• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

duckroll

17 hours, finally made it to Ikebukuro. This is an amazing experience. Everytime I think the game is awesome, it just gets more awesome. I really never thought we would ever see a SMT game like this again. Ever. Not in my lifetime. Omg.

17 hours, finally made it to Ikebukuro. This is an amazing experience. Everytime I think the game is awesome, it just gets more awesome. I really never thought we would ever see a SMT game like this again. Ever. Not in my lifetime. Omg.

Heh if you think that's awesome just wait until later on. I won't spoil it obviously but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Probably a dumb question but is there any reason why these red hands grab me out of nowhere in Shinjuku? Is it to just annoy me and allow demons to attack me?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Ah, okay thanks everyone. I was in the middle of doing a quest and it just came out of nowhere and surprised me lol. Thought it might've been related to that quest I was on.

LostAnkh

Quick question:
I'm found the
Demon Task Force base
, what do I do now? I'm just aimlessly wandering and leveling up.
I've moved up to
Ikebukuro
, but have only run up to the
Ring of Gaea
lady.

Aeana

(._. )

This sidequest in
Ginza
is so expensive.
First 10k, then 50k, then 150k, and then the store that you get access to has things priced insaaanely.
I must acquire more macca.

Kyzon

Sooo I just started the game and EVERYONE is one-shotting me.
I always seem to choose the wrong conversation choice with demons too.

Any tips? :/

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Assuming Store sales are random, how do I "roll" that randomness? I'm guessing getting out then in again doesn't do it. Should I exit the city and re-enter... or does it have anything with real world time? I need force resistance at a discounted price.

Tirod

Sooo I just started the game and EVERYONE is one-shotting me.
I always seem to choose the wrong conversation choice with demons too.

Any tips? :/

Save after recruiting any demon. Don't get attached to your demons, fuse them liberally; typically after you learn all their skills.

Be sure to get the first strike/contested strike. Don't be afraid to run back to the barracks as needed.

Game gets much easier once you get a full slot of whispered skills and full team of demons.

Poyunch

(._. )

This sidequest in
Ginza
is so expensive.
First 10k, then 50k, then 150k, and then the store that you get access to has things priced insaaanely.
I must acquire more macca.

"Make sure to bring more MACCA next time."

Wow, I've been running around Tokyo for a while, around level 25 now, and I still feel like I've barely touched the main plot. How long is this game? Also, man, Shinjuku is enormous.

MarkusRJR

I just played the first 2 hours of the game. Really enjoyable and reminded me of a medieval Persona game. One thing is bothering me though...
Do we ever find out why they have technology like Burroughs, which called itself an AI? Just a yes or no answer would be fine, I don't want to spoil myself on the plot

Eusis

I was surprised how easy he was with my lv22 MC.
I was doubly surprised at how easy he was after he got initiative. Even lower leveled demons could annihilate me instantly if they got that kind of luck.
I just played the first 2 hours of the game. Really enjoyable and reminded me of a medieval Persona game. One thing is bothering me though...
Do we ever find out why they have technology like Burroughs, which called itself an AI? Just a yes or no answer would be fine, I don't want to spoil myself on the plot
For your answer:
yes, yes you do.

twothreesix

Neo Member
Couple of random thoughts:

The amount of random deaths feels really ramped up in this game. In previous SMT games the wipes typically happened when you did something stupid, like taking a party that was weak to ice into an area that was heavy with ice casting enemies. Those wipes most often felt like your fault and you learned to prevent them as you played the game. Sure, there were exceptions, and the series has always had the bosses that you must die to at least once before you figured them out, but the exceptions were rare and and the bosses were typically after a nearby save location.

In this game any random encounter can get the drop on you, cast two party-wide spells, and wipe you before you even had a turn. If the save anywhere feature wasn't in this game then it would be a very very frustrating game to play. The save mechanic feel like a crutch for some poorly thought out dungeon balance.

On the flip-side, I really like the changes to the the fusion system and how the main character gains spells. I'm constantly having to think about leveling up the demons I currently have to gain their spells versus fusing them to access to other demons. The balance feels spot on here.

And the side-quests are really well done. They're short, typically spread out well so they follow a natural path, and the rewards make them feel worth doing. It's weird, but the side-quests are one of the things that have impressed me the most. They don't have that Xenoblade "why the hell am I even doing this?" feeling to them that most fluff RPG side-quests typically do.

JJD

Quick question:
I'm found the
Demon Task Force base
, what do I do now? I'm just aimlessly wandering and leveling up.
I've moved up to
Ikebukuro
, but have only run up to the
Ring of Gaea
lady.

I was on the same situation just a couple hours ago, no one helped...I wandered for almost 3 hours... :-(

Go to Shinjuku near those really high buildings. Look on the mini map to be sure you're on Shinjuku. There are only 2 buildings you can enter there get into the bigger one.To get to Shinjuku you need to pay 500 Macca to cross the river , northwest (I think?) to the first bridge were you had to deliver that demon head. You'll know you're on the right track if you find some poisonous terrain after you cross the river. Just look for a place to cross the river north of Ikebukuro

I hope this helps.

If you want to know exactly what you need to do. No big spoilers.

A girl named Hikaru will show up near the entrance to the metro station on Shinjuku and tell you were to go next.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Does Gun Pleroma increase the strength of guns when they're equipped with elemental bullets? I ask because the game doesn't consider them "gun phys" per se when exploiting weaknesses.

Hylian7

Is there any way out of a domain where the boss is waaaaaaay over my head? It's level 75 and I'm 21...

The regular demons in there are a joke and I can handle them, the boss I cannot though, and after multiple defensive buffs he can STILL two-shot my entire party.

duckroll

Is there any way out of a domain where the boss is waaaaaaay over my head? It's level 75 and I'm 21...

The regular demons in there are a joke and I can handle them, the boss I cannot though, and after multiple defensive buffs he can STILL two-shot my entire party.

I think I know the boss you're referring to. The level doesn't really matter, he's not that tough. You should be able to beat the boss in 2-3 turns at most. If you're having difficulty you need to reconstruct your party. Try selecting demons which are resistant or immune to gun attacks and those who are good at fire attacks. Remember that defense is also a valid offense, because if the boss uses an attack which misses or is nullified, he loses both his turns.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Shinjuku challenge quest
Chernobog is the new David |`Д´|

Getting hit with pandemic bomb and blight before the battle, then mamudon and blight every turn, + no weaknesses (`゚A゚´)

Toki767

About 19 hours in, just finished the part where
you learn that they use human brains or something to make red pills that they give to demons

Things are getting pretty interesting.

I do feel under leveled now though. Most random demons I fight are a higher level than me so I can't recruit any. Although, I'm not exactly dying with my 150+ magic. Still one shotting everything in sight.

Hylian7

I think I know the boss you're referring to. The level doesn't really matter, he's not that tough. You should be able to beat the boss in 2-3 turns at most. If you're having difficulty you need to reconstruct your party. Try selecting demons which are resistant or immune to gun attacks and those who are good at fire attacks. Remember that defense is also a valid offense, because if the boss uses an attack which misses or is nullified, he loses both his turns.

I have no idea how you pulled off your 2-3 turn wizardry, but I used Raijou and Quicksilver and they stayed alive and attacked repeatedly and won that way.

vall03

Darn it, wasting all my time fusing/catching demons.

This is what I've been doing for a while now and I just arrived in
Ginza
. Add also doing some side-quests. I feel like I'm not even half-way through the game too, now I wonder how long my first playthrough will be.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Goddammit. 20+ hours into the game and I *just* realize that ailment resistances/weaknesses and basic attack properties are displayed at the bottom of the bottom screen. smh.

Aeana

I can't say I'm particularly surprised, but it looks like Diana got censored.

BPscL_CCcAAi6-P.jpg:medium

duckroll

I found a typo in the game earlier. It's one of the rooms with NPCs in the Ikebukuro area.
"Defeating the demons that set up he Domains would solve that problem, but Xi Wangmu's behind this..."

Lol.

I have no idea how you pulled off your 2-3 turn wizardry, but I used Raijou and Quicksilver and they stayed alive and attacked repeatedly and won that way.

Well if you have a good team of demons, it's 8 moves every turn. Unless you're terribly unlucky, if you have at least one demon who is null/repel to gun, everyone should survive the first enemy turn at least. That gives you 16 moves before anyone starts dying. If you lose 2 party members in the second enemy turn, that still gives you 20 moves to beat him. That's plenty! :D

I can't say I'm particularly surprised, but it looks like Diana got censored.

Was she censored in Soul Hackers?

AFC

Neo Member
Darn it, wasting all my time fusing/catching demons.

This is what I've been doing for a while now and I just arrived in
Ginza
. Add also doing some side-quests. I feel like I'm not even half-way through the game too, now I wonder how long my first playthrough will be.

This is what happened to me when I played Strange Journey. Save file was at 115 hours or so right when I reached Grus. Had to stop playing for a week for some reason and totally forgot what my plans were fusion-wise. Really have to go back and finish it at some point. It's a real shame because I hadn't been in that sort of groove in a long while, where hours would pass by like nothing.

Top Bottom