• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Caladrius

How do you get the stats up so high? For both Flynn and your demons? Even with the + Apps I doubt mine would reach that high.

For Flynn I had extensive emphasis on magic and agility on my initial play through (it was about 300 Ma and 120 Ag when I hit level 99) and Incensed the most of the other stat points.(I'm currently at the end of my 3rd playthrough.)

For the demons I used save scumming in conjunction with the app DLC and all of the stat enhancement apps. If the demon didn't get the stats I wanted I reset the game to just before it leveled up. It's a... somewhat tedious process even with the EXP DLC due to the fact that the game frequently seems hellbent on not giving you the stat boosts you're looking for. Aeshma starts at level 10, hence why I was able to get such an astronomical magic score off of him and the stat apps let me get great stats across the board with no special investment..

Andrew J.

I beat Clipped Wings 1 earlier:

It actually wasn't too bad. I prepared some strong demons that repelled the appropriate elements and switched accordingly for the second fight. With that, the usual mix of Antichthon, Luster Candy, Mediarahan, and weakness-targeted elemental spells (Concentrated when my 200+ Mag MC had a chance) was sufficient to finish off the Heralds.

Not gonna do Clipped Wings 2 just yet.
I fused Uriel, and I plan to level him doing Challenge Quests in Infernal Tokyo before fusing Raphael.

Bullza2o

Hello everyone! I bought SMTIV launch day, but recently I haven't had time to play it. This will probably continue until mid-month, so I'm wondering how far in the game I am currently. I am in (somewhat early Tokyo exploration)
Shibuya or Shinjuku
station where I have to beat
7 of those red corpses as a mandatory side quest
. I'm guessing 20% of the story? I would like to know so I know how much I should spend time on this before Pokemon comes out.

Mr. Fix

For Flynn I had extensive emphasis on magic and agility on my initial play through (it was about 300 Ma and 120 Ag when I hit level 99) and Incensed the most of the other stat points.(I'm currently at the end of my 3rd playthrough.)

For the demons I used save scumming in conjunction with the app DLC and all of the stat enhancement apps. If the demon didn't get the stats I wanted I reset the game to just before it leveled up. It's a... somewhat tedious process even with the EXP DLC due to the fact that the game frequently seems hellbent on not giving you the stat boosts you're looking for. Aeshma starts at level 10, hence why I was able to get such an astronomical magic score off of him and the stat apps let me get great stats across the board with no special investment..

I forgot about Incesnse items. I think I only have one of each attribute.

As for fusion, I thought stats were pre-determined? Unless you were referring to skills. Still though, you're team looks jacked. I'm jealous.

Hello everyone! I bought SMTIV launch day, but recently I haven't had time to play it. This will probably continue until mid-month, so I'm wondering how far in the game I am currently. I am in (somewhat early Tokyo exploration)
Shibuya or Shinjuku
station where I have to beat
7 of those red corpses as a mandatory side quest
. I'm guessing 20% of the story? I would like to know so I know how much I should spend time on this before Pokemon comes out.

20-25% sounds about right. Just expect about around 40 hours for the main campaign.

Too soon?

I'm so far behind on this game. Trouble is, every time I start making progress in the story, I blow 3 hours exploring everything and fusing demons. I wonder if I'll beat this in under 100 hours.

I didn't. Doesn't help that I got lost in Blasted Tokyo, Infernal Tokyo, and the two Tokyo regions that only open up post Route Lock. Did all the Side Quests too.

I did have a much easier time with the DLC / Fiends than I was expecting as a result though.

CSX

Just Red Rider left. But I've got a few things to do before that (Finish buying everything , get the Fusion error only demons , fuse everything I can, finish farming App Points, Chaos Route Playthrough) so it'll be a while.

you can do fusion error demon grinding and Red Rider on the same reload :p

you can do fusion error demon grinding and Red Rider on the same reload :p

I'm on Law (technically I've finished Law, since I've done all the Side Quests and beat the Final Boss, but I decided to reload before the Final Boss and take care of loose ends so I can blitz the remaining routes).

Soulhouf

After reaching level 86, I decided to fuse Alice again because I wasn't happy with her skill set.
Leveling her up again will be looooooooong. It took me 3 entire runs to reach that level T_T

Bullza2o

20-25% sounds about right. Just expect about around 40 hours for the main campaign.

Well I'm already 22 hours at this point, I never changed the difficulty (so it's normal, I think). I'm sure I'll take more than 40 hours to beat a route.

Snap I just remembered there are 3 routes...which one should a 1st timer take?

Is there any reason to have more than six skill slots for your main character?

I just have the strongest spell available of each of the 4 elements, Tetrakarn and Mediarama. I'm level 38 and none of my demons have any weaknesses and combined they're resistant to all the elements, gun attacks and most of the status afflictions. All three have all 4 element spells, one or two healing/support moves and two-three passive abilities like chakra walk and resistances.

So far it doesn't seem like there's any reason to set up my demons otherwise. Just whatever's best for maximizing turns and regaining mana. The physically strong demons with low MP seem like garbage.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";79790793]Is there any reason to have more than six skill slots for your main character?

I just have the strongest spell available of each of the 4 elements, Tetrakarn and Mediarama. I'm level 38 and none of my demons have any weaknesses and combined they're resistant to all the elements, gun attacks and most of the status afflictions. All three have all 4 element spells, one or two healing/support moves and two-three passive abilities like chakra walk and resistances.

So far it doesn't seem like there's any reason to set up my demons otherwise. Just whatever's best for maximizing turns and regaining mana. The physically strong demons with low MP seem like garbage.[/QUOTE]

the Megido line of spells

Soulhouf

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";79790793]Is there any reason to have more than six skill slots for your main character?

So far it doesn't seem like there's any reason to set up my demons otherwise. Just whatever's best for maximizing turns and regaining mana. The physically strong demons with low MP seem like garbage.[/QUOTE]

You will realize it later but the demons with low MP (and thus high HP) will prove to be the most effective against the strongest bosses.

As for the MC's skills, to me even 8 slots aren't enough. I wish I had more.

My MC:

Desperate Hit
Heaven's Bow
Salvation
Luster Candy
Judgement Light
Charge
Occult Flash
Doping

Andrew J.

I just have the strongest spell available of each of the 4 elements, Tetrakarn and Mediarama. I'm level 38 and none of my demons have any weaknesses and combined they're resistant to all the elements, gun attacks and most of the status afflictions. All three have all 4 element spells, one or two healing/support moves and two-three passive abilities like chakra walk and resistances.[/QUOTE]

If you have a magic-focused MC you need slots for Concentrate and Almighty skills (Antichthon, eventually).

My setup:

Trisagion
Deadly Wind
Thunder Reign
Glacial Blast
Judgment Light
Die For Me!
Antichthon
Concentrate

JEKKI

yo I street passed the shyt outta pax lol.

u can tag up to 12 ppl at once, and for each one u get an item, and your demon also changes into a new one!!

unfortunately it was very hard to tag 12 ppl... I did it on my first day since I had left it on the whole time, but once I learned how it works and tried to actively keep checking it it never got to 12 again.

maybe ppl aint turning their SP option on?? lol.

anywayz I took this video with instagrams to show all the craxy items u can get:

http://instagram.com/p/dpuHpWwbsb/

My magic MC is running (Stuff in Brackets is alternates/ non-DLC replacements)

Refrigerate (Glacial Blast / Cold World (hits all, does less damage but chance of Instakill))
Plasma Discharge ( Ziodyne / Thunder Reign)
Trisagion (Ragnarok does slightly more damage but it's multi-hit)
Killing Wind (Floral Gust ")
Anticthon (Stigmatic Beam (DLC) / Great Logos (otherwise) / Megidoloan (before you can get Great Logos) are worth considering, since the toughest bosses will ruin your buffs/debuffs if you get to +3/-3)
Salvation
Spiritual Focus (Concentrate)
Archangel's Order (Free Choice some recs are Luster Candy / Doping / Judgement Light )

It's generally not worth having the -Karn spells on the MC after the Route Lock , you'll start encountering bosses with Almighty skills and AI that responds to -Karn skills by spamming Almighty).

Well beat the game on the neutral path. Kinda disappointed on the last boss, maybe because I was overleved (was with Shiva, Vishnu and Metatron).

The ending is pretty abrupt. Would loved to see an epilogue. I will do the other routes later and try some fiend hunting.

Overall it was pretty great. Lots of things to do.

Beat the game for the 2nd time (loaded up previous safe after I New Life'd,), started New Game Plus with Reincarnate.

Endgame Stats and Moves

I'm going for Neutral route this time. I read new quests and bosses open up. Haven't downloaded the Archangels, Ancient of Days or Sanat DLC yet, but will do this weekend. Also plan on fiend hunting and fusing all of the special demons (I managed to snag 2-3 of those National Divinity guys, but I haven't fused yet them, probably because I don't have the right demon set). Kept Isis as my carryover demon from first file. First dungeon is really easy now, and they give you at least 200k exp per quest complete. My demons went from Level 3 to 25 in one quest turn-in. Insane. I also set the difficulty on Master (I don't know what this really does, I just noticed the Flee escape chance is always 0%, don't know if Master effects the enemy A.I.). Rebought all the apps I had. So yeah, I'm ready to do this all over again (another 80 hours of my life gone), and I chose to Reincarnate because I want to do all the bonus stuff without having to struggle through the game again like I did the first time. That WAS enjoyable, but usually in New Game Plus RPGs I feel as though I'd like to keep what I earned, instead of losing it all.

Also, Beezlebub is going down this time. No questions asked.

I have an extra gamestop pre order bonus armor and was wondering if anyone has an extra exclusive pre order armor code for anywhere else other then GS they would like to trade for? ^~^

I have an extra gamestop pre order bonus armor and was wondering if anyone has an extra exclusive pre order armor code for anywhere else other then GS they would like to trade for? ^~^

You can find Amazon and Gamestop pre-order bonuses for relatively cheap on ebay. I actually have a spare Gamestop one myself because I got it thinking it was an Ebgames.ca one. Basically you aren't likely to get any trade offers outside of Amazon for Gamestop or vice versa. I'd love to get my hands on an ebgames.ca one just for collections sake but I've seen precisely 0 of them.

Soulhouf

End game spoilers.
Lucifer's revelation is probably the worst thing in the entire game's story. So badly executed and the bad design didn't help. "I AM LUCIFER" *facepalm*

If there is one thing to change in the game, this is it.
Also, why chaos and law have to exactly mirror one another? If Jonathan has to fuse with the archangels to form Markebah, why do Walter need to fuse with Lucifer? They could make him fuse with something else or whatever. They didn't have to feel the need to do the same thing with an extremely unsatisfying result.
This part is really rushed up compared to how the rest of the story was well done.

End game spoilers.
Lucifer's revelation is probably the worst thing in the entire game's story. So badly executed and the bad design didn't help. "I AM LUCIFER" *facepalm*

If there is one thing to change in the game, this is it.
Also, why chaos and law have to exactly mirror one another? If Jonathan has to fuse with the archangels to form Markebah, why do Walter need to fuse with Lucifer? They could make him fuse with something else or whatever. They didn't have to feel the need to do the same thing with an extremely unsatisfying result.
This part is really rushed up compared to how the rest of the story was well done.

This game pushes pretty heavily on Neutral as the "correct" path.Emphasizing the similarities between Law & Chaos and their hostility to humanity (as we perceive it) is a way to do that.

Soulhouf

This game pushes pretty heavily on Neutral as the "correct" path.Emphasizing the similarities between Law & Chaos and their hostility to humanity (as we perceive it) is a way to do that.

That's not an excuse to make it that bad in the chaos route. It's a part of the story.
When I say bad, I don't mean the result of that choice but the way it was done. They completely ruined that character.
When Lucifer reveled himself in SMT1,2 and 3 it was done in a majestic way that suited the character. Usually you see him transform from his human form to his demon form without saying a word, giving you time to realize yourself what happened and admire the strong presence in front of you. Before you catch your breath, he starts speaking. In SMT2, while Zain fused with Seth to form Satan, things were very different in the chaos side. They didn't feel the need to do the same things in both sides.

In SMTIV, the way it was done is laughable.

You can find Amazon and Gamestop pre-order bonuses for relatively cheap on ebay. I actually have a spare Gamestop one myself because I got it thinking it was an Ebgames.ca one. Basically you aren't likely to get any trade offers outside of Amazon for Gamestop or vice versa. I'd love to get my hands on an ebgames.ca one just for collections sake but I've seen precisely 0 of them.

Well I was just hoping Gaf might of had one and wanted to trade. I might try selling it on ebay for a couple of dollars and try to buy an amazon one. I find 2.99 to be a fair price after looking at the DLC.

How does paypal work with Ebay? Like how much of a cut would they take? I've only bought never sold before lol.

Lemstar

Well I was just hoping Gaf might of had one and wanted to trade. I might try selling it on ebay for a couple of dollars and try to buy an amazon one. I find 2.99 to be a fair price after looking at the DLC.

How does paypal work with Ebay? Like how much of a cut would they take? I've only bought never sold before lol.
eBay takes 10%, and PayPal takes 2.9% + $0.30.

CorvoSol

Demon scouting is hard to the point where it makes me not want to play this game. Is there no way to not make it an awful rngfest?

Demon scouting is hard to the point where it makes me not want to play this game. Is there no way to not make it an awful rngfest?

The response reactions are only semi-random. You'll learn the preferred ones as you play. There is a risk/reward thing though. The really bad responses seem to have a small chance of automatic recruiting. Some specific demons vary from conversation type too so watch for anomalies. When it comes to giving things accept two and deny one then end the conversation, if the demon runs away when given one or two remember that at for that demon either deny first or give only a single gift (its usually the gentleman/noble and flirtatious demons who do this).

CorvoSol

The response reactions are only semi-random. You'll learn the preferred ones as you play. There is a risk/reward thing though. The really bad responses seem to have a small chance of automatic recruiting. Some specific demons vary from conversation type too so watch for anomalies. When it comes to giving things accept two and deny one then end the conversation, if the demon runs away when given one or two remember that at for that demon either deny first or give only a single gift (its usually the gentleman/noble and flirtatious demons who do this).

Why should I end a conversation when it just results in the demon beating the shit out of me after I gave him all my stuff?

Why should I end a conversation when it just results in the demon beating the shit out of me after I gave him all my stuff?

If you keep giving demons things they'll usually run away. They'll generally ask you one more question and then join you (assuming you give the "right" response), if you give them 2 things , deny them once and then end the conversation. They'll only attack you if you end the conversation when you haven't given them enough.

If a demon is "especially satisfied" with a gift you should basically end negotiation immediately too (unless it hated you before).

CorvoSol

If you keep giving demons things they'll usually run away. They'll generally ask you one more question and then join you (assuming you give the "right" response), if you give them 2 things , deny them once and then end the conversation. They'll only attack you if you end the conversation when you haven't given them enough.

If a demon is "especially satisfied" with a gift you should basically end negotiation immediately too (unless it hated you before).

Okay, I'll give that a whirl, then.

Soulhouf

After going through the game 4 times (2 neutral, 1 chaos and 1 law) I don't know what to do other than prepare a team to fight the DLC toughest boss without using the other DLC demons/skills.
I think that while building my demons I will also start hunting the fiends.

I can't quit this game...

spiritfox

After going through the game 4 times (2 neutral, 1 chaos and 1 law) I don't know what to do other than prepare a team to fight the DLC toughest boss without using the other DLC demons/skills.

Where's your bad end.

Do it.

I know how you feel ;_;

I am glad this game did well in all territories. (so far.) We may just see an SMTV after all... :)

CorvoSol

Game is a lot more fun for me when I'm not trying to recruit demons, I've decided. I still have to, but it isn't as fun that way because recruiting demons is a horrible and stupid process that I hate hate hate really really hard.

Game is a lot more fun for me when I'm not trying to recruit demons, I've decided. I still have to, but it isn't as fun that way because recruiting demons is a horrible and stupid process that I hate hate hate really really hard.

This may be stupidly obvious (and if so I apologise) but are you killing off all the demons you don't want to recruit before trying to recruit ? Not doing that makes things much harder.

CorvoSol

This may be stupidly obvious (and if so I apologise) but are you killing off all the demons you don't want to recruit before trying to recruit ? Not doing that makes things much harder.

I am now, yes. When I first started I wasn't, but now I am. It's more the actual recruitment phase. Still, cutting things off after two rewards seems to be improving things.

I managed to get the demons for a Special Fusion but Mido is saying my level isn't high enough. Does he mean MC's level, or the demons involved in the fusion?

Soulhouf

I managed to get the demons for a Special Fusion but Mido is saying my level isn't high enough. Does he mean MC's level, or the demons involved in the fusion?

The demon you want to fuse needs to have a level equal or lower than yours.
But there are applications which increase the level allowed (+1, +2...).

The demon you want to fuse needs to have a level equal or lower than yours.
But there are applications which increase the level allowed (+1, +2...).

I would recommend avoiding them though , unless you're endgame and looking to spend points on stuff. They are way too expensive for what they are doing in a normal playthrough. I

Vice

I am now, yes. When I first started I wasn't, but now I am. It's more the actual recruitment phase. Still, cutting things off after two rewards seems to be improving things.

Once you can get Scout+, the one that lowers their requirements, it gets even easier.

Soulhouf

I would recommend avoiding them though , unless you're endgame and looking to spend points on stuff. They are way too expensive for what they are doing in a normal playthrough. I

Agreed.
SMTIV has too many demons and the search function enables you to fuse whatever you want very easily without needing higher level demons. Flynn levels up much faster than the demons too, so it's only a matter of time to reach the level of the demon you want.

Andrew J.

(Neutral post-game spoilers):

Just beat
Beelzebub. Honestly, he wasn't so bad as I feared. It took me just two tries, and I'm pretty sure I only lost the first one because I got careless with my debuffs and triggered his rage mode.

I had one demon that repelled Gun for Heaven's Bow (Vishnu, also serving as Salvation user) and another with Null Nerve. Beelzebub only ever used Pandemic Bomb as his last action, and I cured with Salvation every time, so I never even saw Death's Door. Besides that, I put Doping on early, kept up my buffs and debuffs, stayed calm, and laid on damage with Concentrated spells from the MC and Berserker God from demons until he went down.

Soulhouf

Just saw this on twitter:

BTZvDxwCAAASPU4.png

BTZulH1CQAEGjj0.png

WTF

Top Bottom