• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Investing in certain apps early in the game can make you a very very rich man.

Magic MC is shit, I just charge and use gun skill and *literally* one shot everything. two shot or three shot bosses by end game.

Well I am just talking from my own experience so far here.

And yeah, Physical MC can devastate things as well, but like I said, it's gonna take a while to get there. End Game MC either physical or magical can ruin things anyways, so I don't think it's a great way to judge whether overall physical or magical MC gets an easier time throughout the game.

Replace D. Claw

Hmmmmm, yeah, that would seem to be the right choice.

Anyways folks, any tips for the Preliminary Tournament sidequest?

And let's be real here, DLC utterly breaks this game's difficulty as well, it's even more ... gamebreaking than Fire Emblem's dlc.

I bought the Afterlife DLC since I am OCD of buying all them all (just like Fire Emblem), but I don't use it. It feels *dirty*.

Aeana

Magic MC is shit, I just charge and use gun skill and *literally* one shot everything. two shot or three shot bosses by end game.

So you've explained why a non-magic MC is good, but not why a magic MC is "shit." Did you intend to do that, or is this just a "the way I did it worked well, so it's obviously the best way, despite not having actually tried anything else" kind of thing?

so anyone here actually finish yet?

had a question about the
white. are they actually just a personification of mankind like it seems to imply? they constantly referred to the MC as the "fifth son", so I'm assuming that means he's counted as a "son of man" along with the other SMT protagonists. also, I'm assuming the entire point of the white subplot seems to imply that both law/chaos endings happen in different worlds? or something?

The White Men were showing the Tokyos that would've occurred had the MC's previous incarnation chosen the law/chaos paths.

Jenga

Banned
So you've explained why a non-magic MC is good, but not why a magic MC is "shit." Did you intend to do that, or is this just a "the way I did it worked well, so it's obviously the best way, despite not having actually tried anything else" kind of thing?
I didn't actually think anybody cared, but in all seriousness, Full DX gun MC is almost completely broken. I'm sure magic MC is fine, but gun MC can wipe entire random encounters and bosses by at least mid game.

PK Gaming

Oh yeah? Well I can't hear on the account that my Die for me / Mahamaon combo is one shotting nearly every mob in the game, and the mobs that avoid that particular combo are dealt with by my ultra powerful Megidola's ♪

And the MP I burned ends being restored by the MP recovery app

Jenga

Banned
The White Men were showing the Tokyos that would've occurred had the MC's previous incarnation chosen the law/chaos paths.
Which is...who? Despite that this is "SMT 4" Flynn is actually the 5th mainline protagonist if you count strange journey.

fek

Started playing today. Can't believe I got this game so quick, normally it would take at least 2 weeks to arrive.
So far, very positive impression of the first few hours.

Jenga

Banned
Oh yeah? Well I can't hear on the account that my Die for me / Mahamaon combo is one shotting nearly every mob in the game, and the mobs that avoid that particular combo are dealt with by my ultra powerful Megidola's ♪

And the MP I burned ends being restored by the MP recovery app
I don't take random chances mang, I just shoot em up

if someone actually did the math i'd be interested to see how effective the two are together. by end game i was wiping nearly every encounter with just 6mp blast arrow

PK Gaming

I don't take random chances mang, I just shoot em up

if someone actually did the math i'd be interested to see how effective the two are together. by end game i was wiping nearly every encounter with just 6mp blast arrow

Dude, with a high enough luck stat it's practically guaranteed. It's crazy.

If
XW
goes first you're most likely screwed. If you go first there's quite a few things you can do. Depending on your party this may or may not be possible. The most useful thing you can do is use
Force
abilities or items to buy time while you buff defense twice. If you can't do that then you can decrease her hit rate. If she uses that one ability to
buff everything
you're really screwed unless you have a counter to that.

Orchid Garden wasn't a problem because I have plenty of ways to debuff it.
At any rate, I realized I hadn't equipped the right elemental bullet, so I did that and the battle went a lot smoother such that I could actually win.
It helped that I lucked out and it never used Megaton Press this time.

I think it's an interesting decision. Yes, it does "ruin" the mood sometimes, but it could be intentional. She's a sort of 4th wall character who doesn't care about what's going on because she's just there to provide navigation assistance. Pretty funny imo!

Yeah, I actually burst out laughing the first time sad music was playing, the characters were all expressing how something really horrible had happened, and then Burroughs chirped "Looks like the quest is going well!" Nice punctuation of what's happened. Definitely struck me as intentional.

When we speak of the "setting" here, it's not like we're talking about detailed design materials and backstory which isn't actually part of the package. This is often the case with novels, film, and television, where the setting is developed beyond what is used to give the creators more material to tap from while telling the story. But here, the entire setting is there for the player to experience, so it's clearly part and parcel of the actual "story" being experienced.

That's actually what makes it so great, IMO. Instead of the "story" being linear narrative that's thrust upon you in between gameplay segments, the story is what you choose to explore and discover in the world as you move through the battle/exploration gameplay. This game (much moreso than Nocturne) really nails that feeling of place and makes the location itself a character in the story.

Blight just got blighter.

FUCK BLIGHT OKAY

CSX

Die for Me is the best guys. All ugotta do is check to see if enemies null dark. If they don't , let it rip :,D

I suggest tagging spoilers with a location specifier, i.e. 'Post-Ikebukuro' spoilers.

Spoilers are a minefield in here, especially when you get the 'Well first you should
bake a cake
after you meet
my mom
between
a rock
and
a hard place
.' posts. I'm not as worried about story spoilers in this game as others, but it's seriously hard because I want to help people who are in my general area, or see if people have the same questions as me, but I'm just as likely to find questions from people 20 levels further down the road.

I'm currently debating what to do with my Jack-of-All-Trades MC. I literally have him with all four mid-tier elemental magic spells, a gun with Virus bullets, an even spread between Dex and Mag, and the other three spells are Bad Company, Concentrate, and Energy Drain. He's pretty much set for any encounter but I have a feeling sooner or later I'm going to need to drop the elemental magic and specialize him one way or the other.

Jenga

Banned
Spoilers are a minefield in here, especially when you get the 'Well first you should
bake a cake
after you meet
my mom
between
a rock
and
a hard place
.' posts. I'm not as worried about story spoilers in this game as others, but it's seriously hard because I want to help people who are in my general area, or see if people have the same questions as me, but I'm just as likely to find questions from people 20 levels further down the road.
A spoiler thread would be great...Last of Us got one right. SMT deserves one. mos def

Dresden

bake a cake
after you meet
my mom
between
a rock
and
a hard place

I'm currently debating what to do with my Jack-of-All-Trades MC. I literally have him with all four mid-tier elemental magic spells, a gun with Virus bullets, an even spread between Dex and Mag, and the other three spells are Bad Company, Concentrate, and Energy Drain. He's pretty much set for any encounter but I have a feeling sooner or later I'm going to need to drop the elemental magic and specialize him one way or the other.

If you want to stay a jack of all trades, make Luck your main stat. Inevitably you'll be more in the support role but that's fine, because reflects are cool.

Government building in Shinjuku spoiler:

What exactly happens if you say "dont kill the demon?" Do you not fight? Or do you then fight in self defense as he attacks you anyway? I wanted to check, but absent mindedly saved over my save that was right before the battle.

Blight wins again. I was just walking around the Shinjuku region, which was a couple of major events ago for me, and all of a sudden got back-attacked on the world map. 3x blight later, and it was all over :(

BlackJace

Government building in Shinjuku spoiler:

What exactly happens if you say "dont kill the demon?" Do you not fight? Or do you then fight in self defense as he attacks you anyway? I wanted to check, but absent mindedly saved over my save that was right before the battle.
If you choose not to fight him, you fight this other horde. I remember Walter questions whether or not you should've fought the demon or not if you do choose to kill him. I'm guessing fighting him takes away Chaos points or something.

cj_iwakura

If you choose not to fight him, you fight this other horde. I remember Walter questions whether or not you should've fought the demon or not if you do choose to kill him. I'm guessing fighting him takes away Chaos points or something.

(Shinjuku)
Apparently killing him is +1 Law/+5 chaos if you don't.

I haven't decided yet. The moral implications are driving me nuts.

Ah alright. Does the
demon survive?

Also can anyone tell me where the terminal in Shinjuku is? A character referenced it, but I've been exploring pretty well I think and haven't found it.

somewhere neutral and non committal

Neutral is usually a commitment towards humanity, giving a giant middle finger to angels and demonkind alike. With Law being siding with god/angels and their extreme dictatorship, and chaos being "lets fuck up some cripples because we are social darwinists"

Or at least that's how it worked in past SMT games.

Dresden

Hit level 71, ended up with 666 hp. Feels oddly fitting for the route I'm locked into.

Really need to fuse and whisper Debilitate somehow.

If you want to stay a jack of all trades, make Luck your main stat. Inevitably you'll be more in the support role but that's fine, because reflects are cool.

Hmmm. Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I know I really should pick just one stat to max, but magic is awesome and I love bullets so...yeah. Might as well just make my guy prepared for anything.

BlackJace

(Shinjuku)
Apparently killing him is +1 Law/+5 chaos if you don't.

I haven't decided yet. The moral implications are driving me nuts.

Oh wow interesting. Not what I wanted, but can't turn back now lol.
Ah alright. Does the
demon survive?

Also can anyone tell me where the terminal in Shinjuku is? A character referenced it, but I've been exploring pretty well I think and haven't found it.

Neutral is usually a commitment towards humanity, giving a giant middle finger to angels and demonkind alike. With Law being siding with god/angels and their extreme dictatorship, and chaos being "lets fuck up some cripples because we are social darwinists"

No, the demon dies. He says something that kind of made me feel sorry for him actually.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This stops being much of an issue once you manage to fuse a null-phys demon, and it goes for every element in the game.

Well of course if you have a null-everything demons then things don't matter. But I don't think "this stops being much of an issue" is a good argument to deflect the amount of time and investment required to actually reach that point, because before that point--which to be fair, is gonna take a while I'd wager--then it is an issue.

I think in their effort to justify save everywhere feature, they went a bit crazier with stuff. I don't remember Nocturne being this crazy with stuff like this, hahaha.

No, the demon dies. He says something that kind of made me feel sorry for him actually.

Weird. I felt sorry
after I killed him. He made some pretty decent points about humans not having any rightful claim to the area. But then he threatened to eat me so...

Jenga

Banned
Well of course if you have a null-everything demons then things don't matter. But I don't think "this stops being much of an issue" is a good argument to deflect the amount of time and investment required to actually reach that point, because before that point--which to be fair, is gonna take a while I'd wager--then it is an issue.

I think in their effort to justify save everywhere feature, they went a bit crazier with stuff. I don't remember Nocturne being this crazy with stuff like this, hahaha.
Nocturne was worse. You don't know the pain of going STR Demi against that one elephant for the first time.

GeekyDad

A spoiler thread would be great...Last of Us got one right. SMT deserves one. mos def

You mean...like this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628896

Ahaha. Cracked up at that.

Which is...who? Despite that this is "SMT 4" Flynn is actually the 5th mainline protagonist if you count strange journey.

The easiest way to explain it would be as if there was a prequel to SMT IV. There was an unnamed hero there, Skins as Neutral Hero, Kenji as Chaos Hero, and Kiyoharu as Law Hero. In the real Tokyo, the hero chose Neutral. The alternate worlds are if he chose Law or Chaos (he perishes in all of them, evidently). We don't know if the White are referring to him as the fourth protagonist before Flynn, or the SJ protagonist.

Top Bottom