• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Aeana

Thank Jesus. Reloaded save and chose a different answer. Now I'm on my way to Neutral. I guess my Chaos and Neutral points were neck and neck.

It's actually a spectrum. Chaos points subtract and law points add, and the neutral area is -8 to +8 on the spectrum.

Young Magus

What do you mean?

I should have worded it better: What were the last big decisions that you have made prior to being locked into your alignment?
Who did you went with when the path first split and what did you say when talking to the whites?

EDIT:
I've only beaten Hackers (first SMT game) will it give me a greater challenge?

It would but its nothing to be scared of. After the first few hours, the game's difficulty becomes manageable and challenging. SH is a pretty easy game compared to the other MegaTen games so this game delivers in terms of challenge.

4ebc02657ecfd2f0bfee3e75b91f1a12.png

I came across this and thought it would be great to attach to avatars, if we could find an English version.
This is awesome, I'm gonna throw it on mine lol

Just fused myself an awesome Atropos. Nulls everything but Phys and Ice and knows the four -dyne spells.

IWKYB

Banned
It would but its nothing to be scared of. After the first few hours, the game's difficulty becomes manageable and challenging. SH is a pretty easy game compared to the other MegaTen games so this game delivers in terms of challenge.

Not scared. I WANT it to be harder. Well that is all I needed to know. Getting it today. Thanks!

BlackJace

I should have worded it better: What were the last big decisions that you have made prior to being locked into your alignment?
Who did you went with when the path first split and what did you say when talking to the whites?

Oh. I first went with Walter. Then I initially said I wanted to destroy the status quo. That booted me to Chaos. I just reloaded my save and answered that I wanted to preserve the status quo. Now I'm on Neutral.

Mononoke

Banned

EDIT:

1. 1st option in all dialogue choices, including boss fights where something "ethical" is involved
2. No challenge quests that are unnecessary to progress story. You will do most of them in the end.
3. Side with Jonathan at split
4. Go left 3 times on hallway of questions
5. "Destroy the Status Quo" when that question is asked by 4 White Ones
6. Do not talk to the suicidal woman in Ikebu

Or you can talk to the suicidal woman in Ikeburo and pick the first option... And then you side with Walter at the split and say "Preserve the Status Quo" (instead of destroy) to the 4 White Ones.

This is what I did. I regret it now, that the game is a long ass fetch quest.

sorry if I'm in a Q&A mood but: long time SMT fans, is this your favorite or approaches being your favorite game in the series?

I'm not as far as some people in this thread (think I'm a little over halfway done?), but I'm enjoying this game more than Nocturne so far and that's probably my favorite in the series. This game is really good.

Aeana

sorry if I'm in a Q&A mood but: long time SMT fans, is this your favorite or approaches being your favorite game in the series?

It's really hard to say. I love all of them so much. Plus there's a nostalgia factor associated with SMT2 in particular. I'm more satisfied calling SMT1-4 one of the best runs in gaming and leaving it at that. But SMT4 is absolutely a fantastic game and one of my favorite games in years.

Fuck the Minotaur boss! I kept everyone buffed up, and have a decent party. I got him to the last dialogue option, but my Fortuna wasn't enough to take him out on her own. :(

Young Magus

Not scared. I WANT it to be harder. Well that is all I needed to know. Getting it today. Thanks!

Glad to hear, welcome to the party my friend :D
You will die so much!

Oh. I first went with Walter. Then I initially said I wanted to destroy the status quo. That booted me to Chaos. I just reloaded my save and answered that I wanted to preserve the status quo. Now I'm on Neutral.

Thank you I'll keep that path in mind

1. 1st option in all dialogue choices, including boss fights where something "ethical" is involved
2. No challenge quests that are unnecessary to progress story. You will do most of them in the end.
3. Side with Jonathan at split
4. Go left 3 times on hallway of questions
5. "Destroy the Status Quo" when that question is asked by 4 White Ones
6. Do not talk to the suicidal woman in Ikebu

Or you can talk to the suicidal woman in Ikeburo and pick the first option... And then you side with Walter at the split and say "Preserve the Status Quo" (instead of destroy) to the 4 White Ones.

This is what I did. I regret it now, that the game is a long ass fetch quest.

Here is the problem:
I went with the 2nd option on some (I would say 15-20%) of the choices. I did a few quest early in the game. I sided with Walter at the split. I went left 2 and right 1. I'm Neutral now and I haven't got to the point where the whites ask me about order.

Mononoke

Banned
Glad to hear, welcome to the party my friend :D
You will die so much!

Thank you I'll keep that path in mind

Here is the problem:
I went with the 2nd option on some (I would say 15-20%) of the choices. I did a few quest early in the game. I sided with Walter at the split. I went left 2 and right 1. I'm Neutral now and I haven't got to the point where the whites ask me about order.

Yeah game is all about balance. I just got lucky and happened to do it exactly like the above outline.
Although I talked to the suicidal woman and picked option 1. To correct this I sided with Walter but choice to preserve the status quo. That threw my balance back in the middle.

LProtag

Think I'm heading towards the end of the Law path.

Then I'll see if I can rally myself and start a new game + sometime soon.

God, Fortuna's MP supply is not cutting it for Minotaur. She only has Media, and with all the other buffs to consider, she's out of MP before I can kill him. This is frustrating.

Edit: got him! And only one casualty--it's weird how that can happen.

Hero

Haha, I always press all the buttons to figure out what they do in a game.

Also does the guide that the game comes with cover the ENTIRE game?

I'm only like 5-6 hours in but going by the guide it feels like a decent portion of the game is covered. Is it supposed to be like 40 hours long?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Haha, I always press all the buttons to figure out what they do in a game.

Also does the guide that the game comes with cover the ENTIRE game?

I'm only like 5-6 hours in but going by the guide it feels like a decent portion of the game is covered. Is it supposed to be like 40 hours long?

Guide covers somewhere between 30-40%.

Busaiku

I really love Demonee-ho, it's just a shame he's so much weaker than Shiva, Thor, Rama, and so on with this lack of Nulls/Drains/Repels.

Eusis

Man, when is Dis ever going to learn her last spell? Tempted to give in and get the EXP DLC JUST to level up demons and clear them out of stock.

Soulhouf

Before the alignment split choices *SPOILERS*.

From the beginning I thought Hugo was Uriel or Raphael. I guess I was wrong.
Gabby was easy to guess since Gabriel is the only female arch angel and her name is a pun.

It was very predictable and much less impressive than in SMTII but still nice. I can't help but laugh at the design though.
"The holy angels!" Me: I only see some ugly monsters...

vall03

I was wandering around and got my hands on the mediums for the various Tokyo demons. Are there any other requirements in order to fuse them? They don't seem to be appearing in the Cathedral of Shadows.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Question about the alignment lock and how to shoot for neutral:

When I was given the choice between Walter and Jonathan, I picked Walter. At that point I was neutral. If I understand correctly, the lock happens when I'm given the choice to click the remote after fighter Tayama and everything transforms, correct?

I had no option but to push it at that point, backing out isn't an option. I'm also assuming that pushing the button in itself gives Chaos points. When I loaded my game before that fight, I backtracked and asked about my alignment and turned out I was in Chaos, which isn't good obviously given the button will push me even further. The only options right now to readjust is to complete the finals of the tournament and spare everyone (I finished off everyone in the first round unfortunately).

Any general tips to how to stay neutral, if possible, going forward? Is there a way to earn law points after pushing the remote button?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Question about the alignment lock and how to shoot for neutral:

When I was given the choice between Walter and Jonathan, I picked Walter. At that point I was neutral. If I understand correctly, the lock happens when I'm given the choice to click the remote after fighter Tayama and everything transforms, correct?

I had no option but to push it at that point, backing out isn't an option. I'm also assuming that pushing the button in itself gives Chaos points. When I loaded my game before that fight, I backtracked and asked about my alignment and turned out I was in Chaos, which isn't good obviously given the button will push me even further. The only options right now to readjust is to complete the finals of the tournament and spare everyone (I finished off everyone in the first round unfortunately).

Any general tips to how to stay neutral, if possible, going forward? Is there a way to earn law points after pushing the remote button?

You are still many hours away from the alignment lock. There are several more choices to make. Pushing the button is not a choice that gives points because you have to do it to move the story forward. (At least, as far as I'm aware.) And, when the choice does come, you really do not want to stay neutral. You want to be slightly on one side or the other or else you'll be locked out of neutral.

Aeana

You are still many hours away from the alignment lock. There are several more choices to make. Pushing the button is not a choice that gives points because you have to do it to move the story forward. (At least, as far as I'm aware.) And, when the choice does come, you really do not want to stay neutral. You want to be slightly on one side or the other or else you'll be locked out of neutral.
It does give points, even though you're forced to do it. There are several choices in the game that are required that still give points.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It does give points, even though you're forced to do it. There are several choices in the game that are required that still give points.

Ah, I didn't see it listed in the points guide I looked at, so I didn't think it did.

Aeana

Ah, I didn't see it listed in the points guide I looked at, so I didn't think it did.
Check here: http://gamers-high.com/megami4/data/law-chaos.html

(ワルタールート)リモコンを押す(強制) 押す(-5) - -
砂漠の市ヶ谷駐屯地でリモコンを押す(強制) リモコンを押す(-5) - -
爆炎の市ヶ谷駐屯地でリモコンを押す(強制) リモコンを押す(+5) - -

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ah good to know. Since I'm already "hot-blooded" even before proceeding through that event I might as well go back to the tournament and spare some people. From there, I'm not sure if I should just pick every Chaos option until that final decision which gives a chunk of points and pull back or not.

I just really don't feel like accidentally ending up with Law. Lots of people are finding themselves unexpectedly locked to that one lol.

Either way, thanks for the answers guys. I can always rely on you two for alignment questions.
EWmof.gif

Edit: Are there any translations of that page, Aeana?

Frosteey

Neo Member
Just finished the neutral route.

Thoughts on stat and skill build.

Ended with

30 str
120 dex
30 mag
150 agi
310 luck

Titanomachia, mamudoon, judgement light, hamaon, mahama, debilitate, bufudyne, thunder reign.

Equipped the 1-3 attack spear from the last shop. Regular attack or Titanomachia were basically guaranteed crits and pretty nearly guaranteed smirk. Once I was smirked and had a couple of debilitates up Titanomachia would crit for 1k-1.3k. Even regular attacks with the spear averaged like 250 per hit, which isn't too bad for no mp cost and nothing but incenses invested in strength.

Gun shots were pretty weak and upgraded death bullets honestly didn't hit all that much (like, maybe 50% chance to activate once on a group of 3?), but as long as the enemy group didn't null gun it was always an option to start off a fight with 150ish damage to everything and a near-guaranteed press turn.

Mamudoon and Judgement Light were pretty much 100% hit rate against anything that didn't resist. Mahama was just for MP saving convenience since a lot of groups were weak to light and I didn't get the MP recovery app until super late (I always had 20 chakra drops and 10 chakra pots, plus mp recovery from constant level ups, so this was not actually a legitimate concern).

Elemental skills were there to hit random weaknesses, but made pretty obsolete once luck was in the upper 200s and crits were common while doing more damage. Well, Thunder Reign was slightly more damage that target-all death bullets. Probably would have replaced mahama and bufudyne with Bad Company and, uh, I guess Salvation at the very end maybe.
I stopped having him even cast debilitate near the end of the game since he was my most reliable press turner against bosses, so I'd just let demons do it.

Ended the game wearing a blue gunner hat, default blue samurai shirt, and aquila black pants from the last shop. Before that was the white king pants from Nozomi. I was a totally rad swashbuckler musketeer : (

Pretty satisfied with how it worked for bosses and random battles for most of the game.

Then very vague end of game story stuff

Wow Lucifer looks dumb : (

Entire ending sequence from the alignment split on felt a bit underwhelming, and looks like the other routes are even worse in that regard. Probably overall my biggest disappointment (not that it's completely awful by any means).

vall03

Sidequest spoilers

I was doing pretty well against Demiurge, albeit slowly dealing damage, until it suddenly got two Crits on one of my demons and then got a smirk and then followed by two Antichthons that wiped out my MC and my main healer. I will beat you bext time Demiurge! I'm just not prepared right now!

I'd also like to add, Doping is one of best late game skills, considering a lot of bosses are having Almighty spells that hit hard.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ooh I'm getting farther into the story

Mid Game Spoilers

The ceiling in Tokyo has only been there for 25 years? The Kingdom of Mikado looks like it has been there for generations! Also what about that Cocoon that supposedly had the chosen people inside, what happened to that? Something doesn't add up!

Also can I assume
Country A is America
?

Top Bottom