• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Goby

Banned
It really is. You have to play the game more to see where the world envelopes and what the characters become.

It's part of the reason I am REALLY angry about the games cover art as it spoils the character alignments.

What?

I mean you can always tell in like the first half hour what alignment someone represents

Are reviewers complaining about difficulty? I found to be way easier than Nocturne. The only thing I didnt enjoyed so far is the english VA, but usually I'm not a huge fan of english VA on japanese games.

My review sadly wont be up until late today, still have to finish up some stuff from another work.

(not-self promotion, wont post the review link here mods, dont worry).

Destructoid's review had a small note about the difficultly smacking him at the beginning and this was coming from Dale North a known SMT aficionado.

Fandangox

Atlus knows good hair.

01.jpg

Trisha_Standard.png

tumblr_m1ohbmfagY1qi96zo.png

jonathan610smtiv.jpg

ronito

I've never played an SMT before.
I'm interested in this. But that price for a handheld game? I hope we're not seeing a new trend.

Volcynika

Working on updating the OP with reviews while I'm on my lunch break, this auto adding things to copying links on GAF is making this painful.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm interested in this. But that price for a handheld game? I hope we're not seeing a new trend.

Nah, we've also been seeing games priced lower as well (Animal Crossing was $35).

It's worth it as the game is packed with content (far more than your average handheld game). And you get all these bonuses if you buy it right away. Especially if you already bought Fire Emblem: Awakening as you can get $30 credit. It's an amazing deal right now.

What I'm saying is, buy it Ronito!

mrboo001

Banned
I'll go with Isabeau, but Jonathan's smexy hair (and what I'd guess will be Law, going by the cover) is going to be hard to resist.

Damn, forgot about Jonathan's hair..... The law route is tempting.

Yep, Jonathan's hair is pretty persuasive.

This is why this might be the werid game I've ever played: My name is also Jonathan and my hair would look exactly like that if I let it grow out....

.... maybe I should let it grow.

suzu

Have you guys thought about what path you'll be choosing? I mean, it all depends on what happens on the game and how much you like the ideologies of the characters, but I'll do anything Isabeau says, which I assume will be the neutral path

I just go with whichever character I like more. (Which usually turns out to be Chaos or Neutral.)

Volcynika

I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink I've added all the reviews posted so far. Almost off my break so won't be able to update again till this evening.

It's not. I think the price is a good thing though. Some handheld games should have a larger price attached to it. Just as well, some retail console games should be 30 to 40 max, and I'm not talking about just HD collections.

Pricing should be based upon target audience, additional content sold with the game, the amount of gameplay content, the amount of voice work, and the rest the things that raise cost.

Variable pricing needs to become more common. You end up with the publisher getting less money because people will just buy used in the mainstream case, or too little revenue due to price being too low in the niche handheld title case.

We've seen the extremes with iOS and HD consoles.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It's not. I think the price is a good thing though. Some handheld games should have a larger price attached to it. Just as well, some retail console games should be 30 to 40 max, and I'm not talking about just HD collections.

Pricing should be based upon target audience, additional content sold with the game, the amount of gameplay content, the amount of voice work, and the rest the things that raise cost.

Some people disagree with this opinion, but I see no problem in having a higher than normal price when a game offers this much content, specially of such a high quality. I have no problem in paying $50 for IV, and I'd even pay $60 if they asked for it. I have gotten so much value out of the franchise that I'm honestly Atlus' bitch now.

coopolon

I just bought a 3ds xl and this will be the first game I play on it. Preordered on amazon.

Are there any good pre-order deals left? I know it'll be worth it, but $50 is awfully steep and I wouldn't mind saving $10.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
https://twitter.com/MitchyD/status/354998610577985536

"I love Persona (the only SMT games I've ever played, for reference) but felt like SMT4 missed everything I loved about those"

Guy reviewing it apparently for IGN

lol

Another tweet said he only played 2 hours. Is that all you need for a review?

I mean I just look at reviews as fun anyway becasue I never trust game site reviews especially with all the shadyness and their more casual palate but still that's pretty bad.

Sure is easy to hate this industry sometimes!

Fandangox

I think $50 is okay for it considering it has an Artbook/OST included, at least the initial prints do.
Its even better if you already had FE:A and register both. It makes the game's price essentially $20.

I'd probably not pay $50 for the vanilla game though. Since I have not played it and can't tell how good it is yet.

Young Magus

Have you guys thought about what path you'll be choosing? I mean, it all depends on what happens on the game and how much you like the ideologies of the characters, but I'll do anything Isabeau says, which I assume will be the neutral path
Neutral, all day errday!!!!!
If there's anyone that's gonna screw over humanity it'll be us!

demonkaze

Any sites that will be able to get the physical copy to me , in the u.k, quickly? I'm very tempted to buy the physical copy but I also want to play it as soon as possible and the digital version is very tempting.

Mupod

Neutral for life, I'm nobody's lapdog

I ordered from ebgames because they hooked me up a week early with FE:A while everyone else was struggling to find a copy a week after release. In retrospect I could have got this game for a lot less if I used the future shop E3 preorder but whatever.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
"these guys like different games then me therefore I hate them." Come on dude, everyone like different things. Though he should put a few more hours into it at least.

No, that's not my argument at all.

Playing two hours of the game and poo-pooing it when it's obviously something you need to sink your teeth into to understand. That's dumb.

Strongly implying that the game isn't good because it's different from Persona - the SMT game he's familiar with (and whether it's even an SMT is debateable) - is objectively stupid.

His reviews tend to be poorly informed (Silent Hill HD: 9.0 despite being one of the worst port jobs of all time) or demonstrate an inablity to judge a game for what it actually is, instead opting to go on rants about how he doesn't like the genre and then slamming the game merely for being a part of it (Double Dragon Neon.) His tweets are evidence that he's going to do it again, this time with a series I really like. That's a little disheartening.

So, no. I don't have a problem with differing opinions, I have a problem with people doing a shitty job.

No, that's not my argument at all.

Playing two hours of the game and poo-pooing it when it's obviously something you need to sink your teeth into to understand. That's dumb.

Strongly implying that the game isn't good because it's different from Persona - the SMT game he's familiar with (and whether it's even an SMT is debateable) - is objectively stupid.

His reviews tend to be poorly informed (Silent Hill HD: 9.0 despite being one of the worst port jobs of all time) or demonstrate an inablity to judge a game for what it actually is, instead opting to go on rants about how he doesn't like the genre and then slamming the game merely for being a part of it (Double Dragon Neon.) His tweets are evidence that he's going to do it again, this time with a series I really like. That's a little disheartening.

So, no. I don't have a problem with differing opinions, I have a problem with people doing a shitty job.

Don't worry about it man, I wrote that when I was in a hurry on the way out. I get your point.

redhood56

Banned
I absolutely loved devil survivor(overclocked, and 2) so I am familiar with the press turn system, and difficulty
DAMN YOU BELDR
so I am all set. I am going for neutral, since it seems like that might be the true end. Both sides seem to extreme for me. On the guy from IGN saying that he didn't like it because it wasn't persona, I don't know why he can't realize that just because both have SMT name(which is debatable, like people have said) is stupid. Anyway, I am super excited, I can't wait! This game will consume my life for the next couple of weeks.

Top Bottom