• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Lunar15

Before this becomes a Persona vs. SMT shitshow, just know that I love Persona and still think that this guy's argument is absolutely insane.

Draconian

https://twitter.com/MitchyD/status/354998610577985536

"I love Persona (the only SMT games I've ever played, for reference) but felt like SMT4 missed everything I loved about those"

Guy reviewing it apparently for IGN

lol

Another tweet said he only played 2 hours. Is that all you need for a review?

I mean I just look at reviews as fun anyway becasue I never trust game site reviews especially with all the shadyness and their more casual palate but still that's pretty bad.

lol This is the kind of stuff that makes me glad that this is my first SMT and Atlus game so that I will be able to go into this with an open mind and no preconceived notions about what it "should be."

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Apparently you can decide that a game (a huge ass rpg nonetheless) can have soulless characters and "inconsistent systems" having played an hour of the game.....

Persona 4 would be the most boring rpg ever made if I judged it based on its initial 4-5 hours.

KarmaCow

Also many reviewers are complaining about difficulty but I thought people said that this game was absurdly easy for SMT.

I found Strange Journey to be brutal if you didn't pay attention but if you spent a little time building a team for the area/bosses it was almost trivial. Almost to the point where you can easily build a team where you couldn't lose even if you tried.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
"During my time with Shin Megami Tensei IV, all I could ask myself was, where are the typical elements of the series? Where were the rich and enticing Social Links, the biggest and most powerful element from the classic series, ripe with Oscar-worthy dialogue and eye watering emotional connections? Where could I find my Personae, the demons that I would summon to aid in battle? Why didn't I have a party of young, hip teenagers solving a truly enduring, mysterious mystery that gripped me like an sugar daddy grips his girl's hair? The music lacked in soul, without the powerful thought provoking lyrics going along the masterful beats of Shoji Meguro, replaced by terrible sounding compositions without the depth of the classic series that started on PS2, with Persona 3." -Eye Gee En.

Pretty sure I'm close

Goby

Banned
Before this becomes a Persona vs. SMT shitshow, just know that I love Persona and still think that this guy's argument is absolutely insane.

Yeah same. I'm not hating on Persona I'm just laughing at that 2 hour "professionalism" and the lack of research into what he's reviewing

And then I laugh at people who got and flip out or fight epenis wars over review scores given out by gaming websites.

aravuus

They're different games. Why does there have to be a comparison? This isn't Persona.

Well yeah, but it was the dumb poster who brought up Persona in the first case, nobody in the replies is comparing SMT IV to Persona and saying SMT is shit because it isn't Persona.

If this is the dude reviewing the game, then I hope he keeps those silly comparisons out of the actual review.

Yes I totally agree. You were talking about the replies and so was I.

Lunar15

The first post clearly lays out the ground rules in regards to this. So no.

Ah, I'm glad something was said. I love SMT and Persona fans, but sometimes the in-fighting can get pretty awkward and pointless.

They're two different series, literally. Failing to recognize that is a huge mistake on this reviewer's part.

EDIT: Oh, he's not reviewing it. Whatever, then.

I really really hope SMTIV reviews aren't going to be weighed down by the reviewers having preconceived notions of what to expect based on the Persona games. That would be most unfortunate, but I guess that's the price to pay for marketing everything under the 'SMT' umbrella.

Fandangox

Two questions:

Do all initial prints of the game come with Ost and Artbook?

I pre-ordered it. I don't have much money right now, but the Ost/Artbook plus the FExSMT
(FE:A is the one 3ds game I own )#30 deals makes it a really good value despite premium price for the 3ds.

I don't even have a 3DS yet, but I assume the CN offer for registering both games still counts if you dont have 3ds to register right?

Two questions:

I pre-ordered it. I don't have much money right now, but the Ost/Artbook plus the FExSMT
(FE:A is the one 3ds game I own )#30 deals makes it a really good value despite premium price for the 3ds.

I don't even have a 3DS yet, but I assume the CN offer for registering both games still counts if you dont have 3ds to register right?

All first print copies of the game include the book and soundtrack. It's not limited to pre-orders or anything.

Don't know about the second question though.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Two questions:

If you pre-ordered it you're fine.

And no, you don't need to own a 3DS. But you DO have to register the code (for $30) by a certain date, so be aware of that.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Two questions:

Yeah, all the first print copies come with the goodies.

Seda

Here's another one

VentureBeat

I find that the difficulty in Shin Megami Tensei IV is its greatest feature. Like Demon’s Souls and Etrian Odyssey, you’re compelled to throw yourself back into the action, just to prove that, yes, you can defeat that demon without ever needing to restart or revive. What makes that difficulty tolerable is Atlus’s commitment to clever combat systems and easing the penalty for dying. Having the freedom to explore and try new (and sometimes risky) strategies in battle is such an addictive yet satisfying experience. I do not regret the possible hundreds of hours I am going to continue to lose to Shin Megami Tensei IV, and I hope it has the power to win over newcomers to the franchise. I like quirky, demon-summoning high schoolers as much as the next Persona fan, but you haven’t truly experienced a Megaten game until you’ve tried to wrap your mind around the infamous conversation system.

9.5/10

Fandangox

All first print copies of the game include the book and soundtrack. It's not limited to pre-orders or anything.

Don't know about the second question though.

If you pre-ordered it you're fine.

And no, you don't need to own a 3DS. But you DO have to register the code (for $30) by a certain date, so be aware of that.

Thanks a lot! This will become my second 3DS game then!

At least by the time I get the actual System I will have some stuff to play already available.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The one thing that really bothers me is accusation that the characters are soulless. SMT characters always represent alignments first and foremost. They only gain their colors when the Law, Chaos and Neutral paths are set. Hearing from someone who played the game two hours that the cast is soulless is frankly infuriating.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Have you guys thought about what path you'll be choosing? I mean, it all depends on what happens on the game and how much you like the ideologies of the characters, but I'll do anything Isabeau says, which I assume will be the neutral path

Cactus

Banned
Have you guys thought about what path you'll be choosing? I mean, it all depends on what happens on the game and how much you like the ideologies of the characters, but I'll do anything Isabeau says, which I assume will be the neutral path

I always start with Chaos.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I'll go wherever feels right.If
Lucifer
sells me on his path (Oh he'll be in there haha), then I'll go there. Or maybe I'll be siding with law! Who knows?

Whatever path delivers the most content and bosses, which is most likely neutral.

But I'm thinking about choosing whatever alignment choices I actually agree with, which is a first for me.

Delio

Either Chaos or Neutral. I never really like the Law side.

Dresden

I'll go with Isabeau, but Jonathan's smexy hair (and what I'd guess will be Law, going by the cover) is going to be hard to resist.

Neutral, ideally, but I've never gone Chaos before and I think that might be kind of cool.

Soriku

Should I make a review thread? So people can see what the fuss about easily instead of digging through this thread.

Fandangox

I'll go with Isabeau, but Jonathan's smexy hair (and what I'd guess will be Law, going by the cover) is going to be hard to resist.

That hair is literally the one reason I had for supporting Law.

It is simply pretty good.

Edit: Since I have no knowledge of the characters themselves aside from appearance, of course.

I'm totally with you on that! I'll probably go for Law or Chaos on my second run depending on who I think is more interesting between the guys.

DrTeflon

Are reviewers complaining about difficulty? I found to be way easier than Nocturne. The only thing I didnt enjoyed so far is the english VA, but usually I'm not a huge fan of english VA on japanese games.

My review sadly wont be up until late today, still have to finish up some stuff from another work.

(not-self promotion, wont post the review link here mods, dont worry).

Top Bottom