• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

cj_iwakura

Just out of curiosity. Is there any explanation as to why Kaneko doesn't seem to be doing... anything anymore?

The most optimistic answer is that he's working on Raidou 3.

The most realistic is that he might be burnt out on Megaten. Last thing he did was some light novel covers.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Yeah, that's the one. Also, holy crap, I've never seen this demon before:

2477187-0447866357-tumbl.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh thank god finally Atlus has an option to adjust music, sound effects, and voice. They have some of the worst mixing imaginable to this will come in handy.

brandnew

Is the story/writing in this game good enough for it to keep me interested if I don't care for grinding/battle system? I absolutely love Persona 3/4, but it's the characters and story beats that really make those games stick out for me. The fusing and grinding is fun and I definitely get into it, but it's secondary. How does SMT IV compare?

inner-G

Banned
Oh thank god finally Atlus has an option to adjust music, sound effects, and voice. They have some of the worst mixing imaginable to this will come in handy.
If you've never messed with the setting, try switching the system to 'Stereo' instead of 'Surround', it helps in a lot of games for me.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What dissapointed you about soul hackers? Could help see if this one for you. Some people say the characters and story are good, others say they are weak.

These two summed up my opinion about it:

I was also disappointed with Soul Hackers: namely because it hadn't aged well at all, and felt obtuse in gameplay, and dated in presentation.

My personal problem with SH was that I felt like it has some of the longest, uninteresting, and tedious dungeons this side of Persona 3/4, but without the dating sim to distract you from how shit the dungeons are. So instead of a five hour break after a lame dungeon in which all your characters learn instruments and form a JPOP band in two days (totemo kawaiiiiii~), which at least distracted from the atrocity of the dungeons if nothing else, Soul Hackers takes the approach of: "That last dungeon was shit, eh? Well, fuck you, go find 22 letters across as many floors in this dungeon! And did I mention fuck you?"

It's just rough all over place.

Wait, WHAT?

That way I could go ahead and start playing the game now, and when my Amazon copy comes tomorrow night, I could just return the Amazon copy to Walmart since it'll still be sealed.

I have to work from 2-10 anyways tomorrow, so it depends on if it's worth doing that to get 6-7 hours of playtime in early, haha.

Samyy

Hmmmm
Are the games generally hard to find or would I be able to walk into a EBGames end of August to buy a copy? Still gotta finish Fire Emblem...

Hmmmm
Are the games generally hard to find or would I be able to walk into a EBGames end of August to buy a copy? Still gotta finish Fire Emblem...
I wouldn't take any risks. Fire Emblem at least had the safety of being a well promoted game from Nintendo. A second print was inevitable. For this, I would expect Aksys to do a second print, but it's not really guaranteed.

I'd play it safe and buy a copy ASAP, if you have the money. If you must wait, though, there's always the digital version if you can't find a copy.

"SHE YOUNG MY GAME TEN SEE? nope don't have it"
Ugh... I forgot about that... It's hard enough calling gamestop sometimes, I'd be surprised if Walmart was any better. But who knows, sometimes you get lucky and the person in the electronics department actually knows about different video games.

brinstar

does anyone know what level David is in this, I haven't done the challenge quest to unlock him but I'm trying to figure out if I should do it right away or not.

Also, how are the other fiends encountered in this?

Top Bottom