• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Lmao at this demon conversation:

Demon: Did you run away from mommy?

Me: My mother passed away.

Demon: I guess I shouldn't have said that. Let me be your mom.

Demon joins party.

Riposte

I got to say... the heavy focus on manual saving is killing my mood to play this game. Saving constantly stinks (tedious and breaks immersion) and getting punished for not doing it sucks too (stuff like negotiations are seemingly designed to make players save-scum). I don't know if I'll last more than ten hours. Seems pretty vulnerable to grinding too, which is another thing that kills my interest in games.

Anyway, I have the code for the amazon pre-order which I don't want... I should probably give it away to someone. Actually, I'll probably just include it when I sell this back to Amazon at some point. It is a pipe-dream, but if I could exchange it for a Fire Emblem Awakening nintendo club code, that would be amazing.

Varna

Demon joins party.

My favorite one was with a FOUL demon.

I forgot the exact exchange but it ended with the demon saying something like, " I'll just go with you. Because if I die in your computer you will just revive me!"

I got to say... the heavy focus on manual saving is killing my mood to play this game. Saving constantly stinks (tedious and breaks immersion) and getting punished for not doing it sucks too (stuff like negotiations are seemingly designed to make players save-scum). I don't know if I'll last more than ten hours. Seems pretty vulnerable to grinding too, which is another thing that kills my interest in games.

If you keep dying you will eventually unlock an easier mode. Not sure how much that helps though. As for the conversations they are actually much better now because you can earn experience through conversations and if the demon just takes your shit and attacks you can get your items and cash back after the fight. This is a huge step up from previous games were you just wasted your time and had your items stolen from you.

Did you play Nocturne or DDS? Not sure what people were expecting coming from those games.

RedSwirl

Okay so I've only made it as far as the first training mission but I've started to think about the setting a lot.

I haven't played any other main SMT game (will I want to after this?) but I heard Nocturne takes place in post-apocalyptic Tokyo. Looking at the setting here, I'm thinking that this is the same or a similar post-apocalyptic setting but like centuries later or something, long enough for an entire new advanced society to have arisen.

Is anybody finding female demons to be a bit easier to recruit?

Not me. The boys seem to like me though.

Post Shinjuku spoiler question:
where do I go to on the map to get to Ikebekuro? I did the Seat of Government quest as well. Still haven't met any leaders of the factions yet. I got a talisman though. Any assist?

LostAnkh

Breezed through about 4 quests and am in
Kasumigaseki
This game is really manageable, once you get the hang of fusing demons to the enemies around you.
I don't get why some people are having a hard time with this game.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Okay so I've only made it as far as the first training mission but I've started to think about the setting a lot.

I haven't played any other main SMT game (will I want to after this?) but I heard Nocturne takes place in post-apocalyptic Tokyo. Looking at the setting here, I'm thinking that this is the same or a similar post-apocalyptic setting but like centuries later or something, long enough for an entire new advanced society to have arisen.

Keep playing to find out more! :D

where do I go to on the map to get to Ikebekuro? I did the Seat of Government quest as well. Still haven't met any leaders of the factions yet. I got a talisman though. Any assist?

There is an underground tunnel near where you crossed the river to get to Shinjuku.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

You have to (story spoilers)
walk back into the poison, take the tunnel once and then find the tall building on the world map. You'll meet Kaga of the Circle of Gaea and use the talisman to proceed

pariah164

There's a Hathor I'd like to fuse, but I'm four levels short. Is there any place before the
Centaur
boss that is good for leveling up?

Varna

Dying isn't really the problem. I've only died a few times against bosses. It is the sheer busywork involved with saving.

Wait... so you are just quick saving/loading to avoid losing items from conversations?

You just gotta get over that because there is a huge luck factor in it. You can have the same demon, same conversation options and it won't play out the same way twice. In the older games there was moon phases that possibly had an effect on this but now it's all pretty random. I'm thinking demons have some innate personalities based on their type so just try and recall what works with certain demon types... but again, luck factor and all that.

One tip I can give you is never give them anything good. Refuse until it's macca, life stone or some other junk you have a ton of.

shinjuku spoiler question

Now that I have that bloody talisman, I'm to find the library right? Where is it? I'm so lost. What/where exactly am I supposed to head to?

edit: this was answered above already please disregard!

MC build @ lv. 30

MY40UP4.jpg

Going to stop putting Luck points and focus on Magic for a while to increase my damage output.

I kinda regret not going Physical and Gun at this point, the elemental and status bullets look fun to use and mess with.

Goby

Banned
There's a trick to negotiations.

After the demon asks twice for something choose end talks.

Around 85% of the time they'll so oh I got enough and join you.

Mupod

Wait... so you are just quick saving/loading to avoid losing items from conversations?

You just gotta get over that because there is a huge luck factor in it. You can have the same demon, same conversation options and it won't play out the same way twice. In the older games there was moon phases that possibly had an effect on this but now it's all pretty random. I'm thinking demons have some innate personalities based on their type so just try and recall what works with certain demon types... but again, luck factor and all that.

One tip I can give you is never give them anything good. Refuse until it's macca, life stone or some other junk you have a ton of.

My system is - give them any trivial items they want until the 'end talks' prompt comes up. If the item they are asking for at that screen is a life stone or medicine give it to them, if it's anything else then end talks. If they ask for macca or something rare before that point, pick 'cheat'. If you don't have the item, picking 'don't have it' seems to always be a safe choice.

from my experience, end talks results in the demon joining you almost always. I've only seen it fail maybe twice. I recruit constantly and always come out ahead items-wise, I do have scouting apps and high luck (not sure if this affects items you get). But i don't have expert scout because it seems like a waste of points considering I find recruitment easy now.

Varna

How are people taking pics of their game like that?

Wish there was different MC portraits based on your build. One for str, dex and mag.

Bogeypop

Demon joins party.

I had a Napaea join me early on because she farted and didn't want me telling anyone else about it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I was negotiating with a lv 14 demon. Halfway through, I realize that doh, I'm only level 13. So, I just decide to end talks. The demon leaves but introduces me to her level 13 friend and he instantly joins. =O

Yuterald

7 hours in and I have finally gazed upon the stars beneath the earth. The "real" SMT IV has begun. RPG/Game of the Year, at the moment. Favorite 3DS game (with Crimson Shroud following it).

So, 10 more years until we get another RPG like this?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Where am I supposed to go after getting to Tokyo?

I have gone to a bunch of places and collected artifacts, but now I feel like I've been everywhere and talked to everyone. And I don't have any meaningful main quests to provide any real direction.

The only thing I've really done is:
killed some boss to unlock the teleporter in the town

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Where am I supposed to go after getting to Tokyo?

I have gone to a bunch of places and collected artifacts, but now I feel like I've been everywhere and talked to everyone. And I don't have any meaningful main quests to provide any real direction.

The only thing I've really done is:
killed some boss to unlock the teleporter in the town

Did you open the "bridge"?

if not, you gotta go kill a demon at a park and return to the place where a bunch of ghostly looking horses are

PK Gaming

Last night, a couple of people were giving up on the Hunter Tournament Prelims sidequest

I beat it before i went to bed. The only way you could beat it was knowing what enemies you fight in each wave and switch your party accordingly before killing the last guy on the previous wave.

So after about five deaths, heres the quick word doc i typed up. to get me through it.

KILL ALL DEMONS FIRST BEFORE THE HUNTER
First guy

Nue – Weak to gun/force. Drains Elec. Does Elec and physical attack
Hairy jack – weak to light, resist dark, does war cry and physicals
Inugami – weak to light and force, repels fre, does fire and rakuna

2nd guy –does lighting

Tsuchigumo – weak to ice , repel elec, does poison claw and elec
Pellaigh – weak to fire, resist poson, null ice, does poison physical
Kuda – weak to gun, force ; repel ice, does ice

3rd guy

Baphomet - nulls dark, weak to light , drains sp, dark magic
Inferno – weak to ice and light ,does fire attacks
Churel - weak to light , drains HP and sp

4th guy
Silky - weak to fire, drains ice, healer
Dantalian – weaj to elec, resist other 3 + dark , does force
Basilik – weak to force, nulls dark ,does physical

Thanks a million.

That 4th guy was such a bastard, his scumbag team kept lucking me out with bind voice. I actually went and spared the first 3 fighters, and decided to kill him to just him even further.

BlackJace

(Boss spoiler)
Medusa
is kicking my ass. Her Multi Gun attack wrecks my weak Pixie and other fairy. I'm only keeping these two around because they're the only ones with Zan skills.

slayn

Did you open the "bridge"?

if not, you gotta go kill a demon at a park and return to the place where a bunch of ghostly looking horses are
No, and I have walked circles around that place. There is nothing but an exit to an empty house.

Goby

Banned
Dying isn't really the problem. I've only died a few times against bosses. It is the sheer busywork involved with saving.

What.

You have to let go of items, they aren't that important. Also you really don't have to save all the time. Build a smart party and go forth.

Also seriously forgot about items. Life Stones are worthless within like 4 hours aside from demon negotiations.

NeonZ

Sun Wukong and Minotaur down! After I was dying very quickly in the dancing dead mission, I thought I somehow had crippled my team, but it seems like it was just too high level for my team at the time.

Varna

No, and I have walked circles around that place. There is nothing but an exit to an empty house.

There is a a bridge in the park area. Just walk across it to start a boss fight.

I'm just a little past this part and this game is damn good. This is how I wish all games in general were... give some some goals but don't tell me how to do it and don't get it so obvious which direction I need to go in either.

Just beat the Hunter Tournament Prelims without losing a single demon. I had to play it very safe though. Duel Megido's, Blight, and Megaton Press win the day.

LProtag

Hmmmm. I can't seem to remember what demons I had that could fuse Power. Anyone want to help me out as to what demons you have access to around the early 30's can do that?

Lucent

Man I really loved
Minotaur's design. It was like the skull merged with the bull's face made so much sense! The skull's eye sockets were the bull's nostrils and the skull's mouth was...the bull's mouth. =D I really loved it.
Also I'm 10 hours into the game but I only just now
activated the first terminal in Naraku.
Playing this game really slow it seems. I keep stopping to catch demons and see what fuses with what and fuse them and then see what other fusions become possible once I have those new ones. Damn.

slayn

There is a a bridge in the park area. Just walk across it to start a boss fight.

I'm just a little past this part and this game is damn good. This is how I wish all games in general were... give some some goals but don't tell me how to do it and don't get it so obvious which direction I need to go in either.
I found my problem, talking to the things that actually want that boss dead doesn't actually give you the quest for it. You have to talk to them, and then talk to a random 'cold man' at the bar, and then suddenly the boss exists for no reason, at which point you have to walk to a dead end that has no purpose and only then will the boss spawn.

That is fucking dumb and reminds me why I don't play many jrpgs these days. There is NO logic behind "talk to random person" -> now boss spawn actually exists.

GeekyDad

Every god damn song in this game is incredible

Yeah, it really is. My two favorites, though, are easily the Tokyo overworld battle music and the actual Tokyo overworld music, the latter being my absolute favorite. I love that screaming synth-guitar sound. There's so much good music, though. Some areas' music, like the Ikebukuru area, make the game feel like a survival horror.

totowhoa

Banned
Man I really need to catch up with some of you guys!

Level 14 and just beat
Medusa
. I didn't feel like I was either over- or under-leveled for either her or the previous boss which is nice. Really enjoying Tokyo now! It's great to have a place to explore with more life to it.

I have been focusing on Mag, luck and agility, with every other level I add 1 to each.

Is this bad and should I be focusing more on magic?

I am putting strength more into dexterity as well, is that sound?

Horkos is amazing in this game. Megaton Press hits all enemies like a truck and crits them very often. He resists phys, and est of all, he has Endure. Revive from KO once per battle with 1 hp. In this game, that is amazing.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
There's a trick to negotiations.

After the demon asks twice for something choose end talks.

Around 85% of the time they'll so oh I got enough and join you.

Thanks, going to try this. Been having a good bit of trouble with negotiating in the first few areas of Naraku. I end up giving them a bunch of stuff in hopes that they'll join and they usually end up taking all my stuff and leaving or they turn around and try to kill me.

Top Bottom