• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Soulhouf

Damn, do I even want Frost Ace? Fusion is expensive, and I'm not sure he's much better than Black Frost (who, unfortunately, has shit MP).

He is a physical demon and physical skills are cheap. The only exception is Desperate Hit.
His lack of MP is more than balanced with his high HP.
You can give him "Mana Surge" if you want to increase his MP but it's not necessary.

e: also you want Frost Ace to make Demonee-Ho later. He has unique and one of the best skills in the game. But it's tricky to transfer and it's easier to just pass to your MC so he murders everything. It's a physical multi hit Almighty skill which doesn't need weaknesses to do massive damage and gain press turns.
Almighty skills usually don't gain press turns but Desperate Hit does. It's game breaking but you know you want it.

Yeah,
I went back to Tayama's Tower after getting back to normal Tokyo and got the keys back for the Reverse Hills.

Funny enough, I went back into the tower and the samurai dude gave me a bunch of items for the National Defense Divinities, so you can use them for fusion I guess? I accidentally skipped most of his text.

If you return to the locations where you fought the Divinities, you'll unlock them for fusion.

In addition, you can return to the bottom of Reverse Hills and get a second chance at Yaso Magatsuhi.

Protag

Banned
Midgame spoilers below:

Just found out you can go back to Reverse Hills after the alignment split (but before you go to the alternate Tokyos) and rescue the kids there. Love all of the little stuff in this game.

Damn, that is great, make me think of the write up siliconera's ishaan did on this amazing game.

I hope someone can do a guide for the hidden stuff, even if there isnt a lot.

Soulhouf

Can anyone recommend a good physical demon for ~MC lvl 40? I'm trying to decide between Ose and Raksasha.

He is lv43 but Asura has always been awesome.
Before you fuse him, try to pass Draconic Reaction to better take advantage of Titanomachia.
Ose is fine but Rakshasa on the other hand is terrible. Fuse him to get Charge/Endure/Fatal Sword and make another demon. He has too many weaknesses.

Can't wait for this to released in Europe. How good is it compared to Nocturne?

Outside of the battle system it's very different from Nocturne.
Nocturne has superior dungeons and better character/demon design but IV has more OMG moments(one of the greatest moments of video game history), is more story focused and has more options.

Edit: Tennozu area spoilers
Just discovered what people in the Tennozu Shelters were eating before you rescue them O_O

He is lv43 but Asura has always been awesome.
Before you fuse him, try to pass Draconic Reaction to better take advantage of Titanomachia.
Ose is fine but Rakshasa on the other hand is terrible. Fuse him to get Charge/Endure/Fatal Sword and make another demon. He has too many weaknesses.

Good to know! Thanks.

Is Purple Smoke a worthwhile skill for a Dex MC? I feel like Blight (+4) invalidates the use of everything else...

SMT IV Music Fans:

Below are some links to music that I feel is highly reminiscent to what I've heard in the few SMT games I've played. This is unsurprising consider they are from hugely influential Japanese musicians (both in Japan and elsewhere--their band, Yellow Magic Orchestra, was formative for electronic music):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHF71Qbb3sM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvm-xowUYnU

Enjoy.

Soulhouf

Good to know! Thanks.

Is Purple Smoke a worthwhile skill for a Dex MC? I feel like Blight (+4) invalidates the use of everything else...

SMT IV Music Fans:

Below are some links to music that I feel is highly reminiscent to what I've heard in the few SMT games I've played. This is unsurprising consider they are from hugely influential Japanese musicians (both in Japan and elsewhere--their band, Yellow Magic Orchestra, was formative for electronic music):

Enjoy.

Purple Smoke isn't really that great.
Here are IMO the most interesting ones:

1 target skills:
- Berseker God <- this is the second most powerful one and only costs 12 MP (8 MP if you get the apps that reduce the cost).
- Mortal Jihad
- Nihil Claw <- when it hits 3 times, this is the most powerful attack(11 MP!)

Multi target skills:
- Occult Flash
- Blight
- Titanomachia
- Madness Nails

I never thought these 2 musics were reminiscent to SMT.
Mind blown :O

Good to know! Thanks.

SMT IV Music Fans:

Enjoy.

YMO is a HUGE reason for Japanese VGM being so potent a force and their creators so well-known and consistant over the years.

Gazoinks

Good to know! Thanks.

SMT IV Music Fans:

Enjoy.

YMO are god-tier. I never really thought about it before, but there's definitely a strong similarity in sound with this stuff.

Can't wait for this to released in Europe. How good is it compared to Nocturne?

It's very different from Nocturne. The meat of the game is in its sidequests (like most WRPGs). Though the main game is still good. That being said it isn't as good as Nocturne. Nocturne had a lot of love put into due to it being a game that shouldn't have existed in its form (Atlus would have never been able to fund a full 3D Megaten game with all of those models without Microsoft's money for Shin Megami Tensei NINE. It was the game to carry out the series and it showed. That being said IV is pretty damn good. It's only problem is that it is far too easy and the art is all over the place. When comparing the human NPC art style with the Demon ArtStyle with the bosses artstyle as well as the artstyle of the allies and enemies of Chaos they are literally completely different. You will see what I mean when you play it.

Soulhouf

So what's the deal with Shin Megami Tensei NINE and If...?

I mean how are they? Any good?

I already beat if... 3 times (SFC and PS1 version) and I love that game.
It's based on 1&2 graphics engine but it has some unique mechanics and the story and some of the characters are among the best in the series.
The game isn't very long but every route is different (there are dungeons that are only accessible to specific routes) and especially the "NG+" one which is almost a different game.
There are 2 concepts in the game that became the base setting of the Persona series later: the game takes place in a school (which has been sucked into the Makai) and each main character is protected by a Guardian.
In a way it's a "Persona 0" and without any doubt my favorite Persona ever.
It's really a fantastic game and if you want to try it, the PS1 version is the one to go (just like 1 and 2).
PS: if you don't mind being spoiled, I wrote this little post about a certain character in the game.

As for NINE, I have no idea. I never owned a XBOX and much less a Japanese one to consider playing it. But from what I saw in the "Kazuma Kaneko Works vol.III", it seems to have some awesome characters/demons.
I hope Atlus decide to make Vita/3DS remake of that one.

cj_iwakura

So what's the deal with Shin Megami Tensei NINE and If...?

I mean how are they? Any good?

NINE is by all accounts, awful. It's a prototype of SMT Imagine, and pretty threadbare.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten4.htm

smt9-6a.jpg

smt9-9a.jpg

It gives me a weird Yakuza vibe.

cj_iwakura

What the hell is Giten Megami Tensei: Mokushiroku!? Looks great!

It isn't. Avoid at all costs.
It has a decent OST though.

I'm also going to imagine that IMAGINE was pretty mediocre being that the community doesn't participate in it. I mean it is an online SMT game, in theory it should be every fans' dream.

I enjoyed it. It has nice atmosphere and music. The US servers die at the end of the month, so if you want to check it out, now's your chance.

So what makes the PSone versions of SMTII and SMTI superior to the SNES versions?

I played the SNES version of SMTII and thought it was good enough.

SJS

So what makes the PSone versions of SMTII and SMTI superior to the SNES versions?

I've never played SMT2 on the PS1, but I do know that it has a remixed soundtrack. I think it's hit or miss, personally. Also, I believe it's graphically upgraded a bit.

Soulhouf

- A much better UI, especially for SMTI which has an awful UI in the SFC version.
The PS1 version of SMTII has probably my favorite UI in all the series.
- Better quality music by Kenichi Tsuchiya and even new tracks (Alice!)
- Graphics are more rich and at the same time keep the pixel art aspect. Sprites for example are really nice and some environments are more detailed (the disco!).
- Smoother scrolling

All that without any loading time.
I rarely recommend remakes over the originals but these are among the few exceptions. They are made with a lot of love.

Aeana

Well I wouldn't say that's the ideal way, it's pretty much the only way to play them in English. The PSX or GBA versions are the ideal ways, but sadly not translated.

It's mainly the UI improvements. They're just dramatically better.

randomkid

Yeah fusion and selling things in SMT1 Super Famicom was pretty grim, I never got far enough to see myself but I gotta believe they fixed some of that in the later versions.

Also I really liked what I heard of the new PSX music, the boss theme was great.

Need some help out of a demon rut--that is, none of the demons I currently have seem particularly useful. I'm not particularly attached to any of them.

My MC is level 39 and I'm currently in Shibuya. Here are my current top 4:

Zouchouten
Mayahuel
Black Frost/Frost Ace
Porewit (still need Agidyne for this guy)

General stock:

Yamawaro (all skills)
Aries
Pabilsag
Samyaza
Wendigo
Basilisk
Shikome
Incubus
Strix (I need to get rid of this fucking thing)
Halphas (and this)

Ose and Rakshasa seem fine, but neither are jumping out at me as something I need. Any suggestions?

randomkid

I'm normally in favor of companies making new stuff, but nothing would please me more than the Maniax team remaking SMT1&2 in the SMT4 engine. Reuse every asset, I don't care, the games deserve to have an American audience and a top to bottom remake would definitely lead to SMT1 being in my all time favorite RPG list.

Soulhouf

I'm normally in favor of companies making new stuff, but nothing would please me more than the Maniax team remaking SMT1&2 in the SMT4 engine. Reuse every asset, I don't care, the games deserve to have an American audience and a top to bottom remake would definitely lead to SMT1 being in my all time favorite RPG list.

PS1 remakes are perfect. I would be happy if they make straight ports of these 3 and put them on the eShop.
The idea of having 3D version of these games scares me, so I prefer to leave it as it is.

I'm about to drop an assload of Macca on Long and Kushinada-Hime--worth it? They have a lot of skills that I haven't seen yet.

Long is a bad ass demon who has at least 2 top tier skills (High Force Pleroma and Draconic Reaction) so there are no reason to not fuse it.
As for Kushinada-Hime, I can't see anything useful coming from that demon.

Ultratech

Got some more Challenge Quests done.

Now I'm just in a pickle on what to fuse (I'm at Lv82 now).

There's quite a few demons I was looking at like Mahamayuri to get Salvation, and Huang Long who's got great resistances and Megidolaon.

But yeah, I dunno.
Decisions, decisions...

Long is a bad ass demon who has at least 2 top tier skills (High Force Pleroma and Draconic Reaction) so there are no reason to not fuse it.

Yup, I can vouch for Long as well.
I kept one in my party for a good while. Great resistances and some good skills.
Had a fun setup on mine with both reflect skills, Doping, and Wind attacks.

Insaniac

Okay guys I got this game on a whim during the holiday e-shop sale and I'm really having a hard time getting back into it. Right now I'm at the
part where you rescue villagers who ran into the forest during the fire
and I've just kinda lost interested. I knew the game would be grindy, but I've gotten bored of the environment (going into that dungeon again and again), and I want to know if I've reached a point in the game where it'll get more interesting. I've been kinda fusing demons and that was interesting, but the combat hasn't been very intriguing, to me yet with access to so few offensive spells.

note: i'm not saying the game is bad

SJS

Okay guys I got this game on a whim during the holiday e-shop sale and I'm really having a hard time getting back into it. Right now I'm at the
and I've just kinda lost interested. I knew the game would be grindy, but I've gotten bored of the environment (going into that dungeon again and again), and I want to know if I've reached a point in the game where it'll get more interesting. I've been kinda fusing demons and that was interesting, but the combat hasn't been very intriguing, to me yet with access to so few offensive spells.

If you're grinding at that point in the game, you're doing something wrong. What's your team?

And don't worry about the lack of offensive spells: that's a given in earlygame SMT.

Korigama

You're getting closer to the point where things will actually start getting interesting. Just a bit more of the current setting to go.

Soulhouf

The game didn't start yet but you're not very far from it.
And like others said, if you're grinding there, you're doing something wrong.

Insaniac

If you're grinding at that point in the game, you're doing something wrong. What's your team?

And don't worry about the lack of offensive spells: that's a given in earlygame SMT.

I was grinding for the sake of grinding because I knew a boss fight was coming up and I had gotten my ass kicked by bosses earlier. I can't state what my team is right now cause I can't check atm, but I have 1 physical demon and 2 spellcasters (one who can defensive buff/heal and the other who is offensive spell caster).

I'm not familiar with the SMT series as this is my first, so I really am just kinda feeling my way in the dark right now

Whoops, I just read the Silent Prayer description more thoroughly--that isn't so hot.

Too many good skills to inherit for Long! I can choose 8...Blight is tempting, but I don't need it--right? My MC has it.

Agidyne
Wind Breath
Tetrakarn
Draconic Reaction
Null Mind
Null Fire
Workaholic
Resist Phys

...Blight?

Is Workaholic worth keeping once Long starts to learn other skills?

Soulhouf

Too many good skills to inherit for Long! I can choose 8...Blight is tempting, but I don't need it--right? My MC has it.

Agidyne
Wind Breath
Tetrakarn
Draconic Reaction
Null Mind
Null Fire
Workaholic
Resist Phys

...Blight?

Is Workaholic worth keeping once Long starts to learn other skills?

Workaholic is useless, unless you have skill augment and the patience to reset until it mutates to something useful.

I was grinding for the sake of grinding because I knew a boss fight was coming up and I had gotten my ass kicked by bosses earlier. I can't state what my team is right now cause I can't check atm, but I have 1 physical demon and 2 spellcasters (one who can defensive buff/heal and the other who is offensive spell caster).

I'm not familiar with the SMT series as this is my first, so I really am just kinda feeling my way in the dark right now

Shin Megami Tensei's 3 Easy Steps to NEVER have to grind:

Step 1: Fuse your demons to in the "Mido" application into stronger demons

Step 2: Recruit new demons

Step 3: Repeat step 1 and step 2 whenever necessary

The only part of the game where I ever had to grind was at the final boss...in hard mode. Even then there were like a gazillion quests that I hadn't done yet despite focusing on them on my second playthrough.

Workaholic is useless, unless you have skill augment and the patience to reset until it mutates to something useful.

Thank you.

Asura! Dude looks rad, but, as always, I have too much to choose from: is Titanomachia very useful without Draconic Reaction? I fucking hate low hit rate skills, as I never feel like they're worth the potential consequences. Wouldn't Blight be a better, more reliable multi-hit skill? What about Heat Wave? Here's how I think he'll look:

Ultratech

Thank you.

Asura! Dude looks rad, but, as always, I have too much to choose from: is Titanomachia very useful without Draconic Reaction? I fucking hate low hit rate skills, as I never feel like they're worth the potential consequences. Wouldn't Blight be a better, more reliable multi-hit skill? What about Heat Wave? Here's how I think he'll look:

Eh, looks alright.

Titanomachia is pretty much up to chance. I tend to avoid low-hit/high-crit moves, but once you put them on better demons with good skills/stats (like Draconic Reaction), they're pretty decent since you got lower chances of missing.
Frankly though, I'd rather not take my chances with RNG.

Heat Wave vs Blight: I'd keep Blight. Chance to Poison is pretty nice, and it's actually pretty strong.
(Much stronger than Heat Wave anyways.)

Null Mind may or may not have some situational use.

Eh, looks alright.

Titanomachia is pretty much up to chance. I tend to avoid low-hit/high-crit moves, but once you put them on better demons with good skills/stats (like Draconic Reaction), they're pretty decent since you got lower chances of missing.
Frankly though, I'd rather not take my chances with RNG.

Heat Wave vs Blight: I'd keep Blight. Chance to Poison is pretty nice, and it's actually pretty strong.
(Much stronger than Heat Wave anyways.)

Null Mind may or may not have some situational use.

Would you keep Null Mind over War Cry? What about Counter? I need room for Phys Pleroma. I swear I spend more time obsessing over which skills to keep than I do actually playing the game!

Top Bottom