• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Soriku

I absolutely loved devil survivor(overclocked, and 2) so I am familiar with the press turn system, and difficulty
DAMN YOU BELDR
so I am all set. I am going for neutral, since it seems like that might be the true end. Both sides seem to extreme for me. On the guy from IGN saying that he didn't like it because it wasn't persona, I don't know why he can't realize that just because both have SMT name(which is debatable, like people have said) is stupid. Anyway, I am super excited, I can't wait! This game will consume my life for the next couple of weeks.

Devil Survivor doesn't have press turn. Only Nocturne, DDS, and SMT IV do.

Thoraxes

WfVwXUll.jpg

Lookin' good!

My pulse just shot up.

Will any of the dlc be important to the story/narrative or is it all costumes and grind maps?

“To an extent, there will be some downloadable content that is connected to the main story, but we made it to where everything essential is concluded with the main story alone,” Yamai replies. “There aren’t any direct answers to some mysteries, but for example, there will be hints that will get you thinking about information A and B, which will conclude with information C when you put the two together.”

“Furthermore, I believe that using downloadable content to complete a story for a game that the players paid for, is quite rude, and something we wish to never do.”

-------------------------

That being said, some of the DLC are boss fights, and it appears that this week's will be the first (possibly only) one that might connectc to the narrative in any meaningful way.

I absolutely loved devil survivor(overclocked, and 2) so I am familiar with the press turn system, and difficulty
DAMN YOU BELDR
so I am all set. I am going for neutral, since it seems like that might be the true end. Both sides seem to extreme for me. On the guy from IGN saying that he didn't like it because it wasn't persona, I don't know why he can't realize that just because both have SMT name(which is debatable, like people have said) is stupid. Anyway, I am super excited, I can't wait! This game will consume my life for the next couple of weeks.

I don't think these games have "true endings" really. I thought true endings were exclusive to the Persona spin offs.

redhood56

Banned
I don't think these games have "true endings" really. I thought true endings were exclusive to the Persona spin offs.
I only assumed that because in an interview with siliconera, a guy said that the neutral was the hardest path. Also, didn't SMT 1 have a true end because SMT 2 takes place after a certain ending left off. I am probably wrong though :)

Lissar

Reluctant Member
?

The localized version still has the Japanese kanji? Not that I care much,

Well, since every Megaten game in the US has Shin Megami Tensei written across the top, it would be pretty redundant to have it say

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI
SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI IV

I think having the kanji looks stylish.

I only assumed that because in an interview with siliconera, a guy said that the neutral was the hardest path. Also, didn't SMT 1 have a true end because SMT 2 takes place after a certain ending left off. I am probably wrong though :)

Dunno about SMT1 or SMT2. Strange Journey had Neutral as one of the harder routes, but that didn't make it a true ending.

Devil Survivor spinoffs also made Neutral one of the hardest routes, but again, not true endings. I think it is just SMT tradition to make neutral the toughest route because you piss off both heaven and hell.

Frost_Ace

Well if you take SMT2 into consideration then yes, the law route is the true ending of SMT1.

Goby

Banned
No cool intro that segues into Press Any Button?

Pretty underwhelming. Not understanding how any SMT fan finds that slick. The intros of the ps2 games is one of my favorites about them: the presentation, from the intros all the way down the title screens. That's pretty standard fare and lacks style. Maybe the person who made the video skipped the intro on purpose?

Because it looks good and isn't overproduced

Also is based Laura Bailey in this game?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I love the presentation of IV. The UI in particular seems the best the SMT brand has seen. The cutscene style also has a "mysterious" look to it.

minty_jpg

I love the presentation of IV. The UI in particular seems the best the SMT brand has seen. The cutscene style also has a "mysterious" look to it.

I was just thinking the same thing, especially the bubbles when the characters talk (versus the name over a box) making it comic-book like, and the use of yellow and black for a lot of the aspects of in-game user interfaces. Loving it.

Soulhouf

No cool intro that segues into Press Any Button?

Pretty underwhelming. Not understanding how any SMT fan finds that slick. The intros of the ps2 games is one of my favorites about them: the presentation, from the intros all the way down the title screens. That's pretty standard fare and lacks style. Maybe the person who made the video skipped the intro on purpose?

To be fair, I always skip the intro because it's useless.
Nocturne's title screen was insane and that's what made it great, not the intro itself.

IV's title screen is meh to me. Perhaps it would change when you progress into the game? The music is awesome though...

Despera

Banned
To be fair, I always skip the intro because it's useless.
Nocturne's title screen was insane and that's what made it great, not the intro itself.

IV's title screen is meh to me. Perhaps it would change when you progress into the game? The music is awesome though...
I know it's just a title screen, but Nocturne's was so damn good that I have to agree. This one just pales in comparison.

Nags

Banned
Really hoping this thread manages to stay decent with discussions about the game instead of what the game isn't.

That said, I'm getting my copy soon, so this is where I take off.

Teknoman

I know it's just a title screen, but Nocturne's was so damn good that I have to agree. This one just pales in comparison.

Music is very awesome, title screen is ok (digging the pure black and white) but Nocturne's two attract modes were what really grabbed it for me...and i'm hoping IV has something just as cool.

I mean Title Loop 2 let you know you were in for something awesome. Loop 1 was pretty cool too.

Apart from some gameplay vids and soundtrack snippets, I was on a total media blackout for this game. I knew that I'd buy it anyway.

I've always thought that the person on the right side of the cover is totally a girl. And then I see you calling 'her' Jonathan.

Mind blown.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Are demons presented in 3D or are they still 2D sprites?

I feel like I'm blind because I can't see it.

suzu

Are demons presented in 3D or are they still 2D sprites?

I feel like I'm blind because I can't see it.

They are 2D artwork/sprites with some animation.

If you're asking if they are using the 3DS's 3D.. then probably. lol

vall03

Really hoping this thread manages to stay decent with discussions about the game instead of what the game isn't.

That said, I'm getting my copy soon, so this is where I take off.

Shame because thats what happened in the review thread. Can't we all just get along? :(

ZenComp

Neo Member
So looking forward to new tracks and SMT 1-3 remixes...anyone know what tracks will be featured on the CD?
If it's the same as the Japanese CD, which is likely, tracks 1-3 are rearranged versions of the openings of SMTI, II and III. Tracks 4 and 5 are rearranges of the Law and Chaos themes from SMTI. Track 6 is the music that played on the first SMTIV trailer (the one on the Japanese copies of SH). Track 7 is SMTIV's main theme. Track 8 is an organ version of all the Cathedral of Shadow themes, almost 10 minutes long.

Teknoman

If it's the same as the Japanese CD, which is likely, tracks 1-3 are rearranged versions of the openings of SMTI, II and III. Tracks 4 and 5 are rearranges of the Law and Chaos themes from SMTI. Track 6 is the music that played on the first SMTIV trailer (the one on the Japanese copies of SH). Track 7 is SMTIV's main theme. Track 8 is an organ version of all the Cathedral of Shadow themes, almost 10 minutes long.

It's a few remixes from the IV OST and some original music. It's eight tracks.

Cool, Cathedral of Shadows medley should be perfect for accidentally reading the creepy/paranormal thread in off-topic at 2 in the morning...>_> dont recommend it lol.

Thanks! Really wished they were 3D models this time around considering the game.

Oh well. :/

The upside is that the dungeon areas (cities too?) are full 3D, and they can display a ton of enemies in one battle.

ranmafan

E3 was so worth it this year if only just for this.

tumblr_mpql9kPTDK1so34abo1_500.jpg

Just need a frame. Maybe something custom.

Dang I wish I had that. I have the ebten dx special edition wall scroll that came with my japanese game, but I wish I had a poster of the main art like that for my wall as well.

Busaiku

I know encounters are not random or anything, but how easy is it to avoid them?
Like Persona 3, or are they more/less aggressive.

ZenComp

Neo Member
Generally more aggressive and in some cases they'll just jump up from the top of buildings or appear bellow you.
It's not impossible to avoid them most of the time though.

ranmafan

Depends on the situation. But without going into spoilers, there is difficultly in avoiding enemy's and such many times in the game.

Pretty much what ZenComp said, though there are points when they ambush you, already hostile from the start. You gotta have quick fingers to avoid a pre-emptive strike.

I think it's the way the camera tilts or zooms to draw attention to another character when he speaks. It somehow makes it seem more dynamic or something. (It does the same thing when you finish off enemies with skills in battle, too)

I just stumbled upon one of the DLC-only themes while browsing Youtube and it's so fricking goooddd. I might buy the DLC just to listen to it officially.

Top Bottom