• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Man, I am buying the OST for this game the second it is released. I don't normally plug in my headphones for 3DS gaming, but SMT4 is an exception.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Demon in party has Agilao, Bufu and Rukunda.

Levels up.

Says "I've been thinking of changing my Rakunda to Bufula"

Busaiku

pRkrMfP.jpg

Oh my

I knew I wasn't crazy when I saw Burroghs's clothes.

Vice

Hmm. I'm thinking of selling some chakra pats, balms of rising and some bead chains to buy all of the elemental and status bullets. Is it worth it? In Tokyo.

Good lord, I don't recall the last time I played something where I felt sure to be screwed if I didn't save after every. single. fight.

Tell me about it. I did a bunch of stuff in a town, walked outside, got ambushed by an off-camera demon who got a first attack and wiped my party out before I could attack. This is a lot more difficult than previous SMTs just because there's no reliable defense. If there's a weakness in your party and the enemy exploits it before you can attack, you can lose the game no matter what level you're at and who you're fighting.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Hmm. I'm thinking of selling some chakra pats, balms of rising and some bead chains to buy all of the elemental and status bullets. Is it worth it? In Tokyo.

Um, buying literally all of the bullets might be a little overkill, but selling that stuff is fine. I sold chakra and bead stuff (and summon stones, and all of the attack items) down to half capacity from max multiple times.

I dislike the interface for this game. It sometimes isn't obvious who is attacking on my squad, or why some demon got the extra turn and not another.

Vice

Um, buying literally all of the bullets might be a little overkill, but selling that stuff is fine. I sold chakra and bead stuff (and summon stones, and all of the attack items) down to half capacity from max multiple times.

I figure all the elemental ones will be worth it. I'm fillinf up MC's skill slots with healing spells and buff/debuffs. Thanks, I usually end up saving all of these "heal to max" items until the end of the game where they're useless anyway.

CSX

So when you buy elemental bullets, does your gun attack count as a pierce AND elemental attack or is it a pierce attack with bonus damage added if enemy is weak to that elemental?

Varna

What about selling summoning stones? They just revive a demon and put it on the frontline right? Would be nice to have all those bullets...

So when you buy elemental bullets, does your gun attack count as a pierce AND elemental attack or is it a pierce attack with bonus damage added if enemy is weak to that elemental?

I shot a gun-null monster with elemental bullets and the damage went through, so I'm assuming only non-elemental bullets do the gun-type damage.

totowhoa

Banned
I dislike the interface for this game. It sometimes isn't obvious who is attacking on my squad, or why some demon got the extra turn and not another.

Yeah it's definitely wonky at first. After a couple of hours you'll be fine. Saw somebody praising the UI of this game the day before release and I was super disappointed.

Extra turns, though, are determined just like in Nocturn. If a character crits or hits weakness, you get an extra turn for the party, but not specifically for the demon that won the extra turn.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Oh lol, I lost (Second boss)
Medusa
in a random battle and I chose to wait until a town to resurrect her...She popped back out in a random encounter, and literally told me she had something important to do, and that she had brought me an item back hahaha.

totowhoa

Banned
Welp... last question. Does the skill Drain exist?

If so, I'm going to avoid Strength and simply do a Magic/Agility/??? build. Can magic skills crit?

Yeah, a couple of variations for drain moves. Magic can't crit. Phys is rarely a weakness, while magic often is, so that's pretty much the trade off. Some phys have a high crit rate a low hit rate that can be offset by investing in luck and/or by casting pricey buff skills. Lots of people in here seem to have had good results from pumping up luck to land those power hits with a phys build.

I'm already getting tired of demon recruitment. It's so shallow and random that I can't help but wish it was designed in a way that was more interesting or challenging in a meaningful way.

Aeana

I'm already getting tired of demon recruitment. It's so shallow and random that I can't help but wish it was designed in a way that was more interesting or challenging in a meaningful way.
I do wish that they brought some of the interesting things Raidou 2 did with negotiation in. Letting other demons chime in to help you has kinda been a thing in the past, but Raidou 2 really ran with that.

Yeah, a couple of variations for drain moves. Magic can't crit. Phys is rarely a weakness, while magic often is, so that's pretty much the trade off. Some phys have a high crit rate a low hit rate that can be offset by investing in luck and/or by casting pricey buff skills. Lots of people in here seem to have had good results from pumping up luck to land those power hits with a phys build.

Hmm so a phys build is viable? I invested points into phys/agi/luck already. But I kinda want a magic character. But restarting would mean having to go through that opening cutscene which is way too fucking long.

Yeah it is all randomized now and utter shit. I'm bored of it already and only recruited 3 demons.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm level 40 and it's still a pain. The lack of a dedicated defense stat is making levels more trivial than they used to be.
That's exactly what I thought when I was looking at these extreme builds. At first I thought "what if they screw up your defense" and then it hit me, there's no Endurance or Defense in this game, and HP scale automatically. So regardless of how distribute your points, your defense will remain the same. The only thing you have control over is how to switch up your resistances.

totowhoa

Banned
Hmm so a phys build is viable? I invested points into phys/agi/luck already. But I kinda want a magic character. But restarting would mean having to go through that opening cutscene which is way too fucking long.

Yeah it is all randomized now and utter shit. I'm bored of it already and only recruited 3 demons.

Demon recruiting gets a little better as you start to understand how certain personalities work. some demons are really rough to work with, though. I also just learned from this thread tonight that you can just choose "end talks" after doing two or three things for them and they'll usually join you then.

And don't worry -- you can very easily change your build where you're at. You could still change it several hours from now.

Demon recruiting gets a little better as you start to understand how certain personalities work. some demons are really rough to work with, though. I also just learned from this thread tonight that you can just choose "end talks" after doing two or three things for them and they'll usually join you then.

And don't worry -- you can very easily change your build where you're at. You could still change it several hours from now.

According to google, no. It is all randomized unlike in Strange Journey. So nah, it isn't going to get easier because personality no longer impacts recruitment.

And while I could change my build, it is 10 wasted points. That's gonna haunt me.

totowhoa

Banned
According to google, no. It is all randomized unlike in Strange Journey. So nah, it isn't going to get easier because personality no longer impacts recruitment.

And while I could change my build, it is 10 wasted points. That's gonna haunt me.

Must all be in my head then :) It was frustrating me that the demons traditionally treated as kids weren't responding the way I would have expected.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Holy crap, all these past 5 or so hours at Tokyo I thought I was doing story missions, but just realized they are just side-missions.

Teknoman

All I know is that Fallen seem to be pretty reasonable...and alot of the time demons of the same type respond in similar way to each other.

The randomization really bugs me. I talked to a demon and they asked the same question twice, I answered the same way twice, the first time it worked and the second time it didn't. It's really dumb because it feels like luck instead of actually having any sort of skill related to it.

The randomization really bugs me. I talked to a demon and they asked the same question twice, I answered the same way twice, the first time it worked and the second time it didn't. It's really dumb because it feels like luck instead of actually having any sort of skill related to it.

Probably feels like luck because it IS luck!!!

PK Gaming

I pretty much stopped recruiting demons at a certain point (I pretty much only recruit low level demons and use them as fusion fodder). Gotta jump on the Fusion train baby!

totowhoa

Banned

Hua Po was the most frustrating demon to try and recruit. I probably talked to almost ten of them before it worked out. I was happy to see I wasn't alone when I went to Google about this one. Some coarse language about her over on GameFAQs... fourth result when searching "hua po smt iv" :p Never had any problems like that otherwise though.

Top Bottom