• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Watashiwa

I cant find any Gremlins :(

Odd. Just step outside the Sky Terminal and they're around. Well, let's do this through fusion then. Centaur and Bilwis can both be found in earlier floors of Naraku; Centaur on the very first and Bilwis around 3 or 4.

Early Spoilers

In the rest of the SMT universe has there ever been a case of
humans turning into demons? Demi-Fiend doesn't count since he technically merged with a magatama, retaining his human side in a demon powered body.

Like others have said, yeah it happens a lot.
Unwillingly/unknowingly? Raidou 1 and 2, with Red Cape.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Go back into
Ikebukuro Station and go through the staircase that was previously blocked off by flames.
You'll find your next plot event there.
well, shit. I walked all the way to the flame barrier on the far south side of the world map.

Early Spoilers

In the rest of the SMT universe has there ever been a case of
humans turning into demons? Demi-Fiend doesn't count since he technically merged with a magatama, retaining his human side in a demon powered body.

Like people said, Chaos Hero in SMT1, Demi Fiend, everyone in DDS duology, a few characters in If.. Happens all the time it seems.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm level 16, is that good enough to be swamp thing in the pond? He's the first boss that has felt out of reach during my first encounter.

It's good, so long as you prepare fire spells for it.

Oh, and you want to carry poison-dispelling spells/items too.

One of the best overworld themes ever. The whole soundtrack is good, really.

Item shop
jam plays *dies*

See, this game has many great tunes. Then why the hell does the CD music contained in the box sucks so much :(

cj_iwakura

I'm getting overwhelmed by Tokyo, sort of in a good way.

So much to do.

Post-Corpse quest in Shinjuku:

Wow, Dullahan was CREEPY.

I might have to say it: I'm confident this game will top Nocturne. Story remains to be seen, but atmosphere and gameplay? The king has been dethroned.

So a random question: is there any sort of skill or app later on in the game that lets you switch out bullets in battle? Because if there is, I may head headlong into Dex build, otherwise I'll probably stick with my Dex/Magic split.

At level 24, my stats and skills are:

St: 18
Dx: 40
Ma: 45
Ag: 31
Lu: 31
Energy Drain
Bufula +2
Zanma +1
Dia +8
Agilao +2
Bad Company +3
Concentrate

I'm starting to have trouble deciding how to fuse demons because I'm losing too many good abilities/bonuses. Sigh.

Thank you!!
Pdavtdz

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So a random question: is there any sort of skill or app later on in the game that lets you switch out bullets in battle? Because if there is, I may head headlong into Dex build, otherwise I'll probably stick with my Dex/Magic split.

At level 24, my stats and skills are:

St: 18
Dx: 40
Ma: 45
Ag: 31
Lu: 31
Energy Drain
Bufula +2
Zanma +1
Dia +8
Agilao +2
Bad Company +3
Concentrate

I'm starting to have trouble deciding how to fuse demons because I'm losing too many good abilities/bonuses. Sigh.

You raise both Ma and Dex? Huh.........

So I gather it is gonna be difficult for you to choose skills, huh, since you have to pick and choose between Magical and Physical skills, unlike those who specialize and thus can pick one line of skills only.

How's that build carry you so far? Any notable difficulties?

As for Bullet-changing app, no, I believe there isn't any as far as I know.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Stopping for the day. Got 4 hours in today. I just past
the forest and met the black samurai
so far I like Isabeau, Jonathan, and Walter. It's going to be sad to see them get corrupted by their ideals. I like the relationships of the characters that they lightly touch upon. The story is nothing so far but I know that changes.

The music is great easily one of the best soundtracks in the series. The battles are fun and the horde battles are interesting.

The fusing process and the whole UI in general is easy to work and sleek. I also enjoy the new art style after hating it when the game was announced. I hope this art style is here to say. The character designs are great (especially Isabeau's) and the updated looks to the demons make them feel more modern. Amazing game so far.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
WHERE CAN I GET COFFEE BEANS AFSDFFGG??! I can get twenty laptops but no dam coffee as a relic drop Lol.
I couldn't find them anywhere either; then while turning in random "repeat" quests, I received coffee beans as a reward. I was very lucky.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A brilliant ploy to get more $$ out of us when the release the OST? I feel bad for hitting the buy button but it'll only be for a second though!

I mean, they don't even include the battle music for fuck's sake, unlike Etrian Odyssey IV's CD.

And the battle music here is so catchy too.

You raise both Ma and Dex? Huh.........

So I gather it is gonna be difficult for you to choose skills, huh, since you have to pick and choose between Magical and Physical skills, unlike those who specialize and thus can pick one line of skills only.

How's that build carry you so far? Any notable difficulties?

As for Bullet-changing app, no, I believe there isn't any as far as I know.

Dang. I was hoping there was because it would help with my ability decisions. Right now I'm basically keeping regular and electric bullets handy depending on the area/what I need. I thought if there was a bullet-switching app or something I could free up a few slots of elemental magic and put some other things in. Ah well.

So far I haven't had any difficulty, Bad Company has really been saving my ass in the more notable boss battles. My style is slightly different though, in that I don't really assign demons one particular style, instead each of my demons has a mix of attacks, healing, buffs, and bonuses, instead of having a buff demon, a magic demon, etc.

Another question: are the Knowhow skills ever useful? I've been trashing them in favor of what I perceive to be more useful skills.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks, worked great.

It's really amazing how far a little preparation will take you here.

Yeah, preparing is crucial, but luck also plays a HUGE part in many nail-biting encounters, especially bosses :)

I mean, please miss, please don't use those skills two in a row, please get smirks when I hit weaknesses, etc etc etc etc.

Dang. I was hoping there was because it would help with my ability decisions. Right now I'm basically keeping regular and electric bullets handy depending on the area/what I need. I thought if there was a bullet-switching app or something I could free up a few slots of elemental magic and put some other things in. Ah well.

So far I haven't had any difficulty, Bad Company has really been saving my ass in the more notable boss battles. My style is slightly different though, in that I don't really assign demons one particular style, instead each of my demons has a mix of attacks, healing, buffs, and bonuses, instead of having a buff demon, a magic demon, etc.

Another question: are the Knowhow skills ever useful? I've been trashing them in favor of what I perceive to be more useful skills.

I meant skill selection for your MC. If you go physical then you can stick to guns/physical skills and maybe support like War Cry. If you go magical then you can stick to elemental spells, spirit drain, etc etc. Since you go both physical/magical, then you basically need to split the available skill pool into two "sides" for the MC.

Well, not that kind of setup has no value, I guess...

Anyways, personally I find only healing knowhow is useful, since with this your demons can cure debilitating statuses on their own, which saves the MC a turn.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Do spells+ affect the potency or just decrease MP consumption? It's hard to judge while my magic is going up with levels.

Dresden

Do spells+ affect the potency or just decrease MP consumption? It's hard to judge while my magic is going up with levels.

from gf:

What does the +1, +2... add to the magical attack?

Source: http://www34.atwiki.jp/megaten4/pages/284.html

Here they only investigated +8 skills. It appears that:

+0: no adjustment
+1: Final damage +1
+2: MP requirement -1
+3: Final damage +3
+4: Final damage +5
+5: MP requirement -1
+6: Final damage +5
+7: Final damage +5
+8: Final damage +5

So, regardless which magic you cast, the difference between a +0 and +8 agi, bufu, megido, etc. are all 24 more damage, and 2 MP less to cast.

Notice that it seems to be the final, final bonus... after all factors were considered (aka, the 24 extra damage remains 24 even the caster has relevant amp and booster.)

This seems pretty trivial, but such multiplier can be quite significant for multiple-target spells. Here are some experimental differences between the +0 and +8 spells:

Bufudyne (# hit: 1): 24
Ice Breath (# hit: 1-4): 96
Glacial Blast (# hit: 1-4): 96
Refrigerate (# hit: 1-8): 192
Breath (# hit: 1-5): 120

The +8 bonus is applied for each individual hit. So, if you have any of those multi-hit spell, work to level them up.

Andrew J.

Is there eventually a way to manipulate your enlightenment, like that one area in SJ where you could repeatedly rob a demon to get infinite chaos points or help it for law?

epmode

Yeah, preparing is crucial, but luck also plays a HUGE part in many nail-biting encounters, especially bosses :)

I know that this is an SMT thing so I'm supposed to love bullshit deaths but they could stand to be a little less ruthless. I've been in scripted fights in which the enemy gets the first move and proceeds to Blight me two times in a row. Unless you've read a strategy guide, there is literally no way of knowing it might happen and there's no reasonable defense short of hoping the RNG god lets you live.

Rudimentary skill selection AI should account for this sort of thing but I guess Atlus thinks that Save Anywhere fixes everything.

Dresden

Wow, this definitely more significant Than I thought. As someone who's going the DEX and gun route, how do you compensate for this?

I don't think it matters much once you get into the higher level physical skills/dyne+ of magic. You're doing so much damage that +24 bonus isn't going to matter.

GeekyDad

I'm very early in the game, but I'm already a little disappointed by its presentation. EO4 spoiled me.

I feel the opposite. I feel like EOIV's overworld especially is quite rough around the edges, and the dungeons are plain Jane. Fine game, but hardly much to look at.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finally got a chance to really start this up, played about 5hrs today and made it to the forest area. So far it's been pretty smooth sailing as none of the current bosses were much of an issue. Totally hooked on this now.

brinstar

I think it's time for me to accept that the Sandman I've been carrying with me since the beginning of the game is never going to fuse into anything decent

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I know that this is an SMT thing so I'm supposed to love bullshit deaths but they could stand to be a little less ruthless. I've been in scripted fights in which the enemy gets the first move and proceeds to Blight me two times in a row. Unless you've read a strategy guide, there is literally no way of knowing it might happen and there's no reasonable defense short of hoping the RNG god lets you live.

Rudimentary skill selection AI should account for this sort of thing but I guess Atlus thinks that Save Anywhere fixes everything.

Even that is a roll of the dice considering you can at times have the first move, or the boss/scripted enemies have their first move.

In case of boss fights, it can be incredibly devastating if they have the first move; so much so to the point of unfairness.

So yeah, luck. Also hoping your added human support doesn't do stupid stuff, like casting Bufu on Ice nullifying/absorbing boss, which will make them smirk :\\\\ Happened quite a bit of times, shit like this.

I think it's time for me to accept that the Sandman I've been carrying with me since the beginning of the game is never going to fuse into anything decent

I really miss the ability to fuse whatever demon I want with whatever demon I want.

Since in here you can only do so with demons produced by Search.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I don't think it matters much once you get into the higher level physical skills/dyne+ of magic. You're doing so much damage that +24 bonus isn't going to matter.
Wait, so when you say "+24" you literally mean a mere fixed 24 hitpoint bonus on the spell? Yeah, that's... Nothing. For some reason I thought it was some stat that scales up.

Vamphuntr

I finally reached the interesting part story wise. LATE GAME SPOILERS after the Roppongi Hills dungeon.

The angels new designs are so ugly. Michael is the worst, a bunch of arms holding an head, really? Now to decide to go with Jonathan or Walter. Like usual in SMT both sides are assholes in their own way.

Lucent

They can stay on portables but I still hope the next one gets a real budget.

Lack of 3D models is disappointing but it's most notable in the Strange Journey style town conversation sprites and lack of animations in the cutscenes which are also compressed to hell and back.

To me it feels almost cheaper than Strange Journey because of the mix of 3D and 2D.

Yeah. I really want Persona 5 to be on at least current gen consoles though. I mean, they went through the trouble to make the style for Catherine and all that, might as well. Just with the art style that Persona and SMT have, I'd just like to see those more realized.

epmode

Eh... you can use your Compedium saved demons in the search options. You don't even need to summon to your party, just pay macca.

No, he wants a way to fuse a specific demon with another specific demon without having to dig through results lists to see which two demons are used. Unless I'm going for a specific demon, I'll generally just test fusions between all demons which have no more skills to learn and SMT4 makes this a lot harder than it was in earlier Megaten games.

Other than that, I really love all of the filters and search options in the new fusion system.

Aeana

I really miss the ability to fuse whatever demon I want with whatever demon I want.

Since in here you can only do so with demons produced by Search.

You could never fuse any demon with any other demon, in any game. There are always families of demons that simply will not fuse together. The old style of fusion can be replicated exactly by going into search, choosing a demon under the "include" option and initiating the search.

Aeana

Is there eventually a way to manipulate your enlightenment, like that one area in SJ where you could repeatedly rob a demon to get infinite chaos points or help it for law?

Nothing like that. There are many optional events that affect your alignment, though, so if you reach the end and you aren't where you want to be, if you put those events off, you can use them to your advantage. But that's about it.

The fact that I've already chosen to reset a few times in the first dungeon is worrisome! I've been stingy with relinquishing items to demons for the first quest, but I probably shouldn't be.

george_us

Maaaaaannn the soundtrack to this game is so fucking good. I shouldn't be surprised though. All of the SMT and Persona games that I've played had nothing short of stellar soundtracks.

No, he wants a way to fuse a specific demon with another specific demon without having to dig through results lists to see which two demons are used. Unless I'm going for a specific demon, I'll generally just test fusions between all demons which have no more skills to learn and SMT4 makes this a lot harder than it was in earlier Megaten games.

Other than that, I really love all of the filters and search options in the new fusion system.

I tought that it was harder to do in previous games, I spent hours in Soul Hackers and Strange Journey to fuse a demon that I didn't have use for or I didn't want to delete but all of its fusions were demons that I already have or didn't want. Not even low level demons that I didn't have for X reason but I still wanted them.

Top Bottom