• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Watashiwa

Shit looks like I'm going law.

I know that feeling. I thought I was doing a good job balancing law versus chaos, but a quick check of the Japanese route guide shows that I have a LOT more Law points than Chaos points, rather than the slight Law bias I thought I had. Going to try and reverse course by siding with Chaos during the initial route split, but if I wind up following Law instead of Neutral then oh well. I hear Chaos has some NG+ exclusive demons, so I might go L-->C-->N.

If you don't want to go Law, why not trigger the early bad end?

When do I unlock alignment check?

After Ikebukuro. Go to a Hunter's Association and talk to the Cynical Man. Polite=law, hot-blooded=chaos, hard-to-read=neutral.

LProtag

Supposedly if you pick the top choice for everything and then make some specific choices during major events you can get neutral easily.

Xenoflare

I know that feeling. I thought I was doing a good job balancing law versus chaos, but a quick check of the Japanese route guide shows that I have a LOT more Law points than Chaos points, rather than the slight Law bias I thought I had. Going to try and reverse course by siding with Chaos during the initial route split, but if I wind up following Law instead of Neutral then oh well. I hear Chaos has some NG+ exclusive demons, so I might go L-->C-->N.

If you don't want to go Law, why not trigger the early bad end?

After Ikebukuro. Go to a Hunter's Association and talk to the Cynical Man. Polite=law, hot-blooded=chaos, hard-to-read=neutral.

Yes, save before the route split. I did that and I got my neutral, was dead locked to law

khaaan

Managed to get in some good playtime today, got just a liiiiitttle bit past the point where you get a gun. Now that I've really sunk my teeth into everything I'm really loving it, props to everyone who convinced me to grab this. I think I've been building my character wrong though, I've been going for a PHYS build but my MC's skills are almost all MAG. That being said, all the enemies I've faced up until now needed to have that elemental abuse so I'm not super worried.

Should I be condensing my demons as often as I can? I keep four or five around for as long as they work but whenever I get some extra that have useful skills and are fusable with my main demons, I throw them together and inherit all the useful skills.

Edit:

Where can I find a guide that can tell me if I'm going towards Law or Chaos?

Watashiwa

Spoiler tag, you fool.

What the-- that wasn't a spoiler! Anyone who looks at the box could see it. If you wanted me to add spoiler tags then do it yourself or message me. Christ.

Just to clarify, those dumb questions you get asked by bosses dont affect alignment right? They just give you or the opponent bonuses?

No, those count. Generally it's only small +1 or -1 shifts, so they shouldn't have much effect on your alignment. A few of the main quests give much larger shifts towards Law, so try hewing a bit closer to Chaos than you might otherwise.

Finally got the MP recovery app, are the upgrades to it as ridiculously expensive? 4 levels was kind of absurd for it. Now my MC is way behind on skill upgrades.

Watashiwa

Finally got the MP recovery app, are the upgrades to it as ridiculously expensive? 4 levels was kind of absurd for it. Now my MC is way behind on skill upgrades.

Yeah, the next level is also 40. One of the higher levels of the app restores the entire party's MP, that one costs 70. First level should do for you until you get tier 3 spells; the low item capacity exists to encourage you to use healing items. Do so.

Also, wow. My King Frost's High Ice Pleroma just turned into Trisagion, and I just got my first demon with AGIDYNE. A bit sad to lose the ice booster, but I can't say no to Trisagion. I'll spend some points on reducing compendium costs and buy King Frost back, I don't save demons after they've learned all their skills.

pahamrick

I forget how much the second tier costs, but the final tier (which restores MP to your entire party as you walk) is 70 app points.

Dresden

What the-- that wasn't a spoiler! Anyone who looks at the box could see it. If you wanted me to add spoiler tags then do it yourself or message me. Christ.
Not everyone wants to know there's an
ethics test later on,
or the various other miscellany that goes on with any discussion of routes. Have some respect for other members, most of whom aren't past the first ten hours of the game yet. Things you'd consider minor might not be so for others.

And look, at least I didn't delete your account.

alice

Sorry, I should have clarified that I have the XL.

I have the XL and it's better than the regular 3ds, but I know what you mean. I bought the Dreamgear grips from Amazon, but I found that the added weight actually made it worse. I'm resigned to always playing it with my hands resting on a small pillow - as long as I don't hold it up by itself my hands are ok.

DMG-01

So I've died 3 times so far, but every time I elected to not pay for revival. Do those deaths not count towards the 2 easy mode deaths that I need? Because I can't seem to figure out where to switch to easy mode (lay off, it's my first SMT game :p).

I'm having trouble with a certain boss surrounded by statues.

Anyone mind helping me out? I fused a demon with Zan, but its my only user and I basically lose the whole battle if the boss gets a critical hit, which seems to be often.

Eusis

Sorry, I should have clarified that I have the XL.
If it was the regular I'd have brought up the Hori wheel as that's supposed to be good, but XL... Yeah, I'm curious too, the later PSP revisions and Vita are way more comfortable to hold for prolonged periods and now I'm starting to want a grip for the XL, and I usually don't care for that sort of stuff.

Watashiwa

I'm having trouble with a certain boss surrounded by statues.

Anyone mind helping me out? I fused a demon with Zan, but its my only user and I basically lose the whole battle if the boss gets a critical hit, which seems to be often.

Transform a Gremlin. Also, try to level up that Zan user, teach Zan to your MC. After that abuse whatever buffs/debuffs you have on hand.

Oh wow there's a new breath , acid breath. Noice

That debuted in Strange Journey.

Teknoman

I got me yesterday a Black Frost, ho. He isn't as powerful as I thought though (Ice Breath sucked, so I forgot it so the Black Frost could learn Mamudo!).

Thats kinda disheartening, about the ice breath anyway. Breath used to be great in III. Especially on single enemies.

I just got an ending, spoilers obviously:
I chose to create a world of stillness which deteriorated everything in the universe to nothing. My bad I guess.

Jessicat

Quick question about Shinjuku:
Regarding the boss demon in the government office building...well I said I wouldn't kill it and got to battle a Harpy army instead. Does this affect my alignment/the story in any way? XD

*edit* also, about that paid DLC, do the exp items you get only work on the MC, or on demons too?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Okay so I'm level 24 now, and I found the
military base
. But after doing that mission, there is no more main missions except
"Find all the terminals"
and
"Arrest the Black Samurai"
. I have no clue what to do. I'm just aimlessly wandering around the map now. I found this guy that made me pay $500 macca to cross the river. So I did that, and now I'm in a swamp area where it's poisonous (It's the Shinjuku region) Every time I stop off somewhere and find a Demon Domain, they are like level 44 or level 75. I keep having to turn around and retreat. Where the hell am I supposed to go?

I feel like I'm clearly in the wrong area, as these demon domains are much higher levels than me.

Nope, you are right on track. There should be a place you missed around that poisonous swamp area that will take you to Shinjuku, where the story continues.

Watashiwa

So I hit level 30 and got a new app that
makes skills mutate. What does that mean?

You know how randomly a demon will ask to change a skill? This increases how often they do that, and put down a "floor" so that they don't ask to make a Mazanma spell into, say, Zio.

Random encounter in the scaffolded section of Naraku, around where the Sky Terminal is. Maybe on the causeway down as well, I forget.

Quick question about Shinjuku:
Regarding the boss demon in the government office building...well I said I wouldn't kill it and got to battle a Harpy army instead. Does this affect my alignment/the story in any way? XD

Alignment yes, story no. It's one point to Law if you take the other option, five to Chaos for what you did.

Just reached the
Reverse Hills
. May I commence with the screaming? It's worse than I thought.

Mononoke

Banned
Nope, you are right on track. There should be a place you missed around that poisonous swamp area that will take you to Shinjuku, where the story continues.

Oh okay. I just wrapped around and entered Shinkjuku. I was confused because my map was showing that place (I was at the Shrine right above it), but I wasn't actually there. So I walked around and made my way there.

I was just confused, because all the domain's along the way were insanely high levels.

Top Bottom