• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Teknoman

Some stuff can get you points for Law or Chaos.
Some let you even it out.

Hmm...and here I was just thinking about doing every quest. Then again, I guess actual decisions should carry more weight. Not aiming for a specific ending though, just want to see where my general opinions will take me.

Young Magus

Side missions sway your story path?

Also finally in the country of the unclean ones. Battle music just kicked it up a hell of a notch. Actually the soundtrack as a whole really stepped it up (not that it was bad before).

Yea and I believe that you HAVE to do a certain amount to get neutral.

Speaking of Alignment I have a few questions (Note: Post-Ikeburuko/Shinjuku Spoilers):

I fought the Ashura-kai member instead of the demon that occupied the building. I also just found/captured the Black Samurai, she asked me if I can live in Tokyo and I answered "I don't know" and I arrested her. With does that mark me under in terms of Alignment?

Vamphuntr

Yea and I believe that you HAVE to do a certain amount to get neutral.

Speaking of Alignment I have a few questions (Note: Post-Ikeburuko/Shinjuku Spoilers):

I fought the Ashura-kai member instead of the demon that occupied the building. I also just found/captured the Black Samurai, she asked me if I can live in Tokyo and I answered "I don't know" and I arrested her. With does that mark me under in terms of Alignment?

Check the cynical man at the bar to know your current alignment. As you near the moment where your path will be locked bosses will hint at your alignment during battle too so you can use that to manipulate it. Jonathan and Walter's replies to your decisions is also a big hint. I think there is a ton of answers and quests that influence your overall alignment score.

CSX

gIxX2us.jpg

I did not expect being able to inherit this :D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So ahhh, Bad Company. Heard it's pretty useful, and my lvl 24 Fairy has it on its skill list so I can whisper it to the MC later if I want to.

A good skill to transfer?

OH man. After over an hour I finally killed (early boss spoiler around level 15)
Meeeeduuusaaaa
Though it took me longer to beat that hell fiend then it took me to kill that sonovabitch
David
it didn't feel as frustrating. Probably because I was actually getting close a couple times. And she didn't have any skills that were automatic 1 hit kills for my party.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bad Company is a lifesaver.

When a boss has wiped the floor with your party, it's handy to be able to pull 3 new demons from your stock at once.

Hmmm, seems really useful. Wonder what should I ditch for it, any recommendations?

War Cry
Stun Needles+1
Javelin Rain+1
Tarukaja+3
Damascus Claw+1
Charge+2
Dekunda+3
Dekaja+2

My MC is St 7, Dx 82, Ma 7, Ag 57, Lu 57.

Anyways, what's with the Tournament Preliminaries sidequest? Multiple successive battles, with the enemies getting 1st initiative as well? How am I supposed to beat that? I managed to beat the 1st guy but the 2nd one just destroyed me.

So I bought this but I'm sort of intimidated by it. I'm well familiar with Persona but I keep hearing how much harder the SMT series is. Will I be out of my depth? Is the gameplay at least comparable to Persona so I won't be completely out of sorts? Any starter advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ghazi

So this game, yea or nay for someone who's never played SMT?

I was considering picking up Devil Summoners when that came out but held back when I learned about IV.

I've also never played a Persona game either.

Totakeke

I got bad company for a few levels then ditched it. Not worth it considering my MC is the one that usually dies first or second.

So I bought this but I'm sort of intimidated by it. I'm well familiar with Persona but I keep hearing how much harder the SMT series is. Will I be out of my depth? Is the gameplay at least comparable to Persona so I won't be completely out of sorts? Any starter advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just play it, death is just another learning opportunity.

PK Gaming

Ok fuck this

I need your help guys. So i'm a law character and...

MASSIVE SPOILERS

and I abhor those 4 angels. "The people from Tokyo are filth..." Are you serious? Fuck that noise, am I really siding behind these bastards?!? And I can't believe Jonathan is condoning that shit, he has 0 sympathy for people who the non-mikado humans. I want to say "fuck it" and side with Walter, despite my alignment. Will that cause an imbalance (law character / chaos path) and give me the dreaded "evil ending?"

I ultimately want to avoid a "bad" ending.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

The only things samey with Persona games are demon fusing, compendium, and the press system.

This is a way harder game than P3 and P4.

Starter advice: well, stick to specific build, for one. Choose whether you want to be physical or magical and stick with that. If you go physical, be advised that Strength is, in my opinion and many, a way more inferior stat than Dexterity, which should be your main priority--followed immediately by Agility and perhaps Luck. For magic based character, Magic is obviously the most important stat, followed immediately also by Agility. Luck is not that important for Magic-based character but it can be useful too.

However, the most important thing is: be patient and don't give up even when the game seemingly tries so hard/being so successful at fucking your arse in every turn, hahaha.

The only things samey with Persona games are demon fusing, compendium, and the press system.

This is a way harder game than P3 and P4.

Starter advice: well, stick to specific build, for one. Choose whether you want to be physical or magical and stick with that. If you go physical, be advised that Strength is, in my opinion and many, a way more inferior stat than Dexterity, which should be your main priority--followed immediately by Agility and perhaps Luck. For magic based character, Magic is obviously the most important stat, followed immediately also by Agility. Luck is not that important for Magic-based character but it can be useful too.

However, the most important thing is: be patient and don't give up even when the game seemingly tries so hard/being so successful at fucking your arse in every turn, hahaha.
I hear going magic makes things easier?

Aeana

I was considering picking up Devil Summoners when that came out but held back when I learned about IV.

It's fine. There's lots of newcomers in here.

There are definitely similarities with Persona. You'll already have familiarity with the fusion system and the basic ideas. The battle system is different, but like Persona it puts a heavy value on taking advantage of weaknesses and buffs and debuffs are very powerful. The negotiation system is a big thing which isn't in Persona at all, and the dungeons are more complex than Persona's, but these are things which the game will introduce to you fairly well.

It's a lot harder than Persona, but don't let that intimidate you. The game is challenging, but it's really just a matter of making sure that you think through the situation and take advantage of the game systems. Be sure to save often, though, as you can die in a hurry if an enemy gets the jump on you.

Ghazi

It's fine. There's lots of newcomers in here.

Really? I'd always heard that SMT was a more hardcore series that'd be difficult for new players to jump into.

I'll definitely pick it up then, hopefully they're still offering all those physical goodies that I almost pre-ordered the game for but didn't at the last minute.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Really? I'd always heard that SMT was a more hardcore series that'd be difficult for new players to jump into.

I'll definitely pick it up then, hopefully they're still offering all those physical goodies that I almost pre-ordered the game for but didn't at the last minute.

There's definitely a barrier of entry and being a veteran will have its perks but if you're a newcomer you'll enjoy it still. SMT4 is a pretty solid game with very addicting elements such as creating demons, getting immersed into the world, and a rad soundtrack.

I'm in Ikebukuro and
Xi Wangmu is kicking my ass. It's worse because there's the long cutscene in the middle of the battle before you can actually start doing damage that I have to go through every time I restart. Sometimes it kills my MC before that even happens. I just don't know how I'm going to deal with this.
In short, Megaton Press is as bad as Blight.

Jenga

Banned
Ok fuck this

MASSIVE SPOILERS

and I abhor those 4 angels. "The people from Tokyo are filth..." Are you serious? Fuck that noise, am I really siding behind these bastards?!? And I can't believe Jonathan is condoning that shit, he has 0 sympathy for people who the non-mikado humans. I want to say "fuck it" and side with Walter, despite my alignment. Will that cause an imbalance (law character / chaos path) and give me the dreaded "evil ending?"

there is no evil

only chaos

coopolon

Hah, I just got completely lost in a domain and spent like two hours looking for the boss.

I gained quite a few levels. I was only half paying attention while watching TV so that probably contributed. Got a quest related relic at least!

kayos90

I'm in Ikebukuro and
Xi Wangmu is kicking my ass. It's worse because there's the long cutscene in the middle of the battle before you can actually start doing damage that I have to go through every time I restart. Sometimes it kills my MC before that even happens. I just don't know how I'm going to deal with this.
In short, Megaton Press is as bad as Blight.

If
XW
goes first you're most likely screwed. If you go first there's quite a few things you can do. Depending on your party this may or may not be possible. The most useful thing you can do is use
Force
abilities or items to buy time while you buff defense twice. If you can't do that then you can decrease her hit rate. If she uses that one ability to
buff everything
you're really screwed unless you have a counter to that.

Jenga

Banned
so anyone here actually finish yet?

had a question about the
white. are they actually just a personification of mankind like it seems to imply? they constantly referred to the MC as the "fifth son", so I'm assuming that means he's counted as a "son of man" along with the other SMT protagonists. also, I'm assuming the entire point of the white subplot seems to imply that both law/chaos endings happen in different worlds? or something?

Vice

Trial and error. Just exploit your enemies weaknesses, stay healed and buff/debuff and you'll be fine.

Jenga

Banned
Sorry that was a slip up on my part. I know that the game has
endings. I want to avoid the "bad" ending. (That's been brought up before)
I personally don't even consider it a bad ending, it's actually kinda logical when it gets presented to you (and if you have a passing familiarity with the other SMT games)...but it's basically a big Yes/No choice, you'll know it when you see it

Shibuya spoiler question:
how do I get to Cafe Milton? There's a fence blocking Dogenzaka. And I've explored 108.

IIRC you had to go through the stairs in Underground District C. It'll lead you through a few areas and then go to the other side in Dogenzaka. Cafe Milton is going to be at the north end

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hear going magic makes things easier?

Yeah, for the most part.

1. Physical MC is much more expensive to maintain, for one, since you need to purchase weapons to up your damage, and in case for guns, also its bullets. This is a game where money is rather tight, so this is in my opinion is a rather big disadvantage.
2. It's going to be a while before a Physical MC can manipulate elemental weakness, and before you are even allowed to have a gun you need to overcome a particularly difficult boss that can frustrate you. And another boss after that before you can even get to purchase elemental bullets. Magical MC can exploit elemental weaknesses from the very beginning in a much more effective way.
3. -However- Physical MC is not without its advantages. Guns + Elemental bullets can make many boss battles a lot easier to handle once you know their weaknesses. But like I said, it's gonna take a while and it's gonna cost you.

I can articulate more if you want, but generally speaking Magic MC really do seem like its going to give an easier time overall than a Physical MC.

As a heads up, re:alignment and multiple playthroughs
From what I've seen on the Wiki, Law seems to be best first run. It has no round two stuff at all, neutral shares a couple with chaos and has none of its own, while chaos gets all the round two stuff

kayos90

Yeah, for the most part.

1. Physical MC is much more expensive to maintain, for one, since you need to purchase weapons to up your damage, and in case for guns, also its bullets. This is a game where money is rather tight, so this is in my opinion is a rather big disadvantage.
2. It's going to be a while before a Physical MC can manipulate elemental weakness, and before you are even allowed to have a gun you need to overcome a particularly difficult boss that can frustrate you. And another boss after that before you can even get to purchase elemental bullets. Magical MC can exploit elemental weaknesses from the very beginning in a much more effective way.
3. -However- Physical MC is not without its advantages. Guns + Elemental bullets can make many boss battles a lot easier to handle once you know their weaknesses. But like I said, it's gonna take a while and it's gonna cost you.

I can articulate more if you want, but generally speaking Magic MC really do seem like its going to give an easier time overall than a Physical MC.

Investing in certain apps early in the game can make you a very very rich man.

Jenga

Banned
Yeah, for the most part.

Magic MC is shit, I just charge and use gun skill and *literally* one shot everything. two shot or three shot bosses by end game.

PK Gaming

I personally don't even consider it a bad ending, it's actually kinda logical when it gets presented to you (and if you have a passing familiarity with the other SMT games)...but it's basically a big Yes/No choice, you'll know it when you see it

Alright.

I'll just play it out and see what happens... I hope the law path picks up at least. Thank you.

BlackJace

Hmmm, seems really useful. Wonder what should I ditch for it, any recommendations?

War Cry
Stun Needles+1
Javelin Rain+1
Tarukaja+3
Damascus Claw+1
Charge+2
Dekunda+3
Dekaja+2

My MC is St 7, Dx 82, Ma 7, Ag 57, Lu 57.

Anyways, what's with the Tournament Preliminaries sidequest? Multiple successive battles, with the enemies getting 1st initiative as well? How am I supposed to beat that? I managed to beat the 1st guy but the 2nd one just destroyed me.

Replace D. Claw

Jenga

Banned
As a heads up, re:alignment and multiple playthroughs
From what I've seen on the Wiki, Law seems to be best first run. It has no round two stuff at all, neutral shares a couple with chaos and has none of its own, while chaos gets all the round two stuff
you mean final boss round 2?

Goby

Banned
Ok fuck this

MASSIVE SPOILERS

You disappoint YHVH son of man.

Draxal

Yeah, for the most part.

And let's be real here, DLC utterly breaks this game's difficulty as well, it's even more ... gamebreaking than Fire Emblem's dlc.

Dilemma time regarding my build. I'm about to learn strong moves like Concentrate and Debilitate and I don't have the necessary slots for them. I should start deleting elemental spells soon but I still need them to wipe out mobs and get extra turns during boss battles. Currently heading to *semi-late game spoilers*
the reactor
and I have a tough decision to make in that regard :I

Dresden

The game stops being hard after the first half or so. Not a knock on the game itself, you just have so many more options to recover after a bad turn.

JCizzle

I never played and vote "yay". Have about 10 hours into it so far.

Top Bottom