• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

pahamrick

Did anyone really go into the fundraising apps? Is that a viable way to grind for macca?

I've got Fundraiser maxed out and I'm averaging about 1k+ macca per demon, sometimes 2k+ before they get pissed and attack. I can usually clear 3-6K macca per fight if I take until they attack, kill the first one I stole from and continue that with every demon in the fight.

Hey gang, come make fun of my build! I should note that I got a LOT of STR and DX Incenses fairly recently - I didn't add any new points to those stats through levelups since they were at 20 and 19 respectively.

9334294193_123997b339_c.jpg

Bufu and Dia? Step ya game up son. I got Media and Mabufu on my MC.

My MC is my main sniper mage, I'd rather he not be the reason that my entire party wipes because one enemy out of six repels Ice. ;)

If I can get him Bufula or Diarama, I'll do that. But I'm not giving him a ton of all-target attack spells. That's suicide.

Midou

Just did some early side-quest where you fight
Ares
finished with 2 demons and MC dead, and when I won, last demon had 2 HP and 1 MP, oh boy.

cj_iwakura

Hey gang, come make fun of my build! I should note that I got a LOT of STR and DX Incenses fairly recently - I didn't add any new points to those stats through levelups since they were at 20 and 19 respectively.

You need to buy some skill slot apps. My MC has seven slots.

Also, anyone know what the Ueno Hunter music is called? Oh oh, yeah yeah.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just beat Medusa, was super-easy once I fused Suparna and Toubyou, who have strong Force Magic, and Suparna had all these debuffs that totally made Medusa either miss or do little damage. No one died. :) Way easier than Minotaur once you found and abused her weakness.

Also beat Ares, the lake dragon, and Sun Wukong...they were all surprisingly easy for me too, bar Ares beat them all on the first try.

Am I on to Tokyo now?

I got me yesterday a Black Frost, ho. He isn't as powerful as I thought though (Ice Breath sucked, so I forgot it so the Black Frost could learn Mamudo!).
I got one just now! I transferred Bufula and Agilao with boost skills so he does some great damage. It's a shame his MP bar is so tiny though. But he's one of my favorite demons, I always end up using him, I had in in Strange Journey forever.

You should probably swap out Bufu and Zan for their second tier spells. You have easy access to them at your level. I'd also get more skill slots.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just beat Medusa, was super-easy once I fused Suparna and Toubyou, who have strong Force Magic, and Suparna had all these debuffs that totally made Medusa either miss or do little damage. No one died. :) Way easier than Minotaur once you found and abused her weakness.

Also beat Ares, the lake dragon, and Sun Wukong...they were all surprisingly easy for me too, bar Ares beat them all on the first try.

Am I on to Tokyo now?

In 5 minutes you'll be.

FluxWaveZ

I make fun of any build that doesn't have the magics:

Do you use Spirit Drain much? Doesn't seem like a skill I would bother getting whispered because of the MP Recovery 2 app.

Mupod

yeah Black Frost was a little disappointing because he's an 'hp type' which limits his offensive ability. I didn't even notice how crap his mana pool was when I fused him, and I set him up as a caster like I do in every other game with Black Frost. However he learns endure eventually, and healing knowhow combined with that skill and his lack of weaknesses means you're pretty hard to wipe out.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
In 5 minutes you'll be.

Cool.

The best part about this game is going into a Boss, finding out their weaknesses through experimentation, and getting utterly destroyed...then collecting and Fusing some Demons that have an advantage and walking right back into that Boss and kicking their asses.

Alec

So I bought that experience DLC and I had no idea it would turn the game into easy-mode.

I was level 99 at 10 hours in.

Needless to say I am having a ton of fun now. =P

I'll second the advice that you make your next app purchase a skill slot. I also think it's time for you to move to higher-tier spells since your MC is all about offensive magic. If the low level spells were all +8 AND you lacked spirit drain, there might be a reason to hold off, but as things are, you're more than capable of shouldering the higher MP costs.

Just got to Tokyo.

I'm so confused.

SMT IV incorporates basically every camera angle in the medium now.

First person? Yep
Third person over the shoulder? Got that
Menu based travel selection? Why not
Overhead view? Got that too

It's only missing isometric and side scrolling LOL

BAHAHAHAHAHA, holy crap. I just beat
Xi Wangmu
through sheer luck. Stupidly, I forgot that Zio was her main element, so I bought armor for my MC that resisted Force and was weak to Elec. My party has a good number of Zan users, including Mithras, Karasu Tengu and my MC, so we were doing a TON of damage to her, but it was clear that one Ziodyne would've killed my MC and ended the battle early.

Nevertheless, for the entire fight, she never hit him once, except for one time when she used Queen's Feast and damaged the whole party. During her final turn, she used Megaton Press and wiped my entire party in one hit except for my MC, who dodged, then turned around and killed her with Zan.

That was amazing. Really tense fight.

Jack Frost has it, and he's really easy to find

My Jack Frost evolved into a Wendigo a few levels ago. I'd need to go get a new one.

I'll second the advice that you make your next app purchase a skill slot. I also think it's time for you to move to higher-tier spells since your MC is all about offensive magic. If the low level spells were all +8 AND you lacked spirit drain, there might be a reason to hold off, but as things are, you're more than capable of shouldering the higher MP costs.

I also have the passive MP regen App, so MP is rarely a problem for my MC outside of really long boss fights. I just need to get access to the spells, really.

Kyzon

Save after recruiting any demon. Don't get attached to your demons, fuse them liberally; typically after you learn all their skills.

Be sure to get the first strike/contested strike. Don't be afraid to run back to the barracks as needed.

Game gets much easier once you get a full slot of whispered skills and full team of demons.

Ah thanks. I was getting wrecked by that group of demons in the training section since all of my normal demons died.... immediately >_>

Nexas

...What? WHAT? I don't even know how to properly spoiler what just happened so I'll just say shit is getting bananas in this game.

BlackJace

The world map is really, really well done. It's so atmospheric and depressing. Haven't really felt that way about a world map since CT.

...What? WHAT? I don't even know how to properly spoiler what just happened so I'll just say shit is getting bananas in this game.
If you're on desktop, click the black square with an S on it, and then type the spoiler within the brackets.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The world map is really, really well done. It's so atmospheric and depressing. Haven't really felt that way about a world map since CT.

Yeah, at first I had some trouble navigating it, but after getting used to it, it's pretty well done and the atmosphere is great. Dat overworld song.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Working on that. I just spent 60 app points on Skill Mutate a few levels back, so I can't afford anything new yet.

Strangely, no skills have tried to mutate on me so far, so I'm kind of frustrated by that purchase.
I think that app affects demons only, or at least 7 out of 8 of my demon level ups since I purchased it have offered a skill mutation.

Nexas

If you're on desktop, click the black square with an S on it, and then type the spoiler within the brackets.

Oh I know how spoilers work. I'm saying I don't know how to explain what just happened without spoilering shit. Even giving my location would be a spoiler.

pahamrick

Since we're posting builds to comment on, here's mine at the moment. Thanks to trying to fill my compendium, doing a bit of the exp dlc mission, and constantly getting lost and doing a ton of fights I'm wayyy overleveled for my area (And I still get wrecked if I come across a bad matchup and my team isn't setup.) Still loving it, though.

yeb

Quick question, if I bought the hard copy of Fire Emblem, but buy the eShop version of SMT4, can I still get that $30 credit deal?

CSX

Quick question, if I bought the hard copy of Fire Emblem, but buy the eShop version of SMT4, can I still get that $30 credit deal?
Yes but 3ds itself must be registered before buying eshop game. I did it other way. FE eshop and retail smt

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Since we're posting builds to comment on, here's mine at the moment. Thanks to trying to fill my compendium, doing a bit of the exp dlc mission, and constantly getting lost and doing a ton of fights I'm wayyy overleveled for my area (And I still get wrecked if I come across a bad matchup and my team isn't setup.) Still loving it, though.
How is that luck working out for you? I have mine at 40 lck and just broke 100 mag. Thinking about stopping pumping it since it doesn't seem to do too much for me.

I just want to stop in and say that I'm playing this game and am 3 hours in.

Its seriously incredible. So far its washed that poor taste in my mouth that was Soul Hackers.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yes but 3ds itself must be registered before buying eshop game. I did it other way. FE eshop and retail smt
You can actually just call customer service and they'll retroactively apply the game if you bought it before registering. It's pretty pain free.

pahamrick

How is that luck working out for you? I have mine at 40 lck and just broke 100 mag. Thinking about stopping pumping it since it doesn't seem to do too much for me.

Ever since I broke 95 I haven't been killed by an instant kill light or dark spell, yet. It also seems like negotiations and fundraiser go a lot easier now but it could simply be me imagining it.

Just finished the Ikebukuro bookstore Domain.
I arrested the Black Samurai. I'm assuming you HAVE to do this regardless, but does it effect your Law/Chaos standing if you refuse to perform the arrest yourself?

I know I'm Doing It Wrong(TM) by actively going for the Chaos path from the beginning, but I really hate the Law perspective in the SMT games.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just finished the Ikebukuro bookstore Domain.
I arrested the Black Samurai. I'm assuming you HAVE to do this regardless, but does it effect your Law/Chaos standing if you refuse to perform the arrest yourself?

I know I'm Doing It Wrong(TM) by actively going for the Chaos path from the beginning, but I really hate the Law perspective in the SMT games.

Alignment points spoiler:
Chaos+5 for refusing to arrest her
I also despise Law pretty much, at least in that game. Two-faced hypocrites

Early game spoilers (that forest area):

I am fighting
Isaccar. I assume saying I consider myself Luxuror is Lawful, Commoner is Chaotic, and ignoring him is Neutral?

Sparing him, does it have any consequences later in the game? Or is it just the Lawful choice? I felt killing him was the right thing to do, since euthanasia doesn't seem inherently chaotic. But since it pissed John off I am guessing I am wrong.

Homu

Banned
I've read that you can't get Ma incenses outside of the last law dungeon, is that true or is that just the best spot to farm them?

Alignment points spoiler:
Chaos+5 for refusing to arrest her
I also despise Law pretty much, at least in that game. Two-faced hypocrites

Damn it and a half. Ah well. I already saved, so there's no going back.
Is CHOOSING to arrest her +anything for Law, or is it just the "neutral" choice?

Top Bottom