• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Fuck you (late quest spoiler. maybe neutral route only?)
Beelzebub

I need to get some new demons. Mine just aren't cutting it for this guy.

Kyzon

Running around Tokyo aimlessly for hours had it's benefits. I completely wrecked swamp thing in the pond.

Also,
Formation B Everybody!
lol

QaaQer

I really wish this game had a better map so I wouldn't have to rely on my memory so much to figure out where I need to go.

I know what you mean. That + terribad camera + 3ds controls + random monsters every three steps really sapped my enthusiasm. I had to stop after about 20 hours.

And I was really enjoying the story too, oh well...really hoping P5 isn't a 3ds exclusive.

GulAtiCa

I'm really enjoying the game so far. About 12 hours in and just got to
Toyko
. Really enjoying the story as the game goes on, esp as it unfolds deeper and deeper to come from being a simple to very complex.

Later game spoiler question

Where exactly do I head to reach Camp Ichigaya and the Yamato reactor? Also I sided with Walter but I'm still neutral, I'm guessing there's more until I lock my neutral ending?

Teknoman

I know what you mean. That + terribad camera + 3ds controls + random monsters every three steps really sapped my enthusiasm. I had to stop after about 20 hours.

And I was really enjoying the story too, oh well...really hoping P5 isn't a 3ds exclusive.

Talking about the world map or dungeon/city areas?

ohlawd

Talking about the world map or dungeon/city areas?
Probably the world map.

*waits 10 seconds for enemy to disappear*
"Great! Time to get moving"
*enemy spawns on the same spot and right on top of me*
"FUCK"

No complaints about the dungeon/city battles. Kill one and you have a grace period.

Velcro Fly

Just started the game tonight and finished the tutorial missions. I loved the sense of tension that around every corner could be your death.

Having a really hard time getting the jump on enemies though. It's like you have to swing a lot sooner than you think you do. Lead to some frustrating outcomes of demons getting one shot on enemy first strikes.

QaaQer

Probably the world map.

*waits 10 seconds for enemy to disappear*
"Great! Time to get moving"
*enemy spawns on the same spot and right on top of me*
"FUCK"

No complaints about the dungeon/city battles. Kill one and you have a grace period.

I found jank in both world map traversal and dungeon crawling. Maybe if I was better at working the 3ds' circle pad and bumpers to weave my way around the insistent spawnees while trying to get my bearings I would have enjoyed it more.

I guess I just like the more predictable enemies and relaxed exploration jrpg type games like Etrian Odyssey and P4G, although dual sticks really helped with P4.

Young Magus

So I'm doing a few challenging quest for the neutral ending and for a few of them, I keep getting a message that I might be underleveled for them. Is there a good place to catch up on some levels?

Kinda shocking from a guy who played it before all of us :p

RIGHT?

And at the same time, I love the I actually missed something so cool. It'll make my law and chaos runs that much more entertaining.

Man, this game. Even months later it's still surprising me.

I started whittling down the remaining challenge quests. I'm honestly relieved that there is still plenty for me to do. I was not ready for the game to be over.

I think I got an extra bit of dialogue with a boss because I'd waited until after certain game events to do the quest.

Tirod

Later game spoiler question

Where exactly do I head to reach Camp Ichigaya and the Yamato reactor? Also I sided with Walter but I'm still neutral, I'm guessing there's more until I lock my neutral ending?

Take the road north of Shibuya, you''ll run into an event (you'll know what I'm talking about when it happens). After said event, you can enter a tunnel, which deposits you near the Camp.

Kincaido

Just spent an hour demon fusing and beat (late game boss)
Beelzebub
first try lol

Also, holy crap at the sword you get after o_o

Velcro Fly

So is the white samurai armor worth coughing up the life stones? I guess I could probably grind up 30 of them easily enough to get the whole thing.

Also the whole app thing seems daunting. I don't want to completely waste points and make the game harder on myself. I got another skill slot for the MC and I figured since the compendium is expensive I'll be recruiting a ton and got the scout thing that gives me items. Think I'm going to see about getting my demons a 5th skill slot too pretty soon.

Recruit and fuse whenever it's practical. Unlike other mon games, most of the demons are likely to hit a wall in their usefullness, at which point you're expected to fuse them into new, stronger forms. Most of the time this happens after 3 levels or so, though a demon's resistances and abilities may still make them useful in certain situations.

The fusion screen does show you all possible combinations, even if they're currently outside your level range, so if you happen to see a powerful fusion only a level or two away, it may be worth it to hold off.

Now, complicating this a little bit is that some of the demons can actually evolve into stronger forms, and unlike fused demons, this will happen even if they end up at a higher level than you. Angel, for instance, can become an Archangel at level 12. That said, most of these evolved forms can also be fused, so they're not evolution exclusive.

Yeah. The general rule in SMT is that unless a demon has really good resistances, highly unusual stats or special abiltiies that can't be passed on , you should fuse them as soon they learn their last skill.

randomkid

Okay, can't keep this bottled up any more, gotta blurt out some completely random SMT4 thoughts now that I am finally in Tokyo

-Can the Challenge Quest dungeon music please play forever and ever, thanks
-This game is so Trauma-ish in the first eight hours it's ridiculous, not just obvious things like goofy voices (finally turned off sadly) and faces but some music and cutscenes and dialogue, it's weird
-Best music implementation in any Megaten since SMT3, from songs picking up where they left off to MULTIPLE BOSS AND BATTLE TRACKS, SO GOOD
-Another gatekeeper M____R boss which I adored: intro, placement, design (awesome non-Kaneko!), music, everything was perfect, so memorable and skillfully handled
-FUUUUUUSION, I am still reeling at how amazing everything is now
-Press Turn, I didn't realize how much I missed you
-The SMT1 and SMT2 touches through out are wonderful, all the musical flourishes! And even shops that recall SMT If...

I am so so happy things have picked up, I know exactly why the designers started things the way they did, they needed to lead me from kinda lame medieval drudgery to get to the Tokyo moment, and boy did it work. I am effing hooked.

Tirod

So is the white samurai armor worth coughing up the life stones? I guess I could probably grind up 30 of them easily enough to get the whole thing.

First of all, yes the White Samurai set is definitely worth it and will last you a good chunk of playtime.

There's no need to grind for the Life Stones, they drop like candy and you'll frequently hit the item cap for it.

As for apps, as long as you don't neglect the skill slot expansions for yourself and your demons, as well as some extra demon stock slots, you are fine. Stuff like fundraiser isn't necessary, nor is the Fusion EXP perk.

The only thing I would highly recommend AFTER getting all your skill slots is the MP Recovery chain of apps, it is super useful. The upgrades to Scout are nice as well and I would recommend them, but those other things are more important for progression I think.

vall03

Desperate Hit is so good. Drains gun attacks? Eat almighty damage.

If we can only pass Desperate Hit through normal fusion... My problem with Demonee-ho is his shit resistances, but still, hes been my main damage dealer demon here just like in Strange Journey.

I don't think anyone answered to this when I asked:

Have you guys who finished the game tried the hard difficulty? How is it?

Since I'm still leveling my Luck up on my first save file, I'll go ahead and start a New Life file on Expert for a bit tomorrow and get some feedback for you.

Also the whole app thing seems daunting. I don't want to completely waste points and make the game harder on myself. I got another skill slot for the MC and I figured since the compendium is expensive I'll be recruiting a ton and got the scout thing that gives me items. Think I'm going to see about getting my demons a 5th skill slot too pretty soon.

The helmet is good for a mage build. The rest of it is pretty decent, I've pretty much only used it, the Amazon armor or the Freedom armor up until Ueno. If you're still early in the game then it's worth doing, getting lifestones is pretty easy (and since you've got Scout Gift it'll be even easier for you).

If we can only pass Desperate Hit through normal fusion... My problem with Demonee-ho is his shit resistances, but still, hes been my main damage dealer demon here just like in Strange Journey.

From what I've heard those skills can be passed on via Fusion Lite , which is a little bit of help.

Is there a full guide for the game online? I'm past the guide it comes with and trying to find Tokyo Station. It's right after Tayama sends you to kill someone.

hawk2025

I'm at a part in the main quest where... Basically I'm being swindled out of all my money, and the next obvious place to go is asking me to pay 50,000 Macca to proceed. Is this... Necessary? i can't seem to find a way to avoid it.

So, I am at the whole
Jonathan and Walter choice. I have figured out going to Lilith with Walter would put me into chaos while siding with Jonathan still keeps me at neutral.

How far in the game am I? I know there are at least a few more choices to alter my alignment that are left, but I want to make sure I still have enough breathing room to change my alignment (I have decided that I am definitely not going through the Law route.

So, I am at the whole
Jonathan and Walter choice. I have figured out going to Lilith with Walter would put me into chaos while siding with Jonathan still keeps me at neutral.

How far in the game am I? I know there are at least a few more choices to alter my alignment that are left, but I want to make sure I still have enough breathing room to change my alignment (I have decided that I am definitely not going through the Law route.

You've got a decent way to go before the final choice yet.

Going into Chaos and getting back to neutral is pretty easy as long as you don't go deep in. The spot to avoid is being on the chaotic end of neutral , or being a little too strongly into Law (being on the Law side of Neutral is safe).

I'm at a part in the main quest where... Basically I'm being swindled out of all my money, and the next obvious place to go is asking me to pay 50,000 Macca to proceed. Is this... Necessary? i can't seem to find a way to avoid it.

Ginza? That's not necessary, but it does have a nice
uber-expensive
reward.

Kincaido

Neutral route question
I went to Shibuya, Ueno, and Shinjuku to fill up the Chalice but don't know where the last part is. Anybody know? Tried Ginza but no dice.

Kincaido

Whelp. Pandemic bomb spam plus death's door is killer. I'm around level 66, some of my demons are a bit higher. Is that a problem?

I'd say so lol. I really recommend having Debilate and Salvation usable. They saved me in that fight. I know that Mahamayuri has it at level 69.

Hylian7

This game has made me wonder something: Why does Atlus change the names of demons across the franchise? A big example that comes to mind is Orcus/Horkos. Up until Strange Journey, that fat yellow king lizard pig thing was always "Orcus". In Strange Journey "Orcus" was a boss, but called Horkos. I thought maybe that change was made only for SJ, since they wanted to give him a more bossly sounding name. But then here we are in SMT4 and that demon is a regular demon called "Horkos". I have yet to finish Soul Hackers, and haven't seen this demon in it yet. SH is an old game, but the 3DS release of it was the first official English translation.

Top Bottom