• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Ok this some bullshit (spoilers for point were alignments become permanent):

Ok so reloaded an earlier save so that I could take the Neutral path and I went with Walter instead of Jonathon. So I then go through both alternate versions of Tokyo and get to the final alignment choice with the White. I picked maintain the status quo to offset what I assumed was a Chaos surplus, but I get to the white forest and Jonathon and Gabriel are there. So I reload before the Kenji fight and then pick destroy the order of things and Walter and Lucifer are there. That means at means that before the final choice my alignment was sitting close to zero. So essentially I'm being punished for being TOO Neutral.

Have you tried telling the White "I don't know"? Not sure if that doesn't cause any alignment change or not.

Sera O

Banned
How much macca does the fundraise skill generally net you? How successful is it? I'd like to know before I waste app points on something useless.

I'm also interested to know this - I'm a few points away from getting all the skill slots unlocked so I'll have to start thinking about what to invest in again.

coopolon

If this means who I think it means, bring Raiji and lightning resist armor.

Laugh.

I think the compendium prices are too high. I basically never use it, I don't want to pay for resummoning raiju. I guess I will just wait until I get a zio resisting demon then come back. Or a gun resisting.

Was finally able to fuse my Avatar in game. Thoughts on his stats? I'm a bit happy at how his resistances turned out.

1002134_10201828878072197_1226229818_n.jpg

Check this.

4Ng5I5hl.jpg

Lissar

Reluctant Member
How much macca does the fundraise skill generally net you? How successful is it? I'd like to know before I waste app points on something useless.

With just the first one I was getting 200-300 macca at best. With the whole skill line unlocked you MAY get 2000-4000 (I assume this changes with levels, but I don't use it enough to be sure), but it is certainly not guaranteed.

Hahaha well, that's a pretty tough demon to kill. What role does he play in your party--I mean, aside from soaking up the enemy's press-turns?

He's also got null nerve.

He's my main protection caster. He has energy drain, tetrakarn, and makarakarn.

My MC is my damage dealer with high magic. I have a divine cherub with mediaharan to heal when enemies decide to use almighty attacks.

Young Magus

I wish I can fused my demon but he's not in the game :(

Also, Post Ikebukuro Spoilers:
I just found/captured the Black Samurai, she asked me if I can live in Tokyo and I answered "I don't know" and I arrested her. With does that mark me under in terms of Alignment?

Edit: Another option that I took was (Shinjuku Spoilers):
I fought the Ashura-kai member instead of the demon that occupied the building

pahamrick

Basically what Dresden said, I used that website that lists out how to fuse demons and made sure that I let the new demons inherit the null skills that I wanted and before too long I had my relatively indestructible Loki.

Could I get a link to that website, please?

I just finished the Corpse quest (slaying 5 or so of them I think) and I have a few questions:

I forget why I even needed to do that quest. I also can't figure out how to exit the area after finishing it.

What happens if I dont finish of the Dullahan?

Where do I need to go next? Ikubukoro? I thought I went there, but there was little area to traverse.

cj_iwakura

I just finished the Corpse quest (slaying 5 or so of them I think) and I have a few questions:

I forget why I even needed to do that quest. I also can't figure out how to exit the area after finishing it.

What happens if I dont finish of the Dullahan?

Where do I need to go next? Ikubukoro? I thought I went there, but there was little area to traverse.

Alignment probably.

And now go back to the underground, the guy blocking the shutters to the southwest will let you by.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My fucking XL got hit with the black screen of death while playing this game. I just got to Roppongi and had just hit 40 hours. WHAT THE FUCK.

Gah. Fuck Nintendo.

Teknoman

The system is bricked?

Boss complaint:
Medusa
does look dumb compared to the rest of the demons so far. If she had a Kaneko style face, that might've fixed things, but as it is now...she looks like some late 80s/early 90s comic book reject.

Croc

Banned
So are there any consequences to lowering the difficulty or will it only just make the game a bit easier? I'm having fun playing on the regular difficulty but due to a situation at work I'm working mad OT for probably the next month or so, so I'm not really able to give a lot of attention to the game and all of the extra time this difficulty is taking me.

And what does lowering the difficulty change? Hoping it's just stats and such.

Does anyone have an answer to these?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, what the heck. FINALLY started the game up and wanted to quick grab the free DLC stuff first. Says on the menu Symbolic Equipment is free, but then says it costs .99 cents when it goes to Download Details. Doesn't do it with the White Samurai Apparel and Visage Pack.

is there a lot of missable/guide-necessary stuff in this? I kind of want to play from scratch but don't really want to miss out on stuff or hit a crazy brick wall

And the ending type stuff, there's no real "best" right? They are all just different based on alignment?

Any answers to these? Or if theyve been asked to death, can anyone point me in the direction of where the answers reside?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The system is bricked?

Boss complaint:
Medusa
does look dumb compared to the rest of the demons so far. If she had a Kaneko style face, that might've fixed things, but as it is now...she looks like some late 80s/early 90s comic book reject.

Seems like it. I just had a nice little unexpected party wipeout due to not getting the first strike; Home > X > and then it completely froze. Weird. Waited a bit; nothing. Turned it off and turn it back on; black screen. Google 3DS XL black screen and it autofills "of death". FML.

brinstar

The system is bricked?

Boss complaint:
Medusa

Yeah she's the worst new design in the game so far IMO. Her face is just so awkward and vaguely out of place with the rest of the art. I've really enjoyed every other new design I've seen so far.

khaaan

Did I screw myself over? I just got to the underground and the last boss fight took a lot out of me. I was only able to win because I purchased Fortuna which ended up taking ~4000 of my ~5000 Macca. I'm going for a PHYS MC but at the moment I don't have enough money to upgrade my gun or buy new ammo. I haven't been whispering physical skills either. I looked into the quests available to me but it seems like I'll have to trek all the way back to the beginning to meet the requirements. None of the current enemies are something that'll be deadly a long as I play smart but the difficulty definitely seems like it got cranked up.

Yeah she's the worst new design in the game so far IMO. Her face is just so awkward and vaguely out of place with the rest of the art. I've really enjoyed every other new design I've seen so far.
I'll echo what I said about her earlier: I like the ideas behind her design, but the way she's drawn really detracts from it all. She comes off looking goofy rather than creepy.

Aeana

So I've still yet to get locked, but at his point, I honestly doubt anything'll change.
Welll...
The game has several points where your alignment is shifted through no choice of your own, especially toward the end. Like you get chaos or law points for beating a boss you're required to beat, or choosing an option you have to choose to move on
so nothing is set in stone.

GeekyDad

I just finished up the Midtown quest. Holy...shit got real real fast. Kinda was thinking that's where the story was going, but it was
a bit more grim than expected in terms of what they actually show.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Does anyone have an answer to these?

The game specifically told you that the rewards for quests and the main storyline are not going to be changed.

Anyways, I am in danger of not having an electric user. I am at level 33, what demons can I fuse and what are the ingredients? Anyone can help me with this?

Busaiku

Welll...
The game has several points where your alignment is shifted through no choice of your own, especially toward the end. Like you get chaos or law points for beating a boss you're required to beat, or choosing an option you have to choose to move on
so nothing is set in stone.

I went with Walter.

The game specifically told you that the rewards for quests and the main storyline are not going to be changed.

Anyways, I am in danger of not having an electric user. I am at level 33, what demons can I fuse and what are the ingredients? Anyone can help me with this?

You can recruit a Tsuchigumo around the government building to the west of Shinjuku, I think. Bai Suzhen hangs out around Ikebukuro, as does Nue. Otherwise you could fuse Take-Minakata or Vouivre.

EDIT: Oh, ingredients.

If you decide to fuse a Vouivre (I had one for a while, and she did well for me),there are at least twenty level-appropriate ingredients, and you can obtain many of them easily around the Shinjuku region.

Just punch it in here: http://erikku.github.io/smt4tool/

Alignment probably.

And now go back to the underground, the guy blocking the shutters to the southwest will let you by.

Shinjuku spoilers:

Then why did the game keep pushing me to go to Ikeburo :(

Fuck time to make my way back to Shinjuku and the underground. Where are the shutters? I didn't really notice them last time.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You can recruit a Tsuchigumo around the government building to the west of Shinjuku, I think. Bai Suzhen hangs out around Ikebukuro, as does Nue. Otherwise you could fuse Take-Minakata or Vouivre.

I've been running around endlessly looking for a Tsuchigumo on that government building area after I beat the boss there; the fucker just refused to show up :mad:

Well, since the main quest requires me to go to Ikebukuro next, might as well head there...

Anyways, the MP regeneration app is great. Now I can Javelin Rain much more frequently than I used to. Makes battle go much smoother/faster.

I've been running around endlessly looking for a Tsuchigumo on that government building area after I beat the boss there; the fucker just refused to show up :mad:

Well, since the main quest requires me to go to Ikebukuro next, might as well head there...

Anyways, the MP regeneration app is great. Now I can Javelin Rain much more frequently than I used to. Makes battle go much smoother/faster.

I think that's the right move. You are very likely to run into a Nue or a Bai Suzhen within minutes of arriving in Ikebukuro. I don't think you'll be desperate for electric attacks before then (you can use items if you're desperate).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think that's the right move. You are very likely to run into a Nue or a Bai Suzhen within minutes of arriving in Ikebukuro. I don't think you'll be desperate for electric attacks before then (you can use items if you're desperate).

Thanks man.

Last night I fused some demons and as a result my Demons are like, only 5 right now. That's not gonna be healthy, hahaha.

Well, on the flip side I do get a Megami healer that has a Mediarama (finally), that Healing-upped passive, a null fire which basically nullify her weakness, and a Phys resistance skill to boot. Too bad I couldn't have her having Spirit Drain or Healing knowhow :(

Vamphuntr

Seems like you were right Aeana, with your tips posted in the thread I got the neutral path without using a guide. It's fairly obvious once your reach the STORY SPOILERS
Blasted and Infernal Tokyos
what the choices will do. It seems like the last decision is important as when I reloaded and try picking the first choice instead I got law.

I did all the side challenges in the game so far so I guess these balanced out, eh?

What is the maximum points you can put in stats. I have 250 Ma right now.

Teknoman

Side missions sway your story path?

Also finally in the country of the unclean ones. Battle music just kicked it up a hell of a notch. Actually the soundtrack as a whole really stepped it up (not that it was bad before).

coopolon

Pondering swapping out spirit drain for energy drain. Although I really don't need HP very often, and increasing mp cost might leave me without the mp to cast the spell when I need it.

Does energy drain get you more mp than spirit drain? Or is the same amount?

Top Bottom