• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

hiten

Neo Member
For demons the non-dlc 1-4 hits of medium damage skills are slightly more powerful,on single targets,on average than the single severe damage spells. For Flynn the multi-hit ones are noticeably better since the bonus damage from upgrades are per hit. If there's a group of 4 demons on screen and 2 repel wind and 1 is weak to it though , you'll wish you had the Severe skill , so there's pros and cons.

For the DLC skills:
Refrigerate is waaay better though especially for Flynn. Plasma Discharge is on average weaker for demons than the 1-4 hit medium moves, but its stronger for Flynn due to the extra damage for upgrades being per hit.

There's no Single Target Severe Damage for Electric and Ice.
There's no 1-4 hit medium damage attack for Electricity.
Thunder Reign does more damage than the Single Target Heavies but less than the Single Target Severes but hits all enemies.
Cold World is a hit all ice move with a chance of Instant Death , in terms of raw damage its between Mabufula and Mabufudyne.

Thanks for your explanation.

Andrew J.

I got my first Famed! :O

I was preparing for that one Challenge Quest with
Thor
, so I was looking to fuse a demon with a strong Force skill and Null Elec. I found something I liked, went to fuse, and BAM, got Kanseiteikun instead!

...which is cool, but I sort of blew most of my macca on the fusion. Good thing I have the money DLC.

I got my first Famed! :O

I was preparing for that one Challenge Quest with
Thor
, so I was looking to fuse a demon with a strong Force skill and Null Elec. I found something I liked, went to fuse, and BAM, got Kanseiteikun instead!

...which is cool, but I sort of blew most of my macca on the fusion. Good thing I have the money DLC.

I got a Famed Hagen when I was doing a fusion in the Monochrome Forest. It was a blessing.

Does someone know the Strength necessary to open the door at the Disaster Storage B? My MC is Magic based.

Shengar

Is it only me who got excitement moment on SMT IV not from (curbstomping) battle, fusing mighty demons, but rather seeing new demon appeared on fusion screen? SMT IV 400 demons make it literally walking encyclopedia of demons.

CorvoSol

It's cliched, but you're in for a wild ride.

SMTIV was my GOTY.

Started it up. Boy people weren't kidding when they said it was like joining a gang, in that you have to be beaten for initiation. Jeeeez this first dungeon is rough. My demons are all getting murdered in like, one to two hits.

Still, I like the claim that what I choose effects how the game's story will unfold. Do I get to walk around in more than just dungeon areas?

Also, the very first moment the word "God" appeared on screen I went: "Huh, I wonder if God will be a villain in this game." Then I went "Oh wait this is a JRPG. OF COURSE God is a villain in this game."

LostAnkh

Started it up. Boy people weren't kidding when they said it was like joining a gang, in that you have to be beaten for initiation. Jeeeez this first dungeon is rough. My demons are all getting murdered in like, one to two hits.

Still, I like the claim that what I choose effects how the game's story will unfold. Do I get to walk around in more than just dungeon areas?

Also, the very first moment the word "God" appeared on screen I went: "Huh, I wonder if God will be a villain in this game." Then I went "Oh wait this is a JRPG. OF COURSE God is a villain in this game."
That's a funny way to put it.

Soriku

Once you hit Tokyo you'll be able to walk around anywhere.

Also God isn't a (direct) villain in this game.

cj_iwakura

To be fair, SMT arguably innovated the concept.

i beat Yamato and woke up in a fully destroyed Tokyo, after talking to Walter and Jonathan I went out, now I'm lost don't know what to do, everything looks empty, the demons are good for leveling up though

So what do I do now??

Once you're on the overworld map, walk close to the edge of the craters. There'll be places where you can move between craters. You'll find another enterable area on the map fairly close by.

CorvoSol

To be fair, SMT arguably innovated the concept.

Right, but it was just a thing I thought.

Anyway, still in the first dungeon, getting ruined and constantly resetting because aaaarhrhghghg. Sorta lost at the moment. I need to find the hidden thing down here, but there's nowhere left to go, and I cannot figure out how to get up onto the elevated path near the sign that says "look up."

Dresden

Right, but it was just a thing I thought.

Anyway, still in the first dungeon, getting ruined and constantly resetting because aaaarhrhghghg. Sorta lost at the moment. I need to find the hidden thing down here, but there's nowhere left to go, and I cannot figure out how to get up onto the elevated path near the sign that says "look up."

press up on the dpad

CorvoSol

Yup. Same with ladders and places to go down with dpad down. Pretty bad design.

I don't know if I feel it is bad so much as I wish they'd like, explained that more clearly. The way the sign said it I was like "Oh, okay, so d-pad up lets me LOOK up, so I can look around? Ok. That's uh, helpful?"

I don't know if I feel it is bad so much as I wish they'd like, explained that more clearly. The way the sign said it I was like "Oh, okay, so d-pad up lets me LOOK up, so I can look around? Ok. That's uh, helpful?"

Stop being so bad Corvo.

Be better at video games.

:p

Boney

Banned
Anyone got a spare CN code? Bought mine used, registered it today and the asshole used the code, when he specifically said he didn't.

Bummer...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Check your PM

Hmm... if anyone else has a spare code, do let me know! Heh.

Question: Have any NON-special editions been released so far? I ask this as I was going to order a copy online, but I wanted to make sure I was getting the fancy version for $50. Everything points to a "standard" edition appearing at some point, but I've never seen anything but the limited edition in stores...

Interesting things I found out.

Deceased Horde drops Lu Incense sometimes. Got 3 from some fights.

Fallen Horde drops Light Grimoire.

Those are rare. I wonder about the other hordes.

So I finally started this after buying it at launch.

So far, I'm liking it. Love that it has voiceover, which I didn't know. It was pretty challenging, especially when I was first trying to recruit demons. Answer the questions wrong and I get my ass kicked in. Once I got three in my party and finished that quest, it's been a lot smoother sailing.

I saved right before I meet Jonathan and Walter on the rooftop.

Quick question: even though I got three demons in my party, can I keep recruiting them? I didn't realize it until after I left the dungeon (forgot its name).

Quick question: even though I got three demons in my party, can I keep recruiting them? I didn't realize it until after I left the dungeon (forgot its name).

Yes. At the beginning, I believe you can have 8 demons in your stock (with three in your active party at any time). You can increase the amount of demons you can keep on hand with a series of apps, too.

Pikma

Banned
I have something for you guys, a Fire Emblem NA CN code for whoever got SMT but not FE, so you can get dat $30 coupon for the eShop. :)

jrDev

So I pulled the bullet today on buying this. The eShop credit sweetened the deal. This is my first SMT. I am quite satisfied with what's packed in this bundle.

First impressions. Production values galure. Voice acting, graphics, UI, combat depth, gameplay (so far from the things I'm learning about early on). I am REALLY pleased.

The most entertaining part so far is trying to recruit demons. I'm amazed at the depth of questions that the demons ask. I'm still trying to recruit my first demon but failing. He killed me and I'm still doing the tutorial lol.

Glad i pulled the bullet on buying this so far. Anyways onwards.

CorvoSol

So far I've just been balancing stats with a slight emphasis on STR and MAG. Will prioritizing MAG and AG really make that big of a difference in the long run?

So far I've just been balancing stats with a slight emphasis on STR and MAG. Will prioritizing MAG and AG really make that big of a difference in the long run?

ST is literally a junk stat in this game. DX does what ST does, but more effectively, if you can believe it.

Yes. At the beginning, I believe you can have 8 demons in your stock (with three in your active party at any time). You can increase the amount of demons you can keep on hand with a series of apps, too.

Gotcha, thanks.

Another question: What're the best and worse stats to add points to? Right now, I've been adding one point to each so everything is even across the board. Is that a mistake? Should I be focusing on adding more to certain stats this early in the game?

Caladrius

Yes.Magic is incredibly versatile and powerful, while agility will allow you to dodge much more often. A 3 DX, 1 Ag and 1 Lu build is also viable, but I wouldn't suggest using it for a first timer due to the fact that you are much more reliant on equipment to be effective.

If you do use it be aware that elemental bullets are available in shops, so a phys only build isn't quite as restrictive as you might think it would be.(of course you can't get them until after the major roadblock bosses that demand you hit weaknesses.)

Another question: What're the best and worse stats to add points to? Right now, I've been adding one point to each so everything is even across the board. Is that a mistake? Should I be focusing on adding more to certain stats this early in the game?

You need to focus on one offensive specialty. The game demands that you hit very hard and very fast, something you won't be doing if you're trying to balance out all your stats. If you go with magic, (which I recommend if this is your first game) distribute your points with at least 3/4 magic and 2/1 agility. A magic user has zero need for phys skills due to the massive amount of support moves you can use even if you can't attack. If you go with Dex look above

As for worst stat:

ST is literally a junk stat in this game. DX does what ST does, but more effectively, if you can believe it.

To add to this, DEX contributes twice as much to physical skills' power compared to strength and strength doesn't contribute to your gun attack. Literally the only thing strength is good for is your basic attack, which you would never use over your Physical/Gun skills.

Caladrius

DLC Demon spoilers

http://imageshack.us/a/img707/7112/1ydt.jpg

The Fiend Hunt now continues.

That's a hell of a tank. One suggestion: Replace Drac Reaction with High phys pleroma or spirit drain. His skills are as expensive as hell and I wouldn't want him to be caught with his pants down, or at least I would make the most of it.

Also

BEHOLD! MY DEMONS!

Also DLC spoiler for number 4 and DLC skills everywhere.

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/2520/zc2n.jpg Me
http://imageshack.us/a/img90/8446/1du3.jpg My favorite homefizzle
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/4932/jx1d.jpg Those are all level ups you're seeing
http://imageshack.us/a/img199/1623/jlvg.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/7890/ygn8.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img713/8176/2mps.jpg My third favorite homefizzle
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/6416/x8l0.jpg

Just got a Pyro Jack with no weaknesses and three elemental resistances, and has all 4 elements' spells. ^_^

Pumpkin strats for life! Once I get high enough level for the special fusion pumpkin I'll be unstoppable. Letting my Jack Frost evolve was a terrible idea though. So ugly.

Top Bottom