• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

NeonZ

I think it's interesting how some plot points can only be seen by talking with npcs, rather than being thrown into cutscenes, and it gives a reason to go around Mikado once in a while, but I've just gotten to the point where Mikado's king
is deposed and the angels take control, and I think some parts of this story really should have been part of the main plotline.

The Luxuror caste is no more, and everyone is equal - which is what Water has been wanting this whole time, and yet he doesn't react to it at all. Meanwhile, there are many small changes going on in the kingdom - they're apparently going to abandon the "mystic script" and the church's people are digitalizing their old books. Jonathan, similarly, in the story scenes, still talks about preserving the "kingdom that they know", even though the angels are obviously changing longstanding traditions if you go by the information given by the npcs.

It'd have been interesting if they had used that to completely change Jonathan's and Walter's positions around. Either way, in spite of that problem, I'm enjoying the story.

I know Shin Megami Tensei is a Japanese video game and will usually center around Japan except for the special case of Strange Journey (and even that wasn't given a number), but I've seen some silly stuff like in the Devil Survivor 2 anime (Maybe the game is different) where they basically acted like the rest of the world didn't even exist.

Well,
it basically didn't exist. Yamato/JPs set up those defenses to protect Tokyo, so it wasn't consumed while most of the rest of the world was devoured.

In the game, one of the endings involves defeating the Septentrione without recreating the world, and in that one you're just left with a small island surrounded by endless sea.

Anyway, SMT does focus too much on Tokyo, but it comes due to the whole very regional take that the game has. It always represents specific districts of Tokyo, and does so very consistently. If they were to expand the scope, they'd have to heavily diminish that aspect and that doesn't seem to be something they want to do.

I'm only to the part where you know the ceiling above Tokyo has been there for 25 years. Of course a ceiling would block out light above it, but is it feasible that no light would be coming from the sides? Do they ever explain how big the ceiling is?

It's not just a ceiling, it's a barrier all around
Tokyo, closing it from the outside world.
The people there can't leave.

NeonZ

The fusion conditions for X have been met. X can now be fused

*Can't find X demon in Cathedral catalogue*

:(

That's the first place I check, no dice.

Quite a few demons that you unlock early on are too high level to actually be fused right after you unlock them for fusion. There are also the special fusions, but that's not the only explanation for some missing ones.

For example, Minotaur and Medusa's levels are in the 30s, David is in the 20s, Long is in the 40s. They only will appear in the list when you're closer to them.

BlackJace

Quite a few demons that you unlock early on are too high level to actually be fused right after you unlock them for fusion. There are also the special fusions, but that's not the only explanation for some missing ones.

For example, Minotaur and Medusa's levels are in the 30s, David is in the 20s, Long is in the 40s.

Ooooh, I see, thank you.

Fuck, any tips on
Minotaur Dude
in Level 5 Naraku? I've got 3 Bufu dudes, and get him down to the third conversation, but I'm pretty much gone at that point.

CSX

Red Rider
has the most evil AI i have experienced so far. This guy shits on any endgame boss. He is the new motherfucking Matador who thankfully is optional.

The shit this guy does...

- He gets 5 moves per turn and ALWAYS ATTACKS FIRST

- First turn Debuffs you with war cry and starts doing Antichilorin or however that's spelled. Thats the ultimate almighty spell with a built in debiliate.

- If you survive the first turn, he starts experimenting with your party with physical attacks and fire spells mixed with Antichilorin

- If he finds someone that nulls phy/fire , he will NEVER do that move again against them unless he decides to do mariagidyne.

- What does he do if he decides phy or fire attacks aint worth doing? Does Antichilorin 4 times in one turn and kills party

- Good chance of getting crits What happens everytime he crits and smirks? That almighty spell for 600-700 damage.

My fukking tears gaf. my fukking tearrrsssss

The tree demon, I believe, you need to fuse. As far as I know, Tree demons are among the types that aren't encountered on the map. The level 30 demon, meanwhile... I want to say you encounter him in the area just before
the tower where the three VIPs were held
, but don't quote me on that. Alternatively, according to some guides you can evolve him from
a level 26 Ubu.

As Ealugaufein has pointed out, the final choices are a forced +5 and an option of either +10 or -10. Combine them, and you can effectively choose either +15 or -5. That means that if you are anywhere from +13 to -23, you can effectively choose neutral EXCEPT if you go into the set -4 to -6, because then +5 followed by +10/-10 is going to take you outside the +8 to -8 range.

You're right. It's just a matter of whether you count before or after you take the forced +5.

Ah so I will try for neutral this time by being a bit more chaotic with my actions. And then this time I will save before the final decision. I had no idea it would happen last time. :(

Also what is this hunter tournament people keep bringing up? I never saw that in my game ever. Did I just not talk to side characters often enough? I sorta ignored the bars later on because fuck side quests on this vague map.

Ah so I will try for neutral this time by being a bit more chaotic with my actions. And then this time I will save before the final decision. I had no idea it would happen last time. :(

Also what is this hunter tournament people keep bringing up? I never saw that in my game ever. Did I just not talk to side characters often enough? I sorta ignored the bars later on because fuck side quests on this vague map.

It's actually one of the earliest challenge quests to come up in Tokyo. I think you get it at the Ueno Hunter's Association. The prelim tournament happens at an arena right by the bridge (south and a bit east of Ueno), and the finals happen much later in the game.

Delio

K I REALLY cant find
Shinjuku in the Infernal Tokyo
I followed where they tell me to go but i swear i can find every other place but it. help?

CSX

Sorry guys I might just be stupid but
I can't find that club florida place in Shinjiku
Help please.

Take the east exit from the underground area. Then take the northeast exit. It will be in the northeast section of the area you just entered

PK Gaming

One of the save files (my brothers) was instantly deleted, and I don't know why.

The game straight up told me that one of the save files was deleted after a boss battle. What gives?

How do you find lost demons? I just lost one after a beating another strong demon and I have no idea what to do.

Also, going full strength sucks.

Edit: Game is hard.

K I REALLY cant find
Shinjuku in the Infernal Tokyo
I followed where they tell me to go but i swear i can find every other place but it. help?

Head northwest toward the poison. Wade into the poison, then head west and south out of the poison and onto the road. Shinjuku is right there.

The tree demon, I believe, you need to fuse. As far as I know, Tree demons are among the types that aren't encountered on the map. The level 30 demon, meanwhile... I want to say you encounter him in the area just before
the tower where the three VIPs were held
, but don't quote me on that. Alternatively, according to some guides you can evolve him from
a level 26 Ubu.

went there and didn't find the jirae demon.

I remember seeing it in a city place.

BlackJace

How do you find lost demons? I just lost one after a beating another strong demon and I have no idea what to do.

They come back. When you're encountered by an enemy, chances are your demon will be the one you ran into. It's cute because they'll ask where you were and some say they've missed you. They also bear gifts.

Okay what do u guys do with low level demons you don't need anymore? I'm currently level 62 and I have demons in level 20's. When I go to fuse them I end up with still low level demons. I want to make room for new demons, but fusing these losers is such a waste.

Caladrius

Lost demons are found as random encounters in the field.

Put your points into Dex, agility and luck. Strength mostly just affects the basic attack. Dex is for actual Phys skills and Gun attacks (which allow you to hit elemental weaknesses later on, and elem. bullets are going to be your only form of offense on enemies resistant/immune to phys or pierce. Thankfully there aren't many, but you should be prepared.). Luck increases your crit chance.

Dresden

Okay what do u guys do with low level demons you don't need anymore? I'm currently level 62 and I have demons in level 20's. When I go to fuse them I end up with still low level demons. I want to make room for new demons, but fusing these losers is such a waste.

Just delete them.

CSX

How long did it take him to appear? And where did you reload?

How long did it take? You do not want to know. In fact I'm going to spoil it to prevent heart attacks

Two fukking days during my free time

I reload in the world map outside kasumigeki

There's a difference there though

There really isn't.

Fuck, any tips on
Minotaur Dude
in Level 5 Naraku? I've got 3 Bufu dudes, and get him down to the third conversation, but I'm pretty much gone at that point.

If you get him that far you're almost there. Just make sure you pick the choices in each convo that buffs you, debuff his attack/defense early on if you can, and go all-out on offense once you hit the back stretch.

Aeana

There's a difference there though, the Alien Invasions start there, a city could be destroyed and would definitely set a bad precedence for future defense, but it isn't the only place on Earth.. The heroes are attacked where they live. In contrast to SMT where say humanity is tested in Tokyo. In SMT3
the whole world is destroyed except for Tokyo which becomes the Vortex world, a place where it will be decided how the next world is.
Devil Survivor 1
makes Humanities Ordeal happen in one stretch of Tokyo.
In most zombie films, or post-apocalyptic films (or other media), the United States is the only place mentioned. You sit there wondering what's going on in Europe or other places in the world, and they never bring that up ever. It's silly to act like this is something that's uncommon. Perhaps it's not always just one city in these things, but it certainly is one country.

Bogeypop

Red Rider
has the most evil AI i have experienced so far. This guy shits on any endgame boss. He is the new motherfucking Matador who thankfully is optional.

And he only has a what,
1/256 chance to spawn? So if your party gets wiped there goes your chance at getting those incense for a while.

CSX

And he only has a what,
1/256 chance to spawn? So if your party gets wiped there goes your chance at getting those incense for a while.

Nope cuz i found this out

If you die your first time, do NOT restart. Instead pay charon to revive you and then save. Voila! As long as you dont leave the area and save again, you can try fighting him over and over till you beat him!

Busaiku

In most zombie films, or post-apocalyptic films (or other media), the United States is the only place mentioned. You sit there wondering what's going on in Europe or other places in the world, and they never bring that up ever. It's silly to act like this is something that's uncommon. Perhaps it's not always just one city in these things, but it certainly is one country.

Most comics are just one city.

GeekyDad

Anyone help me with the last picture quest from Nozomi?
Did the old lady one, the dude who wanted me to scout Ikebukuro, and the chick who wanted a pic of the Luis store sign. Not sure where the other one triggers.

Anyone help me with the last picture quest from Nozomi?
Did the old lady one, the dude who wanted me to scout Ikebukuro, and the chick who wanted a pic of the Luis store sign. Not sure where the other one triggers.

In the first area of Shinjuku, there's a girl in one of the shutters. That's who you want to talk to.

Daingurse

Played for about 2 hours and . . .

_gif__dis_gun_b_gud__by_aartboy-d5cp797.gif

Ah, this will do just nicely indeed.

Bogeypop

Nope cuz i found this out

If you die your first time, do NOT restart. Instead pay charon to revive you and then save. Voila! As long as you dont leave the area and save again, you can try fighting him over and over till you beat him!

Neat, I'll have to remember to stay
at low monies
when I try to fight him on my NG+
Neutral run. (At least I THINK that's how Charon's cost is calculated)

There's a difference there though, the Alien Invasions start there, a city could be destroyed and would definitely set a bad precedence for future defense, but it isn't the only place on Earth.. The heroes are attacked where they live. In contrast to SMT where say humanity is tested in Tokyo. In SMT3
the whole world is destroyed except for Tokyo which becomes the Vortex world, a place where it will be decided how the next world is.
Devil Survivor 1
makes Humanities Ordeal happen in one stretch of Tokyo.

Actually, in the case if SMT3 and DeSu 1(as well as other games in the series),
the event was initiated by a person or group that just kinda happened to be situated in Tokyo. So, unless you're suggesting Hikawa or Naoya should have moved out of the country to start their plans for absolutely no reason, I don't see what your deal is.

CSX

is the low encounter of 1/256 for
Fiends
a reference to older SMTs?

I know the asking if you want to stay and fight two times is from SMTII but was the low encounter rate also a part of it?

Roubjon

May I ask what's so special about the special fusions? I'm assuming they are just better Demons overall? I managed to fuse Fortuna at level 11 although she wasn't anything special as far as I can see. There is that healing spell that she is going to learn eventually, so maybe that's what makes her worth it? Also, will you eventually be able to do fuse three or more demons? Or is that essentially the whole point of special fusions?

Regardless, this game rocks and fusing demons is addicting.

Ties

Banned
is the low encounter of 1/256 for
Fiends
a reference to older SMTs?

I know the asking if you want to stay and fight two times is from SMTII but was the low encounter rate also a part of it?
The encounter rate is taken directly from the original SMT. Their role in the game was very much the same as it is in SMT4, simply special encounters that the player may stumble upon to receive valued items.

BlackJace

The Devas quest is the cruelest form of padding. Freaking 90 minutes on that shit. That upbeat quest music is forever stuck in my head.

Top Bottom