• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Mupod

IT'S HERE

jtV2wA4K7RgTq.png

nobody loves yurlungur because he's not a cute little girl

j5mFJTR8uPaoK.png

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is really honestly surprising and very very jarring to actually not see the game over screen as soon as the MC's HP got zeroed.

Anyways, anyone here care to educate me on a proper magical or physical build please? Perhaps someone here is knowledgeable enough to give pointers? :)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of feel bad I don't have a favorite demon even after so many SMT games. They just seem so... expendable when you fuse them :(

GeekyDad

You get the credit TODAY? I thought they made it sound like you'd get it in september or something.

Yup. Registered the game, did the short survey, and then the code is added to your "to do" list. Then you just kinda "get it" like you would any of the other CN items, and the code is both presented to you on the next page and sent to you via email. Entered the code on the eShop, and my $30 was instantly added.

And in other news...

Named my character Akogare. I really dig the 3D effect in the game, though it's unfortunate there seems to be quite a bit of ghosting. No matter, I'll probably play with the effect on for at least the early part of the game. It just looks so good. If it starts to hurt, I'll turn it off, but this might be the second game (ironically Awakening being the only other) I can stand the effect for long periods of time.

Nags

Banned
It is really honestly surprising and very very jarring to actually not see the game over screen as soon as the MC's HP got zeroed.

Anyways, anyone here care to educate me on a proper magical or physical build please? Perhaps someone here is knowledgeable enough to give pointers? :)

Well I have been dumping most of my points into MAG and AGI for my magic build. Nice to have a MC that can cast magic again after SJ and SH.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
IT'S HERE

nobody loves yurlungur because he's not a cute little girl

j5mFJTR8uPaoK.png

Aw, but he's like a little snakey rainbow.

People like rainbows, right?

Kind of feel bad I don't have a favorite demon even after so many SMT games. They just seem so... expendable when you fuse them :(

I always wait as long as I can on Kikurihime. It's sad times when I have to fuse her. :<

Watashiwa

Which sites should I trust for Japanese rpgs?

Destructoid, usgamer, Siliconera's impressions (they don't exactly do reviews).

And SMTIV just flipped to "Out For Delivery". Crossing fingers!

Am I the only one who finished Nocturne in preparation for this? TDE, 91% compendium. Stayed up until 1:30a; felt pretty smug afterwards.

Yup. Registered the game, did the short survey, and then the code is added to your "to do" list. Then you just kinda "get it" like you would any of the other CN items, and the code is both presented to you on the next page and sent to you via email. Entered the code on the eShop, and my $30 was instantly added.

And in other news...

Named my character Akogare. I really dig the 3D effect in the game, though it's unfortunate there seems to be quite a bit of ghosting. No matter, I'll probably play with the effect on for at least the early part of the game. It just looks so good. If it starts to hurt, I'll turn it off, but this might be the second game (ironically Awakening being the only other) I can stand the effect for long periods of time.

Im thinking the ghosting is intentional. Nocturnes had the same ghost blur effect.

Volcynika

Since the game is out and such, remember to keep in mind your spoilers, everyone. Haven't seen any yet but good spoiler tags with context help!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled "CRAP I DIED"

Refyref

Nobody said they are using Belial, so I took it. Didn't do a great job, I'll fix it when I get back.

EDIT: Whoops, messed up transparency. Although that might have been the GAF resizer.

GeekyDad

Im thinking the ghosting is intentional. Nocturnes had the same ghost blur effect.

Hmm...interesting. Either way, I'm not feeling any physical pain with the effect on. Fire Emblem was the only other game that both looked good in 3D and didn't cause my eyes to immediately hurt. They seem to have a really good grasp of how to do depth with this game, which is surprising because the impression I got from at least one (reputable) Youtuber who played the JP version was the 3D was god-awful. Guess his eyes just aren't compatible for this game.

TEJ

In the design book Ryota Koduka states he was in kindergarten 10 years ago.....he joined atlus in 2008....so he was 10 when he joined atlus since kindergarten is around the ages of 4-6 range...

.....was this just a bad translation? Or is Index so corrupt that they hire 10 year olds to make games for them? I've heard stories about how rough the working conditions are for a Japanese game designer.

Fuck, why does this game have to arrive an hour before work. It's like the universe knows I don't have the time to play it and it's just mocking me.

Soo... Let's say I got tired of waiting for Amazon to ship my limited Ed. Copy, and I went to GameStop and just bought the box set instead of waiting 3-5 days, pathetic or just eager? Please weigh in haha.

Got my copy this morning. I dramatically overestimated my restraint when I said I would pick up the game and wait until after the bar exam to start it. SMT4, Brave New World, and the Steam summer sale couldn't have come at a worse time.

Mupod

seems like the code for the armor set I got for preordering from ebgames isn't working yet. Says it's not being distributed. Oh well, I'll try later.

Got my $30 eshop code already but it didn't seem to give me a choice of the wii u version like it said it would. I don't care, just sayin'.

Soo... Let's say I got tired of waiting for Amazon to ship my limited Ed. Copy, and I went to GameStop and just bought the box set instead of waiting 3-5 days, pathetic or just eager? Please weigh in haha.

Perfectly fine. If I wasn't working until 10 tonight (my copy will be here around 5), I would have done the same thing.

QaaQer

This is probably the best manual I've ever received in a game. Anyone considering buying the game digitally: don't. The bonus stuff is stellar.

And as a side note, I got this from futureshop. They had a discount special during e3 for preorders, so the cost was $33 with free shipping. And I got a $30 eshop credit with Ninty for registering it.

Really happy with my $3 purchase.

seems like the code for the armor set I got for preordering from ebgames isn't working yet. Says it's not being distributed. Oh well, I'll try later.

Got my $30 eshop code already but it didn't seem to give me a choice of the wii u version like it said it would. I don't care, just sayin'.

I had the same issue when I tried to do it from the eShop, but in-game it worked fine. Try that.

Busaiku

Life stone is just a healing item. You must be getting a Life stone as a drop after every battle.

I don't know why I didn't check my inventory, but yeah, that's it.
Burrough's kept telling me I have a certain amount left to go, but I guess that meant the maximum.

knkng

Not sure what you mean, just enter the code on the Wii U eshop and you will get the money. I've already done it since I'm putting it towards Pikmin 3.

Mupod

I had the same issue when I tried to do it from the eShop, but in-game it worked fine. Try that.

That worked, thanks.

Not sure what you mean, just enter the code on the Wii U eshop and you will get the money. I've already done it since I'm putting it towards Pikmin 3.

Oh. It specifically says 3DS eshop only, so I had no reason to think otherwise. But this is AA5 money anyways, so I didn't bother trying.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Woo, got my copy from GameStop finally & got the $30 in eShop credit! & wow, just glancing at the book, it looks like really nice quality.

(offer for trading GS DLC outfit for Amazon one if anyone wants it....)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't know why I didn't check my inventory, but yeah, that's it.
Burrough's kept telling me I have a certain amount left to go, but I guess that meant the maximum.

Oh, that's because of a challenge quest. You can repeat them infinitely for Macca. So she will always notify you when you get one of the required drops

LProtag

So before I delve into the game, I'm going to assume that like with most SMT games a focused build is better than an all around one, right? I'm thinking magic is the way to go.

Top Bottom