• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

LProtag

Yes my alignment is neutral so far. I've been choosing the right choices/actions

Hope I can continue it

Supposedly there's some big choices that heavily influence your alignment, so much so that you have to stay out of neutral in order to get back into it.

It sounds like a pain.

JJD

I need some help!

I just got to Tokyo and
found the counter demon force building. I need to keep looking for the black samurai but I don't know where to go!

Anyone knows a good wiki or guide I can use when I get stuck like this?

I don't even know how you can tell what alignment you are.

There's an NPC that shows up in Tokyo bars that will let you know what people are saying about you. Hard to read is neutral, I have no clue about order or chaos. I would imagine the responses would be obvious.

Dresden

I need some help!

I just got to Tokyo and
found the counter demon force building. I need to keep looking for the black samurai but I don't know where to go!

Anyone knows a good wiki or guide I can use when I get stuck like this?

The game came with one, unless you went digital.

totowhoa

Banned
Then from this point forward, I'm not overwriting anything. It's almost pointless with the crazy prices... even the discounts don't subsidize the prices of overwritten demons enough.

It certainly makes special fusions rough. I might start doing the same except when a demon learns a rarer skill I might want later. Choosing the skills you pass on makes constantly overwriting less important.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Early Challenge Quest question:

Any tips for Ares? Dude fucking kicked my ass. I then went and fought the dragon at Lake Mikado, who was a higher ranked mission, and beat it without any problem...

Also, with the Buffs/Debuffs that effect Attack and Defense, is it like Pokemon where physical moves and magic moves have their separate offensive and defensive stats? Or will lowering a monster's defense mean they're weaker to physical and magical moves?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Once you progress far enough a character called "cynical man" will appear in the hunter associations who will tell you your alignment.

There's an NPC that shows up in Tokyo bars that will let you know what people are saying about you. Hard to read is neutral, I have no clue about order or chaos. I would imagine the responses would be obvious.

OK, thanks.

(Almost at that point, I think)

Aeana

Once you progress far enough a character called "cynical man" will appear in the hunter associations who will tell you your alignment.

Even easier than that,
your alignment is apparent by your little guy on the world map. If he's spinning clockwise, you're law; counterclockwise, chaos; oscillating back and forth, neutral.

totowhoa

Banned
Even easier than that,
your alignment is apparent by your little guy on the world map. If he's spinning clockwise, you're law; counterclockwise, chaos; oscillating back and forth, neutral.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing... I'd been wondering about my alignment as well.

Early Challenge Quest question:

Any tips for Ares? Dude fucking kicked my ass. I then went and fought the dragon at Lake Mikado, who was a higher ranked mission, and beat it without any problem...

Also, with the Buffs/Debuffs that effect Attack and Defense, is it like Pokemon where physical moves and magic moves have their separate offensive and defensive stats? Or will lowering a monster's defense mean they're weaker to physical and magical moves?

Don't use magic against him, that spell he uses that reflects all your magic back made magic worthless. You can kill him with some strong physical demons and a healer

Vamphuntr

I stopped caring about the alignment. After glancing at the Japanese wiki it seems like you need to calculate carefully the value of each question with the guide to get neutral. So many choices seem to influence it and the they affect your alignments differently too. I'll play the way I feel and on a second playthrough I will do it with the guide.

I've spent nearly 20 hours in the game according to the clock (although I'd say it's probably closer to 15 because I let my system idle a lot) and at level 19, and I still feel like I've barely breached the surface of the game and the story. It's crazy.

This game is also going to kill my backlog because I have some new games thanks to the Steam sale but I haven't been finishing anything else, only focusing on this. Oh well.

Sure, I don't want to let this person who is going to die anyway suffer, I'll end his pain!

YOU WANT TO RESET THE ENTIRE WORLD AND LET CHAOS REIGN

GeekyDad

Level 40...still rocking the dlc armor Lol

Ha, ha. It's a little disappointing, simply because the MC's look changes with each new armor piece. But yeah, nothing else is worth wearing thus far.

As a sort of aside, but kind of having to do with armor and defense overall, the more I play (level 34 now), the more the balancing feels like Demon's Souls to me. You're never that tough. New spells, more HP, and all that, and yet, low-level demons can still eff up your Sunday picnic. I enjoy that. After so many hours of play, I find myself being much more cautious when entering a new area. Traps where you least expect them and all that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
When you guys say "look at the map to figure out the alignment" you're talking about my MC piece and whether it's turning clockwise, counter clockwise, or oscillating, correct?

Forgot to save so I finally used CHaron.....half my macca. Tempted to go back 30 minutes. I always forget to save when I need to, and save too much when I don't.

Ikebukuro Spoilers:

Just beat Xi Wangmu, and that fight really shows why Press Turn is such a great combat system. Really good stuff.

pahamrick

Full details on Smirk are floating around the web now:

I didn't know about that last bit.

That last bit is amazing, I've had it happen a few times while using Tetrakarn and Metrakarn (I think those are the spell names.)

I've won a few battles that I would have otherwise lost thanks to that.

JJD

Forgot to save so I finally used CHaron.....half my macca. Tempted to go back 30 minutes. I always forget to save when I need to, and save too much when I don't.

Don't go back.

Pay Charon and the next time you die it will unlock the easy difficulty at no cost.

If you reload now and want to drop the difficulty for a single fight or boss on the future you'll have to die again and chances are you're going to pay a lot more.

george_us

Just
Got to Tokyo and beat David.

Might be GOTY if it keeps up. Hell it might be the best traditional JRPG to come out of Japan all generation.

Aeana

Is it ever worth recruiting low level demons for fusion material, or should I stick to ones near my level?
The ones that evolve can be useful for getting later demons more easily. For instance, getting an archangel and evolving it to principality and then power might be easier than actually fusing a power.

MarkusRJR

My preorder finally came in the mail. Got a bit damaged (just the box corners) but holy shit. It looks soooooo good. I wasn't very hyped at first (mostly a Persona fan, but I also liked Devil Survivor) but this art book really hyped me up. So pumped to play it after I play a bit of Animal Crossing tonight.

I haven't played any mainline SMT. Anything important I should know?

Don't go back.

Pay Charon and the next time you die it will unlock the easy difficulty at no cost.

If you reload now and want to drop the difficulty for a single fight or boss on the future you'll have to die again and chances are you're going to pay a lot more.

I can't drop to easy!

Kind of wish I was playing Soul Hackers so I'd be swimming in Mecca, lol.

The ones that evolve can be useful for getting later demons more easily. For instance, getting an archangel and evolving it to principality and then power might be easier than actually fusing a power.

Evolve?

Jesus fuck, early game spoiler incoming:
The fight with the Nagas is such bullshit. What are they even weak to?

Top Bottom