• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, cool. I finally can start the game today.

But it's been so long since it came out. Now I'm distracted by other stuff I might want to play.

Someone convince me to start this.

So I took a 2 day break from this because I didn't want to get burnt out. I'm ready to head back in.

Late game neutral spoilers:
I doing the part where I need to be the #1 hunter and bring hope to Tokyo. I have to do side quests to achieve this. Is there a list online of the required sidequests to complete?

Anyone? :(

I personaly love his design.

He's not your bishie / or lovable demon like in previous games. He's now this incomprehensible monster, like he should be. Supposedly because he's been weakened, and probably because the fusion wasn't a smooth process.

I kind of liked how his arm had a gross looking growth with a blue scarf. Heh, guess Walter is Lucifer's right hand man, literally. :p

I personaly love his design.

He's not your bishie / or lovable demon like in previous games. He's now this incomprehensible monster, like he should be. Supposedly because he's been weakened, and probably because the fusion wasn't a smooth process.

I like his
second form
way more but I really dislike how is drawed. Many of the new designs are actually cool in context of this game, but the angel stuff should have been redrwed by the main artist, if the promotional art is anything to go by that redesigns work why better with him.

NeonZ

I like his
second form
way more but I really dislike how is drawed. Many of the new designs are actually cool in context of this game, but the angel stuff should have been redrwed by the main artist, if the promotional art is anything to go by that redesigns work why better with him.

They didn't even get the main artist to draw portraits for every human character though. Nozomi having no portrait was disappointing... SMT 4 seems weirdly conservative with the amount of new artwork.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just encountered this Nozomi character I kept hearing about. I didn't do the film quest during my first time, so I'm excited to see what happens with her.

Poyunch

Just noticed that your save file shows what path you've completed for NG+. I guess if I want to be a completionist I'll have to do all the paths on one save file just for that sweet sweet save.

KarmaCow

So I'm past what I assume is the alignment lock and I have a few questions.

Was there anything good I missed in Blasted and Infernal Tokyo? I avoided sidequests to keep my neutral alignment.

Is there another point of no return and is it clearly marked? I started to skip sidequests to both keep my alignment and move on with the game but I'd like to do some of them now. Are there any points of interest before the end-end game?

Is it feasible to actually get stuff in the Ginza Secret Shop? The most money I've ever had at one time is 150k and that's with some significant hording.

coopolon

How do I get to the Sendagaya tunnel? I go north from Shibuya, the guys tells me its farther ahead, I clear the Hirajuku Police Headquarters domain, and keep going till I hit a dead end. Looking at maps it looks like its supposed to be there, but I'm not seeing anything.

NeonZ

Is there another point of no return and is it clearly marked? I started to skip sidequests to both keep my alignment and move on with the game but I'd like to do some of them now. Are there any points of interest before the end-end game?

The next points of no return are basically beating the next two big story bosses. You'll know them when you're about to fight against them. If you're neutral, you'll need to do a bunch of sidequests before advancing the story anyway...

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How do I get to the Sendagaya tunnel? I go north from Shibuya, the guys tells me its farther ahead, I clear the Hirajuku Police Headquarters domain, and keep going till I hit a dead end. Looking at maps it looks like its supposed to be there, but I'm not seeing anything.

It should be just next (north) to the Police Headquarters where you fight against Demonee-ho.

Varna

I'm guessing I'm later parts of the game
. I've gone through the reactor twice and it looks like I am in the chaos version of Tokyo
. Is there any hints on what ending you are getting at this point? I was neutral before this whole segment starter.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm guessing I'm later parts of the game
. I've gone through the reactor twice and it looks like I am in the chaos version of Tokyo
. Is there any hints on what ending you are getting at this point? I was neutral before this whole segment starter.

You'll find out in the next 1-2 hours.

I finally finished my first playthrough on neutral and what a damn fine game this is. I'm gonna start new game plus and probably go through the chaos route.

barrin87

Does anyone have any recommendations for the "Great Spirit of Tokyo" quest? I can't seem to get to rank 1 with it. I just turned in two delivery quests and I dropped from rank 7 to rank 10.

GeekyDad

So I'm past what I assume is the alignment lock and I have a few questions.

Was there anything good I missed in Blasted and Infernal Tokyo? I avoided sidequests to keep my neutral alignment.

Is it feasible to actually get stuff in the Ginza Secret Shop? The most money I've ever had at one time is 150k and that's with some significant hording.

1. You will get a chance to go back if you choose.
  2. There is another point, yes, but it's after defeating the final boss(es), depending on the path you're on.
  3. With the macca DLC it is, yes. Without it? Good luck...

Just beat the game on the first time on Neutral. I really enjoyed the game, with the only real problem I had was the world map design. I had a few story related questions though.

I am very confused about all the details mentioned about the Kingdom of Mikado and its history. When you go to Blasted Tokyo, the game heavily implies that Akira is the Aquila of legend and the various lakes of Mikado are a result of all the craters. I found this very cool but how the hell does this make sense based off what we already know about the kingdom? Where does the Infernal Tokyo fit in all this? Also, what was the deal about both Jonathan and Walter saying you helped them either slay Lilith or fighting your way through Camp Ichigaya? How is this possible?

Is this stuff answered in either the Law or Chaos routes or is it just something you just have to dig for?

GeekyDad

Just beat the game on the first time on Neutral. I really enjoyed the game, with the only real problem I had was the world map design. I had a few story related questions though.

I am very confused about all the details mentioned about the Kingdom of Mikado and its history. When you go to Blasted Tokyo, the game heavily implies that Akira is the Aquila of legend and the various lakes of Mikado are a result of all the craters. I found this very cool but how the hell does this make sense based off what we already know about the kingdom? Where does the Infernal Tokyo fit in all this? Also, what was the deal about both Jonathan and Walter saying you helped them either slay Lilith or fighting your way through Camp Ichigaya? How is this possible?

Is this stuff answered in either the Law or Chaos routes or is it just something you just have to dig for?

The theories I've been reading on GameFAQs suggest time passes much faster in Mikado than in Tokyo due to some machinations of the archangels. It's supposedly alluded to throughout the game, but having played all three routes now, I musta missed those bits. I'm playing a fourth time now just to do the bad ending, so I'll look out for those.

As for the issue of action regarding Walter and Jonathan, The White seem to explain that. There are multiple universes in which your actions are different and, in turn, the results are different. They give you a taste of two of those possible worlds. Of course, Akira's last words to you in Blasted Tokyo suggest some sort of time loop as well, so...who knows. It's an interesting tidbit to naw on.

NeonZ

There are hints that lead to some conclusions, but they aren't really spelled out. There's more information you can get by talking to npcs, but you won't find a single person putting the entire scenario together.

Blasted and Infernal Tokyo are parallel worlds and you can even return to them later as long as you aren't in the law route, they diverge from Underground Tokyo in the event from 25 years ago where Tokyo was covered by the ceiling. In Blasted Tokyo, there was no ceiling, so it was nuked. In Infernal Tokyo, the angels were defeated and the demons quickly spread around.

In the main timeline, Tokyo was protected by a barrier and put underground due to it, but everything around it was nuked. Mikado was build by God's chosen ones who were taken from Tokyo before that in cocoons (In Infernal Tokyo, the angels that took care of the cocoons were killed and so the people inside the cocoons died too) and 1500 years passed since then, so the crates of the nukes became lakes and you've got modern Mikado. Akira (who became known as "Aquilla" in later years) wasn't among God's chosen people, but he fought through the Sky tower and Naraku and managed to get to Mikado and become its king. This version of Akira seems pretty similar to the one in Blasted Tokyo, having similar plans for the future, but they aren't the same. Blasted Tokyo Akira obviously never had to climb any towers to leave Tokyo behind and go after his sister. In spite of that, what he talks about creating seems very similar to the actual Mikado.

In the main timeline, it seems like Tokyo's timeflow was slowed down. So, although 1500 years passed outside of the dome in Tokyo, it had been only 25 years since then, which is why Aquilla was just a distant historical figure. Jonathan and Walter having different descriptions about the events before the button suggest that they come from parallel worlds. At least, the one that wasn't accompanied by Flynn seems to have come from a parallel world where Flynn took the opposite actions.

Edit:

Regarding the timeflow, it's not made clear if it's Mikado or Tokyo which has a wrong timeflow, but you can see even in the Neutral ending, where Mikado is destroyed, that the surrounding environment around the city seem more similar to Mikado than Tokyo, so I'd say that Tokyo is the anomaly. Either way, there are some npcs that comment on the odd timeflow, like a samurai who you can see in the castle who says that his son seemed older than he should be after he returned from a quest in Tokyo. There doesn't seem to be any definite statement on the nature or origin of the different timeflows though.

If everything alive on your team resists either their physical or elemental attacks then the optional bosses will switch to cruel patterns. Likewise they tend to be mean if you debuff them past -2 or buff yourself past +2 as well. Basically you want to have 1 demon who repels or drains , and a dummy with a lot of HP who is neutral, as long as your healer can keep the dummy alive the bosses will keep behaving dumb and wasting turns. At least until you get them to low HP when they will probably start being cheap again.

Got it and the plan worked great, it took a good 10 minutes filled with healing, buff/debuffing, and concentrated Megidolans from my demons but it was very satisfying once I pulled a 2k damage final blow with my MC. Didn't think concentrate would help me that immensely.

Now to find that Yasakani Magatama.

Hylian7

Boss question:
Omoikane

How the fuck do you beat the bullshit that is just "LOL HEAL MYSELF FOR 4500HP WHEN I'M LOW!" There's no way, I don't have the stuff to last this long in the battle. He's done it three fucking times and was in the red every time. Yes, I found his weakeness and was Agi-blasting him the whole damn time, and he is just all "LOL 4500HP HEAL! FUCK YOU!"

MechaX

Oh man, for as long as Atlus has been making games, I am genuinely surprised that they thought this one segment in the Neutral route end-game would fly in any RPG. This is probably one of the biggest recent examples of letting your game hit a brick wall in terms of pacing at full speed.
I spent almost the entire day just clearing off quests, and I still have NPC shit to do. Plus, I question their decision to essentially make beating Beelzebub mandatory, since all that did was provoke me to get level 90 demons and curbstomp him.

ohlawd

Oh man, for as long as Atlus has been making games, I am genuinely surprised that they thought this one segment in the Neutral route end-game would fly in any RPG. This is probably one of the biggest recent examples of letting your game hit a brick wall in terms of pacing at full speed.
I spent almost the entire day just clearing off quests, and I still have NPC shit to do. Plus, I question their decision to essentially make beating Beelzebub mandatory, since all that did was provoke me to get level 90 demons and curbstomp him.

Beelzebub isn't mandatory. Only the 1st quest of the Red Knight storyline was necessary to progress

100% agree.
Side quests should be SIDE quests.

GeekyDad

What!? I don't even have half these quests. This part of the game is super annoying. Why force me to play side quests?

Though they're categorized as side quests, I wouldn't really consider them such. The
Amaterasu one, for example, lands you the air ship, and the Nozomi side quests are full of story and a new (albeit minor) mechanic.

Couldn't agree...less. I think it was a great way to let the experience breathe a bit after the
Monochrome Forest.
The game becomes a complete sandbox experience for a short while, and then you're brought back online with the
final two dungeons.
I loved it.

PK Gaming

Finally...

NEUTRAL PATH GET, BABY ♪

Since I only had one save file (my bro is using the other one) I went through 3-4 hours of gameplay without saving.

Now that I'm past the alignment lock, it seems like a bunch of cool sidequests have opened up (I'm on the Chaos route). I just spent several hours doing quests, and some of them were really damn good.

I especially enjoyed the Fairy related quest.
The Fairies are awesome in general, and it was an unexpected place to take Nozomi's character. She was a really enjoyable character across all of her quests.

At this rate, it might be awhile before I start touching the main story again. I'd like to at least finish off a few more quests.

thefil

Question: am I locked into the law path now? I am past the monochrome forest and
picked "maintain the status quo". Jonathan has martyred himself to fuse with the angels
. I sided with chaos a lot in the first part of the game leading up to the reactor so I figured doing law in that decision would balance me out, but it seems likely I ended up past neutral?

*edit*: oh god, I'm sorry. I hope nobody saw that before I fixed the tags.

Question: am I locked into the law path now? I am past the monochrome forest and
picked "maintain the status quo". Jonathan has martyred himself to fuse with the angels
. I sided with chaos a lot in the first part of the game leading up to the reactor so I figured doing law in that decision would balance me out, but it seems likely I ended up past neutral?

Yep, you're in the lawful path.

thefil

Yep, you're in the lawful path.

Oh well. When I was chaos, it made chaos sound like an awful outcome. Now that I'm law, it feels like the awful outcome.

Another question: Is the demon in Kiccigiorgi forest in the law path (challenge quest from K) one of the optional bosses that cheats depending on your party/moves? He seemed fine in the first volley, but spammed almighty attacks in the second round when I used Makarakarn.

*edit* Looks like it. I killed him just fine without him using any almighty attacks.

PK Gaming

What is the recommended level to beat
Lucy
in the Law Path ? I want to finish the game to go Neutral right away...

The 60-70 level range should do the trick. Remember a proper setup trumps hard levels any day of the week. I recommend you wear an item that nulls confusion, as his spams a move that causes it

Top Bottom