• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

NeonZ

I'm scared that going with a physical build will hinder me in the long run, especially that extra turns depend on luck.

With high luck and multi hit weapons, I'm getting extra turns pretty consistently, and I did a build that isn't recommended (str/lck).

For silly personal reasons I want to consider Law path, but until now all the Ashura Kai are being a bunch of dicks.

Law is a dick in this game, like usual, but
the Ashura Kai, although law-ish in alignment aren't actually part of God's Law here. You won't side with them by going with law.

In fact, (further spoilers bellow):

Mastema, that one angel with them, is a law exclusive boss.

So i just met you know who and was ordered to go to a base underground to find true evil. The posts above indicate i am about halfway.

I saved right before i met
Yuriko before i did the morality tunnel. Was that the correct spot to save for choosing a different path?

Or should i not even bother with all of that as NG+ will allow me to breeze right through everything?

With high luck and multi hit weapons, I'm getting extra turns pretty consistently, and I did a build that isn't recommended (str/lck).

Law is a dick in this game, like usual, but
the Ashura Kai, although law-ish in alignment aren't actually part of God's Law here. You won't side with them by going with law.

In fact, (further spoilers bellow):

Mastema, that one angel with them, is a law exclusive boss.

Err what? I did the law path and I never fought
Mastema...

Law misses Magic incense , Chaos misses Dex incense.

Neutral can get them all (the ones you miss are from the final dungeon of the other route and Neutral does both (also Red Rider drops 10 of all Incenses, but you need 100+ Luck to open its door)).

Holy crap! I gotta get off of Law!

Can you just gimme a heads up which enemies drop which incenses? For all the stats, if you know?

EDIT: Unless they're spoilers. Actually, nevermind. I'll wait. Do they drop at high rates?

Watashiwa

I'm really debating between doing a Dex or Mag build for my Hard mode playthrough. I've done magic before and had a lot of good times with it, especially at the end with the almighty skill with Debilitate built in. I'd really like to do a phys run but I'm scared I'll be just setting myself up for a lot of frustrating moments since I can't always hit weaknesses with my bullets.

Halp?

Go Dex/Luck and round out your gun skills with Die For Me! and Judgment Light. Add Debilitate/Luster Candy plus your choice of Dekunda or Dekaja and you've got a good build.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm probably like the 85th person in this thread to say this.. but the beginning of the game is kicking my ass something fierce.

I wish there was a quick re-load.. or is there? Waiting for the death sequence is painful.. and I'm in the first few battles just searching for the relic!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm probably like the 85th person in this thread to say this.. but the beginning of the game is kicking my ass something fierce.

I wish there was a quick re-load.. or is there? Waiting for the death sequence is painful.. and I'm in the first few battles just searching for the relic!

As soon as you die, press Y to skip the animation and go straight to Charon.

And yes, the beginning of the game is very difficult. Keep recruiting demons, fusing them and creating a balanced party. Also save often and don't forget you can go to the Barracks to heal yourself.

As soon as you die, press Y to skip the animation and go straight to Charon.

And yes, the beginning of the game is very difficult. Keep recruiting demons, fusing them and creating a balanced party. Also save often and don't forget you can go to the Barracks to heal yourself.

Isn't it X? Guess I didn't die in a while :I

Watashiwa

So I don't invest in AGI at all? I'll suck at getting first strike and dodging shit then.

Well, I made Luck my second primary stat because I love getting massive item drops, smirking, connecting with instant kills and succeeding in negotiation. Agility is the only other stat I invest points in, and it's not that far behind my magic or luck.

Law has no exclusive NG+ bosses.

Seraph?
It's Neutral that doesn't have any NG+ bosses, though Red Rider is only available on Neutral.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Minotaur keeps making a comeback every fight. I've got Bufu, buffs and a dedicated healer. Level recommendation?

EDIT: Finally beat him. Yay for crits!

Dresden

So I don't invest in AGI at all? I'll suck at getting first strike and dodging shit then.

You want just enough AGI to stay above your demons. Basically, get it to 100 or so by level 70 and you're good to go.

Nice thing about physical builds: you don't need elemental coverage. My loadout:

Desperate Hit (single target, almighty damage)
Hades' Blast (multi target, physical)
Heaven's Bow (multi target, gun)
Charge

Debilitate
Doping
Salvation
Makarakarn

Law misses Magic incense , Chaos misses Dex incense.

Neutral can get them all (the ones you miss are from the final dungeon of the other route and Neutral does both (also Red Rider drops 10 of all Incenses, but you need 100+ Luck to open its door)).

So that's why I have none of them but tons of the others.

Ugh...

Pollux

Just bought this, it's gonna be my first Atlus game other than Catherine, also my first 3DS purchase since OOT when that first came out.

Question, what's the SMT vs. Persona feud Aeana was talking about in the first post?

(Obviously, never played Persona, either)

CSX

My guy after using the 50 incenses i got from beating
Red Rider
and just came back from beating
Matador
on first try :D

npGTdpN.jpg

LaneDS

Got lost in the last page, anyone know if the 60 point "Skill Augment" app is a good investment? Most expensive app I've seen yet.

coopolon

Getting lost in this game makes me want to quit.:-(

Edit: Never mind I found it. I wish as you were exploring they would add exits to the map even if you don't use them, like they do with doors. Several times I have explored an area but either not seen or forgotten an exit and spent time just wandering around aimlessly.

Edit 2: duh, I should just always take an exit when I see it. Most of the time I can come right back except for the occasional one way.

KarmaCow

Like in Strange Journey, I really wish you could annotate the map. I want to do these sidequests but I don't want to scour the overworld for that one unmarked location for an area I found earlier.

>Level up to Demon 6 or 7 levels to obtain its passive skill.

>Is resist fire.

>My demon already has Null Fire

At least one of my demons evolved in one I was looking for.

75 hours and I've got this freakin Shiva!!
His special skill:

- Antichthon: Severe almighty attack all, stat down effect.
- Enduring Soul: Revive from K.O once per battle with full HP
- Victory Cry: Recover full HP/MP after battle

Feels good XD

Dunbar

The early game is very difficult, due to having fairly few options. It gets more manageable as you gain more abilities and build up a selection of demons with varied skills. A few things to keep in mind.

1. Specialize- Most games in the series (especially this one) demand efficiency. You have to be able to hit something hard and fast. A magic and agility centric build is recommended for first-timers, due to how versatile magic is. Agility affects speed, accuracy and evasion, and should not be ignored.

2. Be prepared and understand your weaknesses- Battles in Megaten games can turn on a dime due to unforeseen complications, this is especially true of bosses. You need a diverse crew of demons that can handle a wide variety of threats and need to have a good understanding of how they're going to fight ahead of time.

3. Do not ignore Buffs and debuffs- This is an extremely common beginner's mistake. You NEED to use status spells in order to get the upper hand. The Minotaur is the first boss that demands this (use sukukaja, rakukaja or tarunda if you can), and they're useful throughout the entire games.

4. Be persistent- It's fairly common to get beaten hard by at least some bosses at least once. Take these as learning experiences and use them to build a team that will be able to go toe-to-toe with the boss.

5. Instant kills are not useless- Megaten is one of the rare series where instant kill spells are useful. These spells unfortunately can't be used against most bosses, but high-level versions are obscenely useful against regular enemies that aren't resistant to them, provided you put decent investment into Luck

6. Demons and negotiation- Negotiation is one of those mechanics that varies greatly from game to game, but in this installment it's fairly random, though some options succeed more consistently than others.(pay attention to how often they seem to work.) The only thing I can really point out is that you shouldn't roll over for the demons. Attempt to please them, but don't unflinchingly accept all of their requests ( use cheat option once) and after 5 or so requests you'll want to break off negotiations. Invest in the scout line of apps. The final upgrade makes recruitment far easier. Don't get too attached to your demons, as they usually get outclassed pretty quickly and you will need to fuse them into better things.

7. Save save save

If all else fails, use a guide.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm giving it another try now.

CSX

75 hours and I've got this freakin Shiva!!
His special skill:

- Antichthon: Severe almighty attack all, stat down effect.
- Enduring Soul: Revive from K.O once per battle with full HP
- Victory Cry: Recover full HP/MP after battle

Feels good XD

Nice his only weakness is so low MP . He can do 2 Antichthon before he's asking you for chakra drops lol

His large HP though lets him survive Almighty spams that certain bosses love to do :D

esoterika

Neo Member
You guys spam all your incenses on yourselves right? In past Megaten games I've sometimes saved them for my end-game demons, but.... meh?

Nice his only weakness is so low MP . He can do 2 Antichthon before he's asking you for chakra drops lol

His large HP though lets him survive Almighty spams that certain bosses love to do :D

Yeah... His low MP kinda suck. But the other demon support ready to help. He just sit there in his Airavata playin sitar like the ol'Shiva XD

No just needs to be a second play through. Um pretty sure

I can't fight the NG+ law route bosses on a chaos playthrough.

Also how do I get that omega Almighty spell with a built in debilitate? Antichiliroion or whatever its called. How do I get Salvation?

CSX

I can't fight the NG+ law route bosses on a chaos playthrough.

Also how do I get that omega Almighty spell with a built in debilitate? Antichiliroion or whatever its called. How do I get Salvation?
Salvation earliest is mahamayuri at lv 69. Shiva gets antichlorin

Top Bottom