• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

jersoc

quick question. does this game use the CPP at all? doesnt seem to work and I see no options so i guess no.

even the 3ds xl is too small for me. thumb and hand cramps with 20 mins :|
really wish nintendo would release an external controller or something.

Ourobolus

Banned
Didn't get to play last night much unfortunately. Did the first quest and got ambushed and destroyed on the second.

Really stupid question: I can interact with signs and doors, but how do you interact with the other exclamation points? Like the crawl space in Naraku in the very beginning? Or the spot at the top of the stairs? I feel like an idiot.

FaceDa

Banned
Didn't get to play last much unfortunately. Did the first quest and got ambushed and destroyed on the second.

Really stupid question: I can interact with signs and doors, but how do you interact with the other exclamation points? Like the crawl space in Naraku in the very beginning? Or the spot at the top of the stairs? I feel like an idiot.

Press up or down on the DPAD. They explain it eventually.

coopolon

I think the save anywhere has made atlus think they can make the game as unfairly difficult as possible and no one will mind.

I'm in naraku for the second time, step through the door and immediately get ambushed by two gryphons before I can move or do anything, I basically spawned on top of them. The first gryphon hits me for 90 damage on the first move and I'm dead.

I mean sure, every once in awhile in previous games you would get expelled, but this is happening every third fight. And don't talk to me about strategy, I just unlocked demon fusion 5 seconds ago!

Hylian7

I'm in the forest area pretty early in the game. I'm going to throw out my theory now, I've had this theory since all the trailers and such,

Like "The Village", this game actually takes place in modern day Japan, but Mikado and the surrounding villages are the Japanese equivalent of Amish communities. The part with Isabeau reading "manna" pretty much sealed the deal on it in my head, but on top of that there are the gauntlets as well as the Black Samurai wearing a Demonica from Strange Journey. If this game ties to SJ at all, I'm going to guess we are either in the Schwarzwelt, or in the same time period of SJ's events.

I died.

IN THE TUTORIAL LEVEL. A DAMN TAKASHI MURAKAMI WANNABE FAIRY KILLED ME.

I died in the tutorial level as well. Magic does alot of damage early on.
Slowly making progress though. I going to make my guy magic based, but I'm putting points in agility and strength until I start getting some magic.

Ourobolus

Banned
I died.

IN THE TUTORIAL LEVEL. A DAMN TAKASHI MURAKAMI WANNABE FAIRY KILLED ME.

Ditto. I only had time to play a little bit, but I recruited a Centaur, a Mokoi, and then got creamed by a Lhan Dearg and Napaea.

Oh SMT...I've missed you.

EDIT: I'm pumping MAG and LUC. Here's hoping that goes well. Should I pump AGI instead of LUC with MAG?

What do you guys think of the characters so far? So far, I like them, Isabeau and Walter most of all, but Johnathon is cool too, even Navarre that bastard is all right with me....but seeing as this is SMT, I fully expect things to go heavy sideways.

Something weird happened last night. I tried recruiting a Chagrin but was too low level so it summoned a friend instead. This bird man creature shows up that didn't speak english. I don't know if they missed it's dialogue during translation but it was just numbers and symbols.

Soulhouf

Just watch, the end game is going to totally favor strength base char's and all us silly sheep who jumped on the mag train are going to be screwed and you guys can laugh at us.

You can't go wrong with magic. Since the MC can learn anything, I can't imagine how broken he will be when he will get Victory Cry and the uber almighty spells later.
Even without high MAG, my MC is already unstoppable thanks to the magic drain he freshly learned. Oh well...
Since I will play the game multiple times, I want to try everything. That's why my first playthrough will be experimental.

Didn't get much opportunity to play yesterday as it was a big day, but I died several times during the tutorial. Usually with a OHKO. Save anywhere lessens the impact but I prefer not having the temptation to save scum. I think DQ might have my favorite death penalty in RPGs right now. Save only in churches but no game over--all exp and items saved on death but lose half money and have to run to the dungeon and start it over.

Liking it so far

Volcynika

When I stream tonight, I will fortunately know that the armor I bought was a TERRIBLE decision against the enemy I need to defeat. I need to find a centaur though, but I haven't seen any in a while.

Ourobolus

Banned
Something weird happened last night. I tried recruiting a Chagrin but was too low level so it summoned a friend instead. This bird man creature shows up that didn't speak english. I don't know if they missed it's dialogue during translation but it was just numbers and symbols.

If it's like any other SMT game, some demons speak gibberish until you equip something/install an app/etc.

Alucrid

Banned

nah, that's correct. he's just a crazy mofo

Volcynika

I understand, friend, I understand. His face, is a monstrosity, and a work of art, it speaks to me.

lBBgurF.png

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
?????????

I have never played a Megaten game where the battles were ever "long" or "drawn out", unless I was doing the fight wrong. Lol.
In Nocturne and DDS and Survivor I had plenty of those. Lots of buffing, healing, chipping, debuffing, and while hitting weaknesses did good damage, they didn't one shot you (well...mudo and that holy spell aside). I do know harder new game plus modes were all out war and luck though.
Surprise? The special fights seem to all be red enemies, while normal are blue...
I meant I'm exploring and then SURPRISE! YOU'RE FUCKED! I barely managed the first two and the third I died. I managed to beat him, but then the fourth I'm stuck on but I just have to get the right skills.

ttocs

I was not prepared for how difficult this game is. Man, my skills have deteriorated the further into my 20's I've gotten. It's as if any skills I gained playing NES games back in the day have been overwritten with the current gen game.

I did switch to the easier difficulty though. How have you guys enjoyed that difficulty level? Is it noticeably different?

daveo42

Banned
Got about 3 hours of gamplay in according to the in-game clock, but I probably spent closer to 3.5-4 hours in game thanks to several deaths and not saving after every battle. The early game is really unforgiving, but I'm making progress. I just want more app points, since there are several ones I want, but they are all so damn expensive off the bat.

Maybe it's time to start fusing off some of my guys since I've already hit 8 demons in my party.

Edit: Any of the avatars still available?

Soulhouf

I was not prepared for how difficult this game is. Man, my skills have deteriorated the further into my 20's I've gotten. It's as if any skills I gained playing NES games back in the day have been overwritten with the current gen game.

I did switch to the easier difficulty though. How have you guys enjoyed that difficulty level? Is it noticeably different?

You didn't play Nocturne on hard or Devil Summoner, did you?
So far I didn't die in SMTIV yet. The fact that when the MC dies that doesn't end the fight made it really easy.
I wish there was an option to increase the difficulty level. But I guess it's only the beginning and it will get harder later.

CSX

Should be useful for status effects. If for some reason Luck doesn't do that in this game, I can always dump that into AGI.

EDIT: Luckily I've only leveled once, so I'm not past any point of no return.

luck decreases chances of getting hit by instant death spells and increases chances of landing critical hits.

I been pouring 2-3 pts into it every level and i have about a 40 chance of landing a crit every attack. Feels good man :)

ttocs

You didn't play Nocturne on hard or Devil Summoner, did you?
So far I didn't die in SMTIV yet. The fact that when the MC dies that doesn't end the fight made it really easy.
I wish there was an option to increase the difficulty level. But I guess it's only the beginning and it will get harder later.

I salute you because I am horrible at difficult games. I love playing games though and I'm glad they give the option for an easier setting for those of us who just can't cut it.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Japanese wiki says luck also affects item drop rate. It feeeels like I am getting lots of items, sitting at 45 luck at level 15. I have like 12 revival leaves even though I only bought one at the beginning of the game.

Forkball

Where the hell is this moss? I found one, but I keep going down to levels that are obviously too tough (the poison area). Where are the other two?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Got my game yesterday. I'll probably start playing it on Thursday. Think my Club Nintendo registration was messed up so hopefully the $30 thing works later.

I highly recommend if we have an OT2 to make it

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT2| The Dark Souls of Pokemon.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Now I feel bad that I've dumped a generally even amount in to Dex/Mag/Agi/Luck in my like first 8 levels. Maybe I'll go 4 Mag and alternate Agi/Luck for the next few levels to even things out. I don't think I really want to go Guns anymore since its so easy for the MC to gain spells from demons and his MP is relatively high.

Soulhouf

I salute you because I am horrible at difficult games. I love playing games though and I'm glad they give the option for an easier setting for those of us who just can't cut it.

Since you can save anywhere, it's not a big deal even if the difficulty is brutal. That way you can quickly learn the mechanics without frustration and once you'll get the hang of it, you won't die anymore.

Casual

Banned
So I had FE digitally before, and now bought this digitally...my 3DS wasn't registered when I bought FE though, am I screwed when it comes to the $30 credit?

Doesn't look like there's anything on my Club Nintendo page indicating I have FE (or SM for that matter).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I didn't touch luck at all so far. Seems that I am making a mistake. I did put a few points in Str and Dex, just to make things a tad even. Maybe I should focus on Luck a bit.

Gilgamesh

Where the hell is this moss? I found one, but I keep going down to levels that are obviously too tough (the poison area). Where are the other two?

I think relic drops are random but if they're not, the deposits refresh eventually. I think I found all my moss on the first floor.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So I had FE digitally before, and now bought this digitally...my 3DS wasn't registered when I bought FE though, am I screwed when it comes to the $30 credit?

Doesn't look like there's anything on my Club Nintendo page indicating I have FE (or SM for that matter).
Call/email them, they'll set you up, worked for everyone else in the same situation.

Top Bottom