• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

vall03

Just beat
Beelzebub
I've been reading that he does this dreaded triple Megidolaon and he only used it to me once throughout the whole fight. He just kept on spamming Pandemic Bomb, which luckily my MC Nulls so thats -2 Press Turns for him all the time. Little to no problems at all, thanks to Doping too.

Busaiku

Gotta say, I liked the Law ending a lot more than the Chaos ending.

Spoilers for both.
One of the reasons that I didn't like the Chaos ending was that Walter was completely gone.
Why was it Hikaru during the rooftop scene and not Walter?
At least it felt like Jonathan was still present in Merkabah, whereas Lucifer felt completely unlike Walter.

It's just whether you introduced yourself or not.

Hrmm. So assuming the guide is accurate, I fucked up already by choosing to
not spare Issachar temporarily
but I plotted out a path that ends me at -7 which is enough for neutral, assuming the choices on the guide without point value are truly without point value, and the Durahan question isn't fucked up which it probably is.

I'm probably going to end up on fucking chaos path this time around. W/e, it is different than my last route and at least it goes by quick with a suped up NG+ MC.

Hopefully I can get neutral before school starts.

Busaiku

Gah, so now I've gotta do the Bad Ending, and then the Neutral Ending...
At least I can test to see if the Neutral Ending strategies actually work or not.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Gotta say, I liked the Law ending a lot more than the Chaos ending.

Spoilers for both.
One of the reasons that I didn't like the Chaos ending was that Walter was completely gone.
Why was it Hikaru during the rooftop scene and not Walter?
At least it felt like Jonathan was still present in Merkabah, whereas Lucifer felt completely unlike Walter.

If only you knew.

Can't strike a domain door

Raise stats. Get demons. Learn weaknesses. Get lucky. Learn new skills. Yadda yadda.

esoterika

Neo Member
I'm being told that I'm Neutral by the guy in the bar. I've heard Neutral is the hardest path, so should I try to stay that way now that I've done so well?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, it just didn't feel like he was there, whereas I felt like Jonathan was always there in Merkabah.
And that baby was supposed to be Walter?! I didn't notice during the 2nd form of the fight.

Yep. Pay attention to it next time and you'll see the blue scarf. Also the fusion kills the one counterpart. Walter essentially dies. Whereas Jonathan's will merges with the Archangel's.

Reveirg

Kinda stuck, Late-game spoiler:

I'm on the Walter path, I have the choice between pressing the remote's button or not. I said "no" as I want to try and get back to neutral. But that just makes me quit the room. Am I forced to press the button to continue progress?

Finally finished Chaos, I got distracted by some challenge quests near the end and maybe I was a little bit overpowered in the boss fight, because I nailed it in my first try. Now I'll just wait for a more reliable neutral path guide and I think I'll give it a try depending on how much time it takes, I think it doesn't take much because you can start the NG+ with an OP MC. :p

Spoilers (not really but just to be safe):
As always I think that the ending is never that impressive, just some phrases are said after the last boss fight and it ends, but the journey is always good.

Dresden

Bought Siegfried's armor at Ginza because it was on sale. Need a helm that would look okay-ish with that thing.

Repel Physical on the MC is reaaaaaaaly nice, though.

Busaiku

Kinda stuck, Late-game spoiler:

I'm on the Walter path, I have the choice between pressing the remote's button or not. I said "no" as I want to try and get back to neutral. But that just makes me quit the room. Am I forced to press the button to continue progress?

Yes you are.

So I am fighting
Tenkai
, and he asks me regarding the
Ashuru-kai, "Will you reform it and cause chaos? Or will you sustain it, thereby preserving order?"

Does my answer have any affect on what stat bonuses I gain during the fight or does it just affect alignment (my current alignment is neutral)?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So I am fighting
Tenkai
, and he asks me regarding the
Ashuru-kai, "Will you reform it and cause chaos? Or will you sustain it, thereby preserving order?"

Does my answer have any affect on what stat bonuses I gain during the fight or does it just affect alignment (my current alignment is neutral)?

I believe it does both. If your answer matches your alignment I think in that case it gives you bonuses. (I could be wrong, though.)

ohlawd

Finished the game with Walter as my husbando. Took longer than I thought :/

I actually wanted to finish most of the sidequests but I couldn't since I had no idea where the places were. "Meet me at Toyosu?" Where the fuck is that?

Eh no skin off my back. I got a free week now until Pikmin 3 + Tales of Xillia hell. Maybe I can start DDS 1 now.

Finished the game with Walter as my husbando. Took longer than I thought :/

I actually wanted to finish most of the sidequests but I couldn't since I had no idea where the places were. "Meet me at Toyosu?" Where the fuck is that?

Yeah, this game is terrible with directions, and that combined with the awful world map makes navigation a pain. I've given up on side quests because I'm tired of dealing with it.

ohlawd

Yeah, this game is terrible with directions, and that combined with the awful world map make navigation a pain. I've given up on side quests because I'm tired of dealing with it.
"but ohlawd, u was supposed to exploar and shit"

Naw, ain't got no time for dat. There's like 1000 different places with similar sounding names. I suppose I could have laid out a map by hand but I'm saving that EO itch for Millenium Girl.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You two suck at exploring. And reading directions.

If it says that a temple is north of Tokyo station, well, where you should go is probably to a temple north of Tokyo station.

I've found the directions fairly straightforward; they pretty much always reference some major area where there's a Terminal. Plus by this time I have a good feel for the layout of Tokyo.

I mean, if you really need extra assistance you can look up a real map of Tokyo.

Anyone know where the Silver Coin is so I can acquire the Black Card for Ginza? Not sure where it is.

The other room in the area where you got the Gold Card. You need 100,000 macca to get it.

If the world map wasn't such an ugly mess with poor visual tells as to what was navigable, exploration might have more appeal. I haven't really had much trouble finding things, it's just a pain.

Watashiwa

Yeah, this game is terrible with directions, and that combined with the awful world map make navigation a pain. I've given up on side quests because I'm tired of dealing with it.

No, the game is made for a Japanese public that memorized the map of Tokyo's wards while Americans were learning the 50 states. The Tokyo map is actually perfectly good... if you know your way around Tokyo like the game's primary audience is expected to.

Specific locations are treated the same way, they're at or near all famous real world locations that the average Japanese person would be expected to know.

ohlawd

You two suck at exploring. And reading directions.

If it says that a temple is north of Tokyo station, well, where you should go is probably to a temple north of Tokyo station.
bruh I don't even know where that is.

One of the sidequests had "go blah from Shibuya Station" I'm like "where the hell is that? I know where Shibuya is but not the station. Ahh fuck it I'll go blah from Shibuya and hopefully I'll get there." So I do just that and after checking out the first checkpoint and finding out it's some random temple I go back to the story.

Then I got to thinking, "hey maybe Shibuya = Shibuya Station!" It's needless back and forth with me and I never end up doing it.

And reading directions has nothing to do with it :3

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If the world map wasn't such an ugly mess with poor visual tells as to what was navigable, exploration might have more appeal. I haven't really had much trouble finding things, it's just a pain.

Aren't you, by chance, one of the people who didn't realize you can turn the camera around?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I struggled with it and I lived in Tokyo for awhile. I'm familiar with a lot of these areas. It's still really confusing with everything broken and all these blocked paths. I can only imagine what it would be like for someone who is unfamiliar with the city.

Aren't you, by chance, one of the people who didn't realize you can turn the camera around?

That actually made things worse for me!

Also, I'm bad at directions in general. Not just in the game world.

bruh I don't even know where that is.

You had to go through Tokyo Station as part of the story.

In all fairness, turning the camera on the world map doesn't help any with navigation. In fact, it makes it worse since it's harder to keep track of compass directions if the map isn't aligned such that north = up.

No, the game is made for a Japanese public that memorized the map of Tokyo's wards while Americans were learning the 50 states. The Tokyo map is actually perfectly good... if you know your way around Tokyo like the game's primary audience is expected to.

Specific locations are treated the same way, they're at or near all famous real world locations that the average Japanese person would be expected to know.

When I noticed that I was supposed to know where things were, I just started googling when the directions were too simple. Even found kind of a guide in GameFAQs about locations.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Is the OST already on YouTube? I went to look the other day, but the videos that appeared had pictures of the last boss so I bailed the fuck out.

ohlawd

You had to go through Tokyo Station as part of the story.
yeah I know it's near Kasumigaseki's terminal, a little bit northeast.

I could tell you right now I only remember the names of cities that had terminals. Anyways I never had much problems figuring out where to go on the story cuz they always mention a major city to start from. Even if I did get lost, it was only for a little while since the next destination is practically next door (eg Hills Building -> Midtown)

My gripe was some sidequests mentioning some little city that I can't remember if I even went there before.

Busaiku

DARN IT
I CHOSE NEW LIFE RESTART AND THOUGHT I DID REINCARNATION

Alright, that might be it for me on this game.
New Game+ being mandatory is so stupid.

apparently I need 100,000 macca for this silver coin............well damn

it turns out hoarding all those stones has paid off in full
KuGsj.gif

Well boo, seems I've gotten locked into Law.

How does NG+ work in this game anyways? Will it make rushing through the game to get the other endings easier/faster or do I start from scratch with only the compendium carrying over?

Busaiku

How does NG+ work in this game anyways? Will it make rushing through the game to get the other endings easier/faster or do I start from scratch with only the compendium carrying over?

You can do Reincarnation Restart and keep your equipment, money, and items.
If you accidentally chose a different option, you have no hope, and have to go through the stupidity of getting your expensive items again, with no way out of it.

I hate this game now.

ohlawd

You can do Reincarnation Restart and keep your equipment, money, and items.
If you accidentally chose a different option, you have no hope, and have to go through the stupidity of getting your expensive items again, with no way out of it.

I hate this game now.
You didn't keep a save file before the final boss or epilogue? :/

I still have my first file and the second file is my NG+.

About 10 hours in. This is my first real shot at a SMT and I'm bad at RPGs because I never cared about buffing. The learning curve was rough but shorty after
Minataur
it started to click and the real fun began. I died to
Medusa
once, and this time I had a game plan on how to win that fight and killed her second try after making a Force army. Once I got to
Tokyo
and found a terminal I warped back to the main town and finished up all the quests.

I almost gave up at the
Minataur
, but it was rewarding to watch him going down finally, without changing to an easier difficulty. So if you feel like you want to enjoy this game but are scared because you're wiping all the time, keep trying, there is a fun game in here and the punishment will make you better for it. You'll eventually get used to fusing demons, navigating comfortably and swapping out demons during battle and have a lot of fun doing it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Any hints on
eliminating the Corpses in Shinjuku main quest? I have a rough time with them AND the random Demons like that snake monster that's all fuzzy kick my ass

Top Bottom