• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Finally beat
Beelzebulb
at level 78.

Entire team dead, MC at 1hp, and sick. A final concentrated megidola pulled through. I had to spend all of my 300k money fusing the perfect demons
everyone except MC had null/repel pierce and 2 had immunity to sick. Casting luster candy and debilitate every round while MC did concentrate -> megidola. With triple luster candy, triple debilitate, my caster with salvation survived triple megidoalon with 2hp to bring everyone back/

taybul

Man, you guys weren't kidding with the thread title. Picked this up along with a brand spanking-new 3DS and I'm loving it so far. I'm only lvl 7 but encounters with lvl 1s still manage to one-shot members of my team. I find myself saving after every encounter; is this normal? I feel like every single time the enemy gets the jump on me half my team goes down in the first round.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Man, you guys weren't kidding with the thread title. Picked this up along with a brand spanking-new 3DS and I'm loving it so far. I'm only lvl 7 but encounters with lvl 1s still manage to one-shot members of my team. I find myself saving after every encounter; is this normal? I feel like every single time the enemy gets the jump on me half my team goes down in the first round.

It's normal, but the game gets easier when you start acquiring more demons / weapons / items.

squadr0n

Need help on
Minotar
early boss fight. What level should me and my party be. I'm like 7 hours in and everyone is lvl 8-10, accept Flynn who's lvl 13. I know what his weakness is but still get worked.

Kyzon

I can't find that demon center thingy. I've been wandering around
Tokyo
for hours, and I've had no luck.

Any help?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Need help on
Minotar
early boss fight. What level should me and my party be. I'm like 7 hours in and everyone is lvl 8-10, accept Flynn who's lvl 13. I know what his weakness is but still get worked.

Try to get more demons and fuse them so that they are close to the level of your MC. Have demons in your party with the bufu ability, and make them whisper that ability to you.

vall03

People are just discovering the
airship
now? Though I had the same reaction, the problem is that you can only access it very late in the game once you had your alignment locked. Add also that its a demon negotiation quest iirc so it can be easily missed. If we only had access to it earlier in the game, traveling around Tokyo would be easier.

Need help on
Minotar

You should be okay at that level, but you might want to fuse some higher leveled demons. With a party that all hits his weakness, the right buffs/debuffs on your attack/his defense, and answering the questions during the fight correctly, it's very winnable at that level.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Should I be taming new demons constantly, or level up the ones I have?

It's good to keep recruiting new demons when you enter new areas, so you can keep your team balanced and have more possibilities for fusions. The demons you got before will become obsolete at some point, even if you leveled them up.

GeekyDad

People are just discovering the
airship
now? Though I had the same reaction, the problem is that you can only access it very late in the game once you had your alignment locked. Add also that its a demon negotiation quest iirc so it can be easily missed. If we only had access to it earlier in the game, traveling around Tokyo would be easier.

I see that as a plus. Honestly, this game has some of the best pacing I've ever experienced in any RPG. They dole shit out at such a pitch-perfect pace. They don't overload you with anything in this game, yet they eventually give you EVERYTHING you could possibly want from an RPG (except 10+ save files :p).

Should I be taming new demons constantly, or level up the ones I have?

Recruit and fuse whenever it's practical. Unlike other mon games, most of the demons are likely to hit a wall in their usefullness, at which point you're expected to fuse them into new, stronger forms. Most of the time this happens after 3 levels or so, though a demon's resistances and abilities may still make them useful in certain situations.

The fusion screen does show you all possible combinations, even if they're currently outside your level range, so if you happen to see a powerful fusion only a level or two away, it may be worth it to hold off.

Now, complicating this a little bit is that some of the demons can actually evolve into stronger forms, and unlike fused demons, this will happen even if they end up at a higher level than you. Angel, for instance, can become an Archangel at level 12. That said, most of these evolved forms can also be fused, so they're not evolution exclusive.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I need a hand, I'm in
Tokyo
and I am supposed to get to some military base and I can't figure out how to get there in this overworld.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I need a hand, I'm in
Tokyo
and I am supposed to get to some military base and I can't figure out how to get there in this overworld.

Just as soon as you get to Tokyo, look for a bar that's pretty close to where you are. There, talk to the man on the right side and he'll give you a mission. Do that mission, and then you'll be able to keep progressing.

I need a hand, I'm in
Tokyo

South of Ueno there should be a horde of Kelpie that demand a demon's head. Up in Ueno, go to the bar and talk to the man on the far right. He'll ask you where you're from, so tell the truth and say you're from Mikado. At that point he'll mention the demon, and then you can go into the garden and find him in the small dock. Just walk in and you'll trigger his appearance.

Young Magus

So I'm doing the tournament quest and
MOTHAFUCKIN GINZA FROM SMT 1 PLAYS IN THE BACKGROUND!!!!!! AWWW YEAAHH!

Also, there's airships in this game?! GOTYAY!

Aeana

It is straight-up insane (and AWESOME) that they hid something so cool behind a demon negotiation quest. I know it will upset a lot of people, but I think it is so cool that there still exist games that can reward you with something that awesome through something totally off the beaten path.

On demon negotiation: am I imagining things, or is it not as completely random as it's initially made out to be? Some choices seem to work better consistently than others. The only thing that seems really random is whether or not they're going to run away after some gifts or if they'll stay, though the latter seems to happen more often after I started cheating and refusing them at least once or twice during a list of demands. Maybe they all really hate gullibility? Or could my 65+ luck have something to do with it?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
On demon negotiation: am I imagining things, or is it not as completely random as it's initially made out to be? Some choices seem to work better consistently than others. The only thing that seems really random is whether or not they're going to run away after some gifts or if they'll stay, though the latter seems to happen more often after I started cheating and refusing them at least once or twice during a list of demands. Maybe they all really hate gullibility? Or could my 65+ luck have something to do with it?

Is not completely random, as I mentioned before that you'll definitely start seeing some patterns that will make negotiating a piece of cake.

alice

I can't find that demon center thingy. I've been wandering around
Tokyo
for hours, and I've had no luck.

Any help?

You need to complete the quest where you
kill the demon that lives in the pond in Ueno. Then you can talk to the demon horde near the river edge and they will help you across as a thank you. Beyond that, it is a little hard to find, but I promise it is there - look in Kasumigaseki.

I had trouble too, finally resorted to using the map in the strategy book. The overworld map looks cool, but I don't find it very functional. Maybe if I already had a working knowledge of Tokyo geography.

Kyzon

You need to complete the quest where you
kill the demon that lives in the pond in Ueno. Then you can talk to the demon horde near the river edge and they will help you across as a thank you. Beyond that, it is a little hard to find, but I promise it is there - look in Kasumigaseki.

I had trouble too, finally resorted to using the map in the strategy book. The overworld map looks cool, but I don't find it very functional. Maybe if I already had a working knowledge of Tokyo geography.

Thanks. I just figured out I had to talk to the guy in the boss, and now I'm heading toward the pond now.

PK Gaming

It is straight-up insane (and AWESOME) that they hid something so cool behind a demon negotiation quest. I know it will upset a lot of people, but I think it is so cool that there still exist games that can reward you with something that awesome through something totally off the beaten path.

Are you talking about the same quest I mentioned? Or is there even more cool stuff in this game.

Hello gentlemen, I just bought a 3DS and I'm trying to figure out what game to buy.

Of course I came to the wrong thread to ask which game out of the ones I'm considering, but I mainly wanted to know if I can play Shin Megami 4 without playing the others. Is it an original story and original characters?

Lunar15

Hello gentlemen, I just bought a 3DS and I'm trying to figure out what game to buy.

Of course I came to the wrong thread to ask which game out of the ones I'm considering, but I mainly wanted to know if I can play Shin Megami 4 without playing the others. Is it an original story and original characters?

Yep, it's a brand new story with original characters. I'm sure that a lot of people in here are starting with IV.

Yeah. I'm always happy when I get some new quest just by talking to a demon. It's a really cool experience when you discover things by going around and talking or exploring, rather than the game just taking you there.

Yeah. It's a completely new story. You'll be fine to jump in here.

Yes, you can play this game without having to play the others. The most you'll miss out on are some call backs to the previous games and maybe an inside joke or two.

EDIT: If you want to catch up on the other games without having to play through them this has some LPs done about the games, including the ones not released in the US.

Finished the game for the first time! (Neutral path) I'll have to choose between
starting a NG+ from scratch with a gun build MC for the Law path or retain everything and blast through the game to beat the postgame bosses and clear everything. I really wanna do a fresh start Hard run at some point though.

I just got the game today, and I completed the samurai training missions. I really like it so far, even though it's a whole lot harder than the Persona games I've played. Is there anything I should remember about this game or any really important tips at this point?

Top Bottom