• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Vamphuntr

A musing: I wonder if it's gonna be a good idea to create a specific demon just to house all of those Nulls-skills. To use it as a base ingredients to spread out all of the null skills to other demons that may not require all of those Nulls-skills but just specific stuff to complement their weakness.

Speaking of which, anyone here using the Money DLC? Ginza is freaking insane what's with all the required money even just to explore around. How am I supposed to cope with that especially after purchasing all of those terribly expensive elemental bullets and special fusions? Gah.

I bought all cards and even stuff from the secret shop and never bought any DLC. Relics respawn quickly so you can make a mint in no time. Just sell equipment and items you don't use and farm relics. Later on there are two terminals located inside areas with 4-5 stars relics and with 4-5 stars relics spot just outside the areas. In both area on the world map encounters drop A5 demoloin which are worth a lot of Macca.

Nags

Banned
Are there really widespread complaints about this game in that vein? This game is modern as fuck, from the slick UI to the quest design.

The sprites are really the only antiquated aspect of the game, but they're animated so superbly that it's a non-issue.

I got into SMT when I got a review copy of Nocturne a bit before release, and it remains the gold standard to which I compare all JRPGs. This game is easily more "modern" than Nocturne in a lot of obvious ways.

This is the main reason that I hear. Thereby it is not a true sequel because the battles are not in full 3D and like Nocturne. "Lazy" has come up a lot in regards to their approach to battles. I have all sorts of issues with those bold claims.

It's a weak argument, especially in an era where we certainly have games as art.

When an artist decides they want to make something, they choose a canvas and they buy paint. Certainly no artist wants to half-ass, but there is a limit. How great you make something with what you have is apart of the process, and it also speaks to your abilities as an artist.

The decisions made by the designers were deliberate and in no way lazy.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So would it be okay to start with this game as opposed to any other SMTs? My only experience with Atlus RPGs are P3P and P4.

I definitely think SMTIV is more accessible than earlier games in the series. Especially if you are coming from Persona. It might feel kind of brutal in the beginning, but it gets easier.

Damn, every 5 minutes I hit another roadblock. Some of the vaguest directions I've ever encountered in a game.

"Find a large settlement of people".

Haha, alright.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I bought all cards and even stuff from the secret shop and never bought any DLC. Relics respawn quickly so you can make a mint in no time. Just sell equipment and items you don't use and farm relics. Later on there are two terminals located inside areas with 4-5 stars relics and with 4-5 stars relics spot just outside the areas. In both area on the world map encounters drop A5 demoloin which are worth a lot of Macca.

Secret Shop you say.

Hmmmm.

If it's not a plot-related spoiler, I would like to know how/where I can find it.

Also, is there a point of no return for sidequests? As far as I can tell, I can postpone them basically indefinitely, correct?

Watashiwa

Secret Shop you say.

Hmmmm.

If it's not a plot-related spoiler, I would like to know how/where I can find it.

Also, is there a point of no return for sidequests? As far as I can tell, I can postpone them basically indefinitely, correct?

Ginza. You need a fat wad of cash and a small chain of sidequests to convince four individuals to stand aside. Once you get the fourth to move you get access to a shopping district with the best equipment shop in the game.

There is a point of no return for sidequests
the end of the initial alignment split. Once you pick a person to side with, do all the challenge quests you have access to, because there's a 2/3 chance that when you come back you'll be locked out of any given quest

BlackJace

I can't beat (boss spoiler)
Kenji
. It's insane how cheap this is. His basic attack hits everyone multiple times, and 70% of the time one of us gets critical'd, and he gets an extra move. I can deal with Conquerer's Spirit and Maragidyne, but when he gets an extra move off of a critical, its fucking over. To make matters worse, he spams fucking Mamudoon, which of course nails someone. And to top it all off, Ancient Curse, which afflicts every ailment in the game.

What the hell. Halp.

Bogeypop

Law-route End Dungeon Spoilers: I beat
Belial
, but I don't know where to go from here. I keep going through all the doors, but the only indication that the
room changes
is the
number of treasure chests in the center of the room from 1 to 3.

Any help?

EDIT: Figured it out. You have to
loot every chest before the second boss door will "appear".
Ridiculous since I
sometimes ignore chests when I'm full on that item.

Dresden

Kenji
. It's insane how cheap this is. His basic attack hits everyone multiple times, and 70% of the time one of us gets critical'd, and he gets an extra move. I can deal with Conquerer's Spirit and Maragidyne, but when he gets an extra move off of a critical, its fucking over. To make matters worse, he spams fucking Mamudoon, which of course nails someone. And to top it all off, Ancient Curse, which afflicts every ailment in the game.

What the hell. Halp.

Shouldn't be that hard, just equip the following:

black demonica chestpiece
silver necklace (or whatever that Null Bind accessory is called)

Now you'll break his turns whenever he spams Ancient Curse. As for Mamudoon, get demons with resist or null dark, or use Tetraja.

Bogeypop

Now you'll break his turns whenever he spams Ancient Curse. As for Mamudoon, get demons with resist or null dark, or use Tetraja.

Oddly enough Makarakarn also reflects the Hama and Mudo class skills. Obviously won't insta-kill bosses but it'll make them waste their turns nonetheless.

BlackJace

Alright, I've got all of the above but the necklace. I'll try the tetraja tactic.

hawk2025

Do side quests also change alignment? I just did one that had no choices, but from the outcome was definitely a "Law" sidequest, if such a thing exist. Is it?

ezekial45

Banned
I'm very early on in the game, just got the quest to
rescue Navarre from the dungeon
, what's the best advice you can give early on?

I'm trying to be cautious with my stat points, but I feel like I'm spreading them out too much. Should I just dump them into one category for a couple levels?

Kenji

What the hell. Halp.

I am about to start this battle. What element is it weak to?

Young Magus

Post-Camp Ichigaya Spoilers:
I split off with Walter and killed Tayama. Now I'm in a Alternate Tokyo where the Law theme starts playing. I'm Neutral right now and is there a chance that I can keep it that way? If now what are the exact steps I need to take?

Fire and Wind. Good freaking luck :p

I beat this boss 3 times because I wanted to see the bad ending and had Alice, Berserker and Arahabaki and had zero issues. Once fully debilitated and with a few null physical demons, he's a pushover.

Post-Camp Ichigaya Spoilers:
I split off with Walter and killed Tayama. Now I'm in a Alternate Tokyo where the Law theme starts playing. I'm Neutral right now and is there a chance that I can keep it that way? If now what are the exact steps I need to take?

You can't really do anything per se, you have to balance your next decisions in order to remain neutral since there's no real neutral choice. If you mainly picked Chaos decisions, go Law the next time

I'm trying to be cautious with my stat points, but I feel like I'm spreading them out too much. Should I just dump them into one category for a couple levels?

Pick an area to focus on and put your stat points in that. Either go with a physical MC and focus on Dex (Strength is really not worth it) or make your MC a caster and focus on Magic. Agility and Luck are good as secondary stats, and Luck is especially important if you go physical. Spreading your points out thin will just result in an unfocused character who isn't particularly great at anything.

Fuse often. Save often. Take advantage of talking options with demons and invest in the Fundraiser app (because money is hard to come by, especially early on). Try to cover your weaknesses well and be able to take advantage of any enemy weakness. Use buffs and debuffs because they're powerful (and necessary for most boss fights). And make sure to have a number of Dis-Poisons and ideally a demon that knows Posumudi, because Poison and Sickness will really fuck you up (especially the latter because it's contagious).

4ebc02657ecfd2f0bfee3e75b91f1a12.png

I came across this and thought it would be great to attach to avatars, if we could find an English version.

BlackJace

Well, I beat him. I think Dresden said it best: a lot of things about the game make it amazing, but its a pain in the ass how insanely crucial the first turn is for boss demons.

totowhoa

Banned

Yeah if you've been being even about it then do a bit of dumping. Dump into DX for a phys build (DX gives a bigger boost to guns -- you can't buy guns early on but skills like Needle Shot are gun-type skills). Dump in Mag if you want to go that route. Avoid STR -- it's the worst of the two possible phys builds.

Dump a shit ton into luck if you're familiar with SMT games and want to have a weird MC. (probably gonna do this on my second play through)

Edit: thought the bottom of that image above was the world's biggest spoiler. quote that image mang

Poyunch

For late-game Neutral path players.

Oh my god, Beelzebub is so difficult. I had to spend money just to unlock the pricey Ginza shops so that I could buy armor that could cover both Mudoon and Bullets.

Aeana

For late-game Neutral path players.

Oh my god, Beelzebub is so difficult. I had to spend money just to unlock the pricey Ginza shops so that I could buy armor that could cover both Mudoon and Bullets.

I was talking to duckroll last night about it. I said "Hey, remember optional super bosses in RPGs?" It's a real shame that they've been such a rarity lately. That fight was good fun.

Okay, I am locked in the Chaos Path, is the Neutral Ending good enough to warrant a replay ? I am still trying to decide if I am going to see it on YouTube or not, I think the problem is not the ending exactly, I'm going to miss some bosses but I don't think I'll have the patience to replay.

Well, in the end I can't really blame the game, I did the Nayoa Route in Devil Survivor and True Demon Path in Nocturne, it seems I like them more, tomorrow I shall finish this.

Young Magus

You can't really do anything per se, you have to balance your next decisions in order to remain neutral since there's no real neutral choice. If you mainly picked Chaos decisions, go Law the next time

I've been mainly going back and forth between the decisions and I was Law prior to siding with Walter. Are there Two (or more) huge decisions that I should look out for to stay alert or just keep going back and forth between Law and Chaos?

Mononoke

Banned
I just got to level 70 and I picked the neutral path.
Holy crap, this Chalice mission is kind of game breaking for me. I was loving this game so much then it all came to a slow grind having to go back and complete all these side missions. I feel like giving up. :/

out of curiosity how would you guys put this game's graphics up against other 3ds games it looked pretty goddamn good when I was watching pre-release trailers. Does it beat something like a Revelations?

Young Magus

Is this game worth it? Might get it today...

Most definitely worth it, if you love JRPG or just looking of something for your 3DS, YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO GET THIS AWESOME GAME!!

I just got to level 70 and I picked the neutral path.
Holy crap, this Chalice mission is kind of game breaking for me. I was loving this game so much then it all came to a slow grind having to go back and complete all these side missions. I feel like giving up. :/

Shiiiiet. I wanted Neutral.

What do you all do? Tell me how you both got to where you are.

Poyunch

I was talking to duckroll last night about it. I said "Hey, remember optional super bosses in RPGs?" It's a real shame that they've been such a rarity lately. That fight was good fun.

It's kicking my ass and I feel like there's nothing I can do.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
out of curiosity how would you guys put this game's graphics up against other 3ds games it looked pretty goddamn good when I was watching pre-release trailers. Does it beat something like a Revelations?

Revelations? Nahhhhhhhh.

But Revelations is "cheating" with so many closed confines and such, while this is more open in general. But for a 3DS this game features pretty enough graphics.

BlackJace

Thank Jesus. Reloaded save and chose a different answer. Now I'm on my way to Neutral. I guess my Chaos and Neutral points were neck and neck.

Top Bottom