• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Xenoflare

No neutral guide out yet? Aside from obvious alignment choices, what seems to affect you?

There is a suicidal woman in Ikebukuro, do not talk to her, shes in a room by herself BTW. If you talk to her, your alignment will +10

In addition, do the challenge quests, because you are actually REQUIRED to do most of it in the neutral route

PusherT

So are the special fusion monsters in the Cathedral of Shadows stronger then the old fashion 2 fused monsters?? That Fortuna Megami goddess doesn't look to impressive.

Aeana

There is a suicidal woman in Ikebukuro, do not talk to her, shes in a room by herself BTW. If you talk to her, your alignment will +10
It's +10 or -10 depending on which option you choose. It can be useful in pushing yourself one way or the other if you need to.

Young Magus

Woo! Got on Neutral this time. Finally, THE ENDING I DESERVE.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Yeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quick Question:
After the white area, what do I do now? Finish up the sidequest till the story opens up or what?

Post-Alignment Lock Boss Spoilers:
I really liked the post-alignment fights with the white,ESPECIALLY the last one as is basically serves as a reminder that this is the path your chosen and they criticize you for it. The last boss taking the form of Issachar really hits home as it switch to his voice after you defeat him. The questions that you are asked were powerful and answering them in a manner that spites the white give a powerful feeling. Also liked the input from Burroughs in the fight.

About 10 hours in. This is my first real shot at a SMT and I'm bad at RPGs because I never cared about buffing. The learning curve was rough but shorty after
Minataur
it started to click and the real fun began. I died to
Medusa
once, and this time I had a game plan on how to win that fight and killed her second try after making a Force army. Once I got to
Tokyo
and found a terminal I warped back to the main town and finished up all the quests.

I almost gave up at the
Minataur
, but it was rewarding to watch him going down finally, without changing to an easier difficulty. P So if you feel like you want to enjoy this game but are scared because you're wiping all the time, keep trying, there is a fun game in here and the punishment will make you better for it.

QFT!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
In addition, do the challenge quests, because you are actually REQUIRED to do most of it in the neutral route
Hm I was just hoping to breeze through a second playthrough on neutral with no side quests since I'm doing as many as I can the first playthrough. Don't know if I have the willpower to do it again :/

Does anybody know what Divine is needed to fuse Frost Ace, as well as where to recruit/what to fuse into it?

Any hints on
eliminating the Corpses in Shinjuku main quest? I have a rough time with them AND the random Demons like that snake monster that's all fuzzy kick my ass

Fire spells. All the fire spells.

Huh. Well I did part 1 of that. The second part though, is surprising. Neutral really is the most complete by default then eh. Well I'm way into law then. No going back now. Next time I'll get neutral!

Bogeypop

Anyone know where the Suidobashi Tokyo Dome is? Need it for Hunter Tournament Finals.

EDIT: Nvm, found it. Just had to go north of the place where the preliminaries were >_>

If you don't remember what you used to fuse a demon, you can just cycle through its status until you find a page that tells you what combination(s) you've used. If didn't fuse to get it, no combinations will be listed.

Gattuso

You'll have to go through Tokyo Station. Take Kasumigaseki's terminal, go on the world map and go northeast for a bit to get to TS.

Thanks, I'm feeling really mad since I went there and just turned around before I actually reached the station.

Hylian7

On the directions thing:
Where is that club I'm supposed to meet Tayama at? I've searched Shibuya top and bottom and have yet to find it. The closest thing I found was a fenced off area southwest of 108/109/104 that I have no idea how to get around. There is no hole to crawl through like there was in the Shibuya entrance area.

ohlawd

On the directions thing:
Where is that club I'm supposed to meet Tayama at? I've searched Shibuya top and bottom and have yet to find it. The closest thing I found was a fenced off area southwest of 108/109/104 that I have no idea how to get around. There is no hole to crawl through like there was in the Shibuya entrance area.
Take the staircase in Underground District C. Should be straightforward from there.

If the cynical man is saying people think I'm polite (which I think means law, and I'm at the part where
Lilith has ordered us to cause the reactors to open a rift,
is there any way for me to get on a neutral path?

Question:

Is there any easy way to leave Naraku and get back to where you were without having to backtrack?

i just beat the hooded man the second time and I'm pretty beat. Going into the portal seems like a bad idea.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Question:

Is there any easy way to leave Naraku and get back to where you were without having to backtrack?

i just beat the hooded man the second time and I'm pretty beat. Going into the portal seems like a bad idea.

Not at that point in time, no.

Busaiku

Alright, I'm a lot less salty after finding out that there's a demon you can only get if you have max Luck.
So what constitutes max?

I was able to get Ma to like 309 before I accidentally reset.

Xenoflare

If the cynical man is saying people think I'm polite (which I think means law, and I'm at the part where
Lilith has ordered us to cause the reactors to open a rift,
is there any way for me to get on a neutral path?

You still have chance, there are a lot of choices left.
You sided with Walter and the cynical still give you the polite remark? Just curious

Aeana

Alright, I'm a lot less salty after finding out that there's a demon you can only get if you have max Luck.
So what constitutes max?

I was able to get Ma to like 309 before I accidentally reset.
Are you talking about
Red Rider
? In that case, it only has to be 100.

duckroll

Thanks to a tip from NichM and my attack-all gun loaded with bind status bullets, I've been having more fun exhorting money from demons. The game actually acknowledges that a demon is binded when you use fundraise on them, and they can't resist! I don't lose a turn at the end of it either. Perfect. Now in a single run through downtown Ginza, if I get in a few battles and I raid all the relics in one swoop, I can make about 30k macca from the relics, and 6-10k from the encounters. Pretty sweet!

I went back to Mikado to check for new quests, and I got a quest from some dude in the forest, the reward if 5 summon stones. So I sold all the ones I had to make even more money. Regarding that quest line which opens up though...
does anyone know if taking the quests in the first place affects alignment? Is there an impact if I deliver the bazookas for example? The next quest is clearly an alignment choice since there are two ways to complete it, but I was wondering if the first two (meeting the guy in the first place, and delivering the bazookas next) have any impact.

Bogeypop

End Game Side-quest Spoilers: Man, fuck
Beelzebub
. It was basically a war of attrition with
his Pandemic Bomb + Death's Door + Megidoloan combo
until I decided to stop half-assing and be serious. Busted out my demon with Salvation, brought a party of Repel Physical, and after Doping plus a series of Antichthon + Luster Candy he could barely touch me even with
three Megidoloans in a row.

Xenoflare

End Game Side-quest Spoilers: Man, fuck
Beelzebub
. It was basically a war of attrition with
his Pandemic Bomb + Megidoloan combo
until I decided to stop half-assing and be serious. Busted out my demon with Salvation, brought a party of Repel Physical, and after Doping plus a series of Antichthon + Luster Candy he could barely touch me even with
three Megidoloans in a row.

It seems like beating him isn't required, people have finished the neutral route w/o beating him

Bogeypop

It seems like beating him isn't required, people have finished the neutral route w/o beating him

I'm actually on the Law route, I was just finishing up all my available Challenge Quests before finishing the game. It's a shame most of the lvl 80+ demons are Special Fusions of Special Fusions otherwise I would have spent time fusing them before finishing, but I find it to be tedious work.

Bogeypop

Neutral route end game spoilers: Ffff was just reading about
those stat doors
, and how you could
theoretically farm incense from Red Rider
, would have loved to do that. Oh well there's always New Game+

Wooooooo, my imported copy just shipped, and way earlier than I expected too!

I'm going to jump in tonight, but before I do I have a question I would appreciate some help with:

I never played a SMT game before, but I am aware there are some themes of law vs chaos, and that you are able to make choices that affect the story. I'm fine with just picking what I think is right and seeing where the story leads me, but I'd like to know in advance if there is a particular ending that's just plain unsatisfying or bad. Can someone, without spoilers, tell me if there is any ending I would want to avoid?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm spoilering these just in case people want to be surprised by the demons you encounter in quests.

Is there a list of the quests given by Demon's? I get them at random intervals and during the beginning part of being in Tokyo I got a quest to help out
Isis
. I also got a quest from a Chagrin in Naraku at the beginning to take out
Wu Kong

Someone was asking about the relative power of Almighty attacks before especially Holy Wrath /Judgement / Sea of Chaos (there's a mechanics thread at Gamefaqs) the power order is

Megido = Holy Wrath (on Law/Neutral) / Judgement (on Law/Chaos) / Sea of Chaos (on Neutral/Chaos)
Megidola = Holy Wrath (on Chaos) / Judgement (on Neutral) / Sea of Chaos (on Law) = Babylon Goblet (also causes Confusion)
Megidoplasma
Megidoloan
Great Logo
Antichton (also Debiliates)

(There's also a bunch of DLC only almighty magic skills that aren't out yet that pretty much fall between Megidoloan and Antichton apart from the one that always counts as hitting a weakness and ends up being a little weaker than Medigoplasma but causes a shining press turn)

ETA - Actually with high Magic Holy Wrath / Judgement / Sea of Chaos can be the most powerful almighty magic attacks in the game (when used on the correct enemies) on average since it also multiplies the damage from Mag. To a lesser extent same with the forced weakness one.

The 1-8 hit ones have the highest potential damage of their element but their average damage is pretty similar to the other high end elemental spells.

I'm spoilering these just in case people want to be surprised by the demons you encounter in quests.

Is there a list of the quests given by Demon's? I get them at random intervals and during the beginning part of being in Tokyo I got a quest to help out
Isis
. I also got a quest from a Chagrin in Naraku at the beginning to take out
Wu Kong

There's a list here: http://www34.atwiki.jp/megaten4/pages/297.html If you google translate it (or use Chrome) (2 weeks / laps limited means NG+ only). You'll need to scroll down to find the Demon Conversation ones. It does miss the one in Naraku so it might not be complete but its the best I've found)

There's also a fairly comprehensive list here: http://gamers-high.com/megami4/chart/challenge-quest.html , same story with regard to translation though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There's a list here: http://www34.atwiki.jp/megaten4/pages/297.html If you google translate it (or use Chrome) (2 weeks / laps limited means NG+ only). You'll need to scroll down to find the Demon Conversation ones. It does miss the one in Naraku so it might not be complete but its the best I've found)

There's also a fairly comprehensive list here: http://gamers-high.com/megami4/chart/challenge-quest.html , same story with regard to translation though.

Cool thanks!

Did anyone else get the
Wu Kong
quest besides me? It wasn't mentioned in the guide either. He was able to be taken out before the fight with Minotaur.

Cool thanks!

Did anyone else get the
Wu Kong
quest besides me? It wasn't mentioned in the guide either. He was able to be taken out before the fight with Minotaur.

Yeah, I got it. That's the missing one I was referring to. It's in the guide but only mentioned in the list of all quests in the areas it covered at the back (page 132).

GeekyDad

Wooooooo, my imported copy just shipped, and way earlier than I expected too!

I'm going to jump in tonight, but before I do I have a question I would appreciate some help with:

I never played a SMT game before, but I am aware there are some themes of law vs chaos, and that you are able to make choices that affect the story. I'm fine with just picking what I think is right and seeing where the story leads me, but I'd like to know in advance if there is a particular ending that's just plain unsatisfying or bad. Can someone, without spoilers, tell me if there is any ending I would want to avoid?

Well, first, congrats on getting a copy. I assume you're somewhere in Europe playing on an American 3DS? I know the wait has got to be excruciating for folks.

There is a "bad" ending, but I wouldn't say it was unsatisfying. It just cuts the game way short. You'll know if you get it, and it really doesn't have anything to do with alignment. It's a choice you make at a specific juncture in the game.

But yeah, I would play the game just as you have said, making each choice according to what you feel is right at the time based on the options they afford you.

I am now locked to neutral. I was not crazy about the sequence that followed
(the White and their monochrome forest seemed uninspired and conceptually under-developed to me)
, but I'll have more to say about that when the game is over. I am pretty excited to figure out what I need to do next, although it could be a couple of days before I get substantial playtime again.

I think I lost the will to play this game because of the fucked up neutral guide listing options wrong. And I only made 5 choices, but that is enough to fuck up an entire guide that assumes you will make each choice the same as it since the beginning of the game.

I could maybe speed through it and just do chaos route but "speeding through" in the maze that is the world map is still going to take awhile.

Of course not. There are lots of different ways to get neutral. I didn't follow any guide.

But it is difficult, extremely so. Because even if you know your alignment before the final boss, if you don't have an exact point value you get fucked out of neutral by a forced -10/+10 choice. And IIRC you have to choose the -10 choice.

coopolon

I think I lost the will to play this game because of the fucked up neutral guide listing options wrong. And I only made 5 choices, but that is enough to fuck up an entire guide that assumes you will make each choice the same as it since the beginning of the game.

I could maybe speed through it and just do chaos route but "speeding through" in the maze that is the world map is still going to take awhile.

I don't understand. Why is the game only fun if you can get the neutral ending? Is it like a lot longer on that path or something? I've never finished a real smt game so I don't know the differences. I always assumed the three paths are pretty much the same game except for slightly different end dungeons/bosses/endings.

Top Bottom