• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I was thinking of playing this in a survivalist way in the future. No fusion or upgrading Burroughs. Can only negotiate and such. No items to revive demons, may only rely on demon spells. Maybe even if a demon is killed in battle, thats it for that demon. I am thinking of more ideas for this. Sounds like those hardcore pokemon runs lol.

Let me know how the sanity goes ; )

So, can you just not fuse anything good once you're in the 80s?

I just finished
Purgatorium
on the Neutral route, and I want some new mons. I can fuse up to level 92 guys! I want some new demons!

Before anyone links me to that SMT fusion tool, I'm at work and it doesn't work. :( I'm just wondering if there's a specific demon I need to fuse or look for that might unlock something higher level than 83.

to be clear i meant within your party also what does it mean when you have a skill that's +1 (ex. bufu+1) how does that happen

Whenever your demons whisper skills which you already have on your MC, they automatically get a +1 (up to +8 total). There was an explanation posted earlier in the thread, but basically it can decrease the MP cost slightly and do slightly more damage (24 additional points at +8).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
to be clear i meant within your party also what does it mean when you have a skill that's +1 (ex. bufu+1) how does that happen

Agility affects the battle order. MC always has gone first me though, I don't know if that is default or because of the amount of Agility I put into him.

If you do the demon whisper to gain new skills after a demon has gained all of their skills, if they have a skill you already have it adds a +1 to your skill. Overtime it makes the skill cheaper to use and I believe it makes the skill more powerful the more you get. Each skill has a max +'s it can get.

Edit: Didn't know there was another page already lol.

ElFly

Bros, someone help me with Medusa.

She plain old kills my party on her first turn. Do I need to grind more,don't I.

Any tips? I am grinding around her area.

KarmaCow

So I got the alignment lock. I can choose either Law or Chaos, but nothing I can do gets me on neutral. what am I missing?

Maybe you somehow are
exactly neutral when you beat Kenji and were asked about the status quo? I think neutral spans from -9 to +9 and the choice either gives +/- 10.

I think I unexpectedly stumbled into the neutral route. After the forest area of Infernal Tokyo I can't go to Mikado OR Yamato. Am I neutral?

Did you
meet Stephen in the forest after beating Kenji? Then yea, you're neutral.

If you want to know where to go,
you need to go to Cafe Florida in Shinjuku to meet up with Fujiwara and Skins.

Maybe you somehow are
exactly neutral when you beat Kenji and were asked about the status quo? I think neutral spans from -9 to +9 and the choice either gives +/- 10.

Ah, actually, it seems you need to complete certain challenge quests to get the ability to go Neutral. I have not seen these before. Well, some of em.

Hylian7

Fuck. This. Game.

I am STILL stuck on the same boss (
King Kenji
).

I have demons with Tetrakarn and Makarakarn, I do great until I get to the point where he throws out the "LOL FUCK YOU HERE'S EVERY AILMENT AT ONCE, ENJOY NOT DOING ANYTHING WHILE I MEGIDOLA YOUR WHOLE PARTY!"

I need some super demon with Makarakarn, Tetrakarn, and resistance to every single ailmen...fuck. that. noise.

Fuck you,
Shodan from System Shock 2

Einbroch

Banned
Fuck. This. Game.

King Kenji
).

I have demons with Tetrakarn and Makarakarn, I do great until I get to the point where he throws out the "LOL FUCK YOU HERE'S EVERY AILMENT AT ONCE, ENJOY NOT DOING ANYTHING WHILE I MEGIDOLA YOUR WHOLE PARTY!"

I need some super demon with Makarakarn, Tetrakarn, and resistance to every single ailmen...fuck. that. noise.

Fuck you,
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if someone throws out an attack with multiple ailments, if you have immunity to one of those ailments you have immunity to all the ailments in that attack.

Dunno if that helps, but someone was talking about it earlier (I think Duckroll was).

Hylian7

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if someone throws out an attack with multiple ailments, if you have immunity to one of those ailments you have immunity to all the ailments in that attack.

Dunno if that helps, but someone was talking about it earlier (I think Duckroll was).

I did not know that, but how do I search for a demon with ailment resistance in fusion search?

Hylian7

So....I just finished the game...?

I destroyed the Yamato reactor, since that seemed like the neutral ending, creating the black hole that made everything disappear in the world. Credits rolling now, or is it going to go "just kidding"? Or is this a "bad" ending or something?

Dresden

So....I just finished the game...?

I destroyed the Yamato reactor, since that seemed like the neutral ending, creating the black hole that made everything disappear in the world. Credits rolling now, or is it going to go "just kidding"? Or is this a "bad" ending or something?

You got the bad ending. Reload, choose the other option, and keep going.

randomkid

Yeah I've played this game every day for the last week. I don't remember the last time that ever happened with a videogame.

I've started jotting down every new SMT reference I come across in a Google Doc like a big dork. Deciding to beat them all this year was the best decision ever.

Every song in this game makes me want to write a five paragraph essay.

Tokyo World Map Theme: Paean for a Troubled Genre
Item Shop Music: Triumph of the Vocoder
Etc.

Artemisia

Banned
And now it's going to take me another week to get lucky on one attempt and get past this boss...

Find a demon with Null Mind or Null Nerve. Ancient Curse will be blocked on that demon and he will lose some turns. He also spams phys and gun skills so a demon with tetrakarn will help greatly. Reflecting an attack will automatically end his turn.

Tripon

So I got this game about a week ago, casually playing, blindly following Law until I realized that Law was shit, and was able to get Neutral locked in by furiously acting like a Chaotic asshole during the last viable choices.

Somehow, I put in 75 hours in. I don't know how, and I don't remember putting in those hours, other than apparently spending 15 hours in the fusion chambers.

This game is a time sink.

JEKKI

is Mikado supposed to be some kinda metaphor for like corrupt government divide and Obama administration or something?

coz I realized one of the rooms is called "Barracks" and in general the ministry appears to be so high and mighty compared to the lower world.

Tripon

is Mikado supposed to be some kinda metaphor for like corrupt government divide and Obama administration or something?

coz I realized one of the rooms is called "Barracks" and in general the ministry appears to be so high and mighty compared to the lower world.

Barracks is a general term for military housing.

Soriku

Just beat the final boss of the Neutral route, but the game doesn't end till you go to a certain place so right now I'm just wrapping up the remaining the Challenge Quests I can do using this FAQ. Currently up to 95 completed at 64+ hours.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I jut started my second run and a lot of the early stuff is making more sense. For example, in the intro the when
you're flying through the sky in a white attire then get donned in the samurai garb while being spoken to by Masakado. Also, the locations you meet Walter and Joanathan in suddenly fits the context of Blasted and Infernal Tokyo.

Find a demon with Null Mind or Null Nerve. Ancient Curse will be blocked on that demon and he will lose some turns. He also spams phys and gun skills so a demon with tetrakarn will help greatly. Reflecting an attack will automatically end his turn.

Or just equip an ailment Null'ing accessory corresponding to one of the effects the boss' attack puts on you.

Soulhouf

Fuck. This. Game.

King Kenji
).

Fuck you,

Having Mahamayuri made the fight very manageable for me. You unlock him just before that fight. The game is trying to tell you something I guess.

In addition that demon is beautiful and you'll probably keep him to the end <3

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
^ I stole your smirk.
9ESm3VV.png

Tripon

Having Mahamayuri made the fight very manageable for me. You unlock him just before that fight. The game is trying to tell you something I guess.

In addition that demon is beautiful and you'll probably keep him to the end <3

Alice is probably the best demon, if I have to be honest. Ailment res is huge end game.

Top Bottom