• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

brinstar

lategame spoilers regarding Walter & Jonathan

is it me or was
their "transformations" really abrupt? It feels like there wasn't much build-up to them becoming straight up enemies, I haven't finished yet, maybe there's more dialogue that will help clarify things

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So two quick questions,

First, how are you guys checking your alignment. I've met the guys in the bar, but that's all I've seen. Is there an icon that I've missed that straight up tells you what alignment you are?

Second
I just made it to blasted Tokyo and have the choice to either kill the demon or take on pluto. So far I've just been doing what I would do, but this choice appears binary and I don't know what to do. Can I do both? If not do you have a recommendation. As per the first question I don't know my alignment, but the guy in the bar says I'm polite. I'd like to go law. I sided with Walter at the split.

Kill the demon...? I thought that was a sidequest type of deal. Even Walter flat out saying that you can choose to do it or not, it's up to you, right?

I did both. Killing the demon in Shinjuku (IIRC) and killing
Pluto
. Not even sure that there is a 'choice' here, except maybe that question that popped out before the boss fight.... Huh, come to think of it, I don't know what happened if you say "It takes more consideration" instead of "Yeah" answer.

Polite means your alignment is law.

Aeana

That's enough. I'm tired of receiving complaints and I'm tired of editing and deleting posts. I don't think it's that hard to be courteous with your spoiler tags. All you have to do is mark where you are in the game.

And CornBurrito, you need to actually USE spoiler tags.

BearChair

Kill the demon...? I thought that was a sidequest type of deal. Even Walter flat out saying that you can choose to do it or not, it's up to you, right?

I did both. Killing the demon in Shinjuku (IIRC) and killing
Pluto
. Not even sure that there is a 'choice' here, except maybe that question that popped out before the boss fight.... Huh, come to think of it, I don't know what happened if you say "It takes more consideration" instead of "Yeah" answer.

Polite means your alignment is law.

That quest is listed under the main quests section and not challenge quests. I just assumed I could only do one of the two.

hawk2025

Question about alignments and when they lock, 70% or so (maybe a bit more?) into the game:

I've just been given the choice of siding with the now-transformed sister Gabby, or go back and join the Black Samurai. Even after choosing to side with the Black Samurai (and now I have to go to the power plant, which I can't for the life of me find -- help?) the guy in the bar still says I'm "polite". Do I still have a chance of moving the needle to neutral and away from Law? How far am I approximately from being locked into a path?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That quest is listed under the main quests section and not challenge quests. I just assumed I could only do one of the two.

I am aware of that. But I thought it's actually a "sidequest do this before you move on" type of deal.

I am not entirely sure what would happen if you beat the required boss before you tackle that quest though, or if you ignore it altogether entirely. Maybe just some alignment point shifting? Not sure.

Anyways, I did both, and I see no repercussion from doing them both. Not that I am aware of anyways.

Question about alignments and when they lock, 70% or so (maybe a bit more?) into the game:

I've just been given the choice of siding with the now-transformed sister Gabby, or go back and join the Black Samurai. Even after choosing to side with the Black Samurai (and now I have to go to the power plant, which I can't for the life of me find -- help?) the guy in the bar still says I'm "polite". Do I still have a chance of moving the needle to neutral and away from Law? How far am I approximately from being locked into a path?

The place you are looking for is directly north of Shibuya,. It is blocked by a gangster that wouldn't let you pass no matter what before.

Anyways, yes you still have chance to sway the needle I believe. Sidequests and such, and various questions popping out later on.

GeekyDad

Anyone downloading the Clipped Wings DLC, please offer a little mini-review. Wondering if there's any story content at all, or if it's just a battle with the ability to fuse the archangels.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Did anyone else find this mysterious room in Kasumigaseki and what's up with it?

outside of the underground tunnel, there are 2 elevators that don't work. If you have key 2, you can use the one on the right. There's a small underground secret passage that leads you to a room that's mostly empty, but in one if the rooms inside there's a ghost saying something about the Ashura-Kai.

I wonder if there's any mission linked to this

Busaiku

Anyways, I did both, and I see no repercussion from doing them both. Not that I am aware of anyways.

Doing the quest itself has no repercussions.
You automatically gain Law points for hearing the quest (not up to your control).
Did anyone else find this mysterious room in Kasumigaseki and what's up with it?

outside of the underground tunnel, there are 2 elevators that don't work. If you have key 2, you can use the one on the right. There's a small underground secret passage that leads you to a room that's mostly empty, but in one if the rooms inside there's a ghost saying something about the Ashura-Kai.

I wonder if there's any mission linked to this

It's related to Red Rider, I think.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Skill name spoilers:
So which Ice skill should I carry on my main character,
Bufudyne, Glacial Blast or Cold World?
. The last one is expensive but oh so strong.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Skill name spoilers:

Should skills be considered spoilers? Lol

Anyway, I'd go with
Cole world but then switch it with mabufudyne when you have the chance

That's enough. I'm tired of receiving complaints and I'm tired of editing and deleting posts. I don't think it's that hard to be courteous with your spoiler tags. All you have to do is mark where you are in the game.

And CornBurrito, you need to actually USE spoiler tags.

Where? I didn't realize I was spoiling anything that hasn't already been said without spoiler tags prior in the thread.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Skill name spoilers:

Glacial Blast can potentially up-damage Bufudyne, but the latter is much more consistent.

Cold World is not worth it, meh, considering it's not even severe, and it costs a fuck ton of MP (even when compared to other Severe-level elemental spells... 50 compared to what, 20-ish MP? Sheeshhh).

Also I am willing to bet my balls that instant kill effect wouldn't work on bosses anyways.

Additionally, why would we spoiler name skills....? Should we? Seems so silly no?

Where? I didn't realize I was spoiling anything that hasn't already been said without spoiler tags prior in the thread.

I wanted to quote you who quoted me earlier, but to my surprise your post was deleted. I don't think anything in that post warrant any deletion, but maybe someone complained to her or something.

Dresden

Breath from Demonee-ho is the best ice spell, from what I've used of it. Sucks that he has two of the best offensive skills in the game but you can only pass them down in fusion lite.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You can't? Desperate Hit can be whispered so I assumed Breath would be the same.

What's the skill description for Breath?

And what do you mean it can only be passed down with Fusion Lite? You mean that app for fusing during battle? You can't pass it down to any other demon with regular fusing...?

So I decide to check the Mikado equipment shop, since it's been a while. New armor for sale! OK, let's see what the chest piece does for my sta--12 HP and weak to Dark. With no resistances.

Q. Sweetie. Are you sure blacksmithing is the profession for you?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So I decide to check the Mikado equipment shop, since it's been a while. New armor for sale! OK, let's see what the chest piece does for my sta--12 HP and weak to Dark. With no resistances.

Q. Sweetie. Are you sure blacksmithing is the profession for you?

But it looks cool.

(I don't actually remember if it looks cool.)

Dresden

What's the skill description for Breath?

And what do you mean it can only be passed down with Fusion Lite? You mean that app for fusing during battle? You can't pass it down to any other demon with regular fusing...?

It's Glacial Blast with one more hit.

Unique skills like Desperate Hit can't be inherited through fusion, but fusion lite makes it possible mid-battle. The problem is that you can't pick and choose just what skills are passed down in lite...

But it looks cool.

(I don't actually remember if it looks cool.)

If it's the chain mail, I loved their look. Used the Fire Guard (the one you unlock after a delivery quest with Null Fire) for almost the entire game.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Speaking of armors, there's some badass stuff at the Ginza shop but can't buy anything because I'm such a bum (just paid Charon 40k that I owed him).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's Glacial Blast with one more hit.

Unique skills like Desperate Hit can't be inherited through fusion, but fusion lite makes it possible mid-battle. The problem is that you can't pick and choose just what skills are passed down in lite...

Huh, I don't even know unique skills can be inherited through that method.

Though I am not sure if it is worth the bother. Well, I'll probably try it out for Desperate Hit.

Actually I am not sure how Fusion Lite works since I haven't bought it.

Speaking of armors, there's some badass stuff at the Ginza shop but can't buy anything because I'm such a bum (just paid Charon 40k that I owed him).

Guns-toting MCs like mine are HURT seeing the prices for all the bullets and the guns. I've practically sold all my limbs for purchasing the most expensive bazooka there, and I don't even know HOW I can buy the rest of the bullets, plus with armors and the accessories, without accessing the money DLC.

Thankfully the Cowboy Hat head armor outpaces all of the Head Armors sold there for guns wielding folks like mine.

Anyone downloading the Clipped Wings DLC, please offer a little mini-review. Wondering if there's any story content at all, or if it's just a battle with the ability to fuse the archangels.

You get teleported back to Mikado's past, where a hooded man called M (you know who it is) greets you. He tells you that the four Archangels have drifted astray from God's original plans for Mikado, and have killed Aquila. He teleports you to Tokyo to fight Uriel and Michael. They're suitable for players in the late 60's/early 70's. M says he'll make them into nobodies, thanks you for your help, and says he might ask for it again.

For 10-20 minutes of content, I felt like it should have been worth $1.50, or $2 at most. Still, I had the eShop credit. The actual challenge bosses are yet to come.

Caladrius

For clipped wings (I'm at level 81 BTW):
Uriel is easyish. Raphael is utterly destroying me. He has a severe party-wide wind attack that pierces resistances and he inflicts some kind of status spell with one of his phys attacks, He has almighty if you happen to resist those.

Dam they seem to be rolling the dlc out faster than original release no?

They just have to translate the text for localization. There's no voicework or extensive coding to be done.

For clipped wings (I'm at level 81 BTW):
Uriel is easyish. Raphael is utterly destroying me. He has a severe party-wide wind attack that pierces resistances and he inflicts some kind of status spell with one of his phys attacks, He has almighty if you happen to resist those.

The status effect, Brand, seems to reduce all healing of health and magic to 1. Never saw it used in the main game.

Watashiwa

There's 5 major ones total. The 2 Archangel packs,
A fight against a Demon called Sanato, an avatar of God, and the revived Masakado (The game's ultimate challenge.) And yes, you get to fuse all of them.

The archangel packs are kind of neat; if you buy and complete both you get another bonus boss I'm given to understand.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, a question!

What do you folks think the ingredients/skill set-up for the Ultimate Healer in this game?

I created a Null-everything Norn with Mediarahan and Energy Drain, but she is still susceptible to status attacks, which is annoying.

Any recommendation about which demon to fuse on and the skills to pass on for the Ultimate Healer?

Watashiwa

So, a question!

What do you folks think the ingredients/skill set-up for the Ultimate Healer in this game?

I created a Null-everything Norn with Mediarahan and Energy Drain, but she is still susceptible to status attacks, which is annoying.

Any recommendation about which demon to fuse on and the skills to pass on for the Ultimate Healer?

Salvation, Samerecarm, Victory Cry, same as always.

Atlantis

Personally not crazy about a huge amount of Nulls on my demons. Even for my healers I prefer a bit of offensive and support spells instead of mass passives.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Salvation, Samerecarm, Victory Cry, same as always.

Ouch, haven't even meet one demon with Salvation and Victory Cry yet, hahaha. Guess I need to wait a bit longer.

What is the first demon that can learn Salvation? And Victory Cry too, while I am at it (though I am not sure whether this is worth it considering the existence of MP regenerating app, if Victory Cry does what I think it does.)

Personally not crazy about a huge amount of Nulls on my demons. Even for my healers I prefer a bit of offensive and support spells instead of mass passives.

It looks *beautiful* man, hahaha.

Although you are correct that it can severely limit what a demon can do. Anyways, I treat my Null demons as some sort of stock ingredients to transfer all the nulls to those who need it.

Watashiwa

Mahamayuri has Salvation, not sure about Victory Cry. It's honestly less important now with the party MP heal app. Add your favorite Severe or Almighty skill, or maybe one of the -karns.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think Healing Knowhow is gonna be very important too, as well as Null Nerve and Null Mind... Salvation has an Amrita effect right? But maybe with Salvation Healing Knowhow is not that important...?

And Energy Drain so that the demon can be self-sustainable... hmmm.

What's the genus for Mahamayuri? So that I can search for it with the fusion app.

Sorry for so many questions here, hahaha.

If I'm still Lawful after
siding with Walter,
is there any chance I can pull off Neutral? Should I pretty much only go with Chaos decisions after this?

Watashiwa

No worries; better to ask than to stay confused.

Salvation is a heal-all. Mediarahan+Amrita, yes. Healing Knowhow lets your demon use healing items from your stock which can be useful if you want to restore some MP.

I'd recommend against Energy Drain since the damage is so low, though you can make a decent bit of MP restoration. Healing Knowhow would let you restore MP to allies. Frankly, the party MP restoration app works so quickly that I wouldn't be too worried about MP consumption. Use the skill slot for a -karn skill.

Mahamayuri is a Deity, though he's a plot-relevant special fusion. You'll get him in
Infernal Tokyo

There's still a chance. It just depends on how far into law you were.
I made mostly Lawful decisions in the story, told the optional Suicidal Woman I was a human, AND I spared all four fighters in the Tournament Prelims...
But I went left every time in that Ethics Trial. The Cynical Man is saying I'm "very polite" after siding with Walter.

Given all that, am I probably screwed even if I go full chaos now? :(

Aeana

I made mostly Lawful decisions in the story, told the optional Suicidal Woman I was a human, AND I spared all four fighters in the Tournament Perlims...
But I went left every time in that Ethics Trial. The Cynical Man is saying I'm "very polite" after siding with Walter.

Given all that, am I probably screwed even if I go full chaos now? :(

Nope. There's quite a few choices to make, it's still very possible to get neutral/swing into chaos.

REALLY LATE GAME SPOILERS

Ok:
How will I know when I have hit the neutral path? I assume I choose preserve status quo or the chaos option, but instead of Jon or Walter, Stephen appears instead?

Top Bottom