• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

KarmaCow

So just want to make sure, there is no way to toggle on labels on the overworld map right? It wouldn't be so bad to wander to look for locations if there was some way to avoid encounters other than waiting for them to despawn.

The ironic thing is that early Christianism will have more in common with the Cult of Gaia than the Law allingment of this game.

I don't see how that's the case. The principal belief of the Cult of Gaia is that power trumps everything - the strong rule while the weak are discarded. Early Christians were known for supporting those who were weak in Roman society - women, slaves, the poor - which is part of the reason it was able to find such a following.

I don't see how that's the case. The principal belief of the Cult of Gaia is that power trumps everything - the strong rule while the weak are discarded. Early Christians were known for supporting those who were weak in Roman society - women, slaves, the poor - which is part of the reason it was able to find such a following.

More in the sense of fighting against overwhelming law abiding empire (until they were assimilated into the empire).

But yeah, their believes are totally different regarding the weak, to the point where the Cult becomes pretty hypocrital when you realize that the Ginza subquest
You are accomulating money to buy more stuff. Tyler Durden will cry
or that female NPC
That admits that is here because she is hot

duckroll

I do not think that Christianity itself, or any major religion which exists in society today, can ever be represented as the Law foundations in a Megaten game. It simply doesn't make sense. The foundation of the divine and demonic powers in Megaten has always been primal. Powers which have existed before the dawn of man, filled with the desire to undo the state of human society and remake it in a form which they feel is "right" for the world.

Any religion we are familiar with in the world today are built on human understanding and integrated with human society. The objective is to coexist, not to dictate existence. As such, it already fails the test of a true Law alignment - full obedience to God and carrying out His will without compromise.

I do not think that Christianity itself, or any major religion which exists in society today, can ever be represented as the Law foundations in a Megaten game. It simply doesn't make sense. The foundation of the divine and demonic powers in Megaten has always been primal. Powers which have existed before the dawn of man, filled with the desire to undo the state of human society and remake it in a form which they feel is "right" for the world.

Any religion we are familiar with in the world today are built on human understanding and integrated with human society. The objective is to coexist, not to dictate existence. As such, it already fails the test of a true Law alignment - full obedience to God and carrying out His will without compromise.

Pretty much.

coopolon

So just want to make sure, there is no way to toggle on labels on the overworld map right? It wouldn't be so bad to wander to look for locations if there was some way to avoid encounters other than waiting for them to despawn.

There's a skill that can just make them disappear (assuming you are sufficiently higher level than the mob). Can't remember what its called, it's 25mp. Estoma Sword?

PK Gaming

cf7d2d0f21685bf4ef3efa594f93fe2e20130420214419.png

"Hey guys, remember me? I'm the girl that appears in Shinjuku and a couple of other places, why aren't more people talking about me :("

Does anyone else love how out of place Hikaru is? Her design makes it seem like she's from a Persona game. Food for thought, Flynn and Hikaru go to the same school.

Nice :D

My MC is gun-based so I don't get him an Energy Drain, but practically all of my spell users be that healing or offensive get an Energy Drain in their skill repertoire. I find it useful in prolonged battles like bosses and such.

It's nice to see that there are many who can find value in Energy Drain :)

I can see value in Energy Drain sort of, but I mostly prefer a coverage move. I'm serious when I say I haven't run out of MP once this game except on the final
Law boss.

And when that happens I have 5 unused great chakras.

It helps that every normal battle for me now ends in 3 seconds by a single use of Judgement Light. My demons can conserve all of their MP for boss battles.

But YHWH is literally the final boss in many older SMT games. It seems that the Japanese do not seethe Judeo-Christian deity as being about coexistence. They look at the Old Testament god and see a murderous, vile, psychopathic, egotistical dictator. And in the OT it really was "follow my law or I have no qualms about ordering the Jews to commit genocide."

Also the Angels in certain games (Devil Survivor) struck me as basically extreme caricature of the Christian Crusaders.

NeonZ

I take it you don't live in the United States? There's a fairly significant difference between a vague God and having Jesus show up as a potential villain.

I'm Brazilian, and Brazil is a pretty Christian country too though. Anyway, God is specifically called Yehowah in Devil Survivor (+Overclocked) and that had an American release. Besides, the mythological references in the various games generally make it clear that it's the Jewish/Christian God, not just a generic divine or creator entity, besides a few exceptions (like the "Great Will" in Nocturne).

The foundation of the divine and demonic powers in Megaten has always been primal. Powers which have existed before the dawn of man, filled with the desire to undo the state of human society and remake it in a form which they feel is "right" for the world.

There's a difference between reshaping the law faction into something else and merely adding some figures that have been avoided so far though. In this case, those figures are big enough and related enough to the content they're already covering that they're referenced sometimes, making their absence even more odd.

duckroll

But YHWH is literally the final boss in many older SMT games. It seems that the Japanese do not seethe Judeo-Christian deity as being about coexistence. They look at the Old Testament god and see a murderous, vile, psychopathic, egotistical dictator. And in the OT it really was "follow my law or I have no qualms about ordering the Jews to commit genocide."

There is no modern mainstream religion which specifically worships and views Yahweh as he is presented in the Old Testament. That's my entire point. :p

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Game is sooooo good.

..and I just picked up Persona 4 the other day and have that $30 E-Shop credit for either PX or that new Mario RPG.

My poor wife, she's going to hate me.

Post alignment lock, neutral path, late spoilers:
so I have to go to Ginza and unsheath Skins katana to waken Tokyoz guardian deity. I've been doing side quests instead just for fun, but I'm not actually enjoying many of them. Do they amount to much beyond kill this demon, take a photo of this place?

Aeana

Post alignment lock, neutral path, late spoilers:
so I have to go to Ginza and unsheath Skins katana to waken Tokyoz guardian deity. I've been doing side quests instead just for fun, but I'm not actually enjoying many of them. Do they amount to much beyond kill this demon, take a photo of this place?
The main ones that are required have neat story involved. The photo quests just lead up to Nozomi's last one.

The main ones that are required have neat story involved. The photo quests just lead up to Nozomi's last one.

How can you tell which side quests are main ones?

(late game spoiler) Nice detail I noticed:
with the portal to the Expanse open there are less NPC's out in the open, including the underground shelters. Also all the NPC dialogue was changed to reflect recent events, creating a sense of urgency and bleakness.

GeekyDad

Whelp, just bought the last outfit I wanted from the secret shop in Ginza and ended my Neutral (first) playthrough.
So...I'm right in thinking Burroughs was the true goddess of Tokyo? Sure sounded like her voice at the end there.

daveo42

Banned
The story really seemed to pick up once I got to (early to mid spoiler)
Shinjuku with a lot of the story focused around the Ring of Gaea and the Ashura-kai. Made it all the way through my first meeting with Tayama after rescuing what I believe to be our samurai counterparts.
I'm hoping to still hit the Chaos ending first, but it seems like my normal tendency is getting in the way and I'm sitting on the Law side at the moment. At this point, I think I'm about 50% done.

The one big issue I keep running into is knowing where I need to go, but not remembering where it is on the map/how to get there. It seems like I can get to places I don't need to go to easily, but whenever I need to get to a place to progress the story, I get hung up and walk all over just to find it.

Bogeypop

the test of a true Law alignment - full obedience to God and carrying out His will without compromise.

In the beginning I was regretting going Law route, but when I got locked into my route and saw this mentality full-blown it was very interesting seeing everything unfold.

Young Magus

Oh I know. It's just that i've barely seen any speculation or discussion on her character, which is strange considering how she sticks out like a sore thumb.
Well considering how most folks haven't gotten into a certain route and how quick she appears it makes sense that she isn't brought up as much.

Also, I really really hope the OST drops soon, gonna buy that in a heartbeat.

Blusby

Loaded my save to check out the BAD ENDING. Hahahaha. Oh well, time to go LAW all the way now. <3
You monster!
Also cynical man is saying I'm neutral now but given that I haven't followed a guide I'll probably go Bad>Law>Chaos>Neutral, might as well keep the ideology I identify with the most as last eh? Also Hikaru, best female design in anything ever.

More in the sense of fighting against overwhelming law abiding empire (until they were assimilated into the empire).

The early Christians didn't take up arms against the Roman Empire, unlike, say, the Jewish Zealots of the first century. They were generally law-abiding folk, except for their refusal to worship the Emperor.

"Hey guys, remember me? I'm the girl that appears in Shinjuku and a couple of other places, why aren't more people talking about me :("

Does anyone else love how out of place Hikaru is? Her design makes it seem like she's from a Persona game. Food for thought, Flynn and Hikaru go to the same school.

She's a really weird character in this setting, and I can't say I trust her. Not only her cheerfulness and school uniform (
why would she have something like that; she would have been born after schools disappeared
), but also being in the right place at the right time on several occasions. There's got to be more than meets the eye.

Dresden

Oh I know. It's just that i've barely seen any speculation or discussion on her character, which is strange considering how she sticks out like a sore thumb.

The thing is that one of the routes makes it quite clear, which leaves very little to speculate about.

I still don't understand why Nozomi never got a portrait or unique sprite when Kaga did.
My guess is that since Nozomi's a sidequest character, there was no guarantee players would see her, so they saw no reason to create a portrait. Which is a shame, because she has been pretty cool so far.

On Hikaru,
I have expect her to be Lucifer who's actually trying to disguise himself this time around. She's providing just enough hints to move you to your next destination, and her name is related to the Japanese word for 'light'.

I just beat one of the early bosses,
the Minotaur,
and I honestly felt proud of myself for the first time playing a game in a while. I was under-leveled and he took me down in one turn the first couple times I tried, but then I went to the Cathedral of Souls, fused two new demons to support my team and I won the battle easily. Instead of mindlessly grinding in a JRPG I used some strategy and was successful!

Top Bottom