• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've been put off by the slow start of this one, as opposed to Strange Journey which sucked me in instantly...but I've been grinding conversations with demons like crazy. It's been fun, hopefully that's worth it.

daripad

Gosh dern it! Why does this have to be on the 3DS?
In case you haven't noticed 3DS is slowly becoming an Atlus machine. If you like their games you would have one already!

btw I just got my copy, I haven't played any SMT nor Atlus games besides the Etrian Odissey IV demo. Any recommendations, things to avoid, any message for me?

Daingurse

Just got my package from Amazon. This boxset is fucking nice. Worth it.

ikvUySsprqu8c.jpg

Busaiku

Beelzebub was pretty free, nothing compared to Demiurge.
But then again, I was like 10 levels lower and didn't have Shiva back then...

I think even Demiurge would be free at this point.

GeekyDad

Okay...after seeing some of the prices in the "secret shop," I'm not regretting the money DLC so much anymore. Still, you gotta grind a lot even in the money DLC just to afford a single piece of gear in that place -- whoa!

That's lawful because of the expressed intent to go on a killing spree. You're preserving law and order.

Also, what are the challenge quests that open up on a NG+? I've got a Nue hunting competition in Naraku that I don't remember from my first run, and a handful of other challenge quests that I've never seen before.

That makes no fucking sense. How is killing a murderous demon chaotic?

Busaiku

This full outfit cost over a million macca:

hSN3Qym.jpg

But worth it. Now, that's a samurai outfit right thar!

Besides the Celtic set, I wasn't really a fan of the full sets of most of the armors.
I like Flynn with his flowing locks.

I went with Celtic White, Nibelungen, and Genka Rindo.
I didn't go for the full Celtic set cause I like the Nibelungen upper body about as much as the Celtic upper body, but Physical Repel is too good.

I can afford a good accessory, but I'm saving my Macca for demons during future playthroughs.
Still sticking with the good old Antidote Ring.

vall03

That makes no fucking sense. How is killing a murderous demon chaotic?

I think its the same with
Issachar
which you will notice with the dialogues of both Walter and Jonathan.
This is just speculation on my part, but you will notice that the Dullahan was a human turned demon and Jonathan hesitates because he still thinks it was a human. So killing it basically means killing a human, I think...

GeekyDad

Besides the Celtic set, I wasn't really a fan of the full sets of most of the armors.
I like Flynn with his flowing locks.

I went with Celtic White, Nibelungen, and Genka Rindo.
I didn't go for the full Celtic set cause I like the Nibelungen upper body about as much as the Celtic upper body, but Physical Repel is too good.

I can afford a good accessory, but I'm saving my Macca for demons during future playthroughs.
Still sticking with the good old Antidote Ring.

I was diggin' most of those sets. I might try to grind one a day. Takes a loooooooooooooot of grinding for gold assets, though. Ugh...

As an aside, it's kinda cool you can nab some exp and app assets in the money DLC as well. Every now and again you'll run into a mob that has all four mitamas, each giving your different loot.

Status Ailments on bosses.

Should I bother trying? Some of them seem like they'd be amazing, but I'm finding that buffing myself and exploiting weaknesses is working pretty well for me.

According to other sites, sparing her is Chaos. It's just that one that says otherwise.

The guide also neglects to give point values for some choices. So does anyone have an actual guide for getting neutral and not one that will fuck me over by listing things wrong?

Stoze

I got the game in from Newegg a couple days ago, the box and guide/manual book is pretty sexy. They're still doing a promo there fyi, if you order from their app with google wallet, you get $15 off your purchase over $50 (you have to add some shit though because 49.99 dosen't count).

That being said, I've never played a SMT game before, or a Persona game...or any ATLUS JRPG for that matter. In fact I rarely have played any JRPGs that aren't from the SNES era. But it feels like its time for a meaty rpg, and I want dat $30 FExSMT promotion so I figured I'd try this out and go in pretty much blind.

From a few vids I've seen I think I get the basics. From this thread I've gathered that the STR stat is near useless, and that the game starts out pretty damn hard and gets easier as you go. Any other tips I should know before I jump in?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The guide also neglects to give point values for some choices. So does anyone have an actual guide for getting neutral and not one that will fuck me over by listing things wrong?

Well, so far I'm using this guide, but it's only helpful if you are using it from the beginning:

http://www.netowa.jp/3ds/megaten4/cat5328/neutral/

Also, it has at least one question where the alignments are listed wrong, so I can't fully recommend it until I've tested it myself.

In continuing tales of amusing demon conversations:

Balor: Give me a massage.

I start giving myself a massage.

Balor: Are you mocking me? Your form is all wrong; let me teach you the proper way to massage.

The demon's heart was swayed!

Lovely.

Sleepy

Any other tips I should know before I jump in?

Go magic, I think. I am too far along in the DEX path, but it seems pretty fucking useless so far. Also, LUCK actually does something in this game.

Oh, and save after every fucking battle, especially boss battles as you will be depleted and will get attacked soon after. At least until you get to level 30 or so, and then after every few battles. I am not kidding.

About the 30$ e-Shop credit:

Seems that I can't redeem it since I apparently need an American adress. Will they really just send it per post? I thought they might send it via eMail. *sigh*

Any confirmations? Because if it's hopeless (I'm from Europe), I'll give the credit away for free...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
About the 30$ e-Shop credit:

Seems that I can't redeem it since I apparently need an American adress. Will they really just send it per post? I thought they might send it via eMail. *sigh*

Any confirmations? Because if it's hopeless (I'm from Europe), I'll give the credit away for free...

It isn't sent anywhere. It is listed in your Club Nintendo account and you can just grab the code from there.

TWILT

Banned
So I just completed the Ueno
Hunter Tournament challenge quest (the prelims anyway) and I spared all 4 of my opponents. Just to make sure, that's 4 points into law right?

I'm following this alignment guide right now, and it's a little confusing lol.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Chaos end game spoilers:
When Walter sees Hikaru in Florida he says, "Why the devil are you here!?" Teehee~

Aeana

So I just completed the Ueno
Hunter Tournament challenge quest (the prelims anyway) and I spared all 4 of my opponents. Just to make sure, that's 4 points into law right?

I'm following this alignment guide right now, and it's a little confusing lol.
If you follow it from the very beginning of your game (too late now I know), it makes it easier. If you follow the double circle choices, it assumes you aren't doing challenge quests, and if you follow the single circle choices, it covers the challenge quest choices near the bottom. But those are two routes for guaranteed neutral.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Neutral route spoilers:

What the hell do I do at the Hall of Eternity?

Choose a door. When in the respective rooms with 2 chests or 3 chests, save and take a guess through each door. You will fight a boss within one of the doors. Reload if you don't encounter one. Once you do find the other room with the other number of chests and repeat. Then a new path shall open.

Chaotic.

Ties

Banned
Choose a door. When in the respective rooms with 2 chests or 3 chests, save and take a guess through each door. You will fight a boss within one of the doors. Reload if you don't encounter one. Once you do find the other room with the other number of chests and repeat. Then a new path shall open.

Chaotic.
Holy shit that sounds tedious, is the entire dungeon like that?

Vamphuntr

If you simply want to get through it quickly :

When there is 3 chests in the middle take the west door on the first floor. Where there are 2 chests in the middle take the south eastern door on the second floor

You don't need to guess. I am shocked people haven't figured out the trick yet. Hint: All the doors but one will show ENTER on them from any distance. Only the real one will only show it when you get close.

What? No, killing the demon is Lawful, sparing it is Chaotic.

Maybe you should read my post then buddy. The guide I mentioned said the opposite, and I called it out on that.

Top Bottom