• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Dresden tells me there's a DLC demon later on which has a physical attack which hits 15 times. :(

The rest of the DLC are boss challenge quests, so basically it's like the Dragon of the Lake type quest where you take it up, there's a short conversation, you fight a tough boss, and then you unlock that demon for fusing. "Substantial" and "meaningful". Right. Thanks Atlus. :(

At least the game itself is great. The DLC seems so awful.

...But I thought that 15 times hit physical attack demon is one of those super bosses you need to defeat first?

You don't even need to go to Saint's Row, Fire Emblem already paved the road for shitty 3DS DLC.

Now now. Not all of them are good, I agree, but some of Fire Emblem DLCs are actually good as in they add character development and even stories (especially for the last batch of DLCs)

I haven't really tested those skills yet, to know if they are TRULY as op as they sound, but man they sure sound op.

Can they be whispered to the MC or transferred to another demon?

Now now. Not all of them are good, I agree, but some of Fire Emblem DLCs are actually good as in they add character development and even stories (especially for the last batch of DLCs)

I was done with the game by the time the last batch came out. The rest of them were basically cheat DLCs with recycled assets and uninteresting maps. It was basically pay for easier grinding, an overpowered skill, or a new class.

...But I thought that 15 times hit physical attack demon is one of those super bosses you need to defeat first?

Can they be whispered to the MC or transferred to another demon?

You can see me transfering Plasma Discharge and Megidoplasma onto my MC in one of those pictures

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I was done with the game by the time the last batch came out. The rest of them were basically cheat DLCs with recycled assets and uninteresting maps. It was basically pay for easier grinding, an overpowered skill, or a new class.

The last batch of the DLCs were actually kind of good, especially for character development purposes.

You can see me transfering Plasma Discharge and Megidoplasma onto my MC in one of those pictures

Oh yeah, you're right, sorry about that.

Huh. At first I thought they might not be transferable in order to compensate for its general OP-ness but if such crazy skills can be moved to an MC with proper magic/dex, then uhhh..... wow.

God damn. I finally beat
Medusa, the boss right before you finally enter Tokyo,
and man she was hard. I mean she kept getting criticals on me with her three attacks every turn BS. I only won by accident as enough times restarting the game I managed to get lucky. I don't get it. I did everything right. I has three demons with Zan. My character was at level 11. Etc. How was I suppose to beat her?

Anyone else?

I'm at the part where you have to do 3 Challenge Quests from K's Tavern and I'm confused...

So far I've done:
Collect Demon Claws ✓
The Lion's Roar Within Naraku ✓
Silver Glasses ✓

I've done 3 quests...now what? Are these just side quests? It's getting late and this is putting me to sleep :p

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm at the part where you have to do 3 Challenge Quests from K's Tavern and I'm confused...

So far I've done:
Collect Demon Claws ✓
Silver Glasses ✓

I've done 3 quests...now what? Are these just side quests? It's getting late and this is putting me to sleep :p

I give this post ✓✓✓✓✓ for effort.

Eusis

So far I've done:
Collect Demon Claws ✓
Silver Glasses ✓

Go back to the Tavern and select Deliver. You don't automatically turn those in - fortunately, given how quests automatically get added and some involve getting certain demons.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there a physical almighty skill in this game? (Freikuget style)

Yeah, multiple-hits too... DLC though.

But I think there is actually an almighty physical skill. Let me check around a bit...

Edit: Actually, I am not really sure right now.

Edit 2: Yes there is (not DLC), apparently it is called Desperate Hit, and it hits 1-5 times.

Soulhouf

Yeah, multiple-hits too... DLC though.

But I think there is actually an almighty physical skill. Let me check around a bit...

Edit: Actually, I am not really sure right now.

Edit 2: Yes there is (not DLC), apparently it is called Desperate Hit, and it hits 1-5 times.

Thanks!
My non magic MC run continues.
I wasted points into int stat in the beginning though. I will post a screenshot later.

Edit: getting my avatar demon will take a while if Vishnu is as high level as he used to be in the other megaten.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I saved up so much money, and avoided a lot of Shinjuku's equipment thinking the next town's stuff is much worth it. Now that I've reached Shibuya I'm sorely disappointed-- not only did the body gear underwhelm but the guns/bullets, which were what I was mostly looking for, weren't interesting in the slightest.

Can anyone give me a hint of what I should look forward to and where? I'm mainly looking for a nice multi-hit bazooka and strong varied bullets. I'm desperate since my MC doesn't have a single elemental spell on him anymore.

Dresden

I saved up so much money, and avoided a lot of Shinjuku's equipment thinking the next town's stuff is much worth it. Now that I've reached Shibuya I'm sorely disappointed-- not only did the body gear underwhelm but the guns/bullets, which were what I was mostly looking for, weren't interesting in the slightest.

Can anyone give me a hint of what I should look forward to and where? I'm mainly looking for a nice multi-hit bazooka and strong varied bullets. I'm desperate since my MC doesn't have a single elemental spell on him anymore.

You can pick up a decent bazooka in a chest in Shibuya. As for bullets, I think the next set of elemental ammo (along with the +gun damage accessory) is in the next town you're set to visit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You can pick up a decent bazooka in a chest in Shibuya. As for bullets, I think the next set of elemental ammo (along with the +gun damage accessory) is in the next town you're set to visit.
Thanks! I just completed a first sweep of Shibuya and haven't found anything, I'm guessing more of the city might open up after I talk to Toyama. There was however a domain on the world map close to the district that yielded a "Bazooka kit." Is that anyhow relevant to what you're referring to?

Aeana

Doing sidequest cleanup since I deliberately skipped most of them for much of the game. There's some really awesome quests.

Dresden

Thanks! I just completed a first sweep of Shibuya and haven't found anything, I'm guessing more of the city might open up after I talk to Toyama. There was however a domain on the world map close to the district that yielded a "Bazooka kit." Is that anyhow relevant to what you're referring to?

I just checked right now - there's a chest in a fenced-off area of Dogenzaka that contains a #1 Bazooka (57 x 1~4). You can get there by getting to the 108 building area, then heading southwest.

Thoraxes

Feels good to have never bought DLC. Still not gonna, either.

This game's soundtrack is pretty forgettable, isn't it?

I completely disagree. I find myself singing a lot of the music while i'm at my desk at work. Especially the music from upper Naraku as of recent. It's just so catchy with the way the pads and drums mix, not to mention the progressions are interesting. It's one of the better ones for sure, and has a much better feel to it than past entries (to my ears).

duckroll

I noticed that after a gazillion hours I still haven't completed one of the mystic relic quests: the one for the laptop PC. Did I miss it somehow? Or is it found way later? I should probably do some quest sweep up soon. I'm heading back to Roppongi now and it seems like a good time plot twist to clear the quest log a bit.

Soriku

This game's soundtrack is pretty forgettable, isn't it?

Did you write this review?

The soundtrack in the game is also mood-setting, bringing the world to life with its diverse jams. There are sweeping scores that radiate enchantment, head-pounding techno tracks as well as dread-inducing dirges that make the creepy atmosphere feel all the more disconcerting. It’s an eclectic, cornucopia of arrangements for sure, but one that can take players on a bit of an emotional roller-coaster ride. At the same time, it’s also an OST that is easily forgotten as a standalone piece. The tunes certainly serve their purpose, but there was not stand-out track that left a lasting impression.

I already consider this a top-tier SMT OST and I've only heard around 1/4 or 1/5 of the total tracks so far.

I noticed that after a gazillion hours I still haven't completed one of the mystic relic quests: the one for the laptop PC. Did I miss it somehow? Or is it found way later? I should probably do some quest sweep up soon. I'm heading back to Roppongi now and it seems like a good time plot twist to clear the quest log a bit.

I got multiple laptop PC and power cable relics when I delivered 50 some Strix Bloods.

Made 20,000 macca in one :O

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just checked right now - there's a chest in a fenced-off area of Dogenzaka that contains a #1 Bazooka (57 x 1~4). You can get there by getting to the 108 building area, then heading southwest.
Ah, that helps a ton. Many thanks.

linko9

Question with big mid-game spoilers:

I just went to Shene Duque (sp), and have to choose between Walter and Jonathan. If I choose Walter, does that lock me out of areas in Mikado? Like aquila plaza?

You what I've missed about the narrative with the main line games like SMT IV?

The more believable circumstantial actions/thoughts among the villains. Excuse not villains but more so adversaries. Nothing is black or white, good or evil by the book. Just a bunch of gray where you determine things.

Aeana

There's so much more to music than catchy melodies. Not that SMT4 doesn't have those, but that certainly isn't the main focus of the soundtrack.

duckroll

I got a bunch of them as rewards for delivering a lot of Strix Bloods to the hunter bar place in Ueno.

Go to the military base and grind out some Strix until you get a good number of bloods.

I remember doing a Strix Blood quest, but I don't think I got a laptop as a reward, unless I somehow spaced out and didn't notice? Thanks for the tip, I'll head back to Ueno to check stuff out.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Why is my Javelin Rain (med-Phys) hitting as hard as Blight (weak-Phys)? Does the poison attribute factor somehow?

Hylian7

I just got to a certain boss that everyone has mentioned a lot:
Xi Wagmu

Fuck. That. My only Phys resistant demon is a shitty Onmoraki that I can't even fuse into anything good. My +2 defensive buff seems to do fuck all.

Draxal

This is ten times worse than Fire Emblem's dlc; but the games are a little different. It was much easier to make gold/xp in fire emblem awakening base game due to that's game structure, and gold is no where near as important as macca is here. I feel so dirty right now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wait, they separated Almighty into Physical and Magical? Was it always like that in past SMT's? I thought Almighty was just a type in and of itself.

coopolon

Hmm, for the relic quests, do they get sold when you go to stores like all the other relics? I haven't been thinking about it, I hope I didn't sell the ones I need to complete the quests.

Top Bottom