• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

totowhoa

Banned
Is it ever worth recruiting low level demons for fusion material, or should I stick to ones near my level?

Yeah, aside from evolution (which I havent experienced) it's nice to have em as fusion fodder. Sometimes I fuse demons before they learn all their skills, and if I have the space I'll pick up a low level demon since they earn exp in stock. If they're low enough they'll learn all their skills VERY fast, plus I've had a few really useful skill mutations... I had counter become mediarama extremely early which was great, and it happened with a low level demon I just grabbed again one time.

Yeah, aside from evolution (which I havent experienced) it's nice to have em as fusion fodder. Sometimes I fuse demons before they learn all their skills, and if I have the space I'll pick up a low level demon since they earn exp in stock. If they're low enough they'll learn all their skills VERY fast, plus I've had a few really useful skill mutations... I had counter become mediarama extremely early which was great, and it happened with a low level demon I just grabbed again one time.

In SJ, using low level demons in fusion meant a severely weakened end product. Is it not the same in this game?

Bogeypop

Man, whispering War Cry + Spirit Drain (think I had a chance to get Energy Drain, but passed on it, which I regret) on my MC has been making Boss fights a joke. Just fought a boss with no MP on my demons (which happened to be underleveled demons I was leveling up for Fusion fodder) and only enough for a War Cry and Spirit Drain on my MC and destroyed it with 3 rounds of Auto-Attacks and 1 or 2 hits to its weak point after 3 War Cries.

brinstar

20 hours in, Black Samurai spoilers:

what the hell is going on with her face?! Am I going to get a hint as to what's going on with these "VIP"s I gotta rescue?! I have so many theories now, haha

Reveirg

To anyone who played the whole game, how far am I into the game?

I just: (~20 hours in spoilers)
captured the Black Samurai in the bookstore

Simply trying to get an idea of the game's scope/length.

Really enjoying it so far, more than I thought I would. I had kinda dismissed this game as being an inferior RPG on account of being on 3DS. I was wrong. It is a step down from Nocturne in some areas (area design, combat graphics, atmosphere), but it also is a huge step up in other areas (overall gameplay, writing, pace). Music is quite different, but on par with Nocturne so far.

Handheld gaming is really getting awesome.

totowhoa

Banned
In SJ, using low level demons in fusion meant a severely weakened end product. Is it not the same in this game?

Yeah. But if you have the space then it beats going to the compendium. Go ahead and grab a couple of weak ones and fuse into a stronger demon you had before, especially since you can max their skills out quickly. Might get a skill change too. Then fuse that stronger demon with something newer.

Basically, if you got the space then snag one -- it's probably less of a concern in the first few hours but you might as well have your slots filled. Always keep one or two fresh spaces open for new demons though.

Before you gain access to terminals you'll run into old demons a lot, so why not

th4tguy

I think I screwed myself over. I got caught up in the dlc and got LVL happy ( I wanted the apps!). Now I'm lvl 99. Not even 9 hours into the game......

Am I really supposed to just grind until I am level 10? Why is the game giving me a midboss fight with enemies 4 levels above me, immune to all status effects, and not weak to any element I currently have? And giving them a free turn to stat up. And giving them an attack that instantly crits and KOs anyone on my team, including me?

Aeana

Am I really supposed to just grind until I am level 10? Why is the game giving me a midboss fight with enemies 4 levels above me, immune to all status effects, and not weak to any element I currently have? And giving them a free turn to stat up. And giving them an attack that instantly crits and KOs anyone on my team, including me?
Aren't the
nagas
weak to fire?

totowhoa

Banned
Shouldn't have to grind much unless you're wanting a certain demon or skill. I grinded a bit before one boss because since I had 3 demons about to learn buffs, that was it so far.

Pretty sure you can recruit a demon with something it's weak to. I haven't had to grind at all and I'm like ~17 hours in.

Yes, some demons evolve into others at specific levels. For instance,
archangel turns into a level 26 principality at level 22, and jack frost turns into a level 25 wendigo at level 20. The boost in levels is a nice bonus too.

How do I make an Archangel? I had him on my possible fusions list before but now he's gone :(

Shouldn't have to grind much unless you're wanting a certain demon or skill. I grinded a bit before one boss because since I had 3 demons about to learn buffs, that was it so far.

This fight is literally unwinnable for me right now. Even with a demon possessing agi.

The demons start of with a +atk buff. And an attack that doesnt deal much damage. I have a demon with a defensive buff but it does jack shit because the second my turn ends they both use Lunge, which auto scores a crit and insta KO's whoever it hits. If by some miracle they dont Lunge, their regular attacks seem to crit my team 80% of the time.

I am level 6, they are both level 10. No fucking clue what I am supposed to do. I've ran from only 2 fights at most.

I think there are Melchiors on that floor as well and they have Agi.

I can't even travel far on Floor 3 since the midboss fight is literally right at the entrance of floor 3, so there being Melchiors seems pointless. How am I supposed to recruit them exactly?

If it's because you fused the demons, make sure to check the "Include demons from the compendium" option in the fusion search so you can see what demons you need.

You can include demons from the compendium in your searches?

NBqkq.gif

This fight is literally unwinnable for me right now. Even with a demon possessing agi.

The demons start of with a +atk buff. And an attack that doesnt deal much damage. I have a demon with a defensive buff but it does jack shit because the second my turn ends they both use Lunge, which auto scores a crit and insta KO's whoever it hits. If by some miracle they dont Lunge, their regular attacks seem to crit my team 80% of the time.

I am level 6, they are both level 10. No fucking clue what I am supposed to do. I've ran from only 2 fights at most.

I can't even travel far on Floor 3 since the midboss fight is literally right at the entrance of floor 3, so there being Melchiors seems pointless. How am I supposed to recruit them exactly?

They are weak to fire. Exploit it! And get a demon that can heal your party as well. Sometimes you just have to get lucky

Aeana

Okay, I'll grab that too.

Oh that's the DLC? Did know if I should touch the DLC because I don't want to break the game.
The free DLC doesn't break the game. It just gives a little boost for the early game. The paid DLC for experience is potentially game-breaking, but that's a nother matter entirely.

Vice

Okay, I'll grab that too.

Oh that's the DLC? Did know if I should touch the DLC because I don't want to break the game.

The two free DLC aren't game breaking. One is hair options and the other is a set of armor that's decent. The 1.99 experience one is the game breaking one.

Dresden

Find or fuse three casters with agi (you can count the MC in this) and end it in one or two turns.

vall03

You can include demons from the compendium in your searches?

Yup, its the one the most useful features with the Demon Fusion system in the game. Makes fusion very streamlined without all the hassles from previous games.

The search has a limitation though from what I've checked, you can't search by Race if you haven't acquired a demon from that particular race, same goes with skills.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The ones that evolve can be useful for getting later demons more easily. For instance, getting an archangel and evolving it to principality and then power might be easier than actually fusing a power.
I had no idea Principality evolves to Power! Nooooo

The free DLC doesn't break the game. It just gives a little boost for the early game. The paid DLC for experience is potentially game-breaking, but that's a nother matter entirely.

The demon you can get isnt game breaking, its just a pretty good demon. You can sell all the exp items for decentish macca, if you also want to avoid the exp use itself.

Alucrid

Banned
So hows this so far for a phys MC

St: 31
Dx: 78
Ma: 18
Ag: 36
Lu: 22

Not really sure what skills I should be after...I mostly use the gun or needle shot +8 lol.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So hows this so far for a phys MC

St: 31
Dx: 78
Ma: 18
Ag: 36
Lu: 22

Not really sure what skills I should be after...I mostly use the gun or needle shot +8 lol.
Should invest a lot more in luck, assuming you already used the incenses. Phys based MC relies on crits for press turns since they can't exploit magic weaknesses.

Alucrid

Banned
Should invest a lot more in luck, assuming you already used the incenses. Phys based MC relies on crits for press turns since they can't exploit magic weaknesses.

Gotcha, thanks. I'll dump some more in there then...and I never used the incenses since I'm an item hog and forgot about the stack in there.

37 luck now!

totowhoa

Banned
Alright.

I finally managed to lure a Malchiar over. With him and another agi user I finally fucking won.

Was about to say that there are two entrances to the third floor anyway :p you are nearing the point where the game should ease up as far as regular battles go.

You've got two back-to-back bosses in your near future that... (strat prep spoiler, might save some frustration)
you should be prepping buffs for btw. If you have a demon that's going to learn buffs soon, then get em. They have the target icon. Make sure your MC has a speed or defense buff. The next major boss in an hour or two was the only the time I had to grind a wee bit for since I didn't have many buffs -- only amounted to one level for the MC though

After those two bosses you'll be on auto pilot for a good while and can finally chill.

Hopefully someone can help me. I'm fighting the
minotaur
and he's quite hard but i am able to get him into the red health zone. I was wondering do buffs stack on one another? and can i decrease his defense/accuracy more than once with the same spell?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The two free DLC aren't game breaking. One is hair options and the other is a set of armor that's decent. The 1.99 experience one is the game breaking one.

Oh ok, I guess it's easier then spending my cash right now.

Nah, man. I'm only 15 myself and I've fought a few optional bosses in Ueno. So I was at least 15 for Medusa. The didn't seem to have much HP, so use what buffs you have and just slam her weakness and hope for smirks.

I leveled up to 15 on the way back since I was just 100 exp away so between that and the DLC armor I managed to win. I also realized I had two demons with Media so when the first died I swapped the other out, so I managed to get to the
second question
and I guess it rather easy from there. Thanks guys.

I've stayed up way too late questing. I also hastily fused away some demons that (a) were probably good for another couple of hours (I'll miss you, Pyro Jack!), and (b) made up a better team than the one I've left myself with. I think the gameplan for tomorrow (or whenever I get more time to play) will be to fuse a few vanity demons (like High Pixie) and then press on with the story. Along the way I'll try recover some of the balance I lost during this last round of fusing.

Top Bottom