• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Do you learn specific skills from specific demons, then? That seems like kind of a pain versus the Magatama system.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Being forced to use a specific demon just to siphon a skill out of it seems like kind of a pain in the butt, especially if it only works once per demon. Magatama system was a lot more intuitive, I think. Thanks for letting me know, though.

Except demons not in battle still get XP and level up and since most get all their skills after 1 or 2 levels, it's super easy and fast.

Except demons not in battle still get XP and level up and since most get all their skills after 1 or 2 levels, it's super easy and fast.

I just very rarely switch demons unless I have to - once I get attached, I usually stick to one party or the other for large swathes of the game. Having to basically keep one party slot always reserved for "skill bitch" is kind of frustrating, though I guess I'll have to see just how much when I actually see the system in action.

Of course, in Nocturne, for the entire last quarter of the game I had Dante taking up a slot at all times, so that's kind of the same thing.

pigz

Neo Member
Do you learn specific skills from specific demons, then? That seems like kind of a pain versus the Magatama system.

It allows you to move any of the skills the demon has, for good. Also if you have a skill that the demon has it is automatically leveled up (more powerful, less casting cost etc). This ties the MC skills to the fusion system which is pretty neat.

8 hrs in it only has taken like 1 - 4 levels for any demon o max out it's learning

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh damn you could go back to the barracks and rest during the training mission? That would have helped, haha. I thought it was pretty tough.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just very rarely switch demons unless I have to - once I get attached, I usually stick to one party or the other for large swathes of the game. Having to basically keep one party slot always reserved for "skill bitch" is kind of frustrating, though I guess I'll have to see just how much when I actually see the system in action.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I am not sure what your problem is haha. As long as a demon is in your current stock, it gains XP. You don't have to use them in battle. You can have your main party and then every other demon in your stock levels up and can gift you their skills anyway.

Furthermore, thanks to Burroughs upgrades, and the new fusion system you can add pretty much any skill to any demon and get them stats as good as anything else, with enough effort. Pretty sure you could get a Level 99 Pixie with beast Mag and Mediarahan and Megidolaon.

So if you like specific demons, for once they are actually viable.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Since other people are doing it...

Can someone make me the Vivian avatar from that bunch.. unless someone took it, which I haven't seen yet.

Don't know if someone took it or not, but here you are:

inD5tMEzT5JQm.png

Watashiwa

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Being forced to use a specific demon just to siphon a skill out of it seems like kind of a pain in the butt, especially if it only works once per demon. Magatama system was a lot more intuitive, I think. Thanks for letting me know, though.

Dude, you're reaching. The Magatama system was hopeless opaque unless you had a guide to see what each of them yielded, and if you weren't familiar with the franchise it was very easy to delete some of the best skills in the game early on.

Oh, any chance of someone doing Masakado? Would love to have him as an avatar.

SeZMehK

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I am not sure what your problem is haha. As long as a demon is in your current stock, it gains XP. You don't have to use them in battle. You can have your main party and then every other demon in your stock levels up and can gift you their skills anyway.

Furthermore, thanks to Burroughs upgrades, and the new fusion system you can add pretty much any skill to any demon and get them stats as good as anything else, with enough effort. Pretty sure you could get a Level 99 Pixie with beast Mag and Mediarahan and Megidolaon.

So if you like specific demons, for once they are actually viable.

The stock demons look like they only gain half the exp you earn. I don't know but that's what it looks like to me. I can be wrong...

Ourobolus

Banned
So with Skill Whispering, can I re-learn a skill if I delete it? Say I have Agi and 7 other skills, and I learn a new skill, replacing Agi. If I later want to learn Agi, can I?

SeZMehK

Yeah, I don't recommend that. I just started the game as well, but my experience with this series tells me a focused build is probably the way to go. A jack-of-all-trades is probably the best way to make things miserable for yourself later on in the game.

Well shit. Looks like I will have to stop going all around and put it in Mag... I am only level 11, should I start over? I picked up a few demons that I like...

tornjaw

Ordered it off of Amazon. I didn't even realize that there was a limited edition or that I was going to get that instead. ... Not sure that I want to open this. =|

Stoof

Sorry to ask this again, but could someone make an avatar out of number 8? I don't know the name but I would like to snag him. Any help is appreciated. :)

GeekyDad

Well shit. Looks like I will have to stop going all around and put it in Mag... I am only level 11, should I start over? I picked up a few demons that I like...

Nah, I wouldn't. Why break the pacing of your experience of the game for something so trivial? Besides, you probably would have thrown at least a couple of points elsewhere here and there.

SeZMehK

So with Skill Whispering, can I re-learn a skill if I delete it? Say I have Agi and 7 other skills, and I learn a new skill, replacing Agi. If I later want to learn Agi, can I?

You can but the thing is, if a demon whispers you a skill you have already, the skill is powered up. For example, you have Agi and the demon also has Agi + Bufu. Your Agi will automatically be upgraded to Agi+1. It becomes a bit stronger.

Ourobolus

Banned
You can but the thing is, if a demon whispers you a skill you have already, the skill is pwered up. For example you have Agi and the demon also has Agi + Bufu. Your Agi will automatically be upgraded to Agi+1. It becomes a bit stronger.

Huh...that's interesting. Is there a cap on that? Can Agi, say, become stronger than Agilao?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
- I completed the first dungeon ritual. I had one "game over" so far. I'm using "'s because it's impossible to have game overs in SMT4. When your party is wiped out, you end up going to limbo where the dead wait to be carried off to the Land of the Dead. A character offers to revive you - for a macca fee. Don't have enough money? It goes on your tab. If your mc dies in battle, you don't get a game over. This resulted in me just cruising through battles even if the mc dies once I had a full party. This, in combination with the ability to save anywhere, could put off some more hardcore SMT fans. Right now I'm not at the point where I really mind, but as it is, you cannot get a game over. I've basically been playing on autopilot so far and it's not really challenging to a vet like me, but I'm sure it'll pick up soon. It's not like the hospital was tough in SMT3 so it's logical to have some reservations.

You can get a game over. The tab is not cumulative. It works once. Die again without paying it back and it's over

VariantX

My copy was just delivered in the mail not 30 mins ago along with a new 32 gig SD card for my 3DS. Having never played games from this series before, the Limited edition box set + $30 credit to go towards another game made this too easy of a purchase decision to make. I'm in for a ride aren't I?

Sleepy

Really, Atlus? The average song length for the OST is ~2 minutes? Awesome package, nonetheless. Going to register the game now! $30 here I come.

TheExodu5

Banned
So how are guns? Are they annoying to use? Can't decide how to level up my MC yet...I've just been pouring points into STR.

Also, does AGI affect my hit rate? The text says it affects evasion, but makes no mention of hit rate.

So how are guns? Are they annoying to use? Can't decide how to level up my MC yet...I've just been pouring points into STR.

Also, does AGI affect my hit rate? The text says it affects evasion, but makes no mention of hit rate.

Str is said to be bad in this game. I've heard it only affects your normal attack and Dex is better. I suggest looking it up if you can.

Ok, I'm not waiting for my newegg copy to arrive in the mail...

Gonna buy it at Best Buy tonight and then return my newegg copy to Best Buy once I get it in the mail Wednesday.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Made a few from my favorites (that I THINK I haven't seen people using yet, sorry if you are!)

ip716K6N3RSVg.png

ibeSUMie2hbC76.png

iLZDnVVO05ojJ.png

iH2oqvt66dtJC.png

And some requests I saw:

ifWQRvhhDLbKf.png

ibyP6N2x908f5H.png

Did anyone take Ose (#14) Yet? If not, I'll claim that one. I Just picked it up on the eShop, I'll get to it later tonight.

Edit: And now I don't even have to make it myself. Thanks!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Did anyone take Ose (#14) Yet? If not, I'll claim that one. I Just picked it up on the eShop, I'll get to it later tonight.

Edit: And now I don't even have to make it myself. Thanks!

I realized I hadn't edited out part of the white, so make sure you take the re-edited version!

Sleepy

the credit comes through immediately. now if the site will stop crashing...

I cannot wait to play this game this weekend. Bailing out of the thread, no spoilers.

I only got to play for about a half hour, but everything impresses me incredibly so far. It looks amazing, plays great and comes with a lot of goodies. It's nice to not have buyer's remorse for a Day One.

Knocking it out of the park, Atlus.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Okay this game provides the feeling I have been chasing after since I first started Persona 4. The futility of attempting to hit blobs with a sword.

KakesuSora

tumblr_mq1l4fW49l1ql423to2_500.jpg

Finally got it. Also, since when do Gamestops make you show your ID for trade-ins? The kid in front of me got stopped and had to go get his Mom, but they didn't say anything to me even though I'm 16.

Finally got it. Also, since when do Gamestops make you show your ID for trade-ins? The kid in front of me got stopped and had to go get his Mom, but they didn't say anything to me even though I'm 16.

To my knowledge they always ask for your information (name, address, phone, etc.)

At least every trade-in I've always done has had that information attached to the bottom of the trade-in receipt.

Top Bottom