• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

brinstar

I don't even see how the majority of the decisions you make even correspond to law or chaos, so I've just been ignoring them and choosing what I'd what I personally think.

Does the plot actually head down a law/chaos dichotomy or is it more of a personal Walter/Jonathan thing?

Nexas

Early game spoilers (that forest area):

I am fighting
Isaccar. I assume saying I consider myself Luxuror is Lawful, Commoner is Chaotic, and ignoring him is Neutral?

Sparing him, does it have any consequences later in the game? Or is it just the Lawful choice? I felt killing him was the right thing to do, since euthanasia doesn't seem inherently chaotic. But since it pissed John off I am guessing I am wrong.

I don't think the choices in boss battles affect your alignment. What they do is give you or the boss a buff/debuff based on the choice.

I don't even see how the majority of the decisions you make even correspond to law or chaos, so I've just been ignoring them and choosing what I'd what I personally think.

Does the plot actually head down a law/chaos dichotomy or is it more of a personal Walter/Jonathan thing?

It's a mainline SMT, so it is definitely going to skew off more distinctly as you move forward into the storyline. Generally, the law/chaos/neutral arc stuff doesn't hit in full force until the second half of the story. At least, that's how it was in SMT1 and SMT2. Nocturne was a little different.

I don't think the choices in boss battles affect your alignment. What they do is give you or the boss a buff/debuff based on the choice.

Not true.
There are definitely dialogue choices during boss fights that have alignment effects. Other ones are just related to that boss specifically and buff or debuff people in battle.

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member

For the sake of being as spoiler-free as possible, let's just say it's both.

brinstar

It's a mainline SMT, so it is definitely going to skew off more distinctly as you move forward into the storyline. Generally, the law/chaos/neutral arc stuff doesn't hit in full force until the second half of the story. At least, that's how it was in SMT1 and SMT2. Nocturne was a little different.

Yeah, it was kind of like that in Strange Journey too, but it felt like the general alignment questions you got asked in that game were more obviously law/chaos/neutral-based.

In this game just doing my job as a Samurai seems to push you towards law, where at other points if I say, spare a demon that doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong I get pushed towards chaos. I guess it'll make more sense later on when the alignments come to the forefront

For the sake of being as spoiler-free as possible, let's just say it's both.

So kind of like Strange Journey?

Yeah, it was kind of like that in Strange Journey too, but it felt like the general alignment questions you got asked in that game were more obviously law/chaos/neutral-based.

In this game just doing my job as a Samurai seems to push you towards law, where at other points if I say, spare a demon that doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong I get pushed towards chaos. I guess it'll make more sense later on when the alignments come to the forefront

Not killing a demon is chaotic though, since your job as a samurai is to slaughter demons. Law and chaos aren't really good or evil.

A shame that Law often has you veer into lawful stupid territory though. But there are sometimes dumb chaos choices.

There an alignment guide out yet? If so, got a link? I won't be using it for this playthrough, just for my next time. Probably going to end up going Chaos first time by osmosis.

Not killing a demon is chaotic though, since your job as a samurai is to slaughter demons. Law and chaos aren't really good or evil.

A shame that Law often has you veer into lawful stupid territory though. But there are sometimes dumb chaos choices.

This is true. Generally, I tend to go neutral since both Law and Chaos are extremes that would make the world worse for everyone. But not every SMT game has a good ending on the neutral path, and Tactics Ogre's incredibly spiteful Neutral path kind of made me want to avoid going down that road again.

This is true. Generally, I tend to go neutral since both Law and Chaos are extremes that would make the world worse for everyone. But not every SMT game has a good ending on the neutral path, and Tactics Ogre's incredibly spiteful Neutral path kind of made me want to avoid going down that road again.

This is why I liked how Devil Survivor did things. The Law path wasn't necessarily awful, and the neutral paths were pretty damn happy. The Chaos path was a bit bad but meh. Though the whole idea of chaos in SMT is that it isn't best for everybody. It is conflated with social darwinism.

Homu

Banned
This is why I liked how Devil Survivor did things. The Law path wasn't necessarily awful, and the neutral paths were pretty damn happy. The Chaos path was a bit bad but meh. Though the whole idea of chaos in SMT is that it isn't best for everybody. It is conflated with social darwinism.

A totalitarian police state sounds pretty awful to me but I guess Overclocked mends things a little.

brinstar

Yeah that's true. I guess I'm just worried that by making too many samurai-esque choices I'm going to get locked into some plan to brainwash humanity with angel-bullshit or something.

I don't particularly hate the demons, if I don't feel they're doing anything bad I'll leave 'em alone. I guess I am truly neutral in this game, haha.

It is weird, because a lot of the earlier SMT games really do paint Lucifer in a far more sympathetic light than one might expect. Even in Nocturne, Lucifer is the only reason Earth has a chance to survive the Conception at all because he stuck his head in where he wasn't supposed to be and created the Demi-Fiend. It just so happens that his whole "freedom for freedom's sake" ideal isn't fully compatible with the human world. Lucifer isn't necessarily a good guy, but YHWH is pretty much always pure evil.

It's a really interesting philosophy, and I'll be interested in seeing how things play out in this one as the plot progresses. Now that the story is starting to pick up speed in my playthrough, I'm already speculating about how things are going to go from here on out.

I liked the
Quitelyesque hippy demon of Shinjiku
and feel kind of sorry for killing him after
"let me soul rest in peace"
line... But then I remember that he didn't give the other people that chance or empathy... Yeah, Chaos demons can be also by pretty two faced hypocrites.

Earlyish spoilers I guess:

I'm in
Ueno
and Im having trouble with a challenge quest involving a demon domain where the boss shows up right away. There is one angelic knight looking one with two smaller demons.

Any tips?

Also
Is the egg challenge quest back up where you fight Medusa?

Earlyish spoilers I guess:

I'm in
Ueno
and Im having trouble with a challenge quest involving a demon domain where the boss shows up right away. There is one angelic knight looking one with two smaller demons.

Any tips?

Also
Is the egg challenge quest back up where you fight Medusa?

About the second, yeah... But:
The mother of that egg is way stronger than Medusa.

Dresden

Skill setup is kind of a mess right now, but all I use anymore is war cry, charge, and either myriad arrows for bosses or blast arrows for groups anyways.

nF4w8Us.jpg

As an aside skill augment app is paying off big time with cool high-level spells that I'll never use. Unlocking Trisagion for one of my disposable demons was nice, though.

A totalitarian police state sounds pretty awful to me but I guess Overclocked mends things a little.

From a certain point of view it isn't so shitty. Overclocked expanded on it and it seemed like a pretty good outcome relative to other Lawful endings in past SMT games.

Skill setup is kind of a mess right now, but all I use anymore is war cry, charge, and either myriad arrows for bosses or blast arrows for groups anyways.

As an aside skill augment app is paying off big time with cool high-level spells that I'll never use. Unlocking Trisagion for one of my disposable demons was nice, though.

Does Skill Augment work on the hero, or just on your demons?

Ourobolus

Banned
It's really annoying how it's some mandatory fights turn from impossible to relatively easy, simply by the enemy not getting the first strike in.
Sentata
(Shinjuku area sidequest) was kicking my ass, but then one time he didn't get a first strike and I was able to Sukunda x2 and Sukukaja x2 my first turn and destroy him.

Ose
(Shinjuku terminal) was a pain in the ass too, but luckily he just didn't kill me with Blight on my first turn, so I was able to get some Suku- in.

Ourobolus

Banned
The "MP-used-for-physical-skills" thing is finally getting on my nerves, too. Trying to get Zionga from Take-Minakata and his low MP is such a burden.

The "MP-used-for-physical-skills" thing is finally getting on my nerves, too. Trying to get Zionga from Take-Minakata and his low MP is such a burden.

Yeah, casting phys skills from HP was never that big of a problem in my mind since heal skills are so easy to come by. Maybe they were afraid Phys would be too powerful.

ohlawd

Fuck and this is why I dislike being able to decide where my stat points go. This shit has GOT to go.

Mine are all over the place, too. My Flynn is your run-off-the-mill magic user with all 4 elemental types and is my backup healer + buffer. I'm about lvl 33 with 63 Mag (I think mine is waaay too low for mage-based character) or whatever. I've been pumping some to Luck, here and there for Agility and... Dexterity since I apparently have a hard on for my gun.

Like iunno, I gotta have a clear game plan, man. I wonder how I'll do if I ignore Agility altogether and just focus on Magic and Luck.

RPGCrazied

Finally started to play today. I put 3 hours in. Damn the start is hard, when you have no demons. I had to switch to easy mode. Now that I have some demons, I might switch it back. I got 2 pieces of the white dlc armor.

ohlawd

I keep forgetting to check the special fusion page.... all my demons suck.

but I do like the lvl 30-something that gets Tetrakarn from the start.

demonkaze

Hmm, i'm a magic build with the following skills:

Bufula
Zandyne
Agidyne
Zionga
Mediarama
Concentrate
Energy Drain
Cold World (I like to have one multi-target elemental spell)

I have a demon with Makarakarn and Tertrakarn and I'm wondering if they're worth taking and if so, for what?

Delio

Hmm, i'm a magic build with the following skills:

Bufula
Zandyne
Agidyne
Zionga
Mediarama
Concentrate
Energy Drain
Cold World (I like to have one multi-target elemental spell)

I have a demon with Makarakarn and Tertrakarn and I'm wondering if they're worth taking and if so, for what?

Who gives you Concentrate? I've been wanting to get that on my main for the longest.

Quick question for everyone: I'm at level 19 and already have Spirit Drain at +5, but I have a demon with Energy Drain and could replace Spirit Drain with it. I'm assuming in the long run it'll be better to have a max Energy Drain than a max Spirit Drain, right?

Top Bottom