• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I don't know where I am in the story, but it's a pretty big alignment decision. I guess if your finished the game, highlight the spoiler:
I'm at the point where you decide to open the portal to the Expanse. I'm not a fan of this path because it's so extreme. I wish there was a more neutral path than this. I don't agree with either a free for all society nor one ruled by angels. What to do???

GeekyDad

I don't know where I am in the story, but it's a pretty big alignment decision. I guess if your finished the game, highlight the spoiler:
I'm at the point where you decide to open the portal to the Expanse. I'm not a fan of this path because it's so extreme. I wish there was a more neutral path than this. I don't agree with either a free for all society nor one ruled by angels. What to do???

LIZLSI4.jpg

GeekyDad

Lol. Pretty much.

I'm kinda sour cuz it feels like the endgame is soon and I'm only 35 hrs in. I thought the game is 60 hrs. :(

Well, if you're just finishing up
Reverse Hills
, then you've still a ways to go. If you're beyond that (and I can't say much more without spoiling things for you), then yeah, you're at the tail end of the game.

Sleepy

I think this needs to be said again: The battle system in this game is fucking awesome. Exploiting a demon's weakness, getting critical hits, press turn; it all just works so well. I just fought a major boss and was getting two full rounds of attacks with each character for its one round, which would sometimes get eliminated by a null, a miss, or a block.

If you know what you are doing with the battle system, the game is almost too easy.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I'm at the point where:

I need to choose between going with Walter or Jonathan
. Since Isabeau is not an option, I assume I no longer have the neutral path available, right?

. Since Isabeau is not an option, I assume I no longer have the neutral path available, right?

Pretty lame that Isabeau isn't an option because the lead up to it seemed only chaos or law.

Aeana

Wrong. Those are the only choices no matter what. You've still got a ways to go before you're locked.

Young Magus

Duuude,
I'm in the same boat man. I'm neutral at the moment and seeing both worlds made me think hard about what to say when it comes time to lock myself in. Also, when the chaos theme from SMT 2 starts playing when talking to Akirain LAW Tokyo, I was like WHOH!!

Naw dude, it's still available but the following decision does play a role in whether or not you get it.

Vamphuntr

There are 5 legit boss Challenge Quest DLCs with new original demons, challenging bosses, and some extra story. There are 5 Costume DLCs including the one which is free for a limited period. There is 1 Headgear DLC which is free forever. There are 3 Cheat DLCs which provide areas you can farm for Exp, Macca, and App Points more easily. They're all going to run about 1-4 bucks each.

I wish they would add a good dungeon via like they added the Labyrinth of Amala in Nocturne. It's the only thing I find lacking in the game to be honest. Even the final dungeons were disappointing to me.

Hopefully the DLC release schedule will be better than Fire Emblem. I was expecting to buy them all but 2 months later the ones I wanted were not released yet so I kind of moved on to other games.

Will buy the DLC with challenge bosses for sure with the 30$.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Can someone please remind me what
Lilith
said about the current state of the world previous to the
choose between Walter or Jonathan decision
. I need to make a decision now.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to "grind" alignment? I'd prefer to go through the Neutral path because I know I won't have time for a second playthrough.
Nope, just optional sidequests that can sway you one way or the other. Nothing repeatable or reliable.

The alignment scale is from -100 (chaos) to +100 (law), and neutral is from -8 to +8, so a tiny window. There are several major choices which will push you +10/-10, and a forced +5 law choice at one point. This creates a window between -3 and -6 where it's actually impossible to get neutral.

You'll basically need to use a guide or get very lucky if you want to go for a neutral end the first time through.

Nope, just optional sidequests that can sway you one way or the other. Nothing repeatable or reliable.

The alignment scale is from -100 (chaos) to +100 (law), and neutral is from -8 to +8, so a tiny window. There are several major choices which will push you +10/-10, and a forced +5 law choice at one point. This creates a window between -3 and -6 where it's actually impossible to get neutral.

You'll basically need to use a guide or get very lucky if you want to go for a neutral end the first time through.

Am I missing out on anything substantial by going Law/Chaos, then? And can I keep track of the number of points anywhere?

duckroll

I wish they would add a good dungeon via like they added the Labyrinth of Amala in Nocturne. It's the only thing I find lacking in the game to be honest. Even the final dungeons were disappointing to me.

If they do, I can't imagine it coming out anytime soon. It would take a few months just to design and produce the content, and put it through QA/testing, etc.

Kyonashi

Do we have a confirmed release date for this in the EU yet?
Nintendo UK have confirmed that it's going to be playable at the Hyper Japan event in London next weekend, so it must be coming soonish.
Wikipedia has a release date of September 19th, no idea where they got that from (and Amazon are still saying that Soul Hackers is coming on September 13th, what a clusterfuck of release schedules if both these dates were true!)

That and Ace Attorney 5 playable are the only reasons I'm attending. Hoping I can ask an attendant about the UK/EU release date.

GeekyDad

GameFly just sent me this! Lets do this!

Here's what you need to do: send that shit back and go buy a copy. This is not a rental, trust me. :p

I know I have. Gave it the 5 stars that the game deserves.

Yeah, right after completing
Reverse Hills
, I made sure to 5-star it. Game has all sorts of design elements that trip me up, but this is still perhaps the best thing I've played since Demon's Souls (Dark Souls included).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Yeah, it's kinda bullshit how small the window is for Neutral.

I didn't realize about one certain part that I did
the suicidal woman in Ikebukero
gives you a +10/-10 alignment points , although, at the present I am still neutral at the moment. (Little guy on map screen goes left and right).

I'm looking at some tips to hopefully help keep me in that window, but I fear I may be a bit screwed, especially when that +5 law part comes up.

Holy moly, spoiler post Camp Ichigaya:
so pressed the button and opened the Expanse. Now I'm in Tokyo wasteland. What did I do?!!!

Just when I thought the game couldn't get better it does...

So am I locked into Chaos path now?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Really? (spoilers)
so if I side with Johnathan and go after Lilith, the destroyed Tokyo still happens?
He even mentions it when you wake up

The argument between him and Walter where he says "No, Hero was with me fighting Lilith before we got here", while Walter says you were with him fighting Tayama

Really? (spoilers)
so if I side with Johnathan and go after Lilith, the destroyed Tokyo still happens?

I was wondering the same thing after I made my initial choice, if you stick with it they explain exactly what's going on. I was very confused when I arrived at where you are for the first time.

Caladrius

Really? (spoilers)

Yes.
There is another version of Tokyo you have to go through after the wasteland, and then there's the next area where your alignment will be locked in.

Watashiwa

sorry if I'm in a Q&A mood but: long time SMT fans, is this your favorite or approaches being your favorite game in the series?

Mmm... I don't think so. This is a *fine* game, but I spend half my time playing this thinking about a Strange Journey remake that looked this good. I just like SJ better.

Einbroch

Banned
Here's what you need to do: send that shit back and go buy a copy. This is not a rental, trust me. :p

Meh, the price is off-putting and I haven't bought a game in three years outside of MMOs/XBLA/PSN only games. I can totally knock this out before August 20th, and if I do, it only costs me $12 to rent the game for basically a month. :p

What are their weaknesses though, or do the mitamas not have any?

Mitama don't have weaknesses. But they do Null the element of their color / they attack with (and Light/Dark).

-MP regen apps -- all of them
-Skill expansion for MC
-Skill expansion for demons
-Demon stock expansion (though, you don't need to max them out right away)

The Scout line up to (and including) Scout+ is handy for recruiting some Undead demons too.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Check here: http://gamers-high.com/megami4/data/law-chaos.html

(ワルタールート)リモコンを押す(強制) 押す(-5) - -
砂漠の市ヶ谷駐屯地でリモコンを押す(強制) リモコンを押す(-5) - -
爆炎の市ヶ谷駐屯地でリモコンを押す(強制) リモコンを押す(+5) - -

I was going to say they cancel each other out, but I guess only the last two do. But
I guess since the first one is some of the expected Chaos points from Walter's path, that's alright. Though I wish you could refuse to press it in the end and then Walter does it instead. I get WHY they were so insistent that you do it, but it's still a bit annoying. In the end even though I went with Walter I didn't particularly want to press it.

I was wondering the same thing after I made my initial choice, if you stick with it they explain exactly what's going on. I was very confused when I arrived at where you are for the first time.

Yes.
There is another version of Tokyo you have to go through after the wasteland, and then there's the next area where your alignment will be locked in.

Wow, so the game really is way longer than I thought. Fantastic!!

(Spoiler)

I'm kinda sad I can't go back to original Tokyo and finish up side quests though. In my eagerness to see the story I progressed to quickly.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

(Spoiler)

I'm kinda sad I can't go back to original Tokyo and finish up side quests though. In my eagerness to see the story I progressed to quickly.

You aren't completely locked out of those yet.

So to answer that
you will come back to the Tokyo as you knew it, depending upon the final decision you make or where you fall on the alignment scale as in Law, Chaos, or Neutral. I'm on the Neutral path and so I ended up back in Tokyo and was able to continue doing quests, although its true some where locked out completely and I'll have to get them the next go around. I assume if you went Law or Chaos it's essentially the same thing. Long post made short, the games not nearly over for you yet and you're not finished with the original Tokyo either as far I know.

So to answer that
you will come back to the Tokyo as you knew it, depending upon the final decision you make or where you fall on the alignment scale as in Law, Chaos, or Neutral. I'm on the Neutral path and so I ended up back in Tokyo and was able to continue doing quests, although its true some where locked out completely and I'll have to get them the next go around. I assume if you went Law or Chaos it's essentially the same thing. Long post made short, the games not nearly over for you yet and you're not finished with the original Tokyo either as far I know.

The game that keeps on giving.

What does new game+ entail?

Just in case I'm leaving my second save per decision untouched so I can go back.

Korosenai

Question about the Summon Stone item. I need some money and I can sell it for 10,000, but is it worth keeping? I mean, I can only use it once to revive a demon and that's it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Question about the Summon Stone item. I need some money and I can sell it for 10,000, but is it worth keeping? I mean, I can only use it once to revive a demon and that's it.

Yes, sell them. They aren't all that useful, specially if you have a skill like bad company.

Top Bottom