• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Lucent

I have been focusing on Mag, luck and agility, with every other level I add 1 to each.

Is this bad and should I be focusing more on magic?

I am putting strength more into dexterity as well, is that sound?

I've started doing 3 magic, 1 agility, 1 luck every time I level. Really wish you could re-do your character if you wanted at some point. But really I'm trying not to worry too much about it. Having my MC learn mostly support stuff like healing and buffs and then letting my demons do the real fighting.

GeekyDad

I have been focusing on Mag, luck and agility, with every other level I add 1 to each.

Is this bad and should I be focusing more on magic?

I am putting strength more into dexterity as well, is that sound?

I don't really want to offer any advice, as I think they jury is still out on how these stats work exactly, but I'll tell you what I've been doing.

My character is now level 32 and here are his stats:

St: 8
Dx: 8
Ma: 85
Ag: 60
Luck: 40

Obviously, I'm working a magic build, lagging the other two stats slightly behind each other respectively.

PK Gaming

smt4_071013_1600.jpg

This image is hilarious in retrospect.

Very, very, very minor spoilers:
Navarre is not part of the main crew, thankfully.

coopolon

What is the lvl 15 persona who can learn spirit drain? I remember someone mentioning it earlier but can't remember of find it by searching.

Starting to realize one good reason for waiting on an smt game, documentation really helps these games and so far everyone is just as new to it as me!

Edit: Just went through page by page control-f'ing for spirit drain.

Anyone going MAG build: fuse a Suparna as soon as you hit level 15. It learns Spirit Drain, which means you won't have to waste point APP points on MP walk, and you won't have to trek back to base quite so often.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What do the stats Agility and Luck do?

Agility has something to do with dodging attacks and escape change(?). Luck ups your critical chance. Pretty sure they do a little more than that too. The game explains stats early on.
*edit*
Manual says:
Agility: Affects preemptive attack rate, evasion rate, and action order.
Luck: : Affects various things such as critical hit rate.

Busaiku

Does anyone know how to get to that secret area in Shinjuku Station?
There's an air vent leading to it, but I don't know where the other end is.

Kenai

Agility has something to do with dodging attacks and escape change(?). Luck ups your critical chance. Pretty sure they do a little more than that too. The game explains stats early on.
*edit*
Manual says:
Agility: Affects preemptive attack rate, evasion rate, and action order.
Luck: : Affects various things such as critical hit rate.

Luck also affect ailment resistance

Nexas

So I just got to Ginza and
Holy Shit these fuckers are taking all of my macca! I was seriously considering going chaos, but these assholes are beginning to make reconsider.

Varna

Figures. Just bought a new set of armor and a few minutes later I am given a full set of the
"black samurai"
armor for free.

epmode

Anyone going MAG build: fuse a Suparna as soon as you hit level 15. It learns Spirit Drain, which means you won't have to waste point APP points on MP walk, and you won't have to trek back to base quite so often.

Is this a good long term solution? I was about to put points into MP walk but oh god it's so expensive and I'd like to increase skill banks for the MC as well as my demons!

Varna

Spirit Drain (and then Energy Drain later, I guess) makes the Walk Apps not that useful honestly.

Is it possible to get it to work well without putting too many points into magic? Like... get to +10 or whatever the max is.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I didn't see anyone answer this but...the Skill Change app. What does it do? I know skills can randomly change but if this is some sort of upgrade system, I am getting this ASAP. So Agilao to Agidyne? Or Agilao to Posumundi and flock off? Also do we get enough points to buy everything? Or do we have to be picky? Cause I am sitting on tons of points.

Dresden

Is this a good long term solution? I was about to put points into MP walk but oh god it's so expensive and I'd like to increase skill banks for the MC as well as my demons!

MP recovery is good regardless, and as you rank it up it'll just make your life easier.

You'll level fast later on in the game. Don't worry about app points.

I didn't see anyone answer this but...the Skill Change app. What does it do? I know skills can randomly change but if this is some sort of upgrade system, I am getting this ASAP. So Agilao to Agidyne? Or Agilao to Posumundi and flock off?

Boosts chance for skill mutations. Very useful, though nothing is guaranteed.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Anyone know where the
Pest Horde
are at for the challenge quest in Sky Tower?
Just in case you didn't get it yet, right outside the tower, on the world map.

Also, energy drain is good for demons, but MP walk is good for the MC. That way the MC can always attack, while demons are lolly gagging around.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Think I'm going to restart my game. Been pretty indecisive on the build so my Dex/Str/Mag are all kind of even right now at level 7. Not too far in so I wouldn't lost a lot of progress.

Lunar15

Started up this game last night. First SMT, but I'm familiar with the series. (as in, the mainline series) Everything so far has been fantastic. I'm still in mikado, finishing up most of the early tutorials. For a newcomer who also tends to get overwhelmed by a very open-ended, stats heavy game, I have to say that the game has been excellent at guiding me through the basics. The guide that comes with the game is fantastic as well.

I'm looking at going (Mag/Ag/Lu) in a 2/2/1 basis. Does this seem like a viable combination? I like getting press turns, but I'm also worried about running out of MP. Are there decent ways to regain MP?

Also, do you guys generally wait to fuse a specific combination to get past a boss, or are you fusing all the time, whenever you can?

PK Gaming

Started up this game last night. First SMT, but I'm familiar with the series. (as in, the mainline series) Everything so far has been fantastic. I'm still in mikado, finishing up most of the early tutorials. For a newcomer who also tends to get overwhelmed by a very open-ended, stats heavy game, I have to say that the game has been excellent at guiding me through the basics. The guide that comes with the game is fantastic as well.

I'm looking at going (Mag/Ag/Lu) in a 2/2/1 basis. Does this seem like a viable combination? I like getting press turns, but I'm also worried about running out of MP. Are there decent ways to regain MP?

Also, do you guys generally wait to fuse a specific combination to get past a boss, or are you fusing all the time, whenever you can?

Hey!

That's definitely a viable spread for a magic user (STR is useless, and you won't have a use for Dex). As for fusing, well I can't speak for the others but i'm constantly fusing to improve my party and to pass along powerful and rare skills.

Welcome to the SMTIV train, a train that stops and the ride itself is the destination.

Ugh, just got to the first real challenge
minotaur
. Is there any way to camp out or something in the world? I want to recruit a bunch of demons and keep fusing till i have a strong party but i keep dying

LProtag

Man, it looks like all the cool demons I can fuse right now aren't actually better than the ones I'm using. I was excited for Frost Ace, but due to the fact that I have shitty demons required to fuse him he'll have crap skills.

Varna

I'm level 40 and it's still a pain. The lack of a dedicated defense stat is making levels more trivial than they used to be.

Yeah.. I was revisiting the starter dungeon as at 20 and some of those demons could still almost take out my crew with a single hit! Armor up until has essentially just been for looks and to change the MC's weakness.

I don't hate the system. But even in hardmode Nocturne being 19 levels higher then your enemy afforded you some peace of mind. :p

Goby

Banned
What is the lvl 15 persona who can learn spirit drain? I remember someone mentioning it earlier but can't remember of find it by searching.

Starting to realize one good reason for waiting on an smt game, documentation really helps these games and so far everyone is just as new to it as me!

Edit: Just went through page by page control-f'ing for spirit drain.

Did you just call a demon a persona?

You best be trolling mate

Have you guys heard the good word about Fundraisers?!
After fully upgrading the skill I started extorting a lot more macca, some monsters even break down and hand over 2k+ per monster. And this is just from a few minutes of experimenting.
FGVsT1i.png

App points are so rare and valuable. I need to get the last skill upgrade for Flynn, and another for the Demons, and then the MP one...before I can even think about fundraiser.

Dresden

Yeah.. I was revisiting the starter dungeon as at 20 and some of those demons could still almost take out my crew with a single hit! Armor up until has essentially just been for looks and to change the MC's weakness.

I don't hate the system. But even in hardmode Nocturne being 19 levels higher then your enemy afforded you some peace of mind. :p

On one hand I kinda appreciate that it gives the player a puncher's chance against just about anything if they're prepared. And since the first turn is so crucial for random battles, the need to exploit press turn becomes even more pressing. Admittedly I just wipe everything out with a phys or gun skill in one shot most of the time, but w/e.

On the other hand an unlucky weakness will still get your party wiped in some area twenty levels below you . . .

coopolon

Is zan a physical skill (effected by str) or a magic skill (effected by ma)? Having physical skills cost mp is a really really bad idea, I hate it.

Edit: Oh, I also recently realized if you just leave all search criteria emtpy it shows you all the fusions you can do currently. This changed my opinion of the new fusions system from being mixed to absolutely loving it.

Sleepy

So my team absolutely crushed
Minotaur
(on the second try, though; once I learned it was weak to Bufu it was over). No one died and it barely reduced my team to half its life. Then I almost got SMT'ed by a demon that hit me right after the fight--I didn't have time to save and it knocked out two of my demons in a turn. I escaped by the skin of my teeth.

Awesome shit, man.

Is zan a physical skill (effected by str) or a magic skill (effected by ma)? Having physical skills cost mp is a really really bad idea, I hate it.

Edit: Oh, I also recently realized if you just leave all search criteria emtpy it shows you all the fusions you can do currently. This changed my opinion of the new fusions system from being mixed to absolutely loving it.

Zans magic. Damn near everything is magic, save for attacks that are clearly physical or piercing.

Tries to recruit demon

You aren't the man I'm looking for stand aside

lol nope

Oh her heart was swayed! She joins you

Ok yeah I think the MC has like pheromones or something that female demons fall over for.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Tries to recruit demon

You aren't the man I'm looking for stand aside

lol nope

Oh her heart was swayed! She joins you

Ok yeah I think the MC has like pheromones or something that female demons fall over for.

I stood aside and she flew into a rage.

Perhaps I do not understand the hearts of women!? :<

Top Bottom