• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Judging by the game clock most people are sharing for when they finished the game, I'm starting to think my 12 hours spent in the fusing room is abnormally high.

vall03

Judging by the game clock most people are sharing for when they finished the game, I'm starting to think my 12 hours spent in the fusing room is abnormally high.

Eh? Is spending that much time in the Cathedral of Shadows really that weird? I'm approaching 17 hrs in my playthrough and I'm nowhere near satisfied with the demons I'm fusing. I plan to even spend more time on it to get the best skills and best demons. Add also the fact that you gain a lot of exp late in the game, so new demons still get added.

Soulhouf

Every time I start doing fusions, I spend ridiculous amount of time doing it, and it increases with the number of demons in the compendium. Where I am right now I spend at least one hour fusing every time.
Being short on macca forces you to think twice I guess.

Alec

Beat the game at 40 hours, records say 8 hours spent in fusion.

Law ending...attempted to 'destroy the status quo' for neutral but was told I was too far to do it. Doing a New Game+ now.

Amazing game.

GeekyDad

Buying the money DLC makes me feel now a bit like I did when I made the decision that resulted in the "bad" ending. I essentially killed part of the game, a game I've loved. Now, aside from the few remaining challenge quests that might require it, there's absolutely no need to check relic locations anymore, which was a fairly significant portion of the gameplay, not to mention fun in an OCD-kinda way. Lamentation...

Learn from my mistake, oh children of the goddess. Repent and save your $30 eShop bonus for anything other than this twisted DLC they have presented as an offering to false gods. It will only lead you to ruin.

daveo42

Banned
Finally got my first few streetpasses with the game. Ending up with 40 app points and the MP walk ability as well as demons being fused off, which can be a bit jarring if you put demon you enjoy having around in the slot. Is this affected by the color of your card or is it just random?

Question about MP walk. Does it only affect the protag or only certain demons? It seems like one demon would gain back MP while the other two didn't get any back at all.

Mid-game spoilers:
Finally getting into the red pill stuff north of Shibuya. Pretty interesting that this red pill stuff was created to appease the demons but also transform humans into demons. At first I thought the red pill was something close to something like a capsule with human blood in it, but that's doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Time to finish up what side quests I can find and do and then move on to that bookstore.

Quests question:
Does it take some time to find the first set of relics that the Abbot wants you to find? I scoured Shibuya and came away with the PC and nothing else. Most other places are blocked off right now either due to the tenticle things or the fire walls.

Soulhouf

Buying the money DLC makes me feel now a bit like I did when I made the decision that resulted in the "bad" ending. I essentially killed part of the game, a game I've loved. Now, aside from the few remaining challenge quests that might require it, there's absolutely no need to check relic locations anymore, which was a fairly significant portion of the gameplay, not to mention fun in an OCD-kinda way. Lamentation...

Learn from my mistake, oh children of the goddess. Repent and save your $30 eShop bonus for anything other than this twisted DLC they have presented as an offering to false gods. It will only lead you to ruin.

I'm sorry to hear that :(
But thanks. I feel more confident for not buying it now even if I already learned my lesson with FE Awakening. I won't do that shit again.

I got the game two weeks ago but haven't had a chance to play. I'm going to take your word and play it without DLC and afterwards, I'll start another up. Thanks for the opinion!

vall03

Aw, am I the only one who doesn't regret getting the DLCs? I like to fuse a lot so I really really need tons of money and I find waiting for the relics to be too slow.

NeonZ

I bought the grinding DLC just for the pallet swap demons. Played enough to get enough tokens to unlock them, and probably won't return there anytime soon.

Is it true that the final DLC is actually story DLC that adds more to the game than pay-to-win?

After these first three DLCs, and aside from the costumes, every DLC will be boss battle DLCs which add more to the story and also have strong boss demons (that afterwards can be used by the player).

There are two DLCs for the Archangels (and finishing both there's also an Asmodeus palletswap, Aeshma), and then three DLCs with super bosses from each alignment. Each one of those DLCs are just a new battle surrounded by a bunch of story sequences before and after, with no new areas for exploration or dungeons.

GeekyDad

Aw, am I the only one who doesn't regret getting the DLCs? I like to fuse a lot so I really really need tons of money and I find waiting for the relics to be too slow.

Yeah, that's precisely why I broke down and bought it, that and I wanted to collect all of the game's armor. I didn't consider beforehand I'd be killing off part of the gameplay. And the demon you unlock from the DLC is almost like a middle finger from Atlus, saying, "Here's your golden calf, mother fucker!"

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Being force to do all these quests for
Neutral route
is kinda killing my love for the game.

Alright... I can not gain any levels because I am getting demolished trying to grind in this thing... I know I know I am not supposed to use it, has anyone else had any success with it and have any suggestions?

Aeana

Being force to do all these quests for
Neutral route
is kinda killing my love for the game.

The number of quests you have to do is actually not that many. Not that the game actually tells you. Here's what you need to do:
all 4 photo quests, and Nozomi's entire questline, Tokyo Cosmos, the hunter tournament, the first Red Knight quest in Tennozu, getting access to the secret shop in Ginza (so get the black card), and I think also the Dionysus wine quest as well.
There may be one or two more than that, but those are the major ones.

duckroll

How much is all the DLC gonna run us? $30 or so?

There are 5 legit boss Challenge Quest DLCs with new original demons, challenging bosses, and some extra story. There are 5 Costume DLCs including the one which is free for a limited period. There is 1 Headgear DLC which is free forever. There are 3 Cheat DLCs which provide areas you can farm for Exp, Macca, and App Points more easily. They're all going to run about 1-4 bucks each.

GeekyDad

Yeah, to me the
side-quest element of the
Neutral path
is almost like a reward, turning the game into a bit of a sandbox experience. I don't mind it, really, as the alignment lock was kind of the ending for me, anyway. I haven't actually finished the game, but that's how it feels right now, kinda like post-game DQIX.

Alec

Alright... I can not gain any levels because I am getting demolished trying to grind in this thing... I know I know I am not supposed to use it, has anyone else had any success with it and have any suggestions?

Basically just turn Auto-Battle on and cross your fingers that your team will kill one of the colorful-elemental-teardrop-looking demons.

(I started using the DLC pretty much right after I had gotten out of Naraku and into
Tokyo

Wasn't trying to use this to grind but I unlocked Napea around Level 8ish IIRC , so the strategy should work fine.

The trick when you're low level is to ignore the Mitama, focus your attacks on the demons accompanying them. The Mitama will run away and you'll get a light grimoire. You can use the XP from the Light Grimoire to level yourself and your demons up until you can take out the single Grey Mitama (note they are immune to Zan) , accompanying most demons, who drop Heavy Grimoires which give 1 level to whoever they are used on automatically.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
The number of quests you have to do is actually not that many. Not that the game actually tells you. Here's what you need to do:
all 4 photo quests, and Nozomi's entire questline, Tokyo Cosmos, the hunter tournament, the first Red Knight quest in Tennozu, getting access to the secret shop in Ginza (so get the black card), and I think also the Dionysus wine quest as well.
There may be one or two more than that, but those are the major ones.

I see, thanks.
I've done all of them but Nozomi's. Working on them now.
Glad to know that I'm almost done. It just kinda feels lazy to me since this could have been filled with more plot. Really looking forward to more story.

Yeah, to me the
side-quest element of the
Neutral path
is almost like a reward, turning the game into a bit of a sandbox experience. I don't mind it, really, as the alignment lock was kind of the ending for me, anyway. I haven't actually finished the game, but that's how it feels right now, kinda like post-game DQIX.

I really want to know what happens next and I'm just getting a little annoyed of getting lost and having to look up where to go lol.

You all were not kidding about level-ups coming faster as the game goes on. I just finished off a certain Roman god, and through that entire sequence of the game, I'd say I was gaining one level every five or six battles. I don't even know what to do with all my app points. I've probably skipped an entire generation of demons, but my current team has been untouchable, so I'm in no hurry to fuse more.

I should also admit that I was wrong earlier when I suggested conserving app points by using energy drain instead of investing in MP Recovery. Dresden and the rest of you touting that app were right. It is extremely powerful, and battles go much faster when you're not even a little worried about conserving MP.

Sleepy

There are 5 legit boss Challenge Quest DLCs with new original demons, challenging bosses, and some extra story. There are 5 Costume DLCs including the one which is free for a limited period. There is 1 Headgear DLC which is free forever. There are 3 Cheat DLCs which provide areas you can farm for Exp, Macca, and App Points more easily. They're all going to run about 1-4 bucks each.

Thanks. Going to skip the Macca and App DLC, as I can sometimes gain those in the EXP DLC, too. Seems I should have enough for the others with the $30 credit. Sweet...

GeekyDad

I really want to know what happens next and I'm just getting a little annoyed of getting lost and having to look up where to go lol.

Yeah, I'll admit to getting a little frustrated last night as well. It's the same issue I have with most RPGs, when you're trying to find places and things and mobs keep wanting to battle. It doesn't help that most of the mobs are really low level at this point. It can be quite annoying. That being said, I am enjoying the ability to explore at pretty much my leisure. Up until the alignment lock, the game is pretty much full throttle. So, it's nice to have some downtime.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I heard that you couldn't buy everything in the app store with just leveling up? Is that true or not?

vall03

Wait what?! You can't transfer Desperate Hit through normal fusion? Are there any other skills that can't be passed down normally through simple fusion? Also, do Gun Pleroma boost Desperate Hit damage?

Ourobolus

Banned
I heard that you couldn't buy everything in the app store with just leveling up? Is that true or not?

I think you need something like 2443 points to get everything. If the numbers I have are correct.
Demolingual Adds an ability in battle to understand demons that one normally can't talk to. 20
Demon Fusion Installs the "Cathedral of Shadows" App that allows you to fuse demons. 2
Demon Skill+ 1 Adds 1 skill slot for your demons. 20
Demon Skill+ 2 Adds 1 skill slot for your demons. 30
Demon Skill+ 3 Adds 1 skill slot for your demons. 30
Expand Stock 1 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 5
Expand Stock 2 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 5
Expand Stock 3 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 5
Expand Stock 4 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 5
Expand Stock 5 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 6
Fundraise Adds a talk skill to a demon for Macca during battle. 15
Mapper Installs a Mapper function to aid in your exploration. 1
Scout Adds a talk skill to recruit demons during battle. 1
Skill Expansion 1 Adds 1 skill slot for your skills. 20
Skill Expansion 2 Adds 1 skill slot for your skills. 30
Skill Expansion 3 Adds 1 skill slot for your skills. 30
Skill Augment Makes skills mutate more often. 60
Skill Expansion 4 Adds 1 skill slot for your skills. 40
Demon Enhancer: Ag Demons gain 1 more Ag than usual when leveling up. 25
Demon Enhancer: Dx Demons gain 1 more Dx than usual when leveling up. 25
Demon Enhancer: Lu Demons gain 1 more Lu than usual when leveling up. 25
Demon Enhancer: Ma Demons gain 1 more Ma than usual when leveling up. 25
Demon Skill+ 4 Adds 1 skill slot for your demons. 40
Expand Stock 10 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 7
Expand Stock 11 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 7
Expand Stock 12 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 7
Expand Stock 6 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 6
Expand Stock 7 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 6
Expand Stock 8 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 6
Expand Stock 9 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 7
Expert Fundraiser Gradually increases the Macca gained when using the Fundraise skill. 40
Expert Scout Greatly decreases the demon's demands when using the Scout skill. 30
Fundraise+ Receive additional Macca when using the Fundraise skill. 20
MP Recovery 1 Regenerates your MP while walking. 40
MP Recovery 2 Regenerates your MP while walking. 40
Party MP Recovery Regenerates MP for the party while walking. 70
Scout Bonus Demons befriended through the Scout skill will give you Macca. 15
Scout Gift Demons befriended through the Scout skill will give you an item. 15
Scout+ Demons befriended through the Scout skill will recruit other demons. 15
Skills Plugin Demons befriended through the Scout skill will learn new skills. 30
Stats Plugin Demons befriended through the Scout skill will have increased stats. 30
Summon Discount 1 Lowers Macca cost to summon demons from the Demon Compendium by 5%. 10
Summon Discount 2 Lowers Macca cost to summon demons from the Demon Compendium by 10%. 15
Summon Discount 3 Lowers Macca cost to summon demons from the Demon Compendium by 20%. 15
Summon Discount 4 Lowers Macca cost to summon demons from the Demon Compendium by 50%. 40
Auto-Pinpoint Allows for automatic targeting of enemy weaknesses in Auto-Battle. 30
Chitchat Adds a talk skill to decrease the Press Turns a demon gets in battle. 30
Chitchat+ Demons lose 2 Press Turns when using the Chitchat skill. 40
Demon Analyze Installs a function that allows you to view enemy demon's abilities. 20
Demon Enhancer: St Demons gain 1 more St than usual when leveling up. 25
Demon Fusion Lite Allows for simple, 2-demon fusion during battle. 20
Expand Stock 13 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 8
Expand Stock 14 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 8
Expand Stock 15 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 8
Expand Stock 16 Adds 1 slot to your demon stock. 8
Expert Chitchatter Greatly decreases the demon's demands when using the Chitchat skill. 40
Expert Negotiator Greatly decreases the demon's demands when using the Negotiation skill. 30
Expert Pleader Greatly decreases the demon's demands when using the Plead skill. 40
Expert Trader Greatly decreases the demon's demands when using the Trade skill. 30
Fusion Booster 1 Increases the level ceiling for fusions by 1. 40
Fusion Booster 2 Increases the level ceiling for fusions by 2. 40
Fusion Booster 3 Increases the level ceiling for fusions by 4. 50
Fusion Booster 4 Increases the level ceiling for fusions by 6. 50
Fusion Booster 5 Increases the level ceiling for fusions by 9. 70
Fusion Booster 6 Increases the level ceiling for fusions by 12. 70
Fusion Booster 7 Increases the level ceiling for fusions by 15. 70
Fusion EXP Boost 1 Increases the EXP gained through demon fusion by 1.2x. 10
Fusion EXP Boost 2 Increases the EXP gained through demon fusion by 1.5x. 15
Fusion EXP Boost 3 Increases the EXP gained through demon fusion by 2x. 20
Fusion EXP Boost 4 Increases the EXP gained through demon fusion by 3x. 20
Gift Augment Improves the quality of gifts you receive from your demons. 45
HP Recovery 1 Regenerates your HP while walking. 35
HP Recovery 2 Regenerates your HP while walking. 35
Negotiate Adds a talk skill to negotiate a cease-fire with demons. 20
Negotiate+ Heals the party when using the Negotiation skill. 20
Party HP Recovery Regenerates HP for the party while walking. 65
Plead Adds a talk skill to beg a demon to heal your party during battle. 30
Plead+ Receive a second round of healing when using the Plead skill. 40
Skill Smoother 1 Decreases the MP Cost of demons' skills by 1. 20
Skill Smoother 2 Decreases the MP Cost of demons' skills by 1. 20
Skill Smoother 3 Decreases the MP Cost of demons' skills by 1. 35
Skill Smoother 4 Decreases the MP Cost of demons' skills by 1. 35
Talk EXP Boost 1 Increases EXP gained through demon conversation by 1.2x. 10
Talk EXP Boost 2 Increases EXP gained through demon conversation by 1.4x. 15
Talk EXP Boost 3 Increases EXP gained through demon conversation by 1.6x. 20
Talk EXP Boost 4 Increases EXP gained through demon conversation by 1.8x. 40
Trade Adds a talk skill to negotiate with a demon for items during battle. 10
Trade+ Receive additional items when using the Trade skill. 20
悪魔クロックアップ F (Fusion Booster Final?) 合体可能レベルに制限がなくなる (Removes the level ceiling for fusions.) 200
Total: 2443

Wasn't trying to use this to grind but I unlocked Napea around Level 8ish IIRC , so the strategy should work fine.

The trick when you're low level is to ignore the Mitama, focus your attacks on the demons accompanying them. The Mitama will run away and you'll get a light grimoire. You can use the XP from the Light Grimoire to level yourself and your demons up until you can take out the single Grey Mitama (note they are immune to Zan) , accompanying most demons, who drop Heavy Grimoires which give 1 level to whoever they are used on automatically.

What are their weaknesses though, or do the mitamas not have any?

Is there a list of the best/most important apps to be sure to get?

Anyone have any suggestions, especially what to make sure to pick up first and foremost?

Esura

Banned
Thanks to the DLC I have all the Demon Enhancer apps and my Undead Alice is at level 80 with Die for Me!, Megidoplasma, Tetrakarn, Makarakarn, Concentrate, Null Phys, Debilitate, and Dekuna with stats at St 100, Dx 118, Ma 138, Ag 101, Lu 122. My MC is at level 75 with St 17, Dx 20, Ma 200, Ag 143, Lu 100 with all the Dynes, Concentrate, and Bad Company. I got the Neutral route and I'm past
the Monochrome Forest with Stephen and I talked to Skins about Masakado.
I wonder am I at a decent enough level to finish up the game but I'm a bit nervous. I think I should dope up some more demons.

GeekyDad

Is there a list of the best/most important apps to be sure to get?

Anyone have any suggestions, especially what to make sure to pick up first and foremost?

-MP regen apps -- all of them
-Skill expansion for MC
-Skill expansion for demons
-Demon stock expansion (though, you don't need to max them out right away)

Forkball

About 15 hours in and I'm starting to think there's not going to be a hot spring OR a beach mission. And they call this a JRPG.

PK Gaming

-MP regen apps -- all of them
-Skill expansion for MC
-Skill expansion for demons
-Demon stock expansion (though, you don't need to max them out right away)

The fusion booster skills are also pretty good in the lategame (they let you fuse high level demons at much lower level)

Esura

Banned
Would pay $3 for Isabeau bikini

Same. Isabeau is just too adorable. Especially when she lets her guard down when she talks about
manga
and starts blushing and I'm hnng-ing all over the place. Cutest girl in an Atlus game ever I'd daresay.

KarmaCow

Everytime I play this game I tell myself "Just keep moving, don't worry about fusing a demon with magic skills into a strength demon, it will be irrelevant in 5 levels anyway" and then an hour later I'm back in Naraku looking for a demon to fuse.

PK Gaming

Is there a different final boss in the unique path?

The final boss in the chaos path is Luficer, while the final boss in the Law path is Merkabah. Will neither of these entities exist in the neutral path?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is there a different final boss in the unique path?

The final boss in the chaos path is Luficer, while the final boss in the Law path is Merkabah. Will neither of these entities exist in the neutral path?

You fight em both. No unique Neutral Boss.

NeonZ

Can somebody explain me why all the DLCs are "expired" on my system?
I can't choose any of them.

Because Atlus is dumb and region locked them per country. You can only buy them if you change your location to Canada or the USA in your 3ds settings.

Yeah, I'll admit to getting a little frustrated last night as well. It's the same issue I have with most RPGs, when you're trying to find places and things and mobs keep wanting to battle. It doesn't help that most of the mobs are really low level at this point. It can be quite annoying.

Estoma Sword is the ability you want. Won't have to worry about low level enemies with it.

Top Bottom