• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So I started my second cycle last night as New Life and bit the bullet and bought the App Points DLC... Turns out you don't really stand a chance against those monsters at the beginning of the game. I went back and checked the description and realized its recommending to tackle it when you reach Ikebukuro. Blah.

Watashiwa

I'm typing on my phone so these answers aren't terribly well-written but...
Much of this stuff is hidden in NPC dialogue.

Kiyoharu mentions that the DSP was released on the internet by Stephen to combat demons who, given the exposition's close proximity to SMT1, probably entered into the world via a portal to Makai created during Stephen's terminal experiment.

Mikado was originally an Eden for God's chosen built on the bedrock covering Tokyo that was reformed into a kingdom when Akira/Aquilla climbed sky tower(to save his sister) and became king.

And the Whites are manifestations of humanity's desire to escape God's control.

I tried.

No, it's very good. I'll finish up.

The demons invaded through the Yamato Perpetual Reactor, which was a particle accelerator the White inspired the creation of.

The ceiling/Firmament was created by Masakado to stop the bombs that were about to destroy the world. Blasted Tokyo is the world that might have come about if the barrier had not been formed.

Interestingly, the divergence point seems to be the early death of Masakado's original summoner--the main character's previous incarnation. Infernal Tokyo is another variant likely based on that person dying even earlier in the timeline.

EDIT: And I wouldn't worry cj, that wasn't the ultimate form. We'll know it when we see it.

So on New Game+... I went with Ressurection. Why are my spells hitting for a lot less than at the end of the first playthrough? I ended the first round with Megidolaon hitting for ~560, and at the beginning of the 2nd Cycle, no gear change, Megidolaon+1 is hitting for ~420.

I just finished the Corpse quest in Shinjuku (level 27ish). A lot of the demons I encounter now only have dark/light weakness, but other than the skill Hama, which had a shitty success rate, I have nothing. I've look in Mido, and nothing really there either. Am I missing something?

I just finished the Corpse quest in Shinjuku (level 27ish). A lot of the demons I encounter now only have dark/light weakness, but other than the skill Hama, which had a shitty success rate, I have nothing. I've look in Mido, and nothing really there either. Am I missing something?

Light and Dark are instant kill only. Hama and Mudo generally work fairly well against demons who are weak (they can still miss, but they have a pretty high success rate).

Light and Dark are instant kill only. Hama and Mudo generally work fairly well against demons who are weak (they can still miss, but they have a pretty high success rate).
Ah okay.

Should I be investing into resistant and reflect stuff soon? Right now I barely pay attention to it on my party.

Ah okay.

Should I be investing into resistant and reflect stuff soon? Right now I barely pay attention to it on my party.

You should definitely be trying to cover any weaknesses during fusion by passing on resist/null skills. Fusing demons who can nullify a number of elements will make them more durable and also eat up enemy turns.

esoterika

Neo Member
Beat the game, 65 hours, Chaos route. Really loved the game. It's been talked about before, so I won't get into criticizing it either positively or negatively, but I will say that I thought the game was way too easy (I'm a veteran of the series). I wish you could unlock Expert from the start. I was one-shotting every encounter with whatever Almighty skill my MC had and the bosses were chumps. I wish I had the patience to spawn Fiends, as they might have been fun fights, but I just don't have the patience. 30 minutes with no Matador means I'm not even going to bother. In general, I wish there were some more fun end-game fights, but oh well.

Looking forward to the other endings.

My end-game party. It has some room for improvement, but I almost feel like "why bother?"
GzWPV8Rl.jpg

yrqu23Sl.jpg

7ULiLkal.jpg

ofTWNUBl.jpg

esoterika

Neo Member
So in NG+ is it normal to start with 700 app points and get 120k+ exp from starter quests which make my level 1 demons hit 25 instantly....?

But I only had 20 when I beat it. Maybe you get app points as a reward and I didn't notice.

But you spent them all on apps, right? You start out the new game with no apps carrying over (aside from the skill expansions). You get back everything you spent over the course of the game, essentially. Remember, 10 points for each level up.

Just picked it up. First time playing this series (that I remember). It is hard! I am getting one shot by lvl 2 demons. Guess i still gotta learn me some stuff I have died twice on the second quest and thats with two demons.

It almost reminds me of Puzzles and Dragons with the varius demons.

But damn, what a great beginning, I can tell I am going to play this a lot.

esoterika

Neo Member
But you spent them all on apps, right? You start out the new game with no apps carrying over (aside from the skill expansions). You get back everything you spent over the course of the game, essentially. Remember, 10 points for each level up.

Oh now I feel silly. I looked at my app list and saw green and assumed that it carried over my apps. I just have to respend the points. Thanks!

spiritfox

Just picked it up. First time playing this series (that I remember). It is hard! I am getting one shot by lvl 2 demons. Guess i still gotta learn me some stuff I have died twice on the second quest and thats with two demons.

It almost reminds me of Puzzles and Dragons with the varius demons.

But damn, what a great beginning, I can tell I am going to play this a lot.

The beginning is the weakest part of the game. Enjoy!

cj_iwakura

But he's the final boss of the law path...isn't he? (Got Neutral here, myself.)

Yep.
(Ending spoilers)
A laughable imitation. I like the theory that he's just another copy, merged with Walter.

Funny how SMT2 still has the longest endings in the series, and that's still not saying much.

Weiss

Banned
So I'm trying to fuse a Mayahuel to create a Dionysus, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to show up in the fusion search. I can't even search for its race. It won't show up.

What's going on?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So I'm trying to fuse a Mayahuel to create a Dionysus, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to show up in the fusion search. I can't even search for its race. It won't show up.

What's going on?

Dionysus is a special fusion.

You'll need, Naga, Mayahuel and Dantalion

PK Gaming

Oh shit, I used that save file for the new game plus. Fuck! I JUST WASTED MY 47 HOURS I HAD IN THIS DAMNED GAME. FUCK!

No offense, but I don't get how people can assume that's the actual ending. The game presents you with an obvious question
DO YOU WANT TO END EXISTENCE Y/N

PK Gaming

Ok, reading up on the fate of the SMT1-2 heroes is making me really unhappy.

I hope they don't casually disregard Flynn and CO in future instalments.

I chose to
take the demons side
for The Seat of Government quest. Does it start my side of law/chaos?

jasonng

I chose to
take the demons side

You've been aligning yourself from the very start. Your first decision (extending your hand or not for your gauntlet) is where your score gets affected. I wouldn't worry about it. You don't get locked in until much later.

Soriku

I chose to
take the demons side

If you're asking whether that locks you into an alignment, no. That choice comes much later. But choosing that option will put points into Chaos.

Sendou

You need to go to Shinjuku

Remember a guy in the map who gives you directions? Go north from there and there will be a dude who can take you to a new part of the map on boat

So I did exactly that and
destroyed two demons' domains there.
What now? Honestly this game is too hardcore with tips regarding what to do for me.

Top Bottom