• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

jwhit28

It's refreshing to play a game where your party is almost as fragile as the common enemies you encounter.

Is there a soft reset though?

Dresden

I'd say so lol. I really recommend having Debilate and Salvation usable. They saved me in that fight. I know that Mahamayuri has it at level 69.

Doping is helpful, too, if your demons don't have high health. Doping + salvation carried that fight for me.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Doping is helpful, too, if your demons don't have high health. Doping + salvation carried that fight for me.

Ah, yeah it really does. Forgot I used that too. Really saved my Alice in that fight. She would've died if it wasn't for that.

Edit: In case anyone has the same question I did earlier.
Go to Ikebukuro. I didn't think to go there at first since it was pretty much abandoned.

vall03

I feel like I got really really lucky against
Beelzebub
since I had little to no problem with him at all. Didn't even have Salvation at that time nor do I even need to prepare for the fight. I guess him spamming Pandemic Bomb every turn helped me since my MC nulls Sick and that -2 Press Turns is a big lifesaver.

Delio

Finished the game just now at level 73. Went Chaos route after getting the bad ending and having to reset. Wonderful game from start to finish. I'm glad I got to experince it :) Here's to starting a neutral run after a break.

Final battle I had to reset once after it got lucky with it's instant kill move. Second time around it didnt even do it. The luck.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
My Alice gave up her Null Ice for Doping through the skill change. I will miss that extra Null but Doping is pretty damn good.

Delio

I never got to fuse Alice but I had Fenrir who went to endgame with me packing Fog breath. He was clutch in so many ways.

BlackJace

I've finished a sizable portion of relevant sidequests, yet my levels are hovering from 60-67.
I'm just going to go in with two demons that either repel or null gun (to counter the nasty Heaven's Bow), a healer, and I'm going to give my MC a null sick accessory or something.

I'll try again tomorrow.

This game has made me wonder something: Why does Atlus change the names of demons across the franchise? A big example that comes to mind is Orcus/Horkos. Up until Strange Journey, that fat yellow king lizard pig thing was always "Orcus". In Strange Journey "Orcus" was a boss, but called Horkos. I thought maybe that change was made only for SJ, since they wanted to give him a more bossly sounding name. But then here we are in SMT4 and that demon is a regular demon called "Horkos". I have yet to finish Soul Hackers, and haven't seen this demon in it yet. SH is an old game, but the 3DS release of it was the first official English translation.

The names are generally consistent give or tack occasional translation inconsistencies. Orcus is usually the big fat yellow king lizard (and like most Vile demons it is often a boss). The Horkus thing was sort of a pun in SJ (it only pays off fairly late in the game, can't say more without late game spoilers). Not sure why they carried it over to SMTIV.

Mid game spoilers discussion

I'm only to the part where you know the ceiling above Tokyo has been there for 25 years. Of course a ceiling would block out light above it, but is it feasible that no light would be coming from the sides? Do they ever explain how big the ceiling is?

I know Shin Megami Tensei is a Japanese video game and will usually center around Japan except for the special case of Strange Journey (and even that wasn't given a number), but I've seen some silly stuff like in the Devil Survivor 2 anime (Maybe the game is different) where they basically acted like the rest of the world didn't even exist. Even Devil Survivor 1 had a reason why the main characters were cut off from the world, but it doesn't make it any less silly that the judgement of mankind would happen in Tokyo. Believe me I enjoy playing in Apocalyptic Tokyo and I would like to see more games set in an Apocalyptic Tokyo or a Cyperpunk setting, but I guess I have a disconnection from the setting and the story being told.

Basically SMT has Tokyo is the center of the universe.

I feel like I'm going to be told "but that is SMT!" but it is still pretty strange, especially in the Devil Survivor 2 example where they literally had to protect landmark barriers only in Japan as though that was the only place in the World that needed protected and only the Japanese protected it.

I forget where in Tokyo but a random NPC mentioned how the US and I think China were pretty much in the same situation as Tokyo (demons I'm guessing). Sure, they're not the center of the game but they at least had a mention. Imagine SMT in a worldwide scope, that would be interesting.

PowderedToast

so is there any early consensus forming on where this falls in regards to the other mainline games quality-wise? still waiting for the EU release and the dlc practices + staff change had me a little worried

Forkball

I should say something important about the game.... but I really just want to post this.

f1QYZgw.jpg

Totakeke

WTF, I streetpassed my Abaddon away and it came back as a Pyro Jack? He was one of my best demons too. >_>

40 app points though, that's kind of game breaking.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I like the art of Flynn in Apocalyptic Tokyo getup that appears in the artbook section of the guide. I would have liked more art like that in the game. That art above is fantastic as well.

Late game boss help, infernal Tokyo:
any tips on beating Kenji? I got him pretty good with Agidyne spells, be he likes to cast muddoon at the end. :/

vall03

I find myself planning demon skill set-ups, creating fusion paths and creating new strategies than actually playing the game, I hate myself sometimes... *sigh*

NeonZ

The names are generally consistent give or tack occasional translation inconsistencies. Orcus is usually the big fat yellow king lizard (and like most Vile demons it is often a boss). The Horkus thing was sort of a pun in SJ (it only pays off fairly late in the game, can't say more without late game spoilers). Not sure why they carried it over to SMTIV.

In SMT IV's case, it's just because it kept the Orcus/Horkos duality introduced by Strange Journey. The names are used by two different demons here.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do conversation trees even matter? There are a lot of branches already.

This game has a lot of charm already. I like how it looks on my Vita. I can ignore the horrible screen resolution of the system. Bought today with the PSN sale.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's only fair that Vita gets a SMT IV port after Persona 5 became 3DS exclusive.

Protip: Don't forget to press up on the dpad to take in the sky view.

It really upset fans of Persona when they set the fifth entry in America. Atlus USA was on suicide watch when they couldn't add -chan and -kun to he dialogue.

I find myself planning demon skill set-ups, creating fusion paths and creating new strategies than actually playing the game, I hate myself sometimes... *sigh*

I wish I knew how to plan this. The most I try to do is carry over as many elemental spells, and null/resist skills. :/

vall03

I wish I knew how to plan this. The most I try to do is carry over as many elemental spells, and null/resist skills. :/

Thats what I've been doing since the start of the game, but during late-game, normal strategies won't work against bosses and its at this point that you need a particular set-up to survive. Add also that I want to use particular demons because I like them or because of their design. Right now I want to redo my whole party even though this set-up is still working and already helped me beat Chaos route, along with some end-game bosses that most people seem to have difficulty beating.

Forkball

Thats what I've been doing since the start of the game, but during late-game, normal strategies won't work against bosses and its at this point that you need a particular set-up to survive.

Can you provide more information on this? I'd hate to show up to a boss where it's impossible for me to beat them.

Late game boss help, infernal Tokyo:
any tips on beating Kenji? I got him pretty good with Agidyne spells, be he likes to cast muddoon at the end. :/

Oh WTF! Spoilers:
so I get further in the fight with Kenji but he cast Ancient Deceipt and my whole party had every status effect ever. Argh!!!

vall03

Can you provide more information on this? I'd hate to show up to a boss where it's impossible for me to beat them.

I'm not really an expert here so I'm not sure on how I can elaborate on this but there are certain skills you need to have like Doping for example, which will help in taking a bit more damage. Dekaja/Dekunda also starts to shine at this point. Tetrakarn/Makarakarn also loses their use(at least from what I've experienced) since these bosses will 'know' that they're up and will retaliate with something like 3 Megidolaons or even worse, 3 Antichtons.

I don't know what else to say, but these are all that I can think of at the moment. Add also that I still haven't fought any of the Fiends so my thoughts on this might not really be that effective.

I bought all DLC, I played and got the re skinned napea, but for some reason I paid the 10 gold jets for the beast one and it is not showing up in my special fusions options? Anyone know what I have to do to fuse it?

Ok, beat that late boss. That was actually really fun once you realize what demons to take with you.

Now I've come to what looks like the true alignment questions:
the white one are asking me if I want to end the world and be the true messiah. How do these questions effect which way I go? I don't wanna lose out on doing side quests.

GeekyDad

Ok, beat that late boss. That was actually really fun once you realize what demons to take with you.

Now I've come to what looks like the true alignment questions:
the white one are asking me if I want to end the world and be the true messiah. How do these questions effect which way I go? I don't wanna lose out on doing side quests.

Well...

There's no "right" way to answer, as far as I know, but...you probably wanna figure this one out on your own.

Alec

My main team is all level 99, just beat Neutral on the second playthrough. Everyone on the team has:

Victory Cry (Recover full HP/MP after battle)
Enduring Soul (Revive from KO once per battle with full HP)
Draconic Reaction (Greatly increase hit/evade rate)
Mana Surge (Greatly increase maximum MP)
Trisagion (Severe Fire attack)
Cold World (Heavy Ice attack, Can instantly kill)
Antichthon (Severe Almighty attack, All Stats Down)
Luster Candy (Increase attack/defense/hit/evade rate)

Team is Mara, Lucifuge, and Mot. Tore through pretty much every boss in the game in 5 turns or less.

TL;DR -- Fuse three demons with Antichthon and Luster Candy, win game.

Forkball

Uh, where do I go after I defeat (Ikebukuro spoilers)
Xi Wangmu? I'm looking for a bookstore but I've been all over and even activated the terminal in Ikebukuro. WHERE ARE YOU BLACK SAMURAI

duckroll

Xi Wangmu? I'm looking for a bookstore but I've been all over and even activated the terminal in Ikebukuro. WHERE ARE YOU BLACK SAMURAI

There's an exit in the underground station there which is now open since the barriers are all down. Head that way.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Head
left directly after exiting the Ikebukuro terminal and head up the stairs. The place you are looking for is actually a demon domain, so don't skip over it thinking it's the wrong place haha.

Top Bottom