• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Necrovex

It seems to be a fucking amazing RPG.

As for the story, yeah, it should be pretty story focused. Expect it to be more serious than what you see in persona too.

If you can beat the Persona games in medium difficulty, I think you'll be okay in IV. There's even an easy mode that triggers after you die two times, so you can play on that so you can enjoy the story and atmosphere and not worry too much about dying in every encounter.

It's not hard. As long as you read the text and fuse you'll be fine.

Most mistakes are from people trying to just use attack over and over.

The stories are good but are presented in a different way than Persona and isn't as character-driven. But besides that the press turn battle system is great, music is as awesome or better than Persona. "Dungeon crawler" here just means the focus is on the dungeons and battles, that's all, but SMT IV looks to have more story than Nocturne and the other main SMT games.

Also no SMT is not super difficult.

Excellent. I'll take the gamble on it when I get paid on Thursday, and when I complete Xenoblade. Especially since I was able rationalize it in my head of it only truly costing me $20 (because of the $30 that was going to go to AA5 anyway).

But hell, I'm still surprise this cost $50.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Kotaku's attempts to make their reviews stand out really aren't reeling me in. Review gimmicks aside, how can dreary environments be a valid complaint for a mainline SMT game, unless they were expecting Persona 4?

Yeah I found that funny. "dreary" environments/atmosphere is one of the best thing about SMT games.

Getting my copy tomorrow and I can't find my damn stylus! Is a stylus helpful at all for this or do you guys keep yours tucked away?

I need one anyway for Animal Crossing so might just stop at GameStop or something on the way home.

Can't wait to crack into this though!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So the first 2 stars Challenge quest. The 1.5 one was piss easy so I said, haha, this'll be cake. Oh lawd hahaha. Hi Charon!

Nags

Banned
The UI and menu navigation is second to none.

If slick menu scrolling action is one of your fetishes, you're going to enjoy this.

Soriku

I saw mention of macca... does that mean you acquire demons via bidding like in Devil Summoner?

You mean Devil Survivor? There's no bidding here, Macca is the general currency in SMT games. In Devil Survivor you used Macca to bid (or retrieve demons from a Compendium) but here you'll be buying items, using the Compendium, giving Macca to demons in negotiations, using it to revive yourself, etc.

ZeroEdge

damn it GAF there goes another $50 on a game due to you GAF Hype..oh well I've been digging the jrpg scene lately so I'm sure I'll enjoy it :)

GeekyDad

That review was a joke. Please don't tell me people take Kotaku seriously with anything.

Also why is everybody complaining about the overworld map?

Less of a review, more like a love letter to his waifu AI partner.

I give that review 5 Douche Nozzles out of 5. But it was clever. That's pretty much Kotaku's thing: meaningless cleverness.

As an aside, my game has now been transferred to the USPS and should be here by lunchtime tomorrow.

Itshappening.gif

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Fuck you all, you magnificent cunts!

*European flavored tears*

Enjoy it, we still have to wait until some yet to be determined date in the future, or not.

Just to make sure, If I order from Amazon right now I'll get the LE box set + Amazon DLC correct? I've never really played an SMT, but the $30 deal sealed it for me. And if I don't like it in the future I shouldn't have a problem selling the LE set right? Thanks!

Holy moly at the twist! I don't wanna spoil you guys but you're in for a treat.

Need help though for anyone who's gotten as far as Tokyo:
tips on beating Medusa? I know she's immune to zio. What's her weakness?

ZenComp

Neo Member
Holy moly at the twist! I don't wanna spoil you guys but you're in for a treat.

Need help though for anyone who's gotten as far as Tokyo:
tips on beating Medusa? I know she's immune to zio. What's her weakness?
She's weak to Zan. Get demons that resist gun.

Does the game support the circle pad pro? I know the dungeons are third person, so it sounds like a second analog stick may be helpful.

Well, I didn't decide that I wanted to buy this at launch until I heard about the FE:A promo, and I forgot to preorder. Anyone knows how many copies are going out? Finding one won't be too bad right?

Jessicat

Is it easier to recruit a demon after you've lowered its hp?
Actually, in some cases that makes it worse XD

And you buggers, I mentioned AI Palutena a few pages ago and no one cared :B

Also, kinda spoiler challenge quest question:
where do you find all the "calamity hoard" demons on Naraku 3f? I don't want to run around in that poison if I don't have to XD I've found 3/5 so far
*edit* found it, and omg that was an intense battle with a familiar theme XD Too bad the exp is so low that nothing feels like an accomplishment in this game ._.;

Well, I didn't decide that I wanted to buy this at launch until I heard about the FE:A promo, and I forgot to preorder. Anyone knows how many copies are going out? Finding one won't be too bad right?

s9E7bcil.jpg

The way it should be...

:p

Midou

It's so nice to be able to explore in a dungeon not worrying about running out of macca from walking around, that aspect of soul hackers was so nerve wracking for me.

Soriku

It's so nice to be able to explore in a dungeon not worrying about running out of macca from walking around, that aspect of soul hackers was so nerve wracking for me.

You lost magnetite not macca (the game had two currencies). Though it gets to be a non-issue after the beginning.

Seeing a lot of mixed reviews about the story. Some say it's weak, other's say it's quite engaging.

I get that it's not character-driven like Persona, I just hope that it's good enough to keep me interested.

Never played through a mainline SMT before, so not really knowing what's in store.

Top Bottom