• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

PK Gaming

Breath from Demonee-ho is the best ice spell, from what I've used of it. Sucks that he has two of the best offensive skills in the game but you can only pass them down in fusion lite.

Haha, that sounds like one hell of an oversight.

EDIT: Through complacency and bad luck on my part, i'm doing worse on my new game+ than I did in vanilla run

;_;

Dresden

The
challenge quest grind
in late-game Neutral is really grinding my gears. I feel like I've done all the cool ones already and now I just have a bunch of
'kill 18 of these' quests
left.

Watashiwa

Replaying the early parts of the game and actually looking at the screen this time. Walter's face when Hikaru says "I'm interested in you all" is pure gold.

Not sure if this is a spoiler, but I guess if you don't want high level demons spoiler to you do not read it:

Demon-heeho is the best demon ever.

Aeana

So is VR Battle 6 beatable without luck?

I don't necessarily need to know how to complete it, but if luck is a factor I'll just give up now.

Yep.

Turn 1: Hero and Gnome use next, Undine uses swap with Taotie, Taotie uses next, Salamander uses swap with Kanbari, finish rest of turn with next.

Turn 2: Hero uses next, Taotie next, Kanbari swap with Undine, use next for the rest of the turn.

Turn 3: Hero uses swap to summon Salamander to an empty space, use next for rest of turn.

Turn 4: Hero uses swap to summon Kanbari to empty space, Salamander uses next, Kanbari uses Tetrakarn.

This will work every time.

Damn, Shibuya is a lot bigger than the previous locations. I was definitely impressed by that. Nice to have a larger area with more exploration involved.

So is VR Battle 6 beatable without luck?

I don't necessarily need to know how to complete it, but if luck is a factor I'll just give up now.

It's not based on luck, but it's definitely a hard one to figure out. I beat it earlier today and felt really good about myself.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No worries; better to ask than to stay confused.

Salvation is a heal-all. Mediarahan+Amrita, yes. Healing Knowhow lets your demon use healing items from your stock which can be useful if you want to restore some MP.

I'd recommend against Energy Drain since the damage is so low, though you can make a decent bit of MP restoration. Healing Knowhow would let you restore MP to allies. Frankly, the party MP restoration app works so quickly that I wouldn't be too worried about MP consumption. Use the skill slot for a -karn skill.

Mahamayuri is a Deity, though he's a plot-relevant special fusion. You'll get him in
Infernal Tokyo

Ahh I actually just beat it last night. And I am level 76 right now, so I can fuse/search for it straight away.

And it comes with a Null Nerve too! Great. Now to work it out so that it can also get a Null Mind..... ahh....

As for Energy Drain consideration, hmmm. So far I outfitted the majority of my spell users with it and it has been helpful--in my 70 hours file I have never actually use a single chakra-restoring item even once yet.

Healing Knowhow I need mainly for using status healing items, but this is covered with Salvation... hmmm.

I really have to recommend against Energy Drain. I haven't found it necessarily ever since I got the MP walk skills. Even boss battles don't see me using up all the MP on a demon. I think I've used 1 great chakra in my 60 hour save file.

Yep.

Turn 1: Hero and Gnome use next, Undine uses swap with Taotie, Taotie uses next, Salamander uses swap with Kanbari, finish rest of turn with next.

Turn 2: Hero uses next, Taotie next, Kanbari swap with Undine, use next for the rest of the turn.

Turn 3: Hero uses swap to summon Salamander to an empty space, use next for rest of turn.

Turn 4: Hero uses swap to summon Kanbari to empty space, Salamander uses next, Kanbari uses Tetrakarn.

This will work every time.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I got it on my own. Here's what I did (more or less):

Next for hero, swap Gnome for Kanbari and immediately use Tetrakarn. Continually attack Hairy Jack until end of turn. Jack the Ripper's hit is reflected and he dies. Attack Hairy Jack with Gnome and Kanbari until they both die. Summon Taotie, ensuring that the only demons on the field are Taotie and Undine. Frost uses Mabufu and kills Taotie along with himself. Summon Salamander. Pyro attacks and kills Undine along with himself. Victory!

I asked if luck was involved because I wasn't sure if there was a way to coax them into using the ma- version of their spells, but I guess all I needed to do was present an enticing target for them. Clever battle.

Just had a weird bug in the "Dance of the Dead" challenge quest. Minor spoilers, but could be an annoying bug, so beware:

I got a confuse spell cast on me by the boss David, after which my character immediately tried to cast the auto-escape spell with which I've so cowardly equipped him. It failed of course, because it was a boss battle, but immediately after I finished the rest of my turn the battle just ended and I was told "Quest Complete." However, when I went into Mido looking for David, I got no message that he had been added to my fuse-able demons, and indeed he hadn't been. After spending another 30 minutes beating David the right way, i got the real quest complete and unlocked David. I assume I would've lost the ability to get him if I accepted my bugged victory.

I'm being super cautious after just losing 20 hours in Virtue's Last Reward thanks to the famous bug I "foolishly" failed to research, so I'm doing my due diligence here for the public.

PK Gaming

I really have to recommend against Energy Drain. I haven't found it necessarily ever since I got the MP walk skills. Even boss battles don't see me using up all the MP on a demon. I think I've used 1 great chakra in my 60 hour save file.

It's not that useful in regular battles, but if you're in a boss battle and your loaded with heavy cost MP skills, then its useful. I've run out of MP in more than a couple boss battles.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It's just I have been doing it for quite a while it's gonna be weird if I stop, hahaha.

It's not that useful in regular battles, but if you're in a boss battle and your loaded with heavy cost MP skills, then its useful. I've run out of MP in more than a couple boss battles.

Yes, another member of the Energy/Spirit Drain Club! I thought I was the only one, hahaha.

Keeping a few MP restoring items around, you shouldn't need to resort to Energy Drain even in those situations.

Totakeke

Making the ideal squad is better than making the ideal team for this game due to the press turn system, healing spells affecting your whole squad, and the amount of demons you can have with you at one time.

No idea how the final extra bosses are like though.

Totakeke

Die for Me! can't be transferred through normal fusion right? Judgement Light can be though.

YKMEhiC.png

Heh.

vall03

For me, using a move like Energy Drain against late game bosses is a wasted Press Turn imo. Its really more important to spend that turn using a buff/debuff/heal move since the MC can use Great Chakra that will fully restore the party's MP. Although I've only really need to use a Great Chakra against one side-quest boss.

Eusis

Got locked into Law unfortunately, I hoped to do Neutral but
I didn't realize until it was too late I was going to be bared from challenge quests to tip it one way or the other. Plus I ran into the suicidal woman in Ikebukuro, should've done more earlier on but I kind of played it fast and loose at the early part of the game so I figured I'd just see what'd happen.

About how much longer is left? I just want to beat this and start over, but I do want to get some nice equipment first.

Is there a list of the demons that evolve?

I still have my divine Prinicipality that's evolved all the way up to a Cherub, love this thing.

Watashiwa

Just had a weird bug in the "Dance of the Dead" challenge quest. Minor spoilers, but could be an annoying bug, so beware:

I got a confuse spell cast on me by the boss David, after which my character immediately tried to cast the auto-escape spell with which I've so cowardly equipped him. It failed of course, because it was a boss battle, but immediately after I finished the rest of my turn the battle just ended and I was told "Quest Complete." However, when I went into Mido looking for David, I got no message that he had been added to my fuse-able demons, and indeed he hadn't been. After spending another 30 minutes beating David the right way, i got the real quest complete and unlocked David. I assume I would've lost the ability to get him if I accepted my bugged victory.

I'm being super cautious after just losing 20 hours in Virtue's Last Reward thanks to the famous bug I "foolishly" failed to research, so I'm doing my due diligence here for the public.

Weird... try mailing Atlus about this? Also, I don't think you get the message until after you have all the requirements for the fusion. Do you have Chagrin, Apsaras and Naga?

Late/End game spoilers:

Kinda random, but I really hate Lucifer's design in this game. It's so ugly! I wasn't crazy about the angels or Asmodeus or anything, but they looked cool enough. Lucifer just looked... bleh.

Weird... try mailing Atlus about this? Also, I don't think you get the message until after you have all the requirements for the fusion. Do you have Chagrin, Apsaras and Naga?

Mayhap I will do just that during downtime at work tomorrow. I do have all the demons for it, and didn't acquire anything between my bugged victory (where David didn't unlock) and true victory (where he did).

Ahh I feel like I'm back on QA for X-Men Legends II again...

So, I think I'm approaching a branching point soon:
I'm at the part where we've just be introduced to the angels, and the team has split up inside the castle. Will who I choose lock me into a path? Will my alignment at this point matter, or will I get railroaded later?

Also, I've heard the most efficient order to do the endings (for NG+ content) is Law > Chaos > Neutral. Any truth to this?

Finally, in regards to NG+: I've heard carry over is an all-or-nothing deal, where "nothing" only brings over the Compendium and Skill expansion apps. Since you only get app points if you level or find app cards, does this mean that without the app items it's virtually impossible to get all apps either way you do the NG+?

Late/End game spoilers:

Kinda random, but I really hate Lucifer's design in this game. It's so ugly! I wasn't crazy about the angels or Asmodeus or anything, but they looked cool enough. Lucifer just looked... bleh.

I really hope Atlus doesn't reuse those designs.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Don't feel bad LB. I had Energy Drain on my MC and most of my demons when I beat the game.

I unno. I've rarely seen a place for it, when there are so many awesome skills out there. It helps that my MC has 200 magic and with concentrate can end bosses quickly.

healer: have Salvation? Good to go.

I have better demons, but I ride or die with my bros Demonee-ho and Alice.

I think Demonee-Ho is going to be the demon I use the entire game. He's amazing. Good HP, good damage. Charge + Myriad Arrow can net like 800-1600 damage on a boss.

I'm also using Metatron who does poor damage but has Doping and absorbs turns like a monster with drain phys. Though he will be replaced once I get all the special fusions and such.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm with you bro. Ever since I got it I've been passing it down to EVERY demon I make. My Seth and Beelzebub don't exactly have the biggest MP pool so it helps them spam those Antichthons, Luster Candies, and Salvations.

Don't feel bad LB. I had Energy Drain on my MC and most of my demons when I beat the game.

the true way to play this game ;)

Nice to see I am not all alone :))

70 hours in... man I am taking a lot of time with this game. It's my "gotta get all the skills on the Demons before I fuse them" OCD....

A question: wouldn't it be a waste to spend Incense items on the MC if you are aiming for a clean New Game+ mode since you can't record the MC in the compendium? Or is the game 'remembers' all the Incenses you throw at him?

Also another question while I am at it: is there a heavy multi-hit gun skills? Physical gets one so I assume there will be one for guns as well... am I correct?

I was having trouble with the
white spirit that looks like K
and then made a demon with Tetrakarn and it suddenly became the easiest boss battle ever lol.

Eusis

Nice to see I am not all alone :))

70 hours in... man I am taking a lot of time with this game. It's my "gotta get all the skills on the Demons before I fuse them" OCD....

A question: wouldn't it be a waste to spend Incense items on the MC if you are aiming for a clean New Game+ mode since you can't record the MC in the compendium? Or is the game 'remembers' all the Incenses you throw at him?

Also another question while I am at it: is there a heavy multi-hit gun skills? Physical gets one so I assume there will be one for guns as well... am I correct?
The bad ending counts as a legitimate ending for NG+, and when I did that I saw (gameplay spoilers? Whatever, it's just NG+ details
two options, one for a standard carry over IE compendium and stuff, and an enhanced one where you keep everything, even levels, into NG+. I think doing it that way not only makes it more practical on the main character but in theory makes maxing stats possible. If there's an incense DLC coming up that'd probably be more practical though.

EDIT: Also never got an answer for how much longer I have on Law path if I just barrel through that. I did a few quests to get items, but like said I'd rather just get it done with to try to do a neutral/chaos run. If anyone wants to know where specifically I am, it's
Lucifer's Palace.

hawk2025

Question about... Ugh, hard to explain. Probably don't read if you haven't beaten the game.

so I sided with Walter (was still Law), went to the power plant, pressed the button and... The world ended and now everything's covered in sand? Am I on the Chaos path? I just made it to this new area, and I see that all other quests have been "cancelled".
If it hasn't locked yet, how far am I from that?

Top Bottom