• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

There are several hidden quests that you can receive only via demon negotiation.
Which is why it's important to get Demonlingual, as some of them come from the demon types that speak gibberish. I got one from the Slimes, thought it's currently a 3-star quest I don't want to risk just yet.

Does anyone have any tips for fusing good demons? It feels like I am missing out on something because I'm not fusing properly.
When there's a demon with multiple combinations, choose one where the fodder would benefit the fused demon's strength more. By that, I mean that if you're going to fuse a phys-based demon, use ingredients that have phys-based skills to make the most of it.

Also, it may be worth it to level up a few demons before fusing them, as they might get abilities that nullify their weakness. A ice-weak demon might get ice-resist, for instance. This can only make a fused demon stronger.

totowhoa

Banned
Does anyone have any tips for fusing good demons? It feels like I am missing out on something because I'm not fusing properly. Also, is it worth it to go a main dex/agi/lu build?

Just use fusion search ... It'll show you every possible demon you can make then. Just pass on good skills and keep fusing away :) you shouldn't have to go to the compendium much if at all early in the game. You're probably doing just fine!

That build for the MC is also just fine as well. It's what I'm doing.

And yet, it hearkens back to the original SMT games so beautifully. You say "Strange Journey style town conversations," but what they really are is SMT-style town conversations. It might come off as low budget or cheap, but it's clear to me now that it was intended to well up nostalgia for longtime fans. It could be because of lack of budget (and I really doubt they expected this game to do as well as it's done), but it works.

I was actually going to bring that up. The homage to SMT1 & 2 is so obvious. The Tokyo setting is so SMT2 right down to the odd post apocalyptic cyberpunkness.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Even though my MC is not a strict Magic build, I'm finding myself keeping 3-4 elemental spells at all times. Can you guys make a case against doing that? Since I've started focusing on Dex and investing in guns/bullets, I'm hoping they'll take some of that burden.

In other words, what's the breakdown of you MCs skills, type-wise?

totowhoa

Banned
By "play it very safe" you mean don't do any negotiation at all?

Kill some of the demons before initiating talks. That way if it goes badly you don't get fucked. Later on when you're stronger (and have media) it's not such a big deal. If your first talk attempt goes bad you can often try again.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Ok I am half tempted to return this game. I can't stand demon negotiation. I really cant.
It helps if you kill everything except the 1 demon you plan to talk to first. But in general I agree that demon negotiation is a dumb mechanic and always has been. But of the 3 or so SMT games I've played with this mechanic, I've found it the least offensive in this one actually. Or maybe I've just gotten used to the stupidity.

Luck(as in the stat) must play heavily into demon negotiations because I've never been screwed over by demons to the extent that some of you experience.

Nexas

Midtown spoilers
Ok so Mastema is in this game? That's it I'm definitely going chaos now if for no other reason than to give that fucker the middle finger.

Even though my MC is not a strict Magic build, I'm finding myself keeping 3-4 elemental spells at all times. Can you guys make a case against doing that? Since I've started focusing on Dex and investing in guns/bullets, I'm hoping they'll take some of that burden.

With elemental bullets, there's no need for elemental spells.

Right now I have the second tier of each of the four elemental spells, Dia (till I can get Diarama whispered to me), and some buffs/debuffs.

Dexterity and Magic are my highest stats at 73 and 51 right now. I'm thinking about unloading an elemental spell or two for bullets though. Not 100% sure though.

Dresden

This is what my dude looks like right now. I rely on bullets and other demons for elemental stuff.

e: every point in magic is from incense.

OK I'm feeling completely lost at this point. I'm right at the end of the included guidebook having just beaten
Koga Saburo
. So naturally I was told to go to the next area which is
Hills Building
. My issue is I can't seem to find it! I feel like I've been wandering around in circles for hours. Help me NeoGAF, you're my only hope!

Dresden

OK I'm feeling completely lost at this point. I'm right at the end of the included guidebook having just beaten
Koga Saburo
. So naturally I was told to go to the next area which is
Hills Building
. My issue is I can't seem to find it! I feel like I've been wandering around in circles for hours. Help me NeoGAF, you're my only hope!

It's east of
Shibuya.
Look for a
skyscraper with an exclamation mark floating before it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
With elemental bullets, there's no need for elemental spells.

Right now I have the second tier of each of the four elemental spells, Dia (till I can get Diarama whispered to me), and some buffs/debuffs.

Dexterity and Magic are my highest stats at 73 and 51 right now. I'm thinking about unloading an elemental spell or two for bullets though. Not 100% sure though.
That's the thing though, if you're a magic build, it makes sense to hoard magic spells, but for someone like my MC having the second tier of every elemental spell, when I'm focusing on Dex more than Magic, feels counterproductive lol. I think I'm going back to Shinjuku to buy me the new gun and all four advanced elemental bullets during sales... Unless I'm close to a town with even BETTER guns and bullets and should save up!

totowhoa

Banned
The beginning part at least feels more luck based than SJ.

Be super careful. Use flee when it's not 0% (heal before in case it fails), run from enemies on the field when necessary, go to the barracks often, kill dudes before talking, use items as necessary (don't worry about hoarding initially, and always use lodestones when you have more than ten), and don't spend any money on weapons or armor for the first few hours. That'd be advice. The first two hours are a trial by fire if you're stubborn about lowering the difficulty, but I enjoyed it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is what my dude looks like right now. I rely on bullets and other demons for elemental stuff.

e: every point in magic is from incense.
Goddammit, that's a beast! And now I really, really regret not sticking with Bad Company, even though I agreed with you it's essential, for exchange of Mediaram. :\

Can anyone please remind me where Koppa Tengu is?!

Also, file this under how it's almost always a BAD IDEA to overwrite my compendium. I'm finding myself always needing the base demons for whispering purposes.

vall03

Beating a boss by going on the defensive and killing it with reflected damage feels so satisfying. Really tells me that I need to change my strategy from time to time.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Re: Compendium

Does it work like in the Persona games where base demons get added automatically to the compendium upon recruitment or do I need to manually register them? I haven't noticed since I took up the bad habit of auto-registering everyone. :\

totowhoa

Banned
Re: Compendium

Does it work like in the Persona games where base demons get added automatically to the compendium upon recruitment or do I need to manually register them? I haven't noticed since I took up the bad habit of auto-registering everyone. :

Auto-registers new demons

Dance of the Dead boss is the devil. (I don't mean that literally. I mean that in an OHMYGOD I've been fighting him for close to an hour! ARGHHH).
Minotaur!
No problem, beat him first try.
Ares!
Easy. This asshole?? Whenever I get him to the red, BAM party wipe. (Hell, that usually happens way before I get him to red). Had to take a break before I threw my 3DS against a wall.

Just got this game, is everything a damn glass cannon?

Negotiation in this game doesn't seem to play by any "rules", of all the SMT games I've played Soul Hackers had the best negotiation.(those demons are funny)

Dresden

Full details on Smirk are floating around the web now:

-Normal attacks have a 95% chance of being a critical hit.
-Gun attacks have a 70% chance of being a critical hit.
-Attack power increases. Effect is equivalent to three uses of Tarukaja. However, does not stack with support effects.
-Normal attacks, gun attacks, and attack skills all have a 100% hit rate. Does not apply to Hama, Muda, or ailment spells.
-Even if an enemy hits your weak point, it will be treated as a normal hit and not a weak point hit.
-Cannot receive critical hits.
-85% chance to avoid all attacks. However, chance of succumbing to ailments does not change.
-If you have a full, four member party, getting all four to Smirk will heal everybody for 50% of their maximum HP and MP.

I didn't know about that last bit.

Busaiku

So I've gone through the entire Strategy & Design book, as far as my story progress goes.
That's only 40% though right?

I'm already nearing 40 hours...
Someone's beaten at 35...

Dang, I'm slow at this.

Top Bottom