• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Caladrius

What is the recommended level to beat
Lucy
in the Law Path ? I want to finish the game to go Neutral right away...

About 75 will do it as long as you have a good team of demons.

If you can keep her alive, Alice is a good healer due to her immunity to status ailments, especially with either salvation (found on the lv. 69 special fusion Mahamayuri, has to be chain-fused to get it to one of Alice's ingredients) or healing knowhow. Debilitate also takes the edge off of the boss's attacks I used a makarakarn user and a Fafnir alongside her.Fafnir absorbs phys but is weak to ice and elec.

cj_iwakura

Boss question:
Omoikane

How the fuck do you beat the bullshit that is just "LOL HEAL MYSELF FOR 4500HP WHEN I'M LOW!" There's no way, I don't have the stuff to last this long in the battle. He's done it three fucking times and was in the red every time. Yes, I found his weakeness and was Agi-blasting him the whole damn time, and he is just all "LOL 4500HP HEAL! FUCK YOU!"

War Cry/Tarukaja. If you have enough Agi users, he'll be dead in two turns before he can even THINK of healing.

barrin87

Fuck, I am really considering quitting this game. These requirements for the neutral path suck. My current demons are really starting to not cut it either and I really don't know if I want to figure out what the good demons are to create.

BlackJace

They're hints that lead to some conclusions, but they aren't really spelled out. There's more information you can get by talking to npcs, but you won't find a single person putting the entire scenario together.

Blasted and Infernal Tokyo are parallel worlds and you can even return to them later as long as you aren't in the law route, they diverge from Underground Tokyo in the event from 25 years ago where Tokyo was covered by the ceiling. In Blasted Tokyo, there was no ceiling, so it was nuked. In Infernal Tokyo, the angels were defeated and the demons quickly spread around.

In the main timeline, Tokyo was protected by a barrier and put underground due to it, but everything around it was nuked. Mikado was build by God's chosen ones who were taken from Tokyo before that in cocoons (In Infernal Tokyo, the angels that took care of the cocoons were killed and so the people inside the cocoons died too) and 1500 years passed since then, so the crates of the nukes became lakes and you've got modern Mikado. Akira (who became known as "Aquilla" in later years) wasn't among God's chosen people, but he fought through the Sky tower and Naraku and managed to get to Mikado and become its king. This version of Akira seems pretty similar to the one in Blasted Tokyo, having similar plans for the future, but they aren't the same. Blasted Tokyo Akira obviously never had to climb any towers to leave Tokyo behind and go after his sister. In spite of that, what he talks about creating seems very similar to the actual Mikado.

In the main timeline, it seems like Tokyo's timeflow was slowed down. So, although 1500 years passed outside of the dome in Tokyo, it had been only 25 years since then, which is why Aquilla was just a distant historical figure. Jonathan and Walter having different descriptions about the events before the button suggest that they come from parallel worlds. At least, the one that wasn't accompanied by Flynn seems to have come from a parallel world where Flynn took the opposite actions.

Edit:

Regarding the timeflow, it's not made clear if it's Mikado or Tokyo which has a wrong timeflow, but you can see even in the Neutral ending, where Mikado is destroyed, that the surrounding environment around the city seem more similar to Mikado than Tokyo, so I'd say that Tokyo is the anomaly. Either way, there are some npcs that comment on the odd timeflow, like a samurai who you can see in the castle who says that his son seemed older than he be after he returned from a quest in Tokyo. There doesn't seem to be any definite statement on the nature of origin of the different timeflows though.

Good analysis. I have a few questions though.

So, who nuked Tokyo? The other nations of the world? Is the rest of the world blasted?

My last point of inquiry is whether the goddess of Tokyo was indeed Borroughs.

Fuck, I am really considering quitting this game. These requirements for the neutral path suck. My current demons are really starting to not cut it either and I really don't know if I want to figure out what the good demons are to create.

While there are some "good demons" that start with helpful resistances and good skills, bear in mind that 90% of what goes into making an effective demon (and a balanced party) is up to you. You don't have to hit on one magical fusion. Experiment a little. Try to pass down good skills (especially "null ____"). Until pretty late in the game, it's also a good idea to have at least two demons with each elemental spell (so two with Bufu___, two with Agi___, etc.) so you can reconfigure your party to hammer an enemy's weakness and take lots of extra turns. Later on there are fewer enemies with weaknesses, and it's more important that your demons be able to support the MC by buffing, debuffing, and healing.

BlackJace

Given who nuked Tokyo in SMTI...

And one of the NPCs in Blasted Tokyo also mentions that China and America probably have "their own problems" to worry about.

So I'm guessing that means the spread of the demon outbreak led to nuclear armageddon?
Damn, what a bleaker reality than I initially thought.

NeonZ

Good analysis. I have a few questions though.

So, who nuked Tokyo? The other nations of the world? Is the rest of the world blasted?

According to a npc in the
Blasted Tokyo, the rest of the world likely is facing problems similar to Japan's. The situation in the rest of the world isn't mentioned in the other timelines.

The initial set up for SMT IV's backstory seems to follow the beginning of the story of the original SMT -
demons are released due to experiment, devil summoning program uploaded to the net, Japan nuked to contain that demons, but that just leads to more nukes worldwide. Although all possible outcomes after the nuke in SMT4 are very different from what happens in SMT 1. Mido and Stephen are SMT 1 characters, all the others are new.

My last point of inquiry is
whether the goddess of Tokyo was indeed Borroughs.

She's identical to Burroughs, but Burroughs wasn't an unique entity, and each samurai had their own Burroughs AI, so, it's more likely that Burroughs was an AI based on the goddess, created by the Counter Demon Force from Tokyo (Burroughs seems to be familiar with their base, and the training programs mention enlisting with them).

BlackJace

According to a npc in the
Blasted Tokyo, the rest of the world likely is facing problems similar to Japan's. The situation in the rest of the world isn't mentioned in the other timelines.

The initial set up for SMT IV's backstory seems to follow the beginning of the story of the original SMT -
demons are released due to experiment, devil summoning program uploaded to the net, Japan nuked to contain that demons, but that just leads to more nukes worldwide. Although all possible outcomes after the nuke in SMT4 are very different from what happens in SMT 1. Mido and Stephen are SMT 1 characters, all the others are new.

She's identical to Burroughs, but Burroughs wasn't an unique entity, and each samurai had their own Burroughs AI, so, it's more likely that Burroughs was an AI based on the goddess, created by the Counter Demon Force from Tokyo (Burroughs seems to be familiar with their base, and the training programs mention enlisting with them).

Fascinating. I really hope an artbook or something in the future expands on the lore, I'd cop it in an instant.

Thanks a lot!

Mozendo

Hey, so I've been grinding for quite a while and done a bit of exploring once I reached Shinjuku.

And I'm wondering if anyone recommends I do things differently from the guide.

Honestly, I don't even want to follow the guide fully due the guide suggesting I do the Dance of the Dead challange quest after the
Medusa
boss battle. Luckily for me I already done the quest before. Not only that but the guide suggesting doing the Hunter tournaments before Shinjuku is very very odd.

Totakeke

Finished neutral after 65 hours. The endgame is kind of a
letdown I thought. The dungeons were ho-hum and after spending so much time doing challenge quests, it didn't feel like the final dungeons and bosses were satisfying enough leading to the ending.

BlackJace

Finished neutral after 65 hours. The endgame is kind of a
letdown I thought. The dungeons were ho-hum and after spending so much time doing challenge quests, it didn't feel like the final dungeons and bosses were satisfying enough leading to the ending.
I wish they went into more detail about
Jonathan and Walter's transformations. It all seemed very rushed.

"Oh hey, MC, I'm with Merkabah/Lucifer now, sorry you don't understand our vision, die now please".

Also, Lucifer was such a pushover. One of the easiest bosses in the game.

Totakeke

I wish they went into more detail about
Jonathan and Walter's transformations. It all seemed very rushed.

"Oh hey, MC, I'm with Merkabah/Lucifer now, sorry you don't understand our vision, die now please".

Also, Lucifer was such a pushover. One of the easiest bosses in the game.

Yeah, I agree. I was also expecting
another big showdown with God or something right before the final meeting at the cafe, but nope, that's it.

Oh I also don't like how they threw away all the other characters. What happened to Hikaru (on other paths I know, don't tell me), what happened to Gabby? What happened to the other angels? It all just feels rushed.

BlackJace

another big showdown with God or something right before the final meeting at the cafe, but nope, that's it.

Oh man, me too. Clearly they ran out of steam and couldn't be bothered to make one more fight.
Still a brilliant game though.

thefil

What is the point of the [endgame optional boss spoilers]
Mastema
etc bosses? If I don't get lucky and get first hit on him, he opens up with 2+ Megidolaons. I have to keep resetting until I get first hit, at which point he will never use that spell again unless I attempt to "cheese" him with Makarakarn.

I *almost* get the anti-cheese super-spells, but why make the boss insta-kill you on a 50/50 roll at the start of the battle?

So I found the Ginza shop...how the fuck can anyone afford this? Ive never had more than the 100k Macca I needed to get in, and a full set from here would cost over a million. Fundraiser+ only gives me a few hundred Macca a shot. Am I missing something?

ohlawd

So I found the Ginza shop...how the fuck can anyone afford this? Ive never had more than the 100k Macca I needed to get in, and a full set from here would cost over a million. Fundraiser+ only gives me a few hundred Macca a shot. Am I missing something?
Money DLC.

Killiing mobs drops items that sell for 1k, 5k, and/or 10k.

Scout Gift and selling off excess amounts of items that you'll probably never use until late game (Bead Chains, Chakra pots, Summon Stones, element stones etc)

ohlawd

yeh damn, items like those are good for selling too. The game throws you a lot of Summon Stones, Beads of Life, etc. Those give you 10k each I believe.

I was getting tired of opening chests at some point cuz I know it'll be another Bead or Chakra Drop -_-

Dresden

Late-game relics go for quite a bit. There are two terminals which open up to rooms filled with respawning relic points. Ginza itself is full of rank 4~5 relics.

yeh damn, items like those are good for selling too. The game throws you a lot of Summon Stones, Beads of Life, etc. Those give you 10k each I believe.

I was getting tired of opening chests at some point cuz I know it'll be another Bead or Chakra Drop -_-

I was thinking that as well but I always convinced myself that it could be a random incense or a point card. If not then I always sell off 1-2 or 3-4 of above items depending on what the limit is just in case I actually have to use it (e.g. Lord of the Flies battle)

Scout Gift and selling off excess amounts of items that you'll probably never use until late game (Bead Chains, Chakra pots, Summon Stones, element stones etc)

Is Scout Gift really that good? Well, I'll finish it off and grab Fundraiser Expert, no use going half ass. After that I'll focus on the scount skills and all.

thefil

Man, after giving up on that boss, spend half an hour in Ginza and get hit with Wastrel Beam at 250k macca. This game wants me to destroy my DS.

Is Scout Gift really that good? Well, I'll finish it off and grab Fundraiser Expert, no use going half ass. After that I'll focus on the scount skills and all.

I got it very early in the game and they almost always hand out macca every time. Add constantly recruiting demons into your party after multiple fusions and Scout+ (gets a higher lv demon you just recruited to recruit a lower lv on the field with no effort on your part) and the money adds up quickly. You won't be rich like Scrooge McDuck, but you won't have to worry also much about being broke all the time

vall03

The RNG goddess hates me. I was wondering why I easily found Chemtrail in less than 30 mins, and now, its almost 3 hours and I still can't find Matador. Why?!

Varna

Really disappointing how the challenge just goes to hell during the second half of the game. Pretty much have just been casting Arrow Blast/Javelin Rain for normal encounters and debilitate for boss fights. Demons covering the rest of course. EXP rates skyrocket too. I went form 52~63 in just a couple of hours... crazy. Sure I missed tons of demons to fuse but really there was no point. I'm already OP as hell.

Nocturne/DDS kept the initial tension all the way through with it's combat. I'm honestly having trouble staying motivated to finish at this point.

EDIT: Boss fights have been pretty much a joke since activating the
reactor
. Tons of demons have full party heals at this point.

Nocturne/DDS kept the initial tension all the way through with it's combat. I'm honestly having trouble staying motivated to finish at this point.

No, it really didn't (In Nocturne at least, every boss including Lucifer was pretty much a joke and normal battles were piss easy throughout)

Bogeypop

What demon can complete Team Moe? Alice, Nadja, and...?

Mara.

tumblr_mjzr6ijpox1ritjnyo1_400.gif

Oh man, me too. Clearly they ran out of steam and couldn't be bothered to make one more fight.
Still a brilliant game though.

No, the entire game is a tribute to SMT1, SMT1 ends the exact same way. Not saying it was the right choice, but there is at least a reason for it.

Varna

Finish it and go expert on a different route dude.

This just pisses me off. It should have been an option at the start. Nocturne had it. :(

No, it really didn't (In Nocturne at least, every boss including Lucifer was pretty much a joke and normal battles were piss easy throughout)

You must have missed all the complaints on the difficulty and how brutal the dungeons were for most. It also let you select hard from the start if you wanted a little extra kick.

The smirk system is just really stupid. I feel like they only added because they felt like the press-turn system had to have new feature. All it does it make early encounters frustrating.

Just beat the game on Neutral Path.

It was decent. I've only played Nocturne and SJ of the main SMT series and I think both of them are considerably better games than SMT4. However I did have a lot of fun with this in parts.

The final roadblock was utter bullshit and I wasn't prepared for it. The game took a grinding halt for 6-7 hours. Absolutely horrible design decision.

Other than that it was fun overall. Good entry to the series.

NeonZ

Oh I also don't like how they threw away all the other characters. What happened to Hikaru (on other paths I know, don't tell me), what happened to Gabby? What happened to the other angels? It all just feels rushed.

Like you say there, the end game pretty much divides events between the routes, so you never really get a complete story in any route. Some people try to champion neutral as the "complete" route, but even there you still get the two factions you're fighting against completely sidelined.

Top Bottom