• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

duckroll

Wow. Training Exercise 8 is AMAZING. Anyone who skips out on these quests are losing out on hilarity. Not only are they awesome puzzle battles, but omg.... you just have to see 8 to believe it! SO GOOD. :D

Wow. Training Exercise 8 is AMAZING. Anyone who skips out on these quests are losing out on hilarity. Not only are they awesome puzzle battles, but omg.... you just have to see 8 to believe it! SO GOOD. :D

I like the music and the dialogue in the training exercises, but by the end I think they fall victim to the same problem that plagues the optional bosses: winning isn't about creativity; it's about learning what triggers certain AI actions and then toeing the line. Seemingly legitimate strategies will get punished just because they are not the pattern the game wants you to follow.

duckroll

I like the music and the dialogue in the training exercises, but by the end I think they fall victim to the same problem that plagues the optional bosses: winning isn't about creativity; it's about learning what triggers certain AI actions and then toeing the line. Seemingly legitimate strategies will get punished just because they are not the pattern the game wants you to follow.

You sound like someone who rejects the Law path. God have mercy on your soul. :(

coopolon

I just realized when I fused alice I forgot to add die for me. Dammnnnn it. Oh well, I've got tons of money (~400k), I guess I'll just fuse the one I made to something else and then refuse Alice. She did have null force though which was nice.

GeekyDad

I just realized when I fused alice I forgot to add die for me. Dammnnnn it. Oh well, I've got tons of money (~400k), I guess I'll just fuse the one I made to something else and then refuse Alice. She did have null force though which was nice.

Think the only way you might be able to carry over Die For Me is by using Fusion Lite. Not sure, though. I know I wasn't able to carry it over through normal fusion.

You sound like someone who rejects the Law path. God have mercy on your soul. :(

Haha I think the frowning emoticon is about right given the prospects of God's mercy being anything better than a swift death.

I did like most of the training missions! It was only the last two that bugged me.

duckroll

Finally beat the game. Clear time was about 56-57 hours. Loved the game soooooooo much. I'll probably post more later on when I've had more time to collect my thoughts on the game in general, and if the game doesn't drag me right back for NG+. Certainly one of the best JRPGs I've played this generation, along with Resonance of Fate.

Training 8's dialogue is indeed hilarious, along with several of the other ones. The battle is also really well crafted. I finally beat it yesterday, and it felt so gratifying to have everything come together at last. I still need to figure out 9 and 10.

You must have missed all the complaints on the difficulty and how brutal the dungeons were for most. It also let you select hard from the start if you wanted a little extra kick.

The smirk system is just really stupid. I feel like they only added because they felt like the press-turn system had to have new feature. All it does it make early encounters frustrating.

For most, Nocturne was their first Shin Megami Tensei game. The West also only got the Maniax edition. The original did not have the Labyrinth of Amala or the Fiends. However, the Hard mode was made available by default in Maniax most likely because the default difficulty is higher on the original versus Maniax edition.

daripad

Guys, I don't know how deep I am into the game so I'll spoiler this questions. Maybe Law path spoilers:

I am about to fight Lillith with Jhonatan.

1. She is level 50 and I'm level 43, should I grind some? Is there any weakeness to her? Is she very hard?

2. How much do I have left into the game?

I'm trying to beat the entire game without using a guide (I hate using walkthroughs), so I haven't consulted a guide for this. But I have a question that needs answering:

Do the conversation decisions you make during the boss battles affect your alignment? I'm trying to get Neutral, so I've been answering "Ignore him/her and keep fighting" for Medusa and Minotaur so far. Does that actually make a difference?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm trying to beat the entire game without using a guide (I hate using walkthroughs), so I haven't consulted a guide for this. But I have a question that needs answering:

Do the conversation decisions you make during the boss battles affect your alignment? I'm trying to get Neutral, so I've been answering "Ignore him/her and keep fighting" for Medusa and Minotaur so far. Does that actually make a difference?

As far as I know, the conversations within battles are just to give you / the enemy buffs and debuffs.

Some do, most don't. Those you mentioned just give some positive or negative effect in battle depending on your answers.

Those that effect alignment won't give you the option to ignore them.

thefil

I just finished this one on your recommendation. The dialog was hilarious.

Not a huge fan of the trial and error puzzling though.

thefil

How do you guys choose what demons to make for your party at the end? In Persona 3/4, I would basically just choose the ultimate demons of my favourite social links, but in this one the choices seem overwhelming.

GeekyDad

Guys, I don't know how deep I am into the game so I'll spoiler this questions. Maybe Law path spoilers:

I am about to fight Lillith with Jhonatan.

1. She is level 50 and I'm level 43, should I grind some? Is there any weakeness to her? Is she very hard?

2. How much do I have left into the game?

You should be high enough level. Don't recall her having any weaknesses offhand. I did the Law route last, so I was really OP, using Almighty that lowers stats. But in lieu of that, I would use buffs/debuffs and anything you think might land you a crit.

Hey guys, I am heavily contemplating buying this game...

So I skipped through a video of the first hour of gameplay and it looks like 45 minutes of it was just text. I am all for RPGs and I understand some are text heavy, but I don't want half the game to be reading. So, GAF, is the entire game like this, or does it ease up as you progress?

daripad

Hey guys, I am heavily contemplating buying this game...

So I skipped through a video of the first hour of gameplay and it looks like 45 minutes of it was just text. I am all for RPGs and I understand some are text heavy, but I don't want half the game to be reading. So, GAF, is the entire game like this, or does it ease up as you progress?
It eases up a lot. In fact, you'll miss the text as you progress.

Hylian7

Will there be some obvious sign I have hit the alignment lock? I'm shooting for neutral.

I went with Walter, pressed the button, did the whole desert section, pressed the button again and am in the Chaos version of Tokyo going to kill Kenji.

thefil

I love the fusion app guy. He sounds like he thinks you're the biggest idiot in the world.

"Are you... SURE?"
"What will you do!?"

He's like "how the hell did I get stuck with this tool, I'm better than this".

7threst

I love the fusion app guy. He sounds like he thinks you're the biggest idiot in the world.

"Are you... SURE?"
"What will you do!?"

He's like "how the hell did I get stuck with this tool, I'm better than this".

The guy makes me doubt every time he says 'Are you... sure??'. Then I'l double-check if I really registered the demon before fusion etc..

Will there be some obvious sign I have hit the alignment lock? I'm shooting for neutral.

I went with Walter, pressed the button, did the whole desert section, pressed the button again and am in the Chaos version of Tokyo going to kill Kenji.

You're almost there, and it will be pretty obvious when you get there. You should make sure to save before any upcoming boss fights.

Sallokin

Completion/Alignment question.

Cynical man says I"m "not very polite" and I just completed the section where you find out what Tayama is doing to create the Reds for the demons. Just curious where I'm at with regards to alignment and how long I have left before it's locked in.

GeekyDad

Completion/Alignment question.

Cynical man says I"m "not very polite" and I just completed the section where you find out what Tayama is doing to create the Reds for the demons. Just curious where I'm at with regards to alignment and how long I have left before it's locked in.

Sounds like you're only slightly Chaos, and you've a ways to go.

Question about stats:

I read a lot of opinions that Dex was better than Str. So I've been putting most of my points into Dexterity, Agility, and Luck, while mostly using guns and physical skills like Critical Wave and Stun Needles in battle (and a lot of auto-battle for random fights).

I'm currently level 19 and my current stats are:

St - 22
Dx - 40
Ma - 23
Ag - 30
Lu - 27

Occasionally I put a few points into Strength and Magic, so should I bother spending my Macca on new weapons that aren't guns? I usually like having all the strongest weapons and armor. Also, when I use auto-battle, what is it actually doing? Is everyone just using "attack", meaning is my MC using his sword (power)? I purchased the app "auto-pinpoint" and it doesn't seem like it makes a difference, as all the animations and battle sounds are the same.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Couldn't stop laughing.

Not gonna spoil it, just go do it.

jbueno

Had a huge grin in my face when the Ginza theme from Nocturne (and previous SMT games) began playing. Slowly but surely progressing.

thefil

Is it safe to go to (endgame Law Path spoilers)
Camp Ichigaya
to grind? I need more money to fill out my compendium and the demons in
buffed-up Naraku
are starting to give less experience.

*edit* safe as in won't trigger the end of the game.

Finished my first run (not counting bad), with the Chaos ending.

The lack of grinding in this game was great. The leveling curve seemed incredibly refreshing in comparison to a lot of RPGs.

The world was well realized but the dungeons seemed like an after thought.

Trying to decide whether to do another run for a different ending, or go back to EOIV, a game that makes me care about the dungeons way more than SMTIV did/does.

NeonZ

Is it safe to go to (endgame Law Path spoilers)
Camp Ichigaya
to grind? I need more money to fill out my compendium and the demons in
buffed-up Naraku
are starting to give less experience.

*edit* safe as in won't trigger the end of the game.

Yes, you can always return. There's no lock point in the law route after the route lock itself, aside from the final battle. You can always return from the final dungeon, and entering in camp Ichigaya won't take you to the final dungeon, unless you wish to go there.

It appears that I'm locked into the Neutral path. Which is where I wanted to be.

I've been made aware that I've missed a bunch of stuff in Ginza. How do I get to downtown Ginza?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So my 8yr old was looking over my shoulder and asked what I was playing and I told him.

He said.. are you sure that's not Pokemon.. you keep collecting all those Pokemon.. but they are funny looking.

I said it wasn't Pokemon.. but then I realized.. I was kind of playing Pokemon in a way.

NervousXtian

It appears that I'm locked into the Neutral path. Which is where I wanted to be.

I've been made aware that I've missed a bunch of stuff in Ginza. How do I get to downtown Ginza?

The secret shops? It requires about $110,000 macca and going through poison hallways a few times.

If that's what you want I can be more detailed, but basically
Just start going in each direction and make note of the Silver Coin guy and go back to the Hunter's Shop to get the Black Card quest and return to him.

The secret shops? It requires about $110,000 macca and going through posion hallways a few times.

If that's what you want I can be more detailed, but basically
Just start going in each direction and make note of the Silver Coin guy and go back to the Hunter's Shop to get the Black Card quest and return to him.

I think I'm missing the area in question where it starts. I also have a camera quest that's there, but I haven't found any place with poison hallways.

NervousXtian

I think I'm missing the area in question where it starts. I also have a camera quest that's there, but I haven't found any place with poison hallways.

Because I'll cheat and post from a FAQ:

Obtaining the Black Card
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
You can exit at the south end to reach Tsukiji but there's a bunch of items
in Ginza. Exit at the west end and you'll reach the 4th District Crosswalk.
Leave immediately to the west and enter Harumi Way. You can find three [RELICS]
in this area, two are on the south end and one is at the north. Exit at the
southwest to the dangerous passage.

Southwest Passage
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
You'll take constant Poison damage in this area so make your movements count.
Head around the corner and turn north. Grab the [BATTLE EARRING] then go back
the way you came, no thanks to the Wormwood. Continue east then turn south and
bust the Wormwood to find a chest with a [10-POINT CARD]. Exit this area at the
northeast to reach the Southeast Passage.

Southeast Passage
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Start by going to the northwest corner and grabbing the [4-STAR CLOTHING]. The
man to the north will sell you a Silver Coin but not yet. Head south from here
and climb into the ventilation shaft to reach a [BALM OF RISING] then drop back
down. All the way east is another ventilation shaft that leads to a [BEAD].
There is a Hunter in the middle section of the east path that will sell you a
[GOLD CARD] for 10,000 Macca.

Central Way A
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Return to the 4th District Crosswalk and head south. A Gaea Woman will charge
you 50,000 Macca and need to see your Gold Card in order for you to pass. There
is a [RELIC] to your immediate right, snag it and head south to another. Turn
east from here and climb the ladder to find a [CHAKRA POT] then jump back down.
Stay the course south and check the Kabuki Theatre for some [2-STAR DOCUMENTS].
Climb the ladder to the south and obtain the [PLATINUM CARD] then acquire
another [RELIC] before leaving this area. Return to the Hunter's Association in
Ginza now to pick up a Challenge Quest:

[552] I Will Give You My Black Card

You can finish this by going back to the Southeast Passage and purchasing the
[SILVER COIN] for 100,000 Macca and returning. Head back out to the 4th District
Crosswalk.

4th District Crosswalk
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Check the shop on the corner to the east for some [3-STAR COSMETICS] then turn
north. You can't enter this area yet but you can grab the [2-STAR COSMETICS]
from the Hunter Remains. Move east now to find [3-STAR CLOTHING] at the shop.
Go south across the stree to another shop with a [RELIC]. Go east now with your
[PLATINUM CARD] to reach Harumi Way B.

Harumi Way B
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
The Appolo Store to the north has a [5-STAR GADGET]. There is another store
to the east and a pile of rubble to check for [RELICS]. On your way back you
can check another shop for some [4-STAR CLOTHING]. Head back to the north area
of 4th District Crosswalk if you have the [BLACK CARD] to get access to Central
Way B.

Central Way B
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
This is a small little area where you can snag [4-STAR CLOTHING] from the
shops at the west end. Cross back to the east and snag the [MESSIAH's TEAR] from
the Hunter Remains. The store on the east side has a [5-STAR CLOTHING] and now
you can exit at the west.

Shopping District
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
This is a much larger area than the last. Start by going north and checking
the room along the west edge of this path. Crack the Wormwood around the corner
and check the ground for [4-STAR FOOD]. Continue through another Wormwood then
north to the VIP Club for a [RELIC]. There is a taxi with [4-STAR COSMETIC]
ahead, you can start to go south from there. There is a shop here to your south
that sells some fine wares but they are pretty expensive. To the south is
another [RELIC] and west is another shop. You can find Dionysus in the north
west corner if you have the quest to defeat here.

..but that will get you through it.

Basically start by going
EAST at the big rock place.

Varna

This will teach me to not pay attention...

So I got locked into neutral and now I am at the point were
suppose to enter the Diety of Tokyo's name. I don't recall it all all... started with an M though
. What was it again?

This will teach me to not pay attention...

So I got locked into neutral and now I am at the point were
suppose to enter the Diety of Tokyo's name. I don't recall it all all... started with an M though
. What was it again?

Masakado, gave me so much trouble trying to recall the name I only heard once.

Top Bottom