• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Soulhouf

Alice is probably the best demon, if I have to be honest. Ailment res is huge end game.

Right, Alice is OP because of that but I'm getting sick of her being so strong in every game.
Mahamayuri has "Null Nerve", which is more than enough with Salvation, and you'll probably get a better skill set without much effort.

Soriku

Beat the game on Neutral with 96 Challenge Quests completed at 65+ hours. Solid ending, and pretty great game overall. I think I like it as much or a bit better than Nocturne. It's a good-looking game (even with the clash of 2D/3D. Battle sprites and portraits were pretty detailed I thought which was good.), had great music (Ryota Koduka isn't that well known of a composer but he's really talented), fun combat, and the story was better than I was expecting.

I thought the game had some pretty good sidequests, and several are voiced which is a plus. The Whisper system is a good addition and should be in future games. The Smirk system felt somewhat minor to me but was a good addition to the combat as well.

Unlike Nocturne which had you go through dungeons or dungeon-esque areas, a lot of SMT IV's areas are exploring the cities in Tokyo like fields, which is different, but not worse. The game still has some traditional dungeons as well but they're not as long as Nocturne's.

Major downsides of the game were that not enough direction was given when trying to get to new areas on the world map, and that the game got too easy if you had high magic and got Megido (and other Almighty attacks that hit all enemies) like me. Also on the Neutral route, the Law and Chaos sides didn't really get any exposure once you get locked into your alignment. You went through their respective final dungeons, had a couple lines of dialogue, beat the boss and that was that.

Something else regarding exposure, one of the characters that was featured before the game came out,
Kaga, died almost immediately after you meet her. I was expecting her to be a major Ring of Gaea character like Tayama is a major Ashura-Kai character being its leader, but she was a really minor character, and instead we have Yuriko/the Black Samurai/Lilith representing the Ring of Gaea instead which is fine but Kaga shouldn't have been killed off quite that fast.

Also I don't know why the camera on the world map resets after a battle if you've turned it around. It makes things a bit confusing.

Anyway, pretty good game overall, and I hope it doesn't take another 10 years for us to get SMT V.

Watashiwa

Ah, actually, it seems you need to complete certain challenge quests to get the ability to go Neutral. I have not seen these before. Well, some of em.

Not true. There are certain challenge quests you have to do on the Neutral route to progress, but all routes unlock based solely on your alignment.

Shengar

What apps really worth chasing for? Mine focused on Scout, Macca raising, Demon Stock, and Demon Skills+. I wonder if my choice would weight down on me in late game or not.

Soriku

What apps really worth chasing for? Mine focused on Scout, Macca raising, Demon Stock, and Demon Skills+. I wonder if my choice would weight down on me in late game or not.

All the MP apps. You'll rarely be very low on MP with them. My most recommended apps.

After that. skill expansion, demon skill expansion, demolingual, and the summon discount ones (the last one reduces Compendium costs by 50%). Skill Augment can also be useful.

duckroll

I never bothered with any of the HP/MP apps at all. I didn't feel I had a need for them. I went straight for all the skill slot expansion ones, first for myself, then for the demons. And demon stock of course.

Soulhouf

Skill Augment isn't as broken as in Strange Journey (where almost any skill could lead to Jihad or any other useful skill) but it's still a top tier app.

spiritfox

Somehow managed to get into Neutral without even consulting a guide and just picking what I felt liked. Well, other than that sudden Bad End.

Shortly after route lock:
That sick burn from Burroughs during the White Issachar battle.

NeonZ

I did that, but I'm now wishing I had gotten all fiends in the law route before starting my current neutral/chaos run.

Ourobolus

Banned
I did that, but I'm now wishing I had gotten all fiends in the law route before starting my current neutral/chaos run.

Well I went Neutral so they're open to me, but the fuckers just won't spawn. I don't have the patience to save/reload for hours on end.

spiritfox

Neutral Route Spoilers:

Urgh... The Chalice is the worst thing to happen to this game. Now I'm stuck fighting low-lvl demons doing easy-ass quests just to get my rank up. They could at least made the quests a little harder.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
tumblr_mq5796CNBk1qb1m9to1_500.gif

Neutral Route Spoilers:

Urgh... The Chalice is the worst thing to happen to this game. Now I'm stuck fighting low-lvl demons doing easy-ass quests just to get my rank up. They could at least made the quests a little harder.

Keep in mind that the game tells you from the beginning to take time to do side quests so you could split time between main quest and side quest not getting bored with either.

Picked up the game again and been playing little else for now. At end-game and I apparently managed to get into the Neutral route (judging by late-game spoiler
directed by Stephen to take care of the four entities, after that Isabeau is back with me
) by luckily intuiting the balance as I went along. Was that or Law/
Jonathan
depending on a last choice.

Should be digging in and closing up this first play-through soon.

Tripon

All the MP apps. You'll rarely be very low on MP with them. My most recommended apps.

After that. skill expansion, demon skill expansion, demolingual, and the summon discount ones (the last one reduces Compendium costs by 50%). Skill Augment can also be useful.

Not if you put energy drain on every party member. Almost never misses, guaranteed to suck out more HP/MP if the enemy has some to spare, and since its almighty, there's nobody that can natively block it.

Dresden

Eh, I don't like energy drain at all. Takes up a valuable skill slot that could go to a null/drn/rpl on your demons, takes a turn, and the mp recovery app works outside of battle. Random battles end in the first phase, usually (more like the very first turn the MC can take; every build has a way to just clear the deck with a multi-target spell), and there's enough chakra items to refill mp when needed.

Tripon

Eh, I don't like energy drain at all. Takes up a valuable skill slot that could go to a null/drn/rpl, takes a turn, and the mp recovery app works outside of battle. Random battle end in the first phase, usually, and SMT4's boss battles tend to be fast and there's enough chakra items to refill mp when needed.

Yeah, I tend to not use items in this game since only Flynn has native access in battle. I also use Debilitate and Luster Candy, among other high MP usage spells, so Energy Drain makes sense to me.

Dresden

I've never needed more than three or so casts of deb/lc/salvation out of my demons in a boss battle, so there's that. If they can buff, heal, and survive a few rounds with a boss, that's enough for Flynn to get the kill.

Soriku

Not if you put energy drain on every party member. Almost never misses, guaranteed to suck out more HP/MP if the enemy has some to spare, and since its almighty, there's nobody that can natively block it.

MP apps are more convenient *shrug* I only needed Energy Drain for long boss battles, which were rare. And practically never for my MC, the main damage dealer. He had enough MP. By the end of the game I bought all the apps I listed and a bunch of extras so it won't hurt to get the MP apps eventually.

Ourobolus

Banned
Eh, I don't like energy drain at all. Takes up a valuable skill slot that could go to a null/drn/rpl on your demons, takes a turn, and the mp recovery app works outside of battle. Random battles end in the first phase, usually (more like the very first turn the MC can take; every build has a way to just clear the deck with a multi-target spell), and there's enough chakra items to refill mp when needed.

I really liked Energy Drain up until the point where you make the first fork. On my MC I was draining over 100MP per cast, with demons usually around 40MP, so it was great at the time (and I didn't have the MP app yet).

Can anyone tell me what demons fuse to make parvati lvl 25 megami please?

I tried using the fusion chart out there on the internet but... I can't make heads or tails of it.

daripad

Just finished the game in the Law path and...
It ended so sudden. I'm completly confused about everything. Shame that I won't be able to do new game +, I have two games left to play and school starts next week leaving me with not much free time.

Soulhouf

Can anyone tell me what demons fuse to make parvati lvl 25 megami please?

I tried using the fusion chart out there on the internet but... I can't make heads or tails of it.

Select Megami as target and check the compendium demons. If Mido tells you have a lot of results, add another criteria and you should find what you're looking for.

esoterika

Neo Member
Two things:

1. Antichthon doesn't properly hit 3 times against hordes. Glitch?

2. What does “PR“ stand for in the status menu? (Pressing x while in battle) I don't think I've ever seen anything next to it.

Soulhouf

1. Antichthon doesn't properly hit 3 times against hordes. Glitch?

I don't think it's a glitch. Seeing how broken Jihad was in Strange Journey (the equivalent of Antichthon), they probably balanced it a little bit.

----------------------------

I finally got my first famed demon by fusion accident:

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

Tripon

I don't think it's a glitch. Seeing how broken Jihad was in Strange Journey (the equivalent of Antichthon), they probably balanced it a little bit.

----------------------------

I finally got my first famed demon by fusion accident:

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

How do you trigger a fusion accident?

Clott

For my first playthrough, should I build a Dex (gun) or Mag character?

I would assume I will be getting plenty of beastly demons with amazing mag.

For my first playthrough, should I build a Dex (gun) or Mag character?

I would assume I will be getting plenty of beastly demons with amazing mag.

I'm 13 hours in and I sort of split between MAG and DEX. I'm new to this game so I don't know if that's the best strategy but...

Anyways, to veterans... I find myself hanging on to a few particular spells (Dia, Media, the one that boosts Attack power, etc). Is this ok to do or should I start letting some of that stuff go? I tend to only swap out magic spells for more power magic spells (and gun moves).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm 13 hours in and I sort of split between MAG and DEX. I'm new to this game so I don't know if that's the best strategy but...

Anyways, to veterans... I find myself hanging on to a few particular spells (Dia, Media, the one that boosts Attack power, etc). Is this ok to do or should I start letting some of that stuff go? I tend to only swap out magic spells for more power magic spells (and gun moves).

What are you finding more useful now, MAG or DEX? I'd recommend ditching one and focusing in the other along with something like AGILITY or LUCK.

As for the skills, keep the ones that you find yourself using constantly. I'd recommend having an "experiment" skill slot so you can try new skills whenever you get one and see how useful they are.

cj_iwakura

Law ending get.

Lucifer was PATHETIC. Concentrate + Spark = die nasty.

Let's just pretend he's a poser and not the 'true form' Kaneko's been teasing for a while.

Ending just plain sucked. Yes, I want to be a martyr after all that. HOW ABOUT NO.

Game was a masterpiece, but overall, it was far too easy to break.

Law ending get.

Let's just pretend he's a poser and not the 'true form' Kaneko's been teasing for a while.

Ending just plain sucked. Yes, I want to be a martyr after all that. HOW ABOUT NO.

Game was a masterpiece, but overall, it was far too easy to break.

This Lucifer feels like a weakened form to me, not a true one, not even close.

Finished the game yesterday with the law ending. I love the game, except for the characters and story. In general, I felt that the characters were way too underdeveloped and the plot felt totally unfocused.

I really did not like the law and chaos-endings. They both seem to include a huge BUT and they left me a bit unsatisfied. Neutral really appears to be the most desirable one...but good luck going for that one without a guide.

The middle part seems to be kind of pointless story-wise. The twists with the multiple possible worlds was IMO half-assed and came out of nowhere. I liked the idea, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

Btw. what was the story behind the demon summoning program that users could install on their devices? Was it the reason for Tokyo to become demon-infested? What or who created Mikado?

Who where the white ones? Human consciousness?

I'd give it an 8,5/10. It was one of the most immersive games I've played in a long time and although the story department was kinda meh, the overall setting and atmosphere save the game by a great mile.

Sera O

Banned
2. What does “PR“ stand for in the status menu? (Pressing x while in battle) I don't think I've ever seen anything next to it.

I think this is for reflect but I'd have to check for sure. I think I've seen something there when I had tetrakarn up, but I'm not sure if it shows same for makarakarn or tetraja.

Ridley327

It can randomly happen while using standard fusion. Using Foul and dead demons in the fusion raises the chances of accidents though.

Funny enough, I hadn't had one until today, and I got two, which resulted in an Orochi and a Siegfried.

Not complaining!

Tamanon

Banned
Haven't played for a while with a lot of stuff going on, but do we ever find out the origin of Burroughs? Or is she just always mystery lady in the gauntlet.

Btw. what was the story behind the demon summoning program that users could install on their devices? Was it the reason for Tokyo to become demon-infested? What or who created Mikado?

Who where the white ones? Human consciousness?

I'm typing on my phone so these answers aren't terribly well-written but...
Much of this stuff is hidden in NPC dialogue.

Kiyoharu mentions that the DSP was released on the internet by Stephen to combat demons who, given the exposition's close proximity to SMT1, probably entered into the world via a portal to Makai created during Stephen's terminal experiment.

Mikado was originally an Eden for God's chosen built on the bedrock covering Tokyo that was reformed into a kingdom when Akira/Aquilla climbed sky tower(to save his sister) and became king.

And the Whites are manifestations of humanity's desire to escape God's control.

I tried.

daripad

Law ending get.

Game was a masterpiece, but overall, it was
far too easy to break.

What are you talking about? I defeated the game in law and didn't see that

Top Bottom