• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely got concentrate really early on, pre level 10 in Naruku, it was one of my first spells.

Early Shinjuku minor challenge quest spoiler
where do I find small generator and small fridge relics? They've been on my list for a while and it's driving me crazy not being able to complete them

Mononoke

Banned
Dumb question, but what are force attacks? Have a demon that is only using elemental magic and can learn a self buff that improves force attacks. Obviously if this doesn't apply to my magic attacks its pointless.

Hylian7

I'm a bit confused on what I need to do next.

I went to that bookstore, but they told me I need a membership to get in. Where do I find this? I've looked everywhere in Shinjuku for it.

Xenoflare

I'm a bit confused on what I need to do next.

I went to that bookstore, but they told me I need a membership to get in. Where do I find this? I've looked everywhere in Shinjuku for it.

You would not gain access to it much later, you need to see Tayama and the black samurai first if you haven't, you gain the bookstore pass via a major story event, you cannot miss it

Xenoflare

I don't know where that is, so no.

Once Tayama gives you the kill certain someone quest, transport to Kasumigaseki, go to the over world map, there is a underground passage east ward, (VERY OBVIOUS), go to the bottom right once you are in the underground passage and go from there.

Jessicat

Help, challenge quest spoilers Ueno
need some help with the "Samurai and Hunters United" quest. I just crossed the river, but no idea where to go to start this quest? The map is terrible for figuring out where you can walk.

Dresden

Help, challenge quest spoilers Ueno
need some help with the "Samurai and Hunters United" quest. I just crossed the river, but no idea where to go to start this quest? The map is terrible for figuring out where you can walk.

If that's the one where you hunt for
Asura
, it's located at the western edge of that abandoned area.

Voror

Finally finished my other game so I can get into this!

Been doing some reading on stats and such for the MC to plan out a bit and was considering going Magic first time around, then Physical, then see where I go from there.

So, would a good policy be MAG 3, AGI 1, and LCK 1 for every level, perhaps with an extra point thrown in for the latter stats every few levels?

bonercop

Man, not having played an SMT for a couple years is really biting me in the ass with this game. I keep losing my demons after, like, 2 battles in the first 2-3 floors of the naraku dungeon.

I'm loving the atmosphere of the game, though. It really does feel like mainline SMT.

Eusis

Finally finished my other game so I can get into this!

Been doing some reading on stats and such for the MC to plan out a bit and was considering going Magic first time around, then Physical, then see where I go from there.

So, would a good policy be MAG 3, AGI 1, and LCK 1 for every level, perhaps with an extra point thrown in for the latter stats every few levels?
Well, MAG or DEX, but despite my earlier advice (sorry to whoever I gave it to!) STR is NOT worth investing in. They completely nerfed it this time around, making it matter relatively little to special attacks and mainly only being significant to regular ones. Maybe that actually works out at the end game, but I'd ignore STR, raising MAYBE to 20 eventually at most, and focus on every other stat instead.

ohlawd

Man, not having played an SMT for a couple years is really biting me in the ass with this game. I keep losing my demons after, like, 2 battles in the first 2-3 floors of the naraku dungeon.

I'm loving the atmosphere of the game, though. It really does feel like mainline SMT.

Not to be that guy but uhh.. no shit, man? :p

Varna

That first tournament quest is brutal. Just that initial attack has a good chance to wipe my entire party. I made it all the way to the third fight but by that time the only ones left are the MC with 1 HP and another demon.

TEJ

35 hours in. I haven't been this engrossed in an rpg in a long time.

heck if I think about it the last time I was this engrossed was nocturne/dds1-2 back almost a decade ago.

bonercop

Not to be that guy but uhh.. no shit, man? :p

I don't think Doi has been in charge of any of the past games' art direction, and neither Kaneko nor Cozy seem to have had much input in this game. So I'm glad to see they've managed to retain their mojo.

Dresden

Hey so I arrived in Shinjuku not too long ago. Having a lot of trouble with the Terminal Boss there.. Any tips?

Cast a debuff on him every turn since he'll always waste one of his turns to dispel it. Stack rakukaja as fast as you can. Burn him down once buffed up.

I kinda dislike how enemies just spawn on the map. :(

Cast a debuff on him every turn since he'll always waste one of his turns to dispel it. Stack rakukaja as fast as you can. Burn him down once buffed up.

lol. I love how this exploit still exists with the AI. I remember in SJ that enemies wouldn't dispel your debuffs unless they were at max.

BLCKATK

Is the chance of you getting the first strike random? He's moved first each time usually opening up with Fatal Strike and Blight which is basically a 1HKO for my demons and they are 23+. If I could go first I might have a better chance at surviving..

Sleepy

So intimidating hitting
Tokyo
for the first time :O

...no idea where to go. I almost crave the security of Naraku and Mikado now.

Medusa
was really easy once you aligned demons, attacks, and armor. Is this the secret to bosses? Just like my run through
Minotaur
, it barely took any health off my characters as it kept running into blocks, nulls, and misses.

Also, when does the next round of DLC hit?

Varna

Recruiting is still a pain in the ass. Fusion has been going decently.

I unlocked one terminal.

I've been using this strategy lately and it's been working fairly well.

Give a demon two crappy items (macca, life stones) and just end the conversation. They have been joining me fairly consistently. If they just attack afterwards at least you get your items back after the fight.

CSX

Just wanna say one of the best feels in this game and just about any other game in the series is when you fuse the demon that was one of the previous frustrating bosses

Toki767

Seems I reached the part where
you have to choose whether you want to kill Lilith or not

Safe to say this is where
the path splits?

Jessicat

Last night, a couple of people were giving up on the Hunter Tournament Prelims sidequest

I beat it before i went to bed. The only way you could beat it was knowing what enemies you fight in each wave and switch your party accordingly before killing the last guy on the previous wave.

So after about five deaths, heres the quick word doc i typed up. to get me through it.

KILL ALL DEMONS FIRST BEFORE THE HUNTER
First guy

Nue – Weak to gun/force. Drains Elec. Does Elec and physical attack
Hairy jack – weak to light, resist dark, does war cry and physicals
Inugami – weak to light and force, repels fre, does fire and rakuna

2nd guy –does lighting

Tsuchigumo – weak to ice , repel elec, does poison claw and elec
Pellaigh – weak to fire, resist poson, null ice, does poison physical
Kuda – weak to gun, force ; repel ice, does ice

3rd guy

Baphomet - nulls dark, weak to light , drains sp, dark magic
Inferno – weak to ice and light ,does fire attacks
Churel - weak to light , drains HP and sp

4th guy
Silky - weak to fire, drains ice, healer
Dantalian – weaj to elec, resist other 3 + dark , does force
Basilik – weak to force, nulls dark ,does physical
Thanks a lot! Knew a couple only because I saw 'em up for fusion but those tips definitly helped XD

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Not IV related but related to the 3DS itself.

Anyone have good experiences with any sort of grips for this damn thing? I can't hold this comfortably. After a little bit, not even an hour my hands start to cramp up a bit. I don't even have large hands and have no issues with my Vita, for what it's worth.

Starting this game after just finishing Strange Journey is a little jarring. Got beat pretty bad a couple times trying to recruit starting demons, I'm too used to the 'relax spray' sub-app.

Speaking of differences from SJ, I see that being able to ask for Macca is an App and wasn't available from the start. Are other systems, like a list of discovered elemental strengths/weakness (unless it's already there and I'm missing it), also Apps?

All in all though I'm liking it though, looking forward to playing more.

Bogeypop

Shibuya-related:
Just two-shot Koga Saburo with 2 Cold World (Concentrate boosted) from my King Frost after some War Crys and Tarukajas. Feels good, man.

Not IV related but related to the 3DS itself.

Anyone have good experiences with any sort of grips for this damn thing? I can't hold this comfortably. After a little bit, not even an hour my hands start to cramp up a bit. I don't even have large hands and have no issues with my Vita, for what it's worth.

Do you have the regular 3ds? I get the same thing, The nyko powerpak added some bulk and helps a little, but it is really not very comfortable for a handheld gaming platform.

Just got to tokyo, and damn this game is awesome. Need to start rounding out my demons a little better though. Only one of them has a lightning spell.

What's the best way to farm macca? Only way I've found is to progress through the game, lol.

ok this is driving me nuts. I have accepted a quest to hunt asura but I need to meet up in Amekoyo and look for the ambassador cafe, only thing is I cannot find the fucking place... Anyone know where it is?

Top Bottom