• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Really? Like having most demons have most buffs/debuffs so you can get them up to X3 as possible?

Wow, I guess I am not buffing/debuffing enough. I use them for boss fights, but typically only once or twice per turn depending on how many turns I get. I normally have archangel buffing/debuffing and everyone else exploiting weaknesses.

All of the boss battles that I've encountered so far were won with near no losses because my team had buffed defenses and was constantly debuffing the boss. My last boss battle with a level 70+ boss was won by my level 27 MC alone (with the rest of the team dead in the first three rounds) entirely because I had fully buffed the defense while fully debuffing his attack.

Personally, I would spend the first four turns exploiting the weakness, then the next four turns just applying buffs/debuffs. If a boss had no weakness to exploit, then buffs/debuffs would always go first.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nekomata just stole half my money.
74UYNo8.png

This has probably been asked before, but I've pretty much been fusing demons without looking anything up. I look to see what has the best stat increase and what spells would be useful after a fusion to decide who to fuse/use in battle. I also try to get every demon as I go along for my demon.. book... thing..

But am I setting myself up for failure or major grinding for demons/skills later on? I really hate using strategy guides and the like.

Anyone?

!!!!!!!

Okay then. I'm only level 3. Will max out DEX instead. Secondary being luck.

Thanks <3

Well I don't know if a DEX build needs as much Luck. But physical skills have no way to take advantage of elemental weaknesses, meaning you -need- critical hits for smirking.

Dex has elemental bullets I believe. Dunno how important luck is there.

Well I don't know if a DEX build needs as much Luck. But physical skills have no way to take advantage of elemental weaknesses, meaning you -need- critical hits for smirking.

Dex has elemental bullets I believe. Dunno how important luck is there.

Okay then. I'll look more into this but thanks for the info.

Forkball

I never want to fuse my Ame no Uzume. Not because she's a powerhouse or anything, but her design is so cool. Her Dia will wreck late game right?

duckroll

Okay this is pissing me off. I'm trying to kill an Orcus for a quest, but I can't get one in any of the random encounters. I know it says that it's "rare" but this is ridiculous. Must have spent 20 minutes fighting scrubs in that area. Any tips?

hawk2025

Where do I check my alignment so far?

Also, which one of the three is the "crap ending" mentioned above? There are three total, one for each alignment, right? I want to make sure I avoid any really crappy endings...

Answer in spoiler tags as needed, thanks!

Okay this is pissing me off. I'm trying to kill an Orcus for a quest, but I can't get one in any of the random encounters. I know it says that it's "rare" but this is ridiculous. Must have spent 20 minutes fighting scrubs in that area. Any tips?

They weren't rare for me, weird. You looking for them in the right spot?

I hope my post at the bottom of the previous page didn't get buried and forgotten.

Sorry. We're too busy playing the game. :)

It looks like there is a wealth of info to wade through here...JRPG's of modern times have been sort of intimidating for me. I've never played a game like this before. The last RPG that I dumped a sizeable amount of time in was Pokemon Diamond. The fondest memories I have with any RPG is FFIV...when it was FFII for SNES.

Sooo...talk to me like I'm a total layman. This game is catching my eye because I've been tethered to the awesomeness of my 3DS as of late, and I'm looking for something to divert my attention away from Animal Crossing.

I'd like someone who is enthusiastic about bringing new people into the SMT fold to explain this game to me in the simplest terms...the awesome things you can do in it, any game play "nuances" that might be a selling point...etc.

For example, the things I've heard about Persona 4 have me thinking I might end up getting it when I get around to buying a Vita. The whole "balancing the life of a high schooler with RPG combat" is something that intrigues me.

Okay SMT IV fans...go! Sell me on it.

1) Dungeon crawling in a dark fantasy/futuristic world full of demons based on mythological creatures and deities gathered from most major religions, legends, and myths from all over the world.
2) You talk/bribe those demons to join you to become the other members of your party.
3) You can also fuse (combine) those demons together to form new and more powerful demons and you can pass along skills/spells those demons to craft your party as you would like. In fact, you pretty much will want (and need) to fuse demons to proceed.
4) The SMT/Persona games have very interesting resistance/weakness subsystems. There are several types of elements (fire, electricity, cold, etc.) that demons can not only be weak to, but sometimes they can have various forms of resistance to instead - some demons may have a "Dr" (drain) resistance so that they actually heal from attacks of that element type. Other demons may reflect back, some may nullify it, etc. This same subsystem is in effect for your main character too based on armor/spells cast. And you can fuse demons together where maybe one (or both) of the demons may have a passive skill that eleminates a weakness to an element entirely - so that reinforces the demon summoning/fusing system.
5) You can keep a group of demons "in your party" but that are not on your "front line" with your main character. Useful to have demons who are mainly healers there to heal between combats. Also useful to keep specific demons in an "unsummoned" state so that you can bring them into combat when you need them.
6) Finally, the combat. The combat is very deep and satisfying. It is turn based but it is so much more satisfying than all too commonly found "spam attack button" fights found in most turn based JRPGs. In SMT, if you do nothing but attack (unless you are well overleveled) then you WILL die. Its as simple as that. The combats in this game are brutal and you and your party can go down damn fast if you are not being careful. The enemies (and your party) hit hard, weaknesses really do count in this game (you get extra turns if you can hit an enemy's weak point), and party composition planning and tactics are essential. Oh and the enemy party and bosses can hit your weaknesses for extra turns as well.

duckroll

Okay I finally got the Orcus. WHAT. THE. FUCK. That's not Orcus. Wtf did they do to the design. Wtf? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :(

Okay I finally got the Orcus. WHAT. THE. FUCK. That's not Orcus. Wtf did they do to the design. Wtf? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :(

I am not at all close to getting to that point but is there any chance it is similar to Strange Journey
where the real "Orcus" only emerges after fighting and defeating one of the bosses?
I hope anyway? :(

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Finally got to talk to the cynical man and I seem to be Law right now. Hopefully I have enough time to change it because I usually hate Law.

NeonZ

Are you sure you're in the right area? It's very small and only has two spawn points. I wasted a lot of time thinking that he could appear in the larger area, but two minutes after I focused on the right location (which is named in the quest) I got to face it.

Edit: Regarding his design, his old one is now called "Horkos" and is a separate demon, for some reason.

Volcynika

Really bummed out though that (first story based quest in Tokyo spoilers)

The guy that told you about the demon in the swamp got eaten by him D:

NeonZ

Really bummed out though that (first story based quest in Tokyo spoilers)

The guy that told you about the demon in the swamp got eaten by him D:

Regarding the man who gives the swamp quest,
I think that he was already dead when he talked to the player. That was a ghost or demon. The person who replaces the man after the quest is done talks like he has been dead for a while.

so that new equipment dlc atlus labels as free is actually 99 cents...

When I got my game almost a week ago there were three DLCs available. One cost either a dollar or two and the other two DLC were free. I don't know if they are still free or not but I don't think it was intended that they would be free for long.

Also, there is some kind of an update on the 3DS eShop for SMTIV that I just downloaded. Something about an update to the SMTIV streetpass feature? Not sure if anyone knew about that yet (I haven't been keeping up on this thread as it moves so fast).

GeekyDad

I tried that quest last night for about the same amount of time and finally gave up. It reminded me of soul farming in Dawn of Sorrows. I'll get back to it later, but so far, it's my least favorite sidequest in the game.

Also, there is some kind of an update on the 3DS eShop for SMTIV that I just downloaded. Something about an update to the SMTIV streetpass feature? Not sure if anyone knew about that yet (I haven't been keeping up on this thread as it moves so fast).

The update is to give you 40 app points whenever you streetpass another 3DS player who is playing SMT IV and I think also EO IV or maybe Soul Hackers, can't remember the other one. I also believe it's once per 3DS or person, of course I could be completely wrong on both counts :)

jorgeton

Where do I check my alignment so far?

Also, which one of the three is the "crap ending" mentioned above? There are three total, one for each alignment, right? I want to make sure I avoid any really crappy endings...

Answer in spoiler tags as needed, thanks!

There seem to be four endings actually. One per alignment, and the lazy bastard ending I just got
You meet the White and choose to turn the world to nothing.. and then it does. Black hole swallows everything up. Credits.

The good thing is that you can reload the save right before this choice, and try to get one of the better(?) endings.

Welp. Did the DLC Area Quests for the Demon Unlocks. Avoiding breaking the game is pretty easy for XP / App point ones as its easy to just farm the items the demon salesman wants (if you do XP early you can't really get Money/App points/Heavy Grimoires because the Mitama are too powerful and in the App Point one only the common Mitama in the area drop App Cards).

The macca one on the other hand is crazy game breaking, in the course of getting the items the demon salesman wanted I got 95 000 Macca worth of other items at a point in the game where I had ~5 k in the bank and had made ~9 k total in the entire game.

LayLa

Do we have a confirmed release date for this in the EU yet?
Nintendo UK have confirmed that it's going to be playable at the Hyper Japan event in London next weekend, so it must be coming soonish.
Wikipedia has a release date of September 19th, no idea where they got that from (and Amazon are still saying that Soul Hackers is coming on September 13th, what a clusterfuck of release schedules if both these dates were true!)

Do we have a confirmed release date for this in the EU yet?
Nintendo UK have confirmed that it's going to be playable at the Hyper Japan event in London next weekend, so it must be coming soonish.
Wikipedia has a release date of September 19th, no idea where they got that from (and Amazon are still saying that Soul Hackers is coming on September 13th, what a clusterfuck of release schedules if both these dates were true!)

The release date for SMT IV on Wikipedia is from EBGames Australia so take it with a grain of salt.

Soul Hackers at least has a Fall 2013 official announcement from NISA.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Having a real hard time deciding to play this or Soul Hackers first...both seem pretty solid.

Also lots of DLC talk sadly. Is it purely shortcut stuff? Faster access to XP/Money/etc?

Also what does Streetpass provide for these games? Never in my entire ownership of my 3DS have I had a street pass...though my system never leaves the nightstand. What would I be missing out on?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I wonder if Sakurai has played SMT. The SMT franchise has been with Nintendo for a long ass time, I'd rather see someone like Jack Frost than Pac-Man in Smash IV.

Plus they could also have a character there to promote FE x SMT.

Imagine a Tokyo Stage for the 3DS version of Smash. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
I think someone may have answered this in the early days of the thread, but I wanted to (re)confirm:

Buff/Debuffs do stack, correct? I can cast Rakunda multiple times on my party and it's supposed to stack the effect, right?

I ask, because a couple of Demon Domain battles that I fought, it wasn't clear to me if that was the case; the Demon's in question seemed to be damaging me as hard as ever.

Part of (my) problem is that I don't do nearly enough fusing; I tend to hold onto the same demons for quite awhile. It also bothers me that I can fuse higher level Demons, with lower MP than the Demons I'm fusing them with - which often makes transferring the various buff/debuff spells to a newly minted fusion feel like a waste, since I would only be able to cast them once or twice with the given MP.

I am loving this game, worts and all; Sometimes I do have to resort to the included guide, but only to figure out where to go next. In one instance, I would have had no idea that in order to advance the main story, I had to complete a challenge quest. That seems odd, but whatever.

Loving the game so far but am stuck on a challenge quest.

In Ueno
where the hell do I find Kin-ki to get the LED light? I know I must be missing something obvious, because the guide is NOT helping.

FSLink

Banned
I think someone may have answered this in the early days of the thread, but I wanted to (re)confirm:

Buff/Debuffs do stack, correct? I can cast Rakunda multiple times on my party and it's supposed to stack the effect, right?
Press X in battle to see the "effects" of buffs/debuffs.
They do stack, yes.

I wonder if Sakurai has played SMT. The SMT franchise has been with Nintendo for a long ass time, I'd rather see someone like Jack Frost than Pac-Man in Smash IV.

Plus they could also have a character there to promote FE x SMT.

Imagine a Tokyo Stage for the 3DS version of Smash. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

Not sure how credible the rumor is that Sakurai had Soul Hackers on him when Streetpassed at E3.

Loving the game so far but am stuck on a challenge quest.

In Ueno
where the hell do I find Kin-ki to get the LED light? I know I must be missing something obvious, because the guide is NOT helping.

Ueno Central Way, examine one of the doors and burroughs will warn you that there is a powerful demon ahead, then you have to battle through the domain.

NeonZ

I ask, because a couple of Demon Domain battles that I fought, it wasn't clear to me if that was the case; the Demon's in question seemed to be damaging me as hard as ever.

Yes, they do stack, thrice. You can press X and see how many multipliers are currently applied to each character on the field. Note that if you swap out a demon and replace them with another one the replacement won't carry the bonuses. When no one can receive a further buffs, the spell will be grayed out.

In one instance, I would have had no idea that in order to advance the main story, I had to complete a challenge quest. That seems odd, but whatever.

Well, if you talk with the minor npcs you meet, it's generally pretty obvious when a challenge quest is actually part of the required story. At least, up to the point I've played.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Not sure how credible the rumor is that Sakurai had Soul Hackers on him when Streetpassed at E3.

Wat.

So I'd assume he played SMTIV, loved it, and wanted more so decided to play SH.

SMT in SSBIV confirmed.

Edit: lol, just remembered there's a Masahiro Sakurai named character in Soul Hackers.

Top Bottom