• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Aeana

I think the information I got from people about their map dudes' rotation wasn't good. I am definitely law right now - 100% positive - and my dude is still oscillating back and forth. I guess they didn't actually put that feature in the game after all. But I wonder about the people who said theirs was rotating one way or another...

Holy shit, I just got so lost in a Domain with a boss demon 20 levels higher than me that I gained like 3 levels trying to find my way out. I was starting to think that maybe Domains didn't have exits and you had to kill the boss to leave and I was getting more and more nervous with each dead end I ran into, since I didn't want to be grossly overleveled for when I finally got back on track.

Althane

Are Sukukaja and Sukunda equal in effect? (i.e. will I get the same overall amount of dodging from going +1 Sukukaja as I would if I did -1 Sukunda?)

Still on Minotaur. Backtracked to see if the store had anything I could use. I'm still using the Dis Irae sword, which has the highest power, but I see multi-hit weapons and I'm wondering if Luck has an effect on those.

Did pretty well last night with 3 Sukukajas in my first turn (I Passed on Leanna Sidhe's turn, and then was able ot heal up the damage he did from the few strikes that didn't miss with her Media). Got to the second question, guess I answered it wrong, and he got a +1 to hit. I got him back down to -3, but it didn't seem to matter and he murdered me. Well, now I know that humbleness is good. =\

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wow, in that case that makes it my favorite infliction of choice!

Reduces your stats. And it's contagious!

ps this is in the manual~
The manual manual or the guide? Because I was *just* reading the latter and couldn't find the info lol.

NeonZ

And the side-quests are really well done. They're short, typically spread out well so they follow a natural path, and the rewards make them feel worth doing. It's weird, but the side-quests are one of the things that have impressed me the most. They don't have that Xenoblade "why the hell am I even doing this?" feeling to them that most fluff RPG side-quests typically do.

I think the side-quests is where their decision to go with sprites really actually benefits the game. The amount of demons means that almost all of them can feature unique opponents and have the sidequest be built for them, rather than just generic mobs all the time.

Before playing SMT IV, I didn't think the amount of demons would add anything to the game, but it works.

Althane

Also, to be 100% clear: Weapon power only affects Attack (same with Strength), correct? so if I use Needle Gun, it doesn't matter what my weapon is, just what my Dex is, ja?

duckroll

Also, to be 100% clear: Weapon power only affects Attack (same with Strength), correct? so if I use Needle Gun, it doesn't matter what my weapon is, just what my Dex is, ja?

Right. The main weapon power affects Attack, and the gun weapon power affects Shoot. Strength affects Attack and any melee physical skill. Dex affects both melee and range physical skills.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I now have 2 of 4 endings. Going to do all the quests now on my Chaos route file.

Then I'll go for the Law Path on 3rd Playthrough.

Gonna need a guide for Neutral Route. Last I recall it's really tough to get.

Althane

Alright, I'm going to go a different path for Minotaur. Time to get Bufu up in here.

Main character has Bufu+1 (although he's not MAG based, so it only does ~70 damage). I figure if I boost that with some whispers of demons that have Bufu, that should go well.

Time to compendium dive... expensive.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Restarting the game from the very beginning due to me being stupid investing too much point in Strength (10-11 hours file)

1smt4.jpg

Now I am at the point where the team
has just discovered the Counter Demon HQ

Yuterald

I love the Whisper function. I think I almost like it more than the Magatama system in Nocturne. I'm never actively looking for demons that have skills that my MC has, but more than often the skills I chose to originally put on my MC are always getting upgraded whenever a demon I have in my party learns all of it skills. It's always a surprise! Feels good.

Another thing I noticed is how few skills each demon has. In Nocturne the demons had way more skills to learn and I always found myself holding on to particular demons for quite along time (which can be counter productive). I guess they reduced the skill amounts on each demon because of the volume of demons in the game? With demons having less skills I feel more inclined to fuse sooner which is definitely the "proper" way to play. I believe Strange Journey was like this too.

A few questions:

1. I forgot how it worked in Nocturne, but how do demons learn skills? Is it just after so many levels? I don't think it's like the Magatama where you have to reach a certain level with the MC to learn a new skill.

2. Is there anyway to see what buffs/debuffs your MC/demons have during battle? I see no icons on the portraits or anything. I also can't recall now if Nocturne even displayed buffs/debuffs for your part, lol! =/

Althane

I love the Whisper function. I think I almost like it more than the Magatama system in Nocturne. I'm never actively looking for demons that have skills that my MC has, but more than often the skills I chose to originally put on my MC are always getting upgraded whenever a demon I have in my party learns all of it skills. It's always a surprise! Feels good.

Another thing I noticed is how few skills each demon has. In Nocturne the demons had way more skills to learn and I always found myself holding on to particular demons for quite along time (which can be counter productive). I guess they reduced the skill amounts on each demon because of the volume of demons in the game? With demons having less skills I feel more inclined to fuse sooner which is definitely the "proper" way to play. I believe Strange Journey was like this too.

A few questions:

1. I forgot how it worked in Nocturne, but how do demons learn skills? Is it just after so many levels? I don't think it's like the Magatama where you have to reach a certain level with the MC to learn a new skill.

2. Is there anyway to see what buffs/debuffs your MC/demons have during battle? I see no icons on the portraits or anything. I also can't recall now if Nocturne even displayed buffs/debuffs for your part, lol! =/

1. After leveling up, I think it's based on certain levels (I've had demons level up without learning a new skill)

2. Press X in battle.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A few questions:

1. Natural skills, by leveling up obviously. Skills they can't natively get, through fusions.
2. Nope as far as I know. Nocturne also didn't display buff/debuff pictures.

2. Press X in battle.

Wait what? Holy shit, hahahaha.

Althane

Wait what? Holy shit, hahahaha.

Discovered it by complete accident.

Also, beat Minotaur! Woot woot!

Fused a Spriggan with Media and Bufu, and a Petra with Media and Bufu. Sukunda'd him to -3 in the first turn, then used Naga's Poison Claw for about 100 damage a turn, and was consistently getting smirks from Bufu.

Still only beat him with Spriggan having 14 HP left. It was .... intense. Jonathan actually got the last strike, doing about 30 damage with an attack.

i'm not supposed to invest too much in strength? =( i don't know what i'm doing. this game is like pokemon i just want the pretty demons on my team.

Althane

i'm not supposed to invest too much in strength? =( i don't know what i'm doing. this game is like pokemon i just want the pretty demons on my team.

1) Don't get too attached to demons. They are not nearly as much of an investment as a pokemon is. They are meant to be fluid and changed for the situation.

2) Depends on what you're going for, but STR has some of the lower payouts in the game. It boosts melee skills and your regular attack. Dex does the same a little less efficiently, but also boosts ranged skills (gun skills). Guns apparently beat out melee weapons, and can be loaded with elemental bullets, which means you can hit elemental weaknesses.

3) Ask any questions you have in here. The thread is pretty good about giving answers.

Sorry, but I fuckin' hate the thread title; SMT was hardcore WELL before the DS series was even conceived. I mean, why does every even-semi hard game these days get labeled "The Dark Souls of..." something?

Hybrid897

Str focuses on increasing normal attack damage afaik, while dex increases damage dealt by physical based skills.

I just completed the game with the law route and I'd like to go again for neutral, is there a guide or a list of questions and their respective changes to alignment out there?

pahamrick

Okay, how does one get one the path for one of the endings? Is it just a cumulative choice of all your previous actions, or a few choices that matter?

I think I'm currently neutral in alignment, going by what the guy in the bar says (Something about how people say I'm a hard person to pin down, and that's rare) and I'd like to stay neutral if possible.

GeekyDad

Right. The main weapon power affects Attack, and the gun weapon power affects Shoot. Strength affects Attack and any melee physical skill. Dex affects both melee and range physical skills.

2) Depends on what you're going for, but STR has some of the lower payouts in the game. It boosts melee skills and your regular attack. Dex does the same a little less efficiently, but also boosts ranged skills (gun skills). Guns apparently beat out melee weapons, and can be loaded with elemental bullets, which means you can hit elemental weaknesses.

Both St and Dx affect both physical and gun skills. However, St only affects physical attacks, and gun only gun attacks.

As for investing in St., I believe there are certain weapons you can only wield with high St. Whether that's worth it or available to you on a given playthrough, that depends, I suppose.

Althane

Both St and Dx affect both physical and gun skills. However, St only affects physical attacks, and gun only gun attacks.

As for investing in St., I believe there are certain weapons you can only wield with high St. Whether that's worth it or available to you on a given playthrough, that depends, I suppose.

Gah, poor reading comprehension skills. I need to just create a DB for this game in my head or something.

Damn, some of these spoilers marks. If you're gonna spoiler something can you at least identify where you are? For example: post Shinjuku.

I've had two plot points spoiled for me because I clicked really vague descriptions.

Or I'm not going to click any more spoilers I guess.

Volcynika

Damn, some of these spoilers marks. If you're gonna spoiler something can you at least identify where you are? For example: post Shinjuku.

I've had two plot points spoiled for me because I clicked really vague descriptions.

Yeah, and people are still leaving boss names untagged as well. Kinda sucks.

GeekyDad

Gah, poor reading comprehension skills. I need to just create a DB for this game in my head or something.

While in-game, press the Home button, then hit Manual, select page 13, scroll down. The descriptions for all of the MC stats are right there.

Althane

While in-game, press the Home button, then hit Manual, select page 13, scroll down. The descriptions for all of the MC stats are right there.

You know, I just restarted the game and actually paid attention to the "This game uses an e-manual". Bright, I am not.

Yeah it is annoying how people don't follow the spoiler rules.Pretty sure it specifically states you should mark where your spoilers take place, or what they might be about.

I can't believe that
they included a hot raunchy sex scene threesome with Johnathan and Walter right after the epic battle verse the entire Greek pantheon of deities!

ranmafan

Was that donefor US release? I do know that
Master Terion
is also in this game with his shadow dick intact...at least in Japan.

Just checking my Japanese copy now, and thats how Diana looks in that version as well. So its not just a US thing.

MechaX

Hah, oh man, I was just doing a very easy "kill [x] of enemies quest" just to get caught up on my Challenge Quests, and suddenly
SURPRISE FIEND OUT OF NOWHERE. Fucking David...
I literally only made it after he used Blight twice in a row to wipe out all of my demons when my MC had like 4 HP left and enough MP for one Zio.

In this game any random encounter can get the drop on you, cast two party-wide spells, and wipe you before you even had a turn. If the save anywhere feature wasn't in this game then it would be a very very frustrating game to play. The save mechanic feel like a crutch for some poorly thought out dungeon balance.

To be honest, that just sounds exactly like Nocturne/Persona 3 FES Hard Mode. Random back attack, crits MC, game over.

GeekyDad

Anyone going back to talk to the citizens of Mikado upon returning from Tokyo? After a certain part of the story, they have a lot of very interesting things to say. I encourage folks to check every nook and cranny.

duckroll

That's not what I heard though. Apparently Dx affects both shoot and physical/gun skills, while Str affects the normal attack and physical skills but not gun skills. Is that incorrect?

GeekyDad

That's not what I heard though. Apparently Dx affects both shoot and physical/gun skills, while Str affects the normal attack and physical skills but not gun skills. Is that incorrect?

According to the e-manual, it is incorrect. Now, it is my understanding there is a substantial variance in the percentages each stat enhances phys/gun skills, but they do both affect both skills. I wish the designers offered more detail about what the stats are doing.

Anyone going back to talk to the citizens of Mikado upon returning from Tokyo? After a certain part of the story, they have a lot of very interesting things to say. I encourage folks to check every nook and cranny.

Absolutely. The game's director, Kazuyuki Yamai, even encouraged players to go out and talk to NPCs to really take in more of the game's story. There's an entire subplot that's mostly revealed talking to random people over the course of the game.

duckroll

It's not just Mikado. There is stuff which changes in every town and area with NPCs. It's really cool. Whenever you make major progress or something happens which people in a certain area should be aware of, you can expect changes in dialogue. Great stuff.

thefil

This has probably been asked and answered, but are there any guidelines for assigning your stats? I see the guy above me is super geared in DEX, AGI, and LCK. So far I've just been assigning them evenly since I figured that couldn't be *too* bad...

I'm only 5 hours in and level 11 so I guess I could still restart and fix it if this was horribad.

Flamfas

I will have this game later tonight.

I've heard the Neutral end is most desirable, does anyone know of a good, spoiler-free guide to obtaining that?

Top Bottom